Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    Rod,

any idea on that core dump I attached? I'm sure you've been busy and all, but do you think its only compiled for armv7 procs? Maybe there is another distro that'll work with v6?
    dl stuff is pretty fundamental. I doubt that's ever going to work.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2.    #342  
    Yep, Rod's right. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM . Ubuntu doesn't support ARMv6 anymore, and seems it only over did in a "limited" manner. Offhand I don't know any distributions that ship supporting armv6, but I wouldn't be the one to know either . Let us know if you find anything!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    torrents seem to be working for me using qbittorrent drag and drop and it starts downloading, can't seem to get deluge torrent client to work though Downloads from chromium browser stored to temp folder in lxde
    Last edited by mannyfrehest; 08/22/2011 at 01:10 AM.
    Thank you for the X-Server. This is the essential key to making my TouchPad into a full-featured Linux device. I've PMed dtzWill; I'm going to experiment with alternate keyboards inside Ubuntu, such as the Maliit (MeeGo) keyboard.

Who am I? I'm a guy from the Maemo / MeeGo community and I just grabbed a couple of the cheap TouchPads, and they're really nice. I find it funny that HP wouldn't give me a developer discount a couple of months ago, and now they're selling off their hardware for cheaper than we could have bought them as developer devices. Crazy.
    Debian armel is built for ARM v5t and up. It should work with v6 processors.

It also has huge repositories, bigger than Ubuntu's even.

I know Ubuntu is more popular on the desktop, but for sheer quantity of Linux apps available for ARM processors, Debian is probably a better bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post

I know Ubuntu is more popular on the desktop, but for sheer quantity of Linux apps available for ARM processors, Debian is probably a better bet.
    We'd be happy to put a debian-something-chroot package in Preware.

Welcome aboard.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    batcountry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We'd be happy to put a debian-something-chroot package in Preware.

Welcome aboard.

-- Rod
    I'd be happy to help in any way I could.

Rod, I was searching around on webos-internals.org and couldn't really find the info on how you packaged the ubuntu chroot into a .ipk. Any insight on that would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Pez
    I'd be happy to help in any way I could.

Rod, I was searching around on webos-internals.org and couldn't really find the info on how you packaged the ubuntu chroot into a .ipk. Any insight on that would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Pez
    I think it's just a standard app with a postinstall script that uncompresses a .tgz file that's inside the app directory. It gets uncompressed in /media/ext3fs/ubntu-natty-chroot

You need to have a filesystem mounted already in /media/ext3fs, otherwise the install won't argue about it, but you WILL get errors when trying to run the ubuntu chroot.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I've been testing the functionality of lots of apps should I post list of working/non-working or would this be pointless...
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I think it's just a standard app with a postinstall script that uncompresses a .tgz file that's inside the app directory. It gets uncompressed in /media/ext3fs/ubntu-natty-chroot

You need to have a filesystem mounted already in /media/ext3fs, otherwise the install won't argue about it, but you WILL get errors when trying to run the ubuntu chroot.
    Yep. I've already got my pixi with ext3fs mounted and the (non-working) ubuntu chroot installed. I'm wondering...If I can get the Debian.img from here Debian chroot - WebOS Internals, might I be able to take the filesystem from there and just copy it into the ubuntu natty chroot directory, then launch through xecutah?

EDIT: HOLY HELL IT WORKED! I'm installing LXDE right now.

Edit again: hmm..can't seem to install anything, keep getting could not resolve http.us.debian.org

Edit again...again: changed from http.us.debian.org to ftp.us.debian.org and it looks like it's working... it's actually downloaded and started installing icewm.
    Last edited by pezman726; 08/23/2011 at 02:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thank you for the X-Server. This is the essential key to making my TouchPad into a full-featured Linux device. I've PMed dtzWill; I'm going to experiment with alternate keyboards inside Ubuntu, such as the Maliit (MeeGo) keyboard.

Who am I? I'm a guy from the Maemo / MeeGo community and I just grabbed a couple of the cheap TouchPads, and they're really nice. I find it funny that HP wouldn't give me a developer discount a couple of months ago, and now they're selling off their hardware for cheaper than we could have bought them as developer devices. Crazy.
    qole! I have been tweeting about how similar the webOS Homebrew community and the Maemo/MeeGo communities were. It would be great to see a Debian chroot solution for the Touchpad similar to what you had out for the Nokia N900 (and hopefully N950 soon). I loved being able to run Maemo, Debian, and Android apps all on the same device.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Yep. I've already got my pixi with ext3fs mounted and the (non-working) ubuntu chroot installed. I'm wondering...If I can get the Debian.img from here Debian chroot - WebOS Internals, might I be able to take the filesystem from there and just copy it into the ubuntu natty chroot directory, then launch through xecutah?
    Did you just extract the image file contents to the ext3fs partition?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettQ View Post
    Did you just extract the image file contents to the ext3fs partition?
    I probably went about it the long way...
    I already had ubuntu chroot installed, so I deleted all the contents of the ubuntu-natty-chroot folder, mounted the debsmall.img file to a different folder, then copied all the files over.

I got lxde installed...but I guess it isn't "lightweight" enough, because if I watch the command line info it keeps complaining about memory. I just bumped my compcache way up from the 12mb I had it at, so I'll see if that helps.
    The update that makes the TP keyboard no longer hide any of the screen is nice, thanks. But I still would really like a full-screen version with no keyboard at all...
    The update that makes the TP keyboard no longer hide any of the screen is nice, thanks. But I still would really like a full-screen version with no keyboard at all...
    When the API becomes available to do that, we will be able to do that.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When the API becomes available to do that, we will be able to do that.

-- Rod
    Maybe even a separate package, called "Touchpad No-keyboard X-Server" or something?

Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    As a temporary solution, if you're technically inclined and want a replacement Xsdl binary that has no virtual keyboard at all (say if you're a dedicated bluetooth keyboard user), PM me and I'll send one your way.
    This is the one I want
    hmm. Can't get any linux applications to launch. Keeps complaining.
    xlib:extension "RANDR" missing on display

any ideas?

I already have libxrandr2 installed.
  18.    #358  
    UPDATES!
    Xecutah: 0.8.3
    XServer: 0.7.4
    XTerm: 0.7.7

These introduce the following new options, configurable using Tweaks (from preware):

• Configurable foreground and background colors in xterm (thanks to rrix!). Default is green-on-black.
    • Configurable virtual keyboard size for XServer. Note that this only changes how much space the xserver reserves for the keyboard (doesn't actually change keyboard size for you). Additionally to 'off', XServer won't even enable the VKB, along with not reserving any space for it.

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any issues or questions .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

19.    #359  
    Unfortunately, xrandr isn't supported by the XServer at this point (that's what your error message is telling you, more or less), and while it's high on my TODO I have no ETA. What applications are you running that require RANDR?
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

20.    #360  
    Excellent! You're very welcome, and glad you're looking into good x client virtual keyboard alternatives. This was something we considered early on (and is still a very compelling answer for things like arrow keys/control/etc, if not as a full solution), but didn't mostly because we didn't find one we liked. Maybe the meego keyboard is better, here's hoping!

Offhand, what kinds of dependencies does that guy have? Ideally we would ship the vkb stuff with the xserver so it's usable by itself--without requiring the ubuntu (or any other) chroot to make use of it. This is key for things like 'xterm', which is useful as a dedicated ssh client, for example. However even if you're not interested in that, I'm interested in how well this keyboard/others work out for you, so please keep us posted with your findings .
    Heh, that is funny. But, here we are! Good to have you, and as Rod said "Welcome aboard!".

BTW, if you want to chat re:dev, hop onto #webos-internals on freenode .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat