Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Forgive me if I'm not sure I understand the questions but here's my best shot:

1. I'm not familiar with icewm but to run it from a command line can't you just type 'icewm' at the command prompt? Or possibly 'starticewm' ?(!) I think that any 'start' (upstart) command will bring up issues with Xserver. The reason I was able to start lxde and xfce4 was because they seem to bypass the usual 'startx' or 'start gdm' commands that I haven't been able to get to work. (BTW, I'm really liking LXDE - 'sudo apt-get install lxde' - then from the command line 'startlxde'.

2. If I understand what you're trying to do with the excel file, you don't need to use the USB connection at all. If you e-mail a file to the Touchpad, it is downloaded to '/media/internal/downloads' (usually). Then using Internalz HD (preware) or Gemini (app catalog) (or also, actually, by using the Xterm app and the 'cp' or 'mv' commands) you can copy or move that file to '/media/ext3fx/ubuntu-natty-chroot/root/Documents'. I don't think you'll be able to access the chroot directories from the USB connection at all because you can't go above '/media/internal/' in the directory tree when accessing the TP via USB.

Hope this helps!
    Very helpful,thanks!

1. Typing "icewm" works to start session

2. InternalzPro was able to move spreadsheet from "ubuntu-natty-chroot/root/" to "media/internal" and vice-versa after changing "settings" to "master".
    Gemini was not able to go beyond /media/internal.

Using Xterm app gave me a root@HPTouchPad:var/home/root# prompt and I did not know how to get to "ubuntu-natty-chroot/root/" from there as I am not familiar with Linux (although rapidly getting there).

3. Bug with excel spreadsheet file from email attachment not showing up in media/internal

I was able to download and view from the email app by using QuickOffice but QuickOffice did not locate it from the app and I did not see it when browsing the media/internal folders. This sounds like a bug.
    My current workaround was to upload from laptop to box.net and then down to media/internal. Both QuickOffice and InternalzPro found it.

Obviously this would not be a good workaround unless the person emailing has access to box.net as an alternative to emailing the spreadsheet. I don't know also if they emailed a "link" to their boxnet file and I downloaded via the link, whether QuickOffice and InternalzPro could find the spreadsheet (I downloaded directly from my own box.net account).
    I noted earlier that I understand the correct way to run icewm is 'icewm-session'.

Once you have the 'root@HPTouchPad' prompt try typing 'cd /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/root' and you should get to the directory your want. Then, from the directory where you file is try 'mv myexcel.xls /media/internal/myexcel.xls' or 'cp myexcel.xls /media/internal/myexcel.xls'.

Also, you might just try moving the excel file into the /media/internal/downloads/boxnet directory and maybe Quick Office will find it there?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Rod and the WebOSInternals Team -

I never fail to be impressed by the tireless efforts you put in. You continue to not only confirm my faith in WebOS and its community, but in mankind itself. Another donation on the way!
    I noted earlier that I understand the correct way to run icewm is 'icewm-session'.

Once you have the 'root@HPTouchPad' prompt try typing 'cd /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/root' and you should get to the directory your want. Then, from the directory where you file is try 'mv myexcel.xls /media/internal/myexcel.xls' or 'cp myexcel.xls /media/internal/myexcel.xls'.

Also, you might just try moving the excel file into the /media/internal/downloads/boxnet directory and maybe Quick Office will find it there?
    Understood thanks.

No the excel file downloaded from mail simply does not show up (even though it must be somewhere because QuickOffice can open it from the email app (but not from the QuickOffice app).
    ajs26 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Understood thanks.

No the excel file downloaded from mail simply does not show up (even though it must be somewhere because QuickOffice can open it from the email app (but not from the QuickOffice app).
    How about trying in '/media/internal/.qo' ? I found some of my google docs in there after opening them in QO.
    How about trying in '/media/internal/.qo' ? I found some of my google docs in there after opening them in QO.
    I have no such folder, sorry. Saw your screenshots in the QuickOffice thread (nice!) and I posted a few there also.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I have no such folder, sorry. Saw your screenshots in the QuickOffice thread (nice!) and I posted a few there also.
    Hey yours too! This is cool stuff. I've definitely got to send some $ webos-internals way (I don't think I can swing it before the 1st but it's coming, guys!)

Couple of questions: Is it possible you aren't seeing hidden folders? - I think .qo should be there (not 100% sure).

Also, have you been able to get flash to run in chromium? If so, how? That would be sweet!
    I'm not a developer but Pokerking98 asked me about Eclipse so I gave it a shot. It runs - but I don't have any coding projects to open.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hey yours too! This is cool stuff. I've definitely got to send some $ webos-internals way (I don't think I can swing it before the 1st but it's coming, guys!)

Couple of questions: Is it possible you aren't seeing hidden folders? - I think .qo should be there (not 100% sure).

Also, have you been able to get flash to run in chromium? If so, how? That would be sweet!
    No, InternalzPro has "hidden" turned on.

No, went to hulu, it asked me to download flash but the Adobe download site said it was not available, I did not experiment further. I would like the OTA to come out and make the system more stable before I experiment much further.
    I've tried Lightspark and Gnash as well, but doesn't seem to work, either in Firefox or Chromium.

I've got another question about installing new software. Are you getting errors, that is, are you getting an 'unable to configure avahi-daemon'? I'm guessing it has something to do with the Chroot implementation, but I'm not sure. It's a network discovery component, I think, but I'm not having any issue with network connectivity.

I did try to open a file off of my server (Windows 2003) using LibreOffice Writer but it didn't do anything. But when I just copied the file to a local directory it opened fine. Handy enough, I guess. Have you tried just connecting to your PC via samba?
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    If you do not want to re-doctor your phone, this is how to do it with an image file:
    First, open a terminal (everything is done on device).

1048576 (KB) means 1 GB, you can replace that (used in two commands).
    Code:
    cd /media/internal
    dd if=/dev/zero of=ubuntu.img bs=1024 count=1048576
    mkfs.ext3 -F -b 1024 ubuntu.img 1048576
    mkdir /media/ext3fs
    To mount it (needs to be redone after reboot):
    Code:
    mount -o loop /media/internal/ubuntu.img /media/ext3fs
    Then install the Ubuntu chroot package from Preware (not sure, you may have to enable the testing feeds).
    As others have mentioned, this will result in the device not being able to go into USB mode, but there's another way. Instead of putting the image file in /media/internal, put it in /media/cryptofs (which is where Optware puts its ext3fs image). This works nicely for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by lagoldste View Post
    As others have mentioned, this will result in the device not being able to go into USB mode, but there's another way. Instead of putting the image file in /media/internal, put it in /media/cryptofs (which is where Optware puts its ext3fs image). This works nicely for me.
    I concur on /media/cryptofs.

-- Rod
    Is there a 2GB file size limit in /media/cryptofs ? I'm have a hard time moving my 3.9GB debsmall.img file to /media/cryptofs trying either Internalz HD or via cmd line using 'mv debsmall.img /media/cryptofs' .
    Is there a 2GB file size limit in /media/cryptofs ? I'm have a hard time moving my 3.9GB debsmall.img file to /media/cryptofs trying either Internalz HD or via cmd line using 'mv debsmall.img /media/cryptofs' .
    Did you shut down the Ubuntu chroot and unmount the image file first?
    I would suggest repartitioning if you are using a 3.9GB image.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Did you shut down the Ubuntu chroot and unmount the image file first?
    Yes, using WebOSQuickInstall cmd line, Xserver/Xterm cmd lind and internalz HD, all stop at 2GB with an error. But no error copying a 3.9 to /media/internal via USB transfer.
    Yes, using WebOSQuickInstall cmd line, Xserver/Xterm cmd lind and internalz HD, all stop at 2GB with an error. But no error copying a 3.9 to /media/internal via USB transfer.
    Probably a libfuse limitation on the cryptofs backed by vfat.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Turns out it's a hard limit not on the size of a file, but on the size of a download. HP webOS Developer Blog discusses the various upper bounds in WebOS.

rwhitby's probably right that the most sensible approach in this case would be to repartition the SSD. But if you really don't want to repartition, I can think of at least two alternatives. You could get clever and use dd to chop the image file into 3 or 4 pieces and then reassemble them with cat.* Or you could build another image file. If the contents are under 2GB, you could use rsync to copy stuff from one loopback mount to the other. Etc. (it's Friday afternoon. I'm bored)

*Don't laugh. Entirely too many years ago all I had to sneakernet SunOS patch files to where they needed to be was a floppy drive and dd. It works.
    Turns out it's a hard limit not on the size of a file, but on the size of a download. HP webOS Developer Blog discusses the various upper bounds in WebOS.

rwhitby's probably right that the most sensible approach in this case would be to repartition the SSD. But if you really don't want to repartition, I can think of at least two alternatives. You could get clever and use dd to chop the image file into 3 or 4 pieces and then reassemble them with cat.* Or you could build another image file. If the contents are under 2GB, you could use rsync to copy stuff from one loopback mount to the other. Etc. (it's Friday afternoon. I'm bored)

*Don't laugh. Entirely too many years ago all I had to sneakernet SunOS patch files to where they needed to be was a floppy drive and dd. It works.
    Or you could install the 64MB ubuntu chroot package, and just untar the tarball into your new blank image file.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I would suggest repartitioning if you are using a 3.9GB image.

-- Rod
    I probably will eventually. I ended up resizing the file I had, after running bleachbit (and getting rid of eclipse.) about 600M free on a 2gb image. The best thing about the image for me is that I can just copy it off once in a while, as a backup.

BTW, any particular reason you know of that it's 3-4 times faster to copy via USB using Ubuntu running in Virtualbox than on the host Win7 64bit?