Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    And here's some of my feedback:

Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    what about using matchbox instead of fvwm? its setup pretty well for embedded touchscreen devices and is in the debian repositories. I have it running on mine, and it seems alright from a first launch. I'll post a screenshot in a sec if I can.
    I actually tried matchbook myself and I agree it is the most "fat finger friendly". Fvwm wasn't actually my first choice, wasn't my second choice, third either. The reason I went with it was simply for the "virtual desktop" aspect. On a small screen it seems dialogs wander off the screen a lot. So being able to "page" over to the off screen area really helps. I hope to modify fvwm to look like a cross between icewm and matchbox but retain the virtual desktop capability.

Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Well, thanks to Microsoft's influence in WebOS, apparently 8 gigs is too big!

I'm going for 3.5 gigs now, and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be enough for short-term tinkering. Every time that I have ever installed X on a Linux box in the past, there never seemed to be enough disk space free to actually use it.....
    I am at 1.5gigs myself with:
    - xchat
    - pidgin
    - openoffice suite
    - abiword
    - half a dozen window mangers
    - dependencies for all of it

I think I'm getting close though. Also, if you fill up your space and it's all configured the way you like remember that you can expand your img as it is without having to start from scratch.

- phil_bw -
    I just found a work around for hitting control+c. It seems that the gesture+c or x or v are not working because the pre thinks they are for copy and paste etc.

So, the simple work around is to use gesture+shift+c. It seems to work exactly like I'd expected control+c to work. Hope some of you find this useful.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We're after a solution that lives on the vfat on /media/internal, grows and shrinks instead of being a fixed size limit, can be triggered by SIGUSR2 and SIGUSR2 from /usr/sbin/storaged for USB mode, and understands symlinks.

A simple loopfs is a fixed size and chokes when usb drive mode is entered.

But umsdos is interesting - thanks for the pointer.

-- Rod
    I understand the limitations of the loopback, but I think you'll end up with lots of problems going w/ a umsdos type approach, there's a reason no one uses it anymore as the value gained was far outweighed by the pain it cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    I understand the limitations of the loopback, but I think you'll end up with lots of problems going w/ a umsdos type approach, there's a reason no one uses it anymore as the value gained was far outweighed by the pain it cost.
    Agreed. At the moment we're investigating the best way to add symlink support and chmod meta-data to cryptofs (taking out the encryption for speed).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    One other stupid question. Is it wise to use /media/cf as a mount point in the final product, or should we be creating a /media/preware or /media/debian folder as the mount point? Although I don't see any compact flash (CF) slots in our phones today, there's no guarantee that there won't be one in the next WebOS device to hit the streets.....
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    One other stupid question. Is it wise to use /media/cf as a mount point in the final product, or should we be creating a /media/preware or /media/debian folder as the mount point? Although I don't see any compact flash (CF) slots in our phones today, there's no guarantee that there won't be one in the next WebOS device to hit the streets.....
    i'm fairly sure that this won't be a problem.. have you seen the size of a CF card?
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post

Also, if you fill up your space and it's all configured the way you like remember that you can expand your img as it is without having to start from scratch.

- phil_bw -
    I've filled up my space, since I started my image at 500 MB. Would I be able to resize with the resize2fs command? Could I enter
    Code:
    resize2fs debsmall.img 1500M
    into a Pre terminal, or would I need to use the terminal from my home computer?
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by chowd View Post
    I've filled up my space, since I started my image at 500 MB. Would I be able to resize with the resize2fs command? Could I enter
    Code:
    resize2fs debsmall.img 1500M
    into a Pre terminal, or would I need to use the terminal from my home computer?
    I really wouldn't do this on your pre--although if it has worked for someone feel free to correct me. When I tried it it made my pre entirely unusable for hours and eventually I just gave up.. my machine could resize it much much faster than that .

I don't see why it would FAIL but combination of limited memory+cpu+disk resources, I'd suggest just copy off, resize, push back.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    gmoj1: you have to edit the startup.sh script in org.webos-internals.xorgserver. You'll see a line commented out that changes to landscape
    Can someone elaborate how to find this file? I'd like to do landscape mode, but I can't find the startup.sh or org.webos-internals.xorgserver directory anywhere. I even did a cd / then find > /media/internal/find.txt, copied that file to my PC and searched it for both the file and the directory. It doesn't exist, at least not that way. Can someone shed some light?
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by messinwu View Post
    Can someone elaborate how to find this file? I'd like to do landscape mode, but I can't find the startup.sh or org.webos-internals.xorgserver directory anywhere. I even did a cd / then find > /media/internal/find.txt, copied that file to my PC and searched it for both the file and the directory. It doesn't exist, at least not that way. Can someone shed some light?
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xorg-server/start.sh

Is the file you're looking for. Portrait/landscape are commented as such, just uncomment landscape comment and comment out portrait mode.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Just for some benchmarking data against the demo video, I just started up OpenOffice Writer in 40 seconds from icewm on my freshly-rebooted Pre+. It took 31 seconds from a cold start to load the Windows version of OpenOffice Writer on my XP notebook. I'm not overclocking the Pre+ or anything, and this load time is quite acceptable as far as I'm concerned. The extra RAM in the Pre+ must be making the difference, because the demo video seemed to take forever to load OpenOffice the first time.....
    So I got the debian environment installed. I got xterm and xserv, and was even able to install icewm and run that.

