Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    after the latest update, nothing happens when I try to launch xserver from xecutah on the touchpad. I've tried restarting and reinstalling with no luck
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    The latest release is now working on my Pre- running webOS 1.4.5. Thanks for the update!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgaikwad View Post
    after the latest update, nothing happens when I try to launch xserver from xecutah on the touchpad. I've tried restarting and reinstalling with no luck
    looks like reinstalling both xecutah and xserver fixed it
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    I see the same thing, and I don't think I'm *that* unused to the bluetooth keyboard . I wonder if this is the same 'issue' as the kernel dropping adjacent keypresses from the hardware keyboard on phone devices.

(This makes things like using an emulator difficult because quick presses to adjacent keys are often just plain dropped, which is lame)

I don't know that I can look into it ATM, but the patch that exposes a knob for that behavior is here: patches - Various patches for the kernel . If it applies to the TP kernel, maybe it should just be applied (and disabled in userspace via govnah, or just hardcoded to off) since I'm not sure if it makes sense on the tablet anyway.

Hope this helps!
    I hate to ask silly questions, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that info .

I attempted to go ahead and cut/paste that code into a .patch file but it kicks back errors when I try to run it through webos quick install...
    It's a kernel source patch.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    This would be... fantastic. (Ability to change Xserver res, esp for BT keyboard users).
    Just wanted to thank you for this very important (to me) update!

Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Update: XServer v0.8.2

Changelog:

• Bump Xserver's internal rendering from 24bpp to 32bpp. Fixes crashes caused by lxterminal and others.

Should be in preware in a bit...

Enjoy!

PS: If someone could report whether or not this works on the pixi, that would be great, thanks! (My pixi is dead )

PPS: Also, if you see any performance changes with this version, please let me know .
    there's any way to rotate the screen of xserver on a Veer? I need it for sshing to my server and having more space to see things like top, for example..
    hmmm, anybody get the shift key on the TP virtual keyboard to work under X? It looks like it's going to work because the keys on the keyboard go uppercase, but only lower case characters come out. I've hooked up a ubuntu vkbd to do the shift key, but having it work on the native virtual keyboard would be sweet. Any ideas?
    I think I might be having a crashing issue. Palm Pre Plus, WebOS 2.1 on VZW. Installed Xecutah, XServer and XTerm and it works, but sometimes when I have XServer up and XTerm running xterm just vanishes and I'm left with a blank xserver, any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by leghk View Post
    hmmm, anybody get the shift key on the TP virtual keyboard to work under X? It looks like it's going to work because the keys on the keyboard go uppercase, but only lower case characters come out. I've hooked up a ubuntu vkbd to do the shift key, but having it work on the native virtual keyboard would be sweet. Any ideas?
    Just keep shift pressed when you press the other key :P
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Has anybody succeeded in autostarting xterm? I want to start xterm when I start the xserver, but my /media/internal/.xinitrc doesn't work:

#!/bin/sh
    exec /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xterm/bin/xterm -maximize -e login -f root

EDIT: prefix it with DISPLAY=:0 and it works. cheers
    Last edited by loswillios; 09/07/2011 at 07:19 AM.
    Is this to start the Ubuntu Chroot directy after pressing Start X Server?

By prefix, you mean, adding it before "exec" command?

so it would be like this, right?

#!/bin/sh
    DISPLAY=:0
    exec /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xterm/bin/xterm -maximize -e login -f root
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden83 View Post
    Is this to start the Ubuntu Chroot directy after pressing Start X Server?
    No, to start an xterm. For an Ubuntu Chroot see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11244516/touchpad.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden83 View Post
    By prefix, you mean, adding it before "exec" command?
    Yes, in the same line
    Quote Originally Posted by loswillios View Post
    No, to start an xterm. For an Ubuntu Chroot see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11244516/touchpad.htm

Yes, in the same line
    Thanks, I really appreciate it. That was great help. I was having a problem with machine-id error a lot, and by executing the command finally got rid of it. Thanks!

Just a quick question. I got sound working etc in my Ubuntu on Touchpad but the volume control on VLC still doesn't do anything. I did install 'gamix' separately to control sound but is there a way to integrate the main sound volume control of ubuntu to use "DAC" volume control? I would think that if I somehow got Ubuntu to control the sound volume of DAC as main sound control volumizer, then it's effect would trickle down into all programs that have sound control, such as VLC, etc? Do you think it's possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Here's something interesting to try with X server. You could get an Ubuntu rootfs and try to get Unity 2D running on your Pre. A while back I tried to get an Ubuntu rootfs set up, had limited success, and decided to stop when I realized the Unity desktop was not available for ARM, but it looks like Unity 2D is made for low-powered ARM devices.

Unity 2D bfiller blog

EDIT: I was able to get an Ubuntu Maverick rootfs set up with Unity 2D installed, but could barely get Unity running. I could get unity-2d-panel up, and it showed the panel from where you would launch apps, but it only had a trash icon, although I could drag that icon smoothly. Maybe if someone else could try it and share their experience we could make progress. I'll share details on how I got it set up probably this weekend.

Makes me wonder how touchscreen-friendly the rest of it is...
    I'm having this too, the unity-2d loads but there's no apps on it..
    OK I just got Blackbox installed with no issue so far, except that I don't know how to do anything with it. I know on PC you have to right click to bring up the menu, can anybody tell me how to send a right click to BB?
    BTW This is on a Sprint Pre- running 2.1.0
    Well, gave up on blackbox for the time being, and installed matchbox, which seems to work great so far, but one question.. Does anybody know how to get it (xserver apps in general) to switch to landscape? I remember months ago when I installed the Design chroot manually, before all these updated X apps were in Preware, I was able to just type in a command before launching the server, and restarting xterm would switch orientation. This still works with the old version of xterm (that doesn't run through Xecutah.) But that doesn't do me any good now
    We could probably put an orientation override in Tweaks to allow folks to force the xserver to be landscape on a phone.

-- Rod