Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    not sure if this helps anyone, but I noticed a couple things while using the chroot environment.

might be a wise choice to use wifi, I know my data plan is okay for tethering/downloading, but I'm not sure how other carriers will see data being sent from browsers or apt as "allowed". just be something to be weary of unless you know you won't get a bank breaking bill for data.

also since there seems to be a few linux newbs around (atleast debian newbs), I'd suggest an alternative to apt-get, I just encountered a bug in apt-get that won't allow installing or upgrading repositories. aptitude seems to work flawlessly (aside from being slower).

some handy commands:

aptitude update
    - (this will update all the repositories listed in /media/cf/etc/apt/sources.list)

aptitude upgrade
    - (similar to update, only it will install all the available updates)

aptitude install {package name}
    - (this will install packages, you can list more than one)

apt-cache search {package name}
    - (this will search all the repos you have in sources.list, and display results)

instead of using top to find a frozen PID (I find that top in both xterm, and terminus are too cramped) you can try:
    ps aux |grep {process name}

-then to kill the app, look for the PID (4 or 5 digit number beside the username in the command above's output)
    kill {pid}

also to search for files or directories (not sure if this is the orthadox method, but its how I've used it) for something, you can try (from /)
    find |grep {search query}
    or if you want less output at once:
    find |grep {query} |grep more

sorry if this seems redundant, but I saw a few posts in this thread asking for some tips to do such things.. aside from the apt stuff, these can be used on any *nix systems. I figured I'd post these, but I imagine most people trying to get x server installed know what it is and how to use a CLI, if you don't, then I'd suggest learning it.

I just think this phone is the coolest device now that xserver is on it, I can't thank you guys enough, I'm so excited!

EDIT - I've been fooling around with terminus, and it seems it can run the "screen" commandline tool. it doesn't render very well, but it works. "screen" lets you setup a bunch of commandline sessions inside one terminal window (in this case 1 card). can also let you detach and resume your sessions. I haven't tried it for chroots yet though, I'll see.
    Last edited by tedrampart; 04/21/2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: added a good utility idea
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    gmoj1: you have to edit the startup.sh script in org.webos-internals.xorgserver. You'll see a line commented out that changes to landscape

ws6kid: the flash plugins are all currently for x86 platforms, so no
    full path to startup.sh pls?
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    full path to startup.sh pls?
    ./media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xorg-server/start.sh
    anyway to differentiate portrait for xterm and landscape for window managers?
    you could try maybe the program xrandr, it can set portrait or landscape within X. there might be others that do it too.
    Wow this is great. I got both icewm and fvwm installed and running. Both come very bare bones and I have no idea how to configure them. Reading the fvwm beginners guide but whoa...
    I remember using icewm way back on slackware linux, this must be going back about 13 years. it was the only thing that could run decent enough on my 486 (which was slow even back then).

if its anything like back then (haven't looked since), icewm should be configurable with a conf or rc dot (hidden file, you can see them using "ls -a") file in the home folder, but since the debian chroot doesn't really have home configured by default, you may have to create one using the main file it accesses. unless I'm that much of a dinosaur, and it has some config guis now?

fvwm looks good too, I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm going to try and port some of the openmoko* window managers over, one used gtk mostly, and another was just a themed e17. and if I remember correctly, it used opkg, which was just a modified ipkg system.

*openmoko is an opensource project, to create a completely open mobile phone, for those who aren't sure what I'm talking about.
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    anyway to differentiate portrait for xterm and landscape for window managers?
    Presently best you could do is copy the contents of the start.sh for the xorg-server into the start.sh for xterm (instead of the xterm calling into the xorg-server one).

Then, now that your xterm's invocation of the Xsdl binary is separate from when you just launch xorg-server, you can modify each however you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    you could try maybe the program xrandr, it can set portrait or landscape within X. there might be others that do it too.
    XRANDR extension support for rotating the display is something I'm working on in my spare time--it's on the TODO, and is the preferred way to change screen orientation, not mucking with shell scripts . But that's what you get for playing with beta software before it's all done .

As usual, not ETA on that, no guarantee it'll make it into the next (or any) release .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Any window managers that are going to be ideal to start with? I don't want to get into configuring one from scratch atm, and when I choose a theme from the start menu in icewm, icewm restarts but no changes are made. It stays at default theme.

