Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 229
  1. #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Make sure you run Preware once before running Save/Restore.

    -- Rod
    I did... Still no go. I will try running it again.
  2. #142  
    something weird is going on.. Sometimes when I run PWa it is showing the saved packages list and sometimes it is not there...
  3. #143  
    I'm curious what the approval process is for patches getting onto Preware?

    ie. I often see that patches have been submitted by devs to preware but it often takes between 2-7 days to appear in the feed. Is there some testing or just as time allows? Any reason that its not immediate, especially with patch updates?

    This is just out of curiosity, no hidden agendas here.
  4.    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    I'm curious what the approval process is for patches getting onto Preware?

    ie. I often see that patches have been submitted by devs to preware but it often takes between 2-7 days to appear in the feed. Is there some testing or just as time allows? Any reason that its not immediate, especially with patch updates?

    This is just out of curiosity, no hidden agendas here.
    It's a good question. Basically there is the patches.webos-internals.org portal, where patches sit until they are approved.

    There are a couple of people (all of which have full time jobs and families) who do that step.

    If a patch is not well-formed, it simply gets rejected.

    If a patch is well-formed, and does not contain any security vulnerabilities, and has all the associated descriptions and screenshots required, then the process from approval to the feed is largely automated, and takes a couple of minutes per patch.

    Since anyone on the internet can submit a patch, and since any patch has complete and unrestricted access to absolutely everything that is on or goes through your phone, then we do need a human review step.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I guess I asked the wrong question. This concept kinda blows my mind

    So this will really obsolete WOSQI? We're you joking?

    Will custom kernels be installable and removable with this system?

    So no need for .jar files for installs, removals of Apps, Themes, and Patches?

    We will still need USB for Doctoring, EPR, etc. Am I getting close?
    ??????
    Where have you been. I haven't needed WebOSQI since I did my first Preware install shortly after WebOS hit version 1.2. I used the WebOSQI for my first install of Preware and once to trouble shoot around the 1.3.5 upgrade cycle. Other than that Preware does it all. No cables needed.

    Edit: I should clarify that while WebOSQI serves a purpose, 'I' haven't needed to rely on it other than for the initial install and recent troubleshooting. Its an excellent package/software, just not really in my realm of requirements. The current Preware is more than adequate for homebrew and patch access.

    I am keeping tabs on the development of this next Preware (v1.0) as it looks fantastic and will go a ways to making the Palm Pre phones even easier to use.
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 04/09/2010 at 01:40 PM.
  6. #146  
    When I updated Preware I got a message saying Application Probably updated. So I looked at the IPKG Log and this is what it says.


    Download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    25 173k 25 45449 0 0 37711 0 0:00:04 0:00:01 0:00:03 69493
    100 173k 100 173k 0 0 91780 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 125k
    Install
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Configuring org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.preware-alpha.postinst)
    Mkdir-Prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    Install-Prerm
    Nothing Interesting.

    Did it update or do I have to start over again? I'm not sure what to look for in the new version.
  7. #147  
    Dont know if its been said but can you add the xbox live friends list to save restore? hate having to enter them all in by hand after a dr visit.
    Thanks
  8. #148  
    I'm having so few problems with this alpha version, I'd like to take out the stable (old) version. Are there any known issues? Is there anything I'll have to do with the CLI to make sure there's no real down time?

    The only real issues with Alpha I have is it's inability to "cleanly" update itself like the old one does, but being an alpha, I assume it's by design so we can look at the ipkg output(??). The other it that it doesn't put that little arrow icon on Palm Apps that are installed, but that's a pretty minor thing too.

    M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 04/11/2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Fix spelling... :-/
  9. #149  
    Just witnessed a genocide of all my open cards except Preware Alpha while I was updating Save/Restore. Preware Alpha was looking pretty guilty.
  10. plee3ac's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Just witnessed a genocide of all my open cards except Preware Alpha while I was updating Save/Restore. Preware Alpha was looking pretty guilty.
    This happens with regular Preware also ever since upgrading to 1.4.0 and 1.4.1.1. To be safe, I alway restart Luna after installing or updating from Preware and Preware Alpha.

    Hope this helps... plee3
  11.    #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Just witnessed a genocide of all my open cards except Preware Alpha while I was updating Save/Restore. Preware Alpha was looking pretty guilty.
    We call the Palm rescan service, and sometimes it causes this to happen. We don't know why, but nothing about how we do it has changed since well before 1.3.5 ...

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. #152  
    This is probably a silly idea, but just throwing this out there. If Preware Alpha is finished before June 30th and is put in the app catalog, it would easily become the #1 most downloaded app in days. $100,000 could really help WebOS Internals out.
  13. #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    When I updated Preware I got a message saying Application Probably updated. So I looked at the IPKG Log and this is what it says.


    Download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    25 173k 25 45449 0 0 37711 0 0:00:04 0:00:01 0:00:03 69493
    100 173k 100 173k 0 0 91780 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 125k
    Install
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    Upgrading org.webosinternals.preware-alpha on root from 0.9.58 to 0.9.60...
    Configuring org.webosinternals.preware-alpha
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.preware-alpha.postinst)
    Mkdir-Prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    Install-Prerm
    Nothing Interesting.

    Did it update or do I have to start over again? I'm not sure what to look for in the new version.
    I just got the same message when trying to update from 0.9.60 to 0.9.61, but I can tell you that it did NOT update..it still shows as 0.9.60 when I option-tap on the launcher icon. However, when I look at Installed packages it shows as 0.9.61, and when I tried to use regular Preware to remove Preware Alpha I first got a message that was something like "application probably not removed" and then I tried it a second time and it went through all the steps but froze when it got to "Removing SUCCESS". I let it sit for about 5 minutes before i reset the device (had to press POWER and slide the ringer switch 3 times). Once I loaded the phone back up, Preware Alpha was gone, but when I tried to open Preware to reinstall Preware Alpha, I got an error saying Package Manager Services wasnt running. So, I am in the process of going into Dev Mode to reinstall Package Mgr and will hopefully get Preware back!

    Fun Fun Fun

    Note that I am on 1.4.1.1 on a Sprint Pre,
  14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I just got the same message when trying to update from 0.9.60 to 0.9.61, but I can tell you that it did NOT update..it still shows as 0.9.60 when I option-tap on the launcher icon. However, when I look at Installed packages it shows as 0.9.61, and when I tried to use regular Preware to remove Preware Alpha I first got a message that was something like "application probably not removed" and then I tried it a second time and it went through all the steps but froze when it got to "Removing SUCCESS". I let it sit for about 5 minutes before i reset the device (had to press POWER and slide the ringer switch 3 times). Once I loaded the phone back up, Preware Alpha was gone, but when I tried to open Preware to reinstall Preware Alpha, I got an error saying Package Manager Services wasnt running. So, I am in the process of going into Dev Mode to reinstall Package Mgr and will hopefully get Preware back!

    Fun Fun Fun
    Note that complete episode is working as expected for Preware Alpha.

    Firstly, the "probably installed" is correct - since the service is being updated, it can't be sure if the update of the service is successful or not (think of changing tyres on a moving car). We're still working out how to make that more definite.

    Secondly, the application icon will probably still show 0.9.36 (since the front-end code for preware classic and preware alpha is identical). You will notice the changelog is from 0.9.36 too.

    So you didn't need to remove anything or reinstall anything.

    If you remove Preware Alpha, you're also removing the built-in ipkgservice, so Preware will no longer work. That is also expected.

    Just trust and use the new version. You're an alpha tester - you need to not panic

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Check /var/log/messages when it happens and see if /var/usr/sbin/org.webosinternals.ipkgservice is restarting due to a segfault.

    -- Rod
    I just had a stuck "fixing packages" (it was on the app "Where"). Not really sure what I should be looking for, so I deleted all but the last lines from /var/log/messages for you. here is that file
    Attached Files Attached Files
  16.    #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I just had a stuck "fixing packages" (it was on the app "Where"). Not really sure what I should be looking for, so I deleted all but the last lines from /var/log/messages for you. here is that file
    Yeah, no smoking gun there unfortunately.

    Wish we could work out what is causing this - it's just too random to track down at the moment.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So you didn't need to remove anything or reinstall anything.

    If you remove Preware Alpha, you're also removing the built-in ipkgservice, so Preware will no longer work. That is also expected.
    Too late...but I reinstalled it just fine...

    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Secondly, the application icon will probably still show 0.9.36 (since the front-end code for preware classic and preware alpha is identical). You will notice the changelog is from 0.9.36 too.
    Actually, it was showing as Preware Alpha of 0.9.60, and after the removal and reinstall, it is now showing as 0.9.61...

    However, interestingly enough, when I Option-tap on Preware, it shows as 0.9.34 (as well as within Preware on the main banner), but within Preware Installed Packages listing, it shows as 0.9.35, but you wrote 0.9.36 above... So, (1) any idea why the disconnect between 0.9.34 and 0.9.35, and did you mean to write 0.9.36?
  18. #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    However, interestingly enough, when I Option-tap on Preware, it shows as 0.9.34 (as well as within Preware on the main banner), but within Preware Installed Packages listing, it shows as 0.9.35, but you wrote 0.9.36 above... So, (1) any idea why the disconnect between 0.9.34 and 0.9.35, and did you mean to write 0.9.36?
    And to add to that...I tried to use webOS Quick Install to insteall 0.9.35 over 0.9.34 on my Pre and I got the following error (see screenshot). any idea whats going on?

    thanks, as always
    Attached Images Attached Images
  19. #159  
    I might have missed it somewhere, but has Preware Alpha been removed from the testing feed? I loaded only that feed and it shows 4 applications, none of them being Preware Alpha. Do I need to just install via WOSQI? Anyone?
  20. #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    I might have missed it somewhere, but has Preware Alpha been removed from the testing feed? I loaded only that feed and it shows 4 applications, none of them being Preware Alpha. Do I need to just install via WOSQI? Anyone?
    Which testing feed are you looking at? There is the "all" and the "arm7". Preware alpha is in the arm7.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions