Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #381  
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfrehest View Post
    I've been trying to run game console emulator and all so far report error due to randr it would be amazing to play n64 games or psx games on my pre 2!

edit: I don't endorse any kind of piracy I have backed up 10 ps games as .iso's to ensure long after my playstation dies my games will survive!
    Since the X server offers no graphical acceleration, I don't think you'll ever be able to run anything like an n64 or psx emulator from within X. At least not without a dramatically different x server setup. Sorry!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Thanks!! And very glad you like it. Since you mentioned it, what exactly do you hope to get from xrandr support? It's definitely next on my x-server TODO, but want to see what your (and others') hopes/expectations are so that they're best met.

What I had envisioned includes dynamic rotation support (which could be keyed by the accelerometer, but not necessarily) as well as dynamically resizing the X server (to allow, say, showing/hiding the keyboard, this either being keyed by hitting the 'dismiss' on the keyboard, or via a tool/utility--the tool being used to /change/ size w.r.t keyboard size, like we do 'statically' with tweaks atm).

Does that sound good? Let me know if you/others have any thoughts on it .
    This would be great! For me, rotation is the biggest thing I'd want. Keyboard is less urgent, since there are functional x-based OSKs that are working at this point (though it would still be nice!)

Unrelatedly, is multitouch support available at this point?
  3.    #383  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettQ View Post
    I think it is just the lxde install process that kills the keyboard. I had it happen on both the Ubuntu and Debian chroots when instaling lxde from apt. A reboot was needed each time.

Is there a way to force the VKB back if it crashes other than a reboot?
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob019 View Post
    I can confirm that the on-screen keyboard breaks often. Seems to happen when the device sleeps. You can fix it without a full reboot by restarting luna using the preware app.

Again, anyone know how to get the LXDE desktop background?
    Can one of you elaborate what you mean by the keyboard 'break'ing? Does it disappear? Is it still presented, but doesn't work? Does bluetooth keyboard stop working...?

I'll try to reproduce this more carefully later, but for now any information you can give on that front would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

keyboard issue is sporadic, it's weird. I'm surprised you haven't encountered it since myself and a friend have both encountered it on our new touchpads. It disappear entirely. There is even an animation of it sliding down, but once it disappear it won't come back without restarting luna. The BT keyboard still works.
    I have experienced the same thing. It seems to happen when the device goes into sleep/screen off mode due to inactivity, while the X card is focused. When you wake the device, the keyboard is no longer visible and cannot be called up. If you switch to another card and let it go into sleep mode, the problem does not occur.
  6.    #386  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmont View Post
    I have experienced the same thing. It seems to happen when the device goes into sleep/screen off mode due to inactivity, while the X card is focused. When you wake the device, the keyboard is no longer visible and cannot be called up. If you switch to another card and let it go into sleep mode, the problem does not occur.
    Wonderful, thank you (and the others who reported this) for the information. I'll see what I can do to fix it--it might just be as easy as forcing the keyboard back up whenever the app gets focus .

I thought this was happening for the BT keyboard too, am I correct that this is vkb-only (as far as you guys have seen, anyway)?

Thanks!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

yes vkb only

to anyone else who wants to configure the lxde background image, use this command:
    pcmanfm --desktop-pref

another nice feature would be long press for right click
    Last edited by jacob019; 08/27/2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Hrm, I get no vkb when I start xserver/term/ubuntu chroot. Just a nice pretty full screen terminal with no way to type in it. I've reinstalled hoping it was just something quirky, but no luck.
    yes vkb only

to anyone else who wants to configure the lxde background image, use this command:
    pcmanfm --desktop-pref

another nice feature would be long press for right click
    Check out this post for right click support.
    Quote Originally Posted by jato11 View Post
    Hrm, I get no vkb when I start xserver/term/ubuntu chroot. Just a nice pretty full screen terminal with no way to type in it. I've reinstalled hoping it was just something quirky, but no luck.
    update to webOS 3.0.2

-- Rod
    Hi

I am having hard time finding the Xserver and Xterm packages. The post said that they are ready in the Preware catalog but any kind of search brings no results.

thanks
  12.    #392  
    Just pushed XServer 0.8.1

• Basic RANDR support. We now support the RANDR extension and use it to report information about our screen-- this should fix issues with apps complaining that the XRANDR extension is missing. Note that we do *not* presently support using RANDR to set anything, so this means no rotation/reflection/resizing at the moment.
    • Signal-based X startup detection that should fix any/all issues with keymappings not being set on startup. If you're still having issues please let me know. As an aside (and somewhat unsupported, but FYI) you can now write a .xinitrc and put it in /media/internal to have things run when the X server starts up.
    • On focus, reinstate VKB. Assuming of course the VKB isn't 'off' (via tweaks), any time the X server gets a focus event, we re-inform webOS that we want the keyboard up. Hopefully this alleviates the issues with keyboard disappearing. Please report if this fixes the issue or not.

Phew, that's it. Please let me know if you have any issues/questions/concerns/feedback, and I'll do what I can .

Enjoy!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Thanks for the update! The startup script will be really nice, as will RANDR; but unfortunately the keyboard issue is still present. It's not such a big deal for me though, since I have a bluetooth keyboard and I can use a linux on-screen keyboard--which seems to work better since it has arrow keys and such.
  14.    #394  
    Thanks for the update! The startup script will be really nice, as will RANDR; but unfortunately the keyboard issue is still present. It's not such a big deal for me though, since I have a bluetooth keyboard and I can use a linux on-screen keyboard--which seems to work better since it has arrow keys and such.
    Which keyboard issue? Mappings not being set on startup, or keyboard disappearing if device sleeps while the app has focus?
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Keyboard disappearing. It happens on resume, but it's also happened without sleeping. Once it disappears it won't come back even if I restart the xserver.
    Keyboard disappearing. It happens on resume, but it's also happened without sleeping. Once it disappears it won't come back even if I restart the xserver.
    Apologies for the "is it plugged in?" level of question, but have you made sure your Bluetooth keyboard is turned off when using the VKB? I've accidentally bumped my own Bluetooth keyboard a couple of times, and when it reconnects to the TouchPad, the VKB automatically hides until it's forced back up using the "keyboard" key on the BT keyboard. I'm thinking the sleep/wake cycle might be automatically reconnecting your BT keyboard when you aren't intentionally using it?

--John
    Yes, I think that must be it. I will turn off my BT keyboard.

In other news, I got gnome up and running in Debian, how cool!

Some notes:
    proc must be mounted, it doesn't seem to be by default. Open up xterm and type:
    mount --bind /proc /media/ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot/proc
    This must be done outside of the chroot.
    Also, run "/etc/init.d/dbus start" within the chroot prior to launching gnome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    How well does Gnome run? Also when you first launch the chroot environmrent it does the mounts. Do you get an error about it mounting proc? I got that earlier with Ubuntu chroot.

Pezman is the maintainer for the Debian chroot, so you may want to just drop him a line if the proc mount isn't in the startup script.
    yes, there is an error when the chroot tries to mount proc, it needs to be bound rather then remounted. I'm using gnome now and it's working GREAT!

If you try to run gnome-session right away it segfaults, but if you set some stuff up for it then it works fine. Here is my go script:

#!/bin/sh
    export HOME=/root
    export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so
    /etc/init.d/dbus start
    gnome-settings-daemon &
    metacity &
    nohup gnome-panel &
    gnome-session &

I'm actually setting up the chroot environment and launching this script using a .xinitrc script in /media/internal/, so it boots right up to the gnome desktop when I launch X. No need to mess around with the terminal window.

matchbox-keyboard makes a very nice onscreen keyboard. You'll see in the screenshot that there is a keyboard icon on the gnome toolbar. It is set up to toggle an on-screen keyboard. Install the package, drag the shortcut to the toolbar, then replace the command with this:
    sh -c 'if [ `ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep -c matchbox-keyboard` -eq 0 ]; then matchbox-keyboard; else killall matchbox-keyboard; fi'
    a but crude, but works nicely. I really like this keyboard since it has no window decorations and it has all the keys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jacob019; 08/28/2011 at 06:05 PM.
    I haven't seen the proc mount throwing errors. Is it only noticed when trying to launch gnome? If it needs to be changed let me know. I'll probably be on IRC in a few hours.

thanks,
    pez