Also, how would I go about getting files into my debian environment from, say, my local computer or the pre's file system?
    I have the same problem with my icewm (but I only tried it a few times before trying out matchbox with fbpanel).. I think its because its missing the file it needs to write the changes to, OR, the filesystem is read only?

the only one I can find that seems to be setup small enough for the screen, is matchbox, but it also needs some tweaks.

does anyone else seem to have trouble writing out within nano? I press enter, and it just sits there, do I need to remount the filesystem as rw?
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Just a note with fvwm, you'll want to run the "95 script" once it's up and going. Then it'll look and feel just like windows 95. I think icewm looks a little better but the "desker" module in fvwm is a life saver for navigating "off screen". I've even got my virtual areas hot keyed now so I can just gesture + various letters to pan around.

- phil_bw -
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hi guys, this is all really good stuff! Thanks to everyone working on this! I have 2 quick questions though. If I want to edit something in nano, how do I move the curser around? Are there any keys that are the arrow keys? Also is there a right click? I have LXDE installed.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeboxer View Post
    Hi guys, this is all really good stuff! Thanks to everyone working on this! I have 2 quick questions though. If I want to edit something in nano, how do I move the curser around? Are there any keys that are the arrow keys? Also is there a right click? I have LXDE installed.
    Right-click and arrow keys are not implemented yet, although both would be easy--I just need a good "scheme" that makes sense.

So if people want to start a discussion here about what keybindings/etc make sense, that would be useful, else I'll continue having such discussions internally (webos-internally? heh), on IRC, etc.

Use vi(m)! Arrow keys are hjkl.... and it's good for the soul...
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    I personally like the tap+hold for right click.

so a regular tap is left button, and tap and hold for 2 secs or something is a right click. is that easy to do?
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Right-click and arrow keys are not implemented yet, although both would be easy--I just need a good "scheme" that makes sense.

So if people want to start a discussion here about what keybindings/etc make sense, that would be useful, else I'll continue having such discussions internally (webos-internally? heh), on IRC, etc.

Use vi(m)! Arrow keys are hjkl.... and it's good for the soul...
    I would advocate the same key bindings as the webOS-Internals Terminal program with the same use of sticky states for "gesture", "orange", "shift", and "sym" keys to allow for one handed use.

Thanks again for providing the use of X-server and X-clients for the Pre!

plee3
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    I would advocate the same key bindings as the webOS-Internals Terminal program with the same use of sticky states for "gesture", "orange", "shift", and "sym" keys to allow for one handed use.

Thanks again for providing the use of X-server and X-clients for the Pre!

plee3
    I think that's a good idea as well.

- phi_bw -
    wow this is amazing.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    i'm digging pidgin as my instant messenger. i was surprised to find that sound even works. thanks everyone for the xserver and for the info!
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    ok, so I found out that if you open nano from 'Terminal' application, not XTerm, you can use the "sym" key as control. So I found that sym + b is to move back, sym + v is to go to the end and also sym + o to write out and sym + x is to exit

to phwelo - I am trying to set up pidgin but I can't click on the text field to enter the user name or password, the cursor wont show up in that field. Is there a trick, maybe tab or something to move through the fields?

Also about making a script to mount everything, I did these 3, but for some reason the mount and unmount scripts won't work. Here are the scripts

Mounting:
    #!/bin/sh
    mount -o loop /media/internal/debsmall.img /media/cf
    mount --bind /dev /media/cf/dev
    mount -t devpts none /media/cf/dev/pts
    mount -t proc none /media/cf/proc
    mount -o bind /tmp /media/cf/tmp
    Unmounting:
    #!/bin/sh
    umount /media/cf/dev/pts
    umount /media/cf/dev
    umount /media/cf/proc
    umount /media/cf/tmp
    umount /media/cf
    Also I made a script to chroot like this which actually works except for the last thing I tell it to do:
    #!/bin/sh
    export DISPLAY=:0.0
    /usr/sbin/chroot /media/cf startlxde
    This one won't actually get me into the desktop, I need to type the same command again. Anyone with a reason as to why it won't work. I wrote them in nano on the phone, saved them in /var/usr/root and chmod 0755 to all of them...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    oh and one more thing, why can't I ssh to my phone from my computer? It says Permission denied (publickey). I have all the ssh stuff installed, server, regular, dropbear...whats going on here?