So 2 things.

1) Is there a batch file that will automate mounting all those folders for the chroot?

2) How do I spice up icewm? It is just gray with no taskbar/window color or background image.
    Thanks dtzWill!

I have a script I've created and chmod'd to be executable called 'debian' residing in /var/home/root, with the following contents:

export DISPLAY=:0.0
    mount -o bind /tmp /media/cf/tmp
    /usr/sbin/chroot /media/cf

This way, as soon as I launch xterm, I can type in 'debian' to chroot into debian, then type 'icewm' to start the window manager. Alternatively, you can just start applications on their own since the xorg server is already running, like 'mozilla' (iceweasel) or 'vlc' or 'gedit' or whatever you've apt-get installed.

Note the above script only works if the phone has not been rebooted. Otherwise, you have to type in all the mount lines talked about on the webos-internals debian chroot page. Maybe I should just put them into that script too, but if stuff is already mounted, it'll probably complain.

I could not include 'icewm' in that script because for whatever reason it won't launch it that way, it needs to be launched after the script it ran.

I have noticed, that after running xterm, debian chroot, and a window manager, that the phone will not go into USB mode until rebooted. It may happen by just having launched xterm, I haven't troubleshooted far enough yet. Probably shouldn't be throwing bugs out just yet, I'd sure like to see further development of other features first.

This is awesome!
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I could not include 'icewm' in that script because for whatever reason it won't launch it that way, it needs to be launched after the script it ran.
    Chroot takes a Linux command to load as an argument, so you can:

/usr/sbin/chroot /media/cf icewm

You may also want to "backround" a task, by putting an "&" at the end of the command line so that the foreground terminal session continues.

I have noticed, that after running xterm, debian chroot, and a window manager, that the phone will not go into USB mode until rebooted. It may happen by just having launched xterm, I haven't troubleshooted far enough yet.
    I observed the same thing with my Pre+ last night, but didn't dig any deeper. I'm not 100% sure that it isn't a problem because the Debian FS is mounted as a loopback of a file stored on /media/internal, though. When I tried to access the USB drive, Windows threw a strange result code error, and the Pre+ exited USB mode and went back into phone mode.....
    Would anyone be willing to post a debian .img already containing some goodies? I realize it might be a few gigs, so bit torrent or some similar medium might be best. I also have a personal ftp I'd give you access to if you would be willing to upload it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowd View Post
    I think I figured it out. I typed this command into the debian chroot:

Then I typed icewm and the window manager came right up!

Now is there a way to create a script that can enter these commands to automatically launch the window manager?

icewm
    I had the same problem, but *after* getting into the chroot and executing export DISPLAY=:0.0

Any idea why? I'm obviously missing something simple. I can ssh into my home machine and get it to forward X, so I'm not sure why I can't get the debian chroot to do it.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    just a little tip: putting this line at the end of startup.sh in org.webos-internals.x11 will launch your wm of choice upon started (all one line):

DISPLAY=:0.0 /usr/sbin/chroot /media/cf fvwm

or you could put icewm there

- phil_bw -
    So I don't know a ton about linux but i created a script with the following lines:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    mount -o loop /media/internal/debsmall.img /media/cf
    mount --bind /dev /media/cf/dev
    mount -t devpts none /media/cf/dev/pts
    mount -t proc none /media/cf/proc
    but the result is always this:

lil help pls?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Did you type this script in vi on the phone, or did you type it in Notepad on a PC and then copy it over? Since your script looks close enough to mine where it should run, I'm thinking that you typed it on a Windows system and the line terminators are incorrect.

In Linux/Unix, each line is terminated with a LF character. In DOS/Windows, each line is terminated with a CR+LF character. That extra CR at the end of each line wreaks havoc on shell scripts. If you open the script in vi, it will either say [DOS Mode] on the bottom line of the screen or else show each line ending with a ^M (the CR character) if this is the problem.....
  20.    #100  
    Regarding USB mode issues:

The issue is 100% your chroot, and nothing to do with X itself. X just acts like any other application .

The device can't "go into usb mode" because in order to do so it needs to unmount /media/internal. It /can't/ do this if you're actively using files on it via your chroot mounts.

So unmount the items on your chroot and things should be fine.

I haven't actually tested this but fairly certain that's what's going on. Post back if that's not the case/doesn't work.

Note that you can verify you have nothing mounted on /media/internal via running 'mount' and inspecting the results (or 'mount |grep internal', etc).
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast