Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We've just started alpha testing of a new version of Preware & Package Manager Service, all rolled into a single package where the service is written in C instead of Java.

This new "Preware Alpha" application is in the WebOS Internals testing feed, and can be installed with Preware or palm-install.

It's a single package which contains everything needed, so don't go looking for a Package Manager Service to go with it, cause that's not required for Preware Alpha.

It is intended that Preware Alpha will eventually become Preware 1.0.0 ...

Only install it if you are a serious hard-core alpha tester that knows the Linux command line like the back of your hand. If you don't know what dbus or upstart is, then wait for the beta version. The service that actually does the package installation has been re-written from scratch by me using C rather than Java. There's likely to be issues found in the alpha testing which will require command line usage of ipkg to resolve.

Oh, it has some nice things like a download progress meter ...

Oh, and it doesn't kill your cellular connection when you install it or update it ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/05/2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Removed the "WOSQI is now obsolete ;)" comment - seems that wink emoticons are not noticed.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    sounds great. two thumbs up
    Cant wait sounds awesome.

oh and what and where is this palm-install you speak of? Webos QI is no more? You guys are amazing, thank you for all the hard work and making this phone what it can and should be.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    It's hard to imagine anything easier than WebOSQI ! Thanks for your efforts and your positive presence on this forum. thorne
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Amazing talent here!

Does this mean that the loading of webOS programs, etc will no longer use USB when Preware 1.0 is finished?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Amazing talent here!

Does this mean that the loading of webOS programs, etc will no longer use USB when Preware 1.0 is finished?
    That's already the case with Preware 0.9 ...

-- Rod
    Just to clarify, Preware Alpha is it's own package and not an update so I will essentially have 2 working Preware apps on my phone, correct?

To make my question more clear, will preware 0.9 still work as well if I install the alpha?
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That's already the case with Preware 0.9 ...

-- Rod
    I guess I asked the wrong question. This concept kinda blows my mind

So this will really obsolete WOSQI? We're you joking?

Will custom kernels be installable and removable with this system?

So no need for .jar files for installs, removals of Apps, Themes, and Patches?

We will still need USB for Doctoring, EPR, etc. Am I getting close?
    Last edited by TomD; 04/02/2010 at 12:08 PM.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    wheres palm install?? I liked webOSqi!!

I guess if preware gets better it might go to the app catalog....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Just to clarify, Preware Alpha is it's own package and not an update so I will essentially have 2 working Preware apps on my phone, correct?

To make my question more clear, will preware 0.9 still work as well if I install the alpha?
    You will in fact have two working copies of Preware and yes they both work
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    this is not a late april fools joke is it? Can't wait.
    I am curious about all of this as well.
    I'm gonna wait for the Beta, but this is an amazing development. Kudos to Rod and the webOS Internals team, webOS will become the premiere OS on the market. Thanks!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    This is the experimental alpha testing version of Preware. You probably do not want to install this version.
    Oops... Too late
  15. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    This is because of my donation, right? You just felt so happy about it that you wanted to start another awesome project, right? Just for me, right?
    Last edited by xtn; 04/02/2010 at 09:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Is Jason R. on board with this, I know he works closely with you guys, since WOSQI will be "obsolete"? Also what are the true advantages of having the newer version, besides the service being merged and easier roll outs of updates?

I am guessing you guys got some cool ideas up your sleeve. Either way I am looking forward to it, and thanks for the great work!
    I'm pretty sure the WOSQI obsolete part was just a playful knock of Jason... I imagine it will be brought up to the same tech sooner or later.

or MAYBE, Jason can just focus on ComicShelf instead... Preeeeeeeeze
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    I'm pretty sure the WOSQI obsolete part was just a playful knock of Jason... I imagine it will be brought up to the same tech sooner or later.
    WOSQI is now obsolete (i.e. no longer required) for installing Preware (since all WebOS Internals tools will soon be installable with the official Palm SDK 'palm-install' too).

I'm sure it's other attributes will still be useful to others

-- Rod
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    That is correct.

That is part of the alpha testing

We want to make sure that the old and new service are fully API compatible for a smooth transition for Preware 1.0

So when you first install Preware Alpha, it is actually still using the old service until the next reboot, then it starts using the new service (with all the new features).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is correct.

That is part of the alpha testing

We want to make sure that the old and new service are fully API compatible for a smooth transition for Preware 1.0

So when you first install Preware Alpha, it is actually still using the old service until the next reboot, then it starts using the new service (with all the new features).

-- Rod
    Thanks. All seems good so far.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast