Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I just saw Rod's tweet on Xecutah and it got me very excited. I'm interested in what Xecutah has to offer over the X server/xterm combo already available (besides one package for both).
    The ability to function on webOS 1.x, 2.x and 3.x for a start ...

BTW, it's not one package for both. It controls the other packages.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    any word on once this(xecutah) will be released through Preware offical or test feed? or once Xterm/Xserver will be updated? I have noticed there has been some changes to Xterm/Xserver which has not trickled through yet. I am still running v0.2 on webos 1.4.5 with out any updates in preware and it is up to V0.6 on webos-internals git site. Looks like there have been some helpful keys mappings added after v0.2 and alot of restructuring of the packages. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    any word on once this(xecutah) will be released through Preware offical or test feed?
    In the coming days/weeks. I have just got it running on:

TouchPad (running webOS 3.x)
    Pre 2 (running webOS 2.1.0)
    Veer (running webOS 2.1.2)
    Pixi (running webOS 1.4.5)

Unfortunately, the keyboard mappings have only been created for the TouchPad and Veer so far (and even they are not complete), so more work is needed before we do a public release.

Feel feel to compile the packages from the x_restructure branch of the WIDK if you want to help.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Be glad to test spreadsheet editing, open office for you (rubbing my eyes, did I read those tweets correctly?).

I am a Linux newbie (or a Microsoft escapee in other words) and could probably follow a tutorial.

I have available:
    TouchPad
    PrePlus--metadoctor 2.1
    Pre2 running what might be an official version of Verizon 2.1 (carrierROM Nova-Verizon-Roadrunner-114, bought on ebay)
    Macbook with VmWare

ps You are and will always be Ninjas
    I'd like to use UbuntuChroot on my Pre 2 without creating a new (real) partition my device.
    It is possible to do this as described on the Debian chroot page, so mounting an image file on /media/ext3fs?
    Which Ubuntu image to download?
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Mount an empty filesystem image there, and the Ubuntu chroot package will populate it.

-- Rod
    I try ubuntu chroot with x server on my old pre- with metadoctor 2.1, almost all ubuntu apps that I install crash when I try to launch..for now the only 1 that seems to work is chromium browser, the problem is for the hw of Pre-?..I'll try also in my Pre 2 in the next days...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm Pre- Unlocked O2 Germany
    Palm Pre 2 Unlocked UK
    HP Pre 3 Unlocked Fr
    HP TouchPad 16Gb WiFi US
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Everytime it try to install a GUI for ubuntu (apt-get install gnome or apt-get install ubuntu-desktop) it freezes and corrupts the files (I get an error message when reusing apt-get after the reboot)
    What device? How much memory?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Sorry ... it's my fault ... I ALWAYS forgot to add the whole story and details ...

Palm Pre 2 , WebOs 2.1.0
    I mapped an empty ext3 image (4GB) to /media/ext3fs (or whatever it is)
    Then I used the Ubuntu chroot from preware

Then after Xecutah -> XServer -> UbuntuChroot
    And then I run "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop"

After a random time the device stops anwering (usually during the unpacking phase)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragone View Post
    Sorry ... it's my fault ... I ALWAYS forgot to add the whole story and details ...

Palm Pre 2 , WebOs 2.1.0
    I mapped an empty ext3 image (4GB) to /media/ext3fs (or whatever it is)
    Then I used the Ubuntu chroot from preware

Then after Xecutah -> XServer -> UbuntuChroot
    And then I run "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop"

After a random time the device stops anwering (usually during the unpacking phase)
    I'd suggest starting by installing individual apps, rather than ubuntu-desktop.

-- Rod
    Rod you think that my problem Is about low memory on Pre-?

Palm Pre 2 Unlocked UK
    HP Pre 3 Unlocked Fr
    HP TouchPad 16Gb WiFi US
    Quote Originally Posted by Torakiki76 View Post
    Rod you think that my problem Is about low memory on Pre-?
    Installing individual apps first is a way to test.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Installing individual apps first is a way to test.

-- Rod
    I have done this, I try with libreoffice, gimp, openoffice and some other...but as I said the only one that work is chromium....

Palm Pre 2 Unlocked UK
    HP Pre 3 Unlocked Fr
    HP TouchPad 16Gb WiFi US
    What is the memory usage profile as you run those?

What is in /var/log/messages?

-- Rod
    Hi,rod
    Landscape mode for legacy pre?
    Thanks a lot.
    Black titanium belt for u..
    Quote Originally Posted by wanpaopao View Post
    Hi,rod
    Landscape mode for legacy pre?
    Thanks a lot.
    Black titanium belt for u..
    We're hoping to have it rotate automatically in the future sometime.

-- Rod
    I'm about to meta-doctor my TouchPad and I was wondering if the default 2GB for the ext3 partition is sufficient for UbuntuChroot or if I should increase the size to something larger.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I'm about to meta-doctor my TouchPad and I was wondering if the default 2GB for the ext3 partition is sufficient for UbuntuChroot or if I should increase the size to something larger.
    The minimal chroot with nothing installed is less than 100MB. After that it depends on what apps you install and what libraries they depend on.

I personally allocated 8GB, but that's a huge overkill for most people.

-- Rod
    Sounds good. I figure I'll stick with 2GB until I find myself needing more space sometime down the line.