Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 229
  1. plee3ac's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    #41  
    There appears to be a bug in the new Preware Alpha.

    After installing Preware Alpha and rebooting, I get the following error when I try to use "Restart Luna" in Luna Manager (the app, not from the Preware menu):

    Method "restartluna" with signature "ss" on interface "org.json" doesn't exist.

    When I remove Preware Alpha, reinstall Preware, and reboot, I no longer get this message and Luna restarts as expected.

    Please let me know if you need more information on how to reproduce this problem.

    Thanks... plee3
  2. ToddK's Avatar
    Posts
    666 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Well I must say....kudos to both you guys for putting together a much needed advancement in the the WebOS development. Without both Rod and Jason, which do provide means for totally different areas and types of users to get a complete WebOS experience. I have to say I have probably used both softwares equally from each developer. Here is my breakdown just for clarification:

    WebOS QI: Install of Preware, certain ipk packages not in Preware, kernal installs, Repair Utility saved my **** lots of times.

    Preware: on the go App installs, Themes, and ota patches.

    again...THANKS to ALL you developers (aka the unpaid Palm should have been employees)
    Well, I hope that Rod, Jason and Palm will all get together and make brand new Palm webOS babies!

    Palm, these two guys, (and their co-workers), have done more to advance webOS, and make it a great OS, than you have.

    So, make them an "offer they can't refuse", and build these great features into webOS 2.0!

    I can't wait for Preware 1,0!

    Cheers!
  3. #43  
    I've read so many posts asking for a function like this, WebOS-Internals is always giving the people what they want/need. Tested the new function with various apps this morning, worked great.

    I really like Preware Alpha, it almost seems a little faster (may be my imagination). Either way, it works so well that I would be fine deleting Preware off of my phone (moved Preware to the last launcher page for now )

    Save/Restore has came along very quickly and I'm glad to see it and Preware Alpha together, it's like a homebrewer's or homebrewist's dream come true.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 04/04/2010 at 11:43 AM.
  4. GTMI1's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #44  
    I appreciate all you have done to aid in the developing of the Pre and the WebOS platform. I don't actually believe that WOSQI is now obsolete, though. Both of you have provided so much to our phones and this forum. The ability to add multiple patches and apps at one sitting is an advantage to using WOSQI. With that being said:

    I ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DONATE TO AS MANY WORTHY DEVELOPERS AS YOU CAN. If we all send a small donation it will encourage them to further their work on this platform.
  5. sweaner's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #45  
    How do I get Preware to load the WebOS Internals Testing feed?

    Edit: NEVERMIND, said Roseanne Rosanadana.
    Last edited by sweaner; 04/04/2010 at 12:36 PM.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    WOW from my post asking about this yesterday to a cunning idea in your head that youv'e had...that was quick!

    Awesome work Rod, thanks!

    I asked about adding save/restore app to preware a long time ago. Back when Save/restore was just being developed. Not saying it was my idea, but there was no response from Rod about it being a good idea. I guess an idea isn't an idea until he thinks of it. I smell ego.

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2321537
  7. #47  
    HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I was thinking, how will restoring the saved package list handle patch and app dependencies?
  8. neoncorey's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #48  
    Rod,

    If you have a new phone (new hardware), how does it know your profile on the WebOS Internals server is actually yours. Is there a Username/Password account in Preware Alpha? Or something tied to the Palm profile that will let it know that this is your data and not someone elses?

    Like always thanks for the awesome work, just trying to understand some of the inner workings.

    Thanks
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    WOW from my post asking about this yesterday to a cunning idea in your head that youv'e had...that was quick!

    Awesome work Rod, thanks!
    The cunning idea had been in the back of my head from well before I started developing Save/Restore. In fact, the Save/Restore architecture was explicitly designed to be generic enough to do all sorts of stuff like this. The final step was working out how to seamlessly integrate the right functionality into Preware.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    I asked about adding save/restore app to preware a long time ago. Back when Save/restore was just being developed. Not saying it was my idea, but there was no response from Rod about it being a good idea. I guess an idea isn't an idea until he thinks of it. I smell ego.

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2321537
    Thanks for your post pyrognome. The great thing about public IRC channel logs is that one can point back to discussions we had in #webos-internals over a month ago about different way that Preware and Save/Restore could work together. This use case was one of the main initial drivers for the Save/Restore application's inception.

    I believe your post in the Save/Restore thread is about launching Save/Restore from inside Preware or adding the Save/Restore functionality to Preware itself. I'm not sure how either of those ideas relates to what we've done in Preware Alpha and Save/Restore - we've chosen a Unix approach and kept separate functionality in separate applications that work together to achieve a larger end goal.

    The ideas for all this aren't new - we've been discussing this holy grail for over 6 months. It all takes time to put the many pieces in place for it to work smoothly for non-technical end users, and to do it in a way that does not impact current stable users while testing a new version.

    BTW, anyone should feel free to go and implement any of the ideas I post in public - WebOS Internals is all about the open sharing of information.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I was thinking, how will restoring the saved package list handle patch and app dependencies?
    Since the reinstallation of apps and patches is done by Preware, it automatically handles the dependencies correctly. This is a key reason why you don't try and bundle functionality together - each app does what it does correctly and they work together to achieve the end goal.

    Quote Originally Posted by neoncorey View Post
    Rod,

    If you have a new phone (new hardware), how does it know your profile on the WebOS Internals server is actually yours. Is there a Username/Password account in Preware Alpha? Or something tied to the Palm profile that will let it know that this is your data and not someone elses?

    Like always thanks for the awesome work, just trying to understand some of the inner workings.

    Thanks
    There is no server profile. The data is stored on the USB drive of your device, where you can easily back it up to your PC or NAS server over USB or wifi using existing well-known methods from simple USB transfer to a PC to Missing Sync to sophisticated wifi-based rsync solutions in the Xorg Tools. No cloud or privacy issues to worry about, and it even works when you don't have a network connection (i.e. you can run Save/Restore in the middle of the Australian Outback).

    Again, the concept of a number of smaller focused applications each doing one thing best allows the user to choose the best method and application for their own particular needs, rather than being forced into one conglomerate solution.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/04/2010 at 04:46 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The cunning idea had been in the back of my head from well before I started developing Save/Restore. In fact, the Save/Restore architecture was explicitly designed to be generic enough to do all sorts of stuff like this. The final step was working out how to seamlessly integrate the right functionality into Preware.

    -- Rod
    Just to clarify, I wasn't "taking credit," as I'm sure you have many ideas for future development and have had this is mind for a long time as you said. Looking forward to future seamless integration in the future.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    Just to clarify, I wasn't "taking credit," as I'm sure you have many ideas for future development and have had this is mind for a long time as you said. Looking forward to future seamless integration in the future.
    I think the credit for Preware and Save/Restore should go to the whole community - without the ideas and requests and input from all the users it wouldn't be half the application it is today.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. #54  
    so how come when i hit "Save Selected" it automatically turns off Preware Alpha even after i switch it to on?
    it also turns off memos, messgaging, and Dr podder
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    There appears to be a bug in the new Preware Alpha.

    After installing Preware Alpha and rebooting, I get the following error when I try to use "Restart Luna" in Luna Manager (the app, not from the Preware menu):

    Method "restartluna" with signature "ss" on interface "org.json" doesn't exist.

    When I remove Preware Alpha, reinstall Preware, and reboot, I no longer get this message and Luna restarts as expected.

    Please let me know if you need more information on how to reproduce this problem.

    Thanks... plee3
    I am getting the same error message with the install of Preware ALpha
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    so how come when i hit "Save Selected" it automatically turns off Preware Alpha even after i switch it to on?
    it also turns off memos, messgaging, and Dr podder
    As it saves each app, it toggles the switch. That shows which saved and which didn't.

    They all turn back on again next time you enter that screen.

    -- Rod
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    There appears to be a bug in the new Preware Alpha.

    After installing Preware Alpha and rebooting, I get the following error when I try to use "Restart Luna" in Luna Manager (the app, not from the Preware menu):

    Method "restartluna" with signature "ss" on interface "org.json" doesn't exist.

    When I remove Preware Alpha, reinstall Preware, and reboot, I no longer get this message and Luna restarts as expected.

    Please let me know if you need more information on how to reproduce this problem.

    Thanks... plee3
    Thanks, that's likely to be a real bug.

    -- Rod
  18. #58  
    Rod -- I am getting a lot of freeze-ups during the "scanning unknown packages" process. This applies to the regular Preware as well, but it seems to happen more with the preware Alpha... Any idea why this would happen (it seems to be a different package every time)? Also, any way to add a "skip package" if it hangs up on a specific one?
  19. #59  
    OK, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong to add the testing feed (following instructions here: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals)

    The all feed doesn't seem to appear after updating feeds (but I don't get load error). The Pre only testing feed gives a 404 error when attempting to load...
    --Steve

    Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

    My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Rod -- I am getting a lot of freeze-ups during the "scanning unknown packages" process. This applies to the regular Preware as well, but it seems to happen more with the preware Alpha... Any idea why this would happen (it seems to be a different package every time)? Also, any way to add a "skip package" if it hangs up on a specific one?
    I notice that as well. I figured it was a network issues I usually just close it out and reopen and it works fine. In Preware I used to get it when scanning unknown packages so I just told it no in prefernces .
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions