Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Unfortunately, xrandr isn't supported by the XServer at this point (that's what your error message is telling you, more or less), and while it's high on my TODO I have no ETA. What applications are you running that require RANDR?
    pretty much anything. i start a icewm session and try to launch iceweasel and it complains. Note, if you read above, i'm running this on a pixi, using debian instead of ubuntu (but launching from the ubuntu chroot launcher in xecutah) i dunno if that has something to the error.
    If you're having keyboard mapping issues with the new release, wait 5 seconds between starting the XServer and starting the XTerm or Ubuntu.

-- Rod
    rod,

I got lxde up on my pixi, installed an rdp client, and was able to get into a win7 box...not really useable, but whatever! I also launched the java application I use to monitor my work environment fine.

then I left wifi range, went over to 3g, and BAM no connection available. Is the chroot unable to get at the 3g data, or do I have something setup wrong?
    Speaking of onscreen keyboards, I have onboard running well, instructions over at this thread:
    forums.precentral.net/webos-development/292457-tutorial-how-get-ubuntu-touchpad-4.html (sorry, I can't post links yet). It's a bit ugly, but that could be fixed with a new SVG background.
  5.    #365  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you're having keyboard mapping issues with the new release, wait 5 seconds between starting the XServer and starting the XTerm or Ubuntu.

-- Rod
    Keymapping issues *should* be fixed in latest x server (v0.7.5)--please report if they are not.

Waiting shouldn't be necessary--but if it reliably helps, please let me/us know!

Enjoy!

PS--there's talk that installing certain things into a chroot can break keyboard support in some manner (I think lxde is the most cited example). If anyone can reproduce this or has information on this, please let me know. I've been unable to reproduce, and offhand can't see any reason for that behavior . Thanks!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    rod,

I sent you debian squeeze chroot makefile and other changed files.

thanks,
    pez
  7.    #367  
    Just pushed XServer 0.7.6!

Now supports control/alt/arrow keys from bluetooth keyboards (on HP bt keyboard 'symbol' is alt).

Should hit feed in a bit, let me know if you have any questions/issues. (UPDATE: now in preware!)

Enjoy!
    Last edited by dtzWill; 08/26/2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

8.    #368  
    Also, this was only tested on the official HP bluetooth keyboard. If you have/use a different one, can you report if it works or not? Thanks!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

I freakin' love you man. Definitely gonna test this out today.
    In the Ubuntu chroot, I install lxde and launch with lxsession. Works fine, but I get a black background without any icons. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to change the background image. I really want that nice blue lxde background that I see in all the screenshots. Any advice?
    Arrow keys, alt, and control are working fine on my generic HID bluetooth keyboard (Freedom Universal Keyboard) as well as my HP Touchpad keyboard.

However, it appears that I can't select text by holding shift and using the arrow keys on either.
  12.    #372  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Arrow keys, alt, and control are working fine on my generic HID bluetooth keyboard (Freedom Universal Keyboard) as well as my HP Touchpad keyboard.

However, it appears that I can't select text by holding shift and using the arrow keys on either.
    Yep. This is because the virtual keyboard doesn't actually send events for 'shift' (I believe/expect the Bluetooth keyboard does, haven't checked). Since atm the X server doesn't know which device is connected, in an effort to map everything together neatly, I don't actually model a keyboard with a shift key--instead we pretend we have a giant keyboard with all keys ('a' and 'A' are different keys), and drop the idea of 'shift'. This has drawbacks in that any behavior dependent on shift as an actual key don't work, but allows a single unified keyboard to work in both situations. Moving forward it would probably make sense to figure out if a Bluetooth keyboard is attached (surely we can query the system neatly, might even be trivially), or worst case let the user tell us (like we're doing now with Tweaks). Tweaks works and gets the functionality configurable, but at least for this and what we're using it for (virtual keyboard size allocation) it's a tad clunky and not the end goal.

Hope this helps, or at least helps you understand the situation .

Thanks for the feedback/report, enjoy!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

13.    #373  
    Long-winded explanations aside, thank you very much for the report and very glad that control/alt/arrow keys work. Hooray!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Just donated $20. Thanks for all your hard work! We all appreciate it very much, it breathes so much more life into the device. #1 request - xrandr support. Hope everyone else will donate also.
  15.    #375  
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob019 View Post
    Just donated $20. Thanks for all your hard work! We all appreciate it very much, it breathes so much more life into the device. #1 request - xrandr support. Hope everyone else will donate also.
    Thanks!! And very glad you like it. Since you mentioned it, what exactly do you hope to get from xrandr support? It's definitely next on my x-server TODO, but want to see what your (and others') hopes/expectations are so that they're best met.

What I had envisioned includes dynamic rotation support (which could be keyed by the accelerometer, but not necessarily) as well as dynamically resizing the X server (to allow, say, showing/hiding the keyboard, this either being keyed by hitting the 'dismiss' on the keyboard, or via a tool/utility--the tool being used to /change/ size w.r.t keyboard size, like we do 'statically' with tweaks atm).

Does that sound good? Let me know if you/others have any thoughts on it .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

The desktop environments seem to rely on the xrandr extensions. It would be really cool to run gnome. But even xfce seems to rely on it for proper placement of the panel.

Dynamic rotation support would be really awesome. Showing and hiding the keyboard would be #2 on my list.

Thanks again!
    I've been trying to run game console emulator and all so far report error due to randr it would be amazing to play n64 games or psx games on my pre 2!

edit: I don't endorse any kind of piracy I have backed up 10 ps games as .iso's to ensure long after my playstation dies my games will survive!
    Last edited by mannyfrehest; 08/27/2011 at 09:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    PS--there's talk that installing certain things into a chroot can break keyboard support in some manner (I think lxde is the most cited example). If anyone can reproduce this or has information on this, please let me know. I've been unable to reproduce, and offhand can't see any reason for that behavior . Thanks!
    I think it is just the lxde install process that kills the keyboard. I had it happen on both the Ubuntu and Debian chroots when instaling lxde from apt. A reboot was needed each time.

Is there a way to force the VKB back if it crashes other than a reboot?
    I can confirm that the on-screen keyboard breaks often. Seems to happen when the device sleeps. You can fix it without a full reboot by restarting luna using the preware app.

Again, anyone know how to get the LXDE desktop background?
  20. r9s
    Where can I download it?