Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 519
Like Tree19Likes
  1. #301  
    I figured this is the most relevant thread for this query, although I am using a Pixi+ rather than a Pre.

    I was pretty interested when I heard about Xecutah/Xserver/Xterm, so I went ahead and got those loaded on my Pixi+ with no issue.. Then I tried setting up the Ubuntu Chroot from preware.. Not wanting to redoctor, I opted to try @pcworld's method, although I created the ubuntu.img in /media/cryptofs as per suggestions from follow up posts, then mounted at /media/ext3fs.

    The Ubuntu Chroot seemed to install without a hitch, so I fired up Xecutah, then Xserver, then started the Ubuntu Chroot via Xecutah.. each time I would see the terminal load, but quickly the screen would fill with info, but quickly disappear.. I did catch a glimpse of "segmentation fault" before it disappeared, so I tried the chroot from within Xterm, however, the result was "Segmentation fault".

    Not sure where I should be looking for errors, I perused through a few files in chroot/logs but didn't find anything that stood out to me. At this point, I removed ubuntu chroot via preware, then deleted the .img (rebooted), and attempted the debian chroot via the webos internals feed. This seemed to go a lot smoother, and I was able to chroot using Xterm into the mounted debian chroot, use apt-get and such.

    Thinking I may have messed up the first time, I made a new ubuntu.img, half the size so I didn't have to wait as long to create it, mounted it, reinstalled ubuntu chroot via preware, and got the same "Segmentation fault" no matter how I attempt to chroot.

    I'm starting to wonder if there's an architectural difference, but I'm unable to nail down the cause of the issue.. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate some help.. I would be very interested in helping iron out any incompatibilities if I can.
  2. #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by d0gZpAw View Post
    I figured this is the most relevant thread for this query, although I am using a Pixi+ rather than a Pre.

    I was pretty interested when I heard about Xecutah/Xserver/Xterm, so I went ahead and got those loaded on my Pixi+ with no issue.. Then I tried setting up the Ubuntu Chroot from preware.. Not wanting to redoctor, I opted to try @pcworld's method, although I created the ubuntu.img in /media/cryptofs as per suggestions from follow up posts, then mounted at /media/ext3fs.

    The Ubuntu Chroot seemed to install without a hitch, so I fired up Xecutah, then Xserver, then started the Ubuntu Chroot via Xecutah.. each time I would see the terminal load, but quickly the screen would fill with info, but quickly disappear.. I did catch a glimpse of "segmentation fault" before it disappeared, so I tried the chroot from within Xterm, however, the result was "Segmentation fault".

    Not sure where I should be looking for errors, I perused through a few files in chroot/logs but didn't find anything that stood out to me. At this point, I removed ubuntu chroot via preware, then deleted the .img (rebooted), and attempted the debian chroot via the webos internals feed. This seemed to go a lot smoother, and I was able to chroot using Xterm into the mounted debian chroot, use apt-get and such.

    Thinking I may have messed up the first time, I made a new ubuntu.img, half the size so I didn't have to wait as long to create it, mounted it, reinstalled ubuntu chroot via preware, and got the same "Segmentation fault" no matter how I attempt to chroot.

    I'm starting to wonder if there's an architectural difference, but I'm unable to nail down the cause of the issue.. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate some help.. I would be very interested in helping iron out any incompatibilities if I can.
    I'd double check that the 'ubuntu-natty-chroot' directory is actually there after mounting the image. Look in /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot and make sure it is populated.
  3. #303  
    Hmm, the first attempt, ubuntu-natty-chroot appeared to populate properly.. subsequent attempts don't seem to populate it though.. installing from Preware, Ubuntu Chroot gets through most of the /usr directory, but then the IPKG_INSTALL process hangs the entire phone. Totally at a loss now.
  4. #304  
    I'm trying to run an SDL game inside the Ubuntu chroot, but it fails with:
    Code:
    init mouse failed.
    [4e2d640d][gfx]: unable to init SDL: Unable to open mouse
    Seems there is a problem with SDL. Any ideas?
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
  5. Mordac's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    ...any particular reason you know of that it's 3-4 times faster to copy via USB using Ubuntu running in Virtualbox than on the host Win7 64bit?
    Windows explorer is surprisingly inefficient for moving files around. Commandline xcopy or robocopy would be significantly faster.

    -M
  6. #306  
    Quote Originally Posted by d0gZpAw View Post
    Hmm, the first attempt, ubuntu-natty-chroot appeared to populate properly.. subsequent attempts don't seem to populate it though.. installing from Preware, Ubuntu Chroot gets through most of the /usr directory, but then the IPKG_INSTALL process hangs the entire phone. Totally at a loss now.
    How big is your image file?
  7. #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    How big is your image file?
    first time i made a 1024MB image file.. subsequent tries using a 512MB image file.
  8. #308  
    media/ext3fs partition is wiped when one runs the HP TouchPad Doctor, is that right?
  9. #309  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    media/ext3fs partition is wiped when one runs the HP TouchPad Doctor, is that right?
    You should always assume that it is, but in my experience so far it is not.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should always assume that it is, but in my experience so far it is not.
    -- Rod
    Thanks for the reply.
    Would running the MetaDoctor wipe it? (without commenting out the partition)
  11. #311  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Would running the MetaDoctor wipe it? (without commenting out the partition)
    Same answer.

    -- Rod
  12. #312  
    Did full secure erase (found as option in device info menu).

    Then logged into new profile, installed Internalz Pro via WOSQI and confirmed that Internalz Pro did not show a directory under media for exts3f.
  13. #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Did full secure erase (found as option in device info menu).

    Then logged into new profile, installed Internalz Pro via WOSQI and confirmed that Internalz Pro did not show a directory under media for exts3f.
    Did you re-mount it?

    -- Rod
  14. #314  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Did you re-mount it?

    -- Rod
    Nope.
    Re-mounted, directory was there and so were the files.
    Interesting.
  15. #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by d0gZpAw View Post
    first time i made a 1024MB image file.. subsequent tries using a 512MB image file.
    I'd try using a larger image file 2000M+. You can actually resize it smaller after you've installed it. The first time I did it, I used a 4GB the /media/internal. Not sure how much room you have on the Pixi to play with, but my install w/openoffice and LXDE uses about 1.3GB - after using bleachbit to clean up the installs and tmp dirs.
  16. #316  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Nope.
    Re-mounted, directory was there and so were the files.
    Interesting.
    So . . . You had a partition created already (from Doctoring)? And when you did the secure erase, it didn't wipe that extra partition? And. . . you commented out the partition from fstab, before the wipe?

    I'm confused but really want to understand.
  17. Dragone's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #317  
    Quote Originally Posted by d0gZpAw View Post
    Hmm, the first attempt, ubuntu-natty-chroot appeared to populate properly.. subsequent attempts don't seem to populate it though.. installing from Preware, Ubuntu Chroot gets through most of the /usr directory, but then the IPKG_INSTALL process hangs the entire phone. Totally at a loss now.
    THat's the same problem of mine.
    It's not a matter of size of the partition.
    I used a 4096 kbyte image and still had the same issue.

    During the ipkg installing and decompressing I suddenly find the entire phone frozen ...
  18. #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragone View Post
    THat's the same problem of mine.
    It's not a matter of size of the partition.
    I used a 4096 kbyte image and still had the same issue.

    During the ipkg installing and decompressing I suddenly find the entire phone frozen ...
    yeah, i found my phone was locking up after some time, just having the generated "ubuntu.img" existing on the ssd at all.. deleted it and only noticed about half the space I expected to free up (after reboot, but might have counted wrong).. phone doesn't seem to be locking up now, so I wonder if the image didn't create properly in the first place. Might try again with an img generated on a proper machine to see if that solves anything.
  19. #319  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    So . . . You had a partition created already (from Doctoring)? And when you did the secure erase, it didn't wipe that extra partition? And. . . you commented out the partition from fstab, before the wipe?

    I'm confused but really want to understand.
    Hi Kay, sorry I've been slow to respond, work has been...crazed.

    I had a partition created already, yes.

    I doctored using the standard HP doctor and all my files were still there afterwards, including the movies, music, pdfs etc in media/internals.

    I then did secure erase which deleted the movies, music, pdfs etc in media/internals but did not delete any of the files in libreoffice.

    I manually deleted those libreoffice files by using InternalzPro.
  20. #320  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hi Kay, sorry I've been slow to respond, work has been...crazed.

    I had a partition created already, yes.

    I doctored using the standard HP doctor and all my files were still there afterwards, including the movies, music, pdfs etc in media/internals.

    I then did secure erase which deleted the movies, music, pdfs etc in media/internals but did not delete any of the files in libreoffice.

    I manually deleted those libreoffice files by using InternalzPro.
    Correct. A secure erase knows nothing about an additional ext3fs partition you have added. That is a good thing.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Posting Permissions