Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    It is noticed when launching the chroot. I would suggest to change it. Thanks for your work on the Debian chroot.

I would also suggest to add:
    export HOME=/root
    Last edited by jacob019; 08/28/2011 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob019 View Post
    yes, there is an error when the chroot tries to mount proc, it needs to be bound rather then remounted. I'm using gnome now and it's working GREAT!

If you try to run gnome-session right away it segfaults, but if you set some stuff up for it then it works fine. Here is my go script:

#!/bin/sh
    export HOME=/root
    export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so
    /etc/init.d/dbus start
    gnome-settings-daemon &
    metacity &
    nohup gnome-panel &
    gnome-session &

I'm actually setting up the chroot environment and launching this script using a .xinitrc script in /media/internal/, so it boots right up to the gnome desktop when I launch X. No need to mess around with the terminal window.

matchbox-keyboard makes a very nice onscreen keyboard. You'll see in the screenshot that there is a keyboard icon on the gnome toolbar. It is set up to toggle an on-screen keyboard. Install the package, drag the shortcut to the toolbar, then replace the command with this:
    sh -c 'if [ `ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep -c matchbox-keyboard` -eq 0 ]; then matchbox-keyboard; else killall matchbox-keyboard; fi'
    a but crude, but works nicely. I really like this keyboard since it has no window decorations and it has all the keys.
    Jacob, does that only work with Debian Chroot or Ubuntu Chroot as well for instally Gnome? Because I have been having errors when installing Gnome, with atleast 4 packages.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    update to webOS 3.0.2

-- Rod
    Hrmph, I thought I was already at 3.0.2. I went through the update process (which took forever), and reported that it completed successfully. However, it appears something didn't happen... 3.0.0 being reported! Ugh. ok, I'll have to try again.
    Did anyone have any recommendations for the libsdl issues/errors? I saw the question raised, but missed the answer. This has been the primary hangup for me this weekend on my new touchpad - nothing needing sdl will install.

Can't I dummy it somehow?

Thanks for all your hard work! This is fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden83 View Post
    Jacob, does that only work with Debian Chroot or Ubuntu Chroot as well for instally Gnome? Because I have been having errors when installing Gnome, with atleast 4 packages.
    I am installing gnome-core on Debian and it works fine. I had some trouble with Ubuntu, can't remember why. Debian seems like a better choice here anyhow. To round out the install add debian-games and debian-office. I also recommend adding gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs, as it will allow you to stream videos and music from samba shares without having to mount them.

Despite the lack of X acceleration, I am able to play low-res videos just fine, streaming from a samba server. The visualizer works nicely when playing music as well. Video seems much faster than VESA.

Did anyone have any recommendations for the libsdl issues/errors?
    Can you give an example package? Have you tried it with Debian?
  6.    #406  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbobbo View Post
    Did anyone have any recommendations for the libsdl issues/errors? I saw the question raised, but missed the answer. This has been the primary hangup for me this weekend on my new touchpad - nothing needing sdl will install.

Can't I dummy it somehow?

Thanks for all your hard work! This is fun...
    What errors are you seeing (pastebin them or something?)

I've installed hex-a-hop on both debian and ubuntu (fun little test case hehe), which uses SDL. Seems to work fine for me.

Let me know and hopefully we'll get this resolved!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    I've noticed when using the bluetooth keyboard in lxde graphical environment (ubuntu) that it occasionally decides not to type a letter. So I'll be typing along and it'll leave a letter out. If I'm typing slow enough I can tap the letter a second time and it pops up no problem.

Not sure why this is - any thoughts? Is this a problem specific to lxde ubuntu or are people seeing this in any graphical linux environment using xserver etc?
  8.    #408  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I've noticed when using the bluetooth keyboard in lxde graphical environment (ubuntu) that it occasionally decides not to type a letter. So I'll be typing along and it'll leave a letter out. If I'm typing slow enough I can tap the letter a second time and it pops up no problem.

Not sure why this is - any thoughts? Is this a problem specific to lxde ubuntu or are people seeing this in any graphical linux environment using xserver etc?
    I see the same thing, and I don't think I'm *that* unused to the bluetooth keyboard . I wonder if this is the same 'issue' as the kernel dropping adjacent keypresses from the hardware keyboard on phone devices.

(This makes things like using an emulator difficult because quick presses to adjacent keys are often just plain dropped, which is lame)

I don't know that I can look into it ATM, but the patch that exposes a knob for that behavior is here: patches - Various patches for the kernel . If it applies to the TP kernel, maybe it should just be applied (and disabled in userspace via govnah, or just hardcoded to off) since I'm not sure if it makes sense on the tablet anyway.

Hope this helps!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

9.    #409  
    Update: XServer v0.8.2

Changelog:

• Bump Xserver's internal rendering from 24bpp to 32bpp. Fixes crashes caused by lxterminal and others.

Should be in preware in a bit...

Enjoy!

PS: If someone could report whether or not this works on the pixi, that would be great, thanks! (My pixi is dead )

PPS: Also, if you see any performance changes with this version, please let me know .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

updated on pixi, launched, started lxde, launched terminal....AND IT DIDN'T CRASH!!!! Thanks dtzWill

edit: Also, on an unrelated note. I've changed my local copy to use --bind instead of mount -t for the proc, and i see no adverse affects. However, pre jacob019, i tried to run "/etc/init.d/dbus start" but it says it is alerady started, so i'm not sure what exactly that is doing for you.
  11.    #411  
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    updated on pixi, launched, started lxde, launched terminal....AND IT DIDN'T CRASH!!!! Thanks dtzWill
    Yay!

I was actually worried it wouldn't even start on the pixi (since it has different GPU/texture format requirements that I couldn't quickly find documentation on :P) so very glad that works, and thanks for testing and the very quick report .

Also, very glad that this fixes lxterminal for others as well!

Enjoy!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

0.8.2 is working very nicely. Seems a little snappier even. Did notice one odd thing though. Per your suggestion, I installed hex-a-hop and played a few levels on 0.8.1. It was working very well. I just tried it on 0.8.2 and it is no longer being drawn properly, the character and tiles now have boxes around them that were previously transparent. Everything else is working great though, I even played a video.
  13.    #413  
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob019 View Post
    0.8.2 is working very nicely. Seems a little snappier even. Did notice one odd thing though. Per your suggestion, I installed hex-a-hop and played a few levels on 0.8.1. It was working very well. I just tried it on 0.8.2 and it is no longer being drawn properly, the character and tiles now have boxes around them that were previously transparent. Everything else is working great though, I even played a video.
    Ah! Good catch. That's what I get for making a small change *after* my more exhaustive testing, hehe.

Should be fixed in 0.8.3 (pending release to feeds). Thanks for the wonderful testing feedback guys!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

14.    #414  
    Update: XServer 0.8.3

Changelog:
    • Fix rendering regression introduced in 0.8.2.

As always, feedback welcome . Enjoy!

(Already available in feeds)
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

With the latest update all I see is black after typing or touching the screen. When I minimize the card I see everything, once I go back to it, it goes black again after typing or touching the screen

Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Same behavior as described by copystring.

Sprint Pre- webOS 1.4.5
    Okay, after some lunch-time efforts, it seems my problem is with a bad ubuntu package. I didn't get the name written down, but I'm getting an error along the lines of 'improperly formatted ubuntu package, aborting'. So it wasn't the sdl itself at all, just some common dependency of the games I was trying to add. I'll go pull the debian deb tonight and see if that works around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    update to webOS 3.0.2

-- Rod
    ok, thanks for the info, that was it! I was not on 3.0.2, and had to run through the update process again. But after that completed, everything started working.

thanks much
  19.    #419  
    Quote Originally Posted by copystring View Post
    With the latest update all I see is black after typing or touching the screen. When I minimize the card I see everything, once I go back to it, it goes black again after typing or touching the screen

Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    Same behavior as described by copystring.

Sprint Pre- webOS 1.4.5
    Sorry about that, haven't been able to test on a pre because mine was acting strangely. Anyway got it working enough to debug the issue, and should be fixed soon! Thanks for the quick report and accurate description of the issue!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

20.    #420  
    Update: XServer v0.8.4

Now available in the feeds!

Changelog:
    • Fix black screen issue on Pre

Enjoy!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat