Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Oh dear, looks like I misunderstood the need to get the 3.0 developer beta firmware to use the onscreen keyboard (in spite of the more explicit instructions... but that's a failure on my end ). I had assumed that, since webOS 3.0 is already out and all, the beta for it had ended. lol

I'm guessing I need to get into the early access program at developer.palm.com for that little goodie?
    Last edited by FenrirWolf; 07/19/2011 at 05:37 AM.
    To those not being able to open GUI apps: Did you run this inside the chroot?:
    Code:
    export DISPLAY=:0
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    I don't know how easy this would be possible, but what about an Android chroot environment? Imagine being able to run Android apps on your webOS device.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I don't know how easy this would be possible, but what about an Android chroot environment? Imagine being able to run Android apps on your webOS device.
    How would they render?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    How would they render?

-- Rod
    As said, I don't know.

Unrelated:
    icewm seems to work fine in Ubuntu chroot/XServer (Pre 2).
    Works pretty nice on such a small screen.
    How to get add-apt-repository working? I can't install it via apt-get and it seems to be not included in the standard installation.
    How to get add-apt-repository working? I can't install it via apt-get and it seems to be not included in the standard installation.
    That would be a standard Ubuntu question, not an X Server on the Pre question.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    If you do not want to re-doctor your phone, this is how to do it with an image file:
    First, open a terminal (everything is done on device).

1048576 (KB) means 1 GB, you can replace that (used in two commands).
    Code:
    cd /media/internal
    dd if=/dev/zero of=ubuntu.img bs=1024 count=1048576
    mkfs.ext3 -F -b 1024 ubuntu.img 1048576
    mkdir /media/ext3fs
    To mount it (needs to be redone after reboot):
    Code:
    mount -o loop /media/internal/ubuntu.img /media/ext3fs
    Then install the Ubuntu chroot package from Preware (not sure, you may have to enable the testing feeds).
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    If you do not want to re-doctor your phone, this is how to do it with an image file:

Code:
    cd /media/internal
    mkdir /media/ext3fs
    Code:
    Then install the Ubuntu chroot package from Preware (not sure, you may have to enable the testing feeds).
    Does this method work for the TouchPad as well?

Code:
    cd /media/internal
    mkdir /media/ext3fs
    Code:
    There are some issues doing it this way. You will need to unmount it to get USB mode to work correctly, also OTA have issues. Just be aware of these when you are doing it this way instead of going the partition route. Also the Partition route has better performance. I plan on only using this process for testing and small use cases not as a use all the time type of thing.
    On TP - is the 3.0 developer beta firmware REALY necessary ?
    As desperate I'd like to run X11 progs, I would prefer to stay with MR'ed firmware.
    In front of the nearing OTA 3.xyz, I'm curios whether/when I can expect running X11/Ubuntu on a "close-to-unmodified" TP ?

-stefan
    I'm running it on a normal metadoctored firmware since i don't have beta access yet. It works except that you can't call the virtual keyboard. I've been meaning to pick up the bluetooth keyboard for a while now, so I did that today so I can play around with this stuff.
    Holy BiJimminy! It works!

So, I have enough knowledge of linux to be truly dangerous (not really dangerous, but, um dangermouse.) but I've been playing around with this on the TouchPad since last night and can report the following:

First, just to give myself some clues and refresh my linux a bit, I played around with setting up a debsmall.img mounted in the emulator. (I actually would have liked to try out the whole thing in the emulator but that doesn't work - fine.)

So I pulled out my TouchPad.

I'm not using the Developer Beta, just a stock TouchPad, but I have a BT Keyboard. Not really wanting to Doctor just yet, I used the debsmall.img method, installed Xecutah, Xserver, Xterminal & UbuntuChroot.

Thanks to Dragone, I figured out how to run the setup > I tried everything I could think of from the launchpad but it wasn't until I started the Xserver from Xecutah and then ran Ubuntu Chroot that it showed up.

Okay, so I installed Xfce4 first and then tried 'startx' but got the error that the xserver was locked, then I tried 'startxfce4' and low and behold - there's a gui! But there seem to be problems with the keyboard and I could get the space bar to work. So dropped out of that and then tried Xubuntu but I could never figure out how to run it with the Xserver display errors:

xauth: (stdin):1 bad display name "TouchPad:0" in add command
    Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0

Apparently this is an upstart -chroot problem - kinda above my level - kinda.

Anyway, I moved on and just installed OpenOffice (apt-get openoffice.org - wow, easy button!) ran 'soffice -writer' and boom Writer's open in a card! (I got an error 'Operating system doesn't support locale "en-US' but it works fine - wherever it thinks I am.)

I had to dig around a little to figure out where Swriter was saving but found it
    under the /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/ directory tree. But then I copied into my /media/internal/documents dir and opened it in QuickOffice just to be sure I could. Amazing!

As elpollodiablo1 mentioned, there are issues with using the TP as a USB drive while the debsmall.img is mounted

But this is so incredible, folks! Amazing work! Talk about endless possibilities!
    I've run into an issue where I can't use ctrl-c or ctrl-x, which is kinda crippling for programs like nano. Is there a workaround of some sort aside from having to restart the whole thing again?
    Just one more quick update: I just installed xtightvncviewer and connected to my server running 2003. SWEET!

Edit: Just tried LXDE desktop and works very well and even connects via smb to my network Win2003 server without issue. I'm truly amazed!
    Last edited by kayphoonstar; 07/19/2011 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Holy BiJimminy! It works!
    I had to dig around a little to figure out where Swriter was saving but found it
    under the /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/ directory tree. But then I copied into my /media/internal/documents dir and opened it in QuickOffice just to be sure I could. Amazing!
    Helpful. This is getting somewhere possibly useful.

I successfully installed LibreOffice, Chromium-Browser and Icewm and am using the bluetooth keyboard.

Chromium was slow but passable.

I emailed to myself an excel spreadsheet and I created a test spreadsheet in calc in order to experiment for an upcoming trip.

Did you use a file manager on the TouchPad to find these files? Those directories are not showing up for me in Mac's finder when I put the TouchPad into USB.

If I email to myself a spreadsheet, where would I find it? And would I have to move it to /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/ in order for Calc to open it or can Calc open it from where it downloaded?

For IceWm, does anyone know how to start it up? I've been simply rerunning "apt-get install icewm ; icewm" each time I open the card.

Thanks! This is the first time I've used Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Helpful. This is getting somewhere possibly useful.

I successfully installed LibreOffice, Chromium-Browser and Icewm and am using the bluetooth keyboard.

Chromium was slow but passable.

I emailed to myself an excel spreadsheet and I created a test spreadsheet in calc in order to experiment for an upcoming trip.

Did you use a file manager on the TouchPad to find these files? Those directories are not showing up for me in Mac's finder when I put the TouchPad into USB.

If I email to myself a spreadsheet, where would I find it? And would I have to move it to /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/ in order for Calc to open it or can Calc open it from where it downloaded?

For IceWm, does anyone know how to start it up? I've been simply rerunning "apt-get install icewm ; icewm" each time I open the card.

Thanks! This is the first time I've used Linux.
    Forgive me if I'm not sure I understand the questions but here's my best shot:

1. I'm not familiar with icewm but to run it from a command line can't you just type 'icewm' at the command prompt? Or possibly 'starticewm' ?(!) I think that any 'start' (upstart) command will bring up issues with Xserver. The reason I was able to start lxde and xfce4 was because they seem to bypass the usual 'startx' or 'start gdm' commands that I haven't been able to get to work. (BTW, I'm really liking LXDE - 'sudo apt-get install lxde' - then from the command line 'startlxde'.

2. If I understand what you're trying to do with the excel file, you don't need to use the USB connection at all. If you e-mail a file to the Touchpad, it is downloaded to '/media/internal/downloads' (usually). Then using Internalz HD (preware) or Gemini (app catalog) (or also, actually, by using the Xterm app and the 'cp' or 'mv' commands) you can copy or move that file to '/media/ext3fx/ubuntu-natty-chroot/root/Documents'. I don't think you'll be able to access the chroot directories from the USB connection at all because you can't go above '/media/internal/' in the directory tree when accessing the TP via USB.

Hope this helps!
    There is already an X Server running, so any Ubuntu convenience script (e.g. startx) which attempts to start an X Server will fail. You need to start window managers, not complete X sessions.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is already an X Server running, so any Ubuntu convenience script (e.g. startx) which attempts to start an X Server will fail. You need to start window managers, not complete X sessions.

-- Rod
    Thanks. that's what I figured. And the 'start gdm' won't work because it's been converted to an upstart script. . .

I tried out icewm (which, BTW, I guess should be started with 'icewm-session' and found that it has it's advantages and disadvantages over lxde. In lxde, I can connect to my network server via smb which does not appear to be supported in icewm. On the other hand, attempting to run a terminal window in lxde brings down the whole 'Xserver' creation.

But, ultimately, I'm really amazed at how stable it feels. I'm getting D-Bus and 'extension RANDR is missing' errors when starting the window managers but it doesn't seem to be a problem with how things work.

As mentioned earlier, nano and vi are almost unusable because of keyboard mapping issues but gedit (I like it better, anyway) runs fine and I could use that to change the host file to include an entry for the host "TouchPad" which was complaining about not resolving.

Neither of the window managers seem to close correctly and return to a prompt. But using either one at least provides for better window control for swriter or calc than simply running them from the command line.

I honestly couldn't get terribly excited about this on the Pre because of the screen size, I guess, but it is incredibly exciting to me to be using it on the TouchPad! The keyboard mapping seems to be the biggest challenge but even that isn't insurmountable.
    The TouchPad keyboard mapping is being worked on.

-- Rod