Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quick, and potentially stupid, question...

I've noticed after updating to the latest versions of both Preware (v0.9.35) and Preware Alpha (v0.9.58) that if I go into the App feeds, select the Pre|Central feed and select an app (for this example, I chose Geocaching for webOS), and I click Install, the Browser opens and brings me to the P|C page for the app. If I'm not mistaken, in previous versions, Preware would download and install the app from that feed.

But after a little further investigation, this seems to be an isolated issue with the Geocaching app. I just installed Timepiece and Wolfenstein Pre-D from the P|C feed without issue...

Also, I currently have PMS v0.9.45 installed, all running on a Sprint Pre with v1.4.1.1
    Tried the reupdating several times, makes no diff. Didn't know there was an Alpha Build, where do I get it ? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I have turned the option off for scanning unknown packages and that prevents the hang problem for me.
    Tried the reupdating several times, makes no diff. Didn't know there was an Alpha Build, where do I get it ? Thanks

Now I have turned of the scanning of unknowns, Preware is no longer hanging. Thanks so much for the fast response. Beats the hell out of the 2 days it took Palm support to call me back last time.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by highlanderusa View Post
    This is the thread for Preware Alpha. There is a different thread for Preware. Which are you running?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by coveredwagonkid View Post
    Quick, and potentially stupid, question...

I've noticed after updating to the latest versions of both Preware (v0.9.35) and Preware Alpha (v0.9.58) that if I go into the App feeds, select the Pre|Central feed and select an app (for this example, I chose Geocaching for webOS), and I click Install, the Browser opens and brings me to the P|C page for the app. If I'm not mistaken, in previous versions, Preware would download and install the app from that feed.

But after a little further investigation, this seems to be an isolated issue with the Geocaching app. I just installed Timepiece and Wolfenstein Pre-D from the P|C feed without issue...

Also, I currently have PMS v0.9.45 installed, all running on a Sprint Pre with v1.4.1.1
    I suspect it's something to do with applications that have the same appid in precentral and the app catalog. Authors are told by Palm not to do that, but they persist and it causes problems like these.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Did the "save" in preware alpha, now trying to run the Save in the Save/Restore application, and it's been running for at least 5 minutes or more-- normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    11) Note that you don't need WOSQI for any of this - sorry Jason, I just had to say it

Preware Alpha can be installed on a completely new device using palm-install from the Palm SDK or PDK, and may even be installable using fileCoaster or PreLoad in the future ...
    *EDIT*

I originally asked why Preware wasn't in the App Catalog and if a standalone installer could be made. My answers were found in http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...installer.html
    Last edited by donnydonny; 04/06/2010 at 10:38 PM.
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonny View Post
    May I ask what's the reason that Preware isn't available (or can't be made available) in the App Catalog? Obviously, this would be the easiest way to reinstall Preware. I'm sure if it were that easy or too many hurdles, that you would've done it already.
    Preware is not able to comply with the content requirements for the app catalog, since it is able to install things that are outside of the app catalog.

There are stand-alone installers for Preware at Index of / but they need to be updated for 1.4.1 ...

-- Rod
    Preware Alpha - Why oh why did Preware package list persistence come just AFTER the first time I ever had to Dr. my purchased at launch Pre with over a hundred apps and over 50 patches. :-( Great job!
    was this yanked from the testing feed? I can't find it in there... Or am I not adding the right feed?

been searching for a while, can you just point in the direction of the URL?
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    was this yanked from the testing feed? I can't find it in there... Or am I not adding the right feed?

been searching for a while, can you just point in the direction of the URL?
    The WebOS Internals wiki has the information.

-- Rod
    that's what I added... Everything but preware alpha gets shown in preware such as pretether and things. I disabled everything but the testing url and it doesn't show preware alpha.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    that's what I added... Everything but preware alpha gets shown in preware such as pretether and things. I disabled everything but the testing url and it doesn't show preware alpha.
    What are the two URLs shown in the webos-internals-testing feed item in your Manage Feeds page?

-- Rod
    hmmm two URLs, I added Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/all/ as is suggested in the wiki, there was no second URL for me to add so that is the only one that appears.
    So am I just being ignorant to something really obvious? Been at this for a while lol, starting to feel dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Preware is not able to comply with the content requirements for the app catalog, since it is able to install things that are outside of the app catalog.

There are stand-alone installers for Preware at [url= of /[/url] but they need to be updated for 1.4.1 ...

-- Rod
    not that this really matters for me, atleast now, but in the case that one may need, or want to install preware from maybe a fresh dr.d device and maybe don't have access to a computer, couldn't preware be on the web feed which is not subject to palm review once the pdk is fully realesed as it's a C app?
    In the past when I've doctored my phone it has erased the USB mass storage section also, is that no longer the case?

EDIT: Also, just curious how this works? What unique ID is Preware using to remember who I am? Is it tied to the hardware? That would prevent this from working on a new Pre if you had a warranty or insurance replacement it seems.
    Last edited by mdmogren; 04/07/2010 at 02:25 AM.
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    not that this really matters for me, atleast now, but in the case that one may need, or want to install preware from maybe a fresh dr.d device and maybe don't have access to a computer, couldn't preware be on the web feed which is not subject to palm review once the pdk is fully realesed as it's a C app?
    The web feed is subject to the same security review as the catalog and beta feeds. Preware cannot be distributed through any of the 3 palm feeds, even after PDK apps (which will run in a chroot jail which would prevent Preware from operating) start being accepted.

-- Rod
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    In the past when I've doctored my phone it has erased the USB mass storage section also, is that no longer the case?

EDIT: Also, just curious how this works? What unique ID is Preware using to remember who I am? Is it tied to the hardware? That would prevent this from working on a new Pre if you had a warranty or insurance replacement it seems.
    You need to use the Save/Restore program to save your Preware application data to the USB drive, and then you should back up the saverestore diretory from your USB drive (as you should anyway for all the other things on your USB drive).

There is no identifying ID and there is no cloud connection. You simply take the data from the USB drive and do whatever you want withit. You can even load it into someone else's device if you want. Note that the applications themselves are not saved, just the list of homebrew packages you had installed.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Installed it and rebooting.. Will try in a second..

First impression: Works great..!!
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast