Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Oops, spoke to soon. I have the Uber-Kernel installed and the Govnah, and it won't scale past 600, it's not even in the menu for the Govnah, and the temperature is not regestering in the Govnah either. Any ideas?

*UPDATE*
    Did a full shutdown and restart and all is well with my Pre!!!
    Last edited by jakelaw; 04/30/2010 at 03:25 PM.
  2.    #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    What kind of rearchitecture?
    As we all know and experience, the current Preware architecture suffers when presented with package feeds with thousands and thousands of packages in them.

We hope for the continued success of webOS, so we need to rearchitect Preware to be able to deal with an app catalog with 100,000 apps in it.

We will do this in a way which is a seamless upgrade for current users, and we will not rush the process of getting it right.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Oops, spoke to soon. I have the Uber-Kernel installed and the Govnah, and it won't scale past 600, it's not even in the menu for the Govnah, and the temperature is not regestering in the Govnah either. Any ideas?

*UPDATE*
    Did a full shutdown and restart and all is well with my Pre!!!
    Preware should have presented you with a "Please reboot your device to complete the installation"-style dialog box after you installed Uber-Kernel. Did that happen?

A device always need to be rebooted after a kernel change.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    it did not give me a box at all. It may be because my last 6 or so items on my "saved" list would not install automatically because for whatever reason, Jason's 'temperature with battery in device menu' patch would not auto install. even after I installed it manually, the list would not skip it. That made it so I had to install the last few manually, including the kernel. I should have known to re-boot, (and do) but was just so excited to have a "clean" Pre I didn't do it.
    I just doctored my phone and tried installing everything on my saved package list but when it reaches the third part app amulet-Beta-2 i get this error in the IPKG Log:

Install
    An error occurred, return value: 4.
    Cannot find package org.webosinternals.preware-alpha.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
    Collected errors

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: failure during 'install' operation

I am sure I am getting this error because aumlet-beta-2 is no longer in the preware feeds. Is there anyway to edit the package list I backed up on my computer to delete this third part app from the list?
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by olufadi1 View Post
    I just doctored my phone and tried installing everything on my saved package list but when it reaches the third part app amulet-Beta-2 i get this error in the IPKG Log:

Install
    An error occurred, return value: 4.
    Cannot find package org.webosinternals.preware-alpha.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
    Collected errors

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: failure during 'install' operation

I am sure I am getting this error because aumlet-beta-2 is no longer in the preware feeds. Is there anyway to edit the package list I backed up on my computer to delete this third part app from the list?
    The latest version of Preware Alpha support swipe to delete in the Saved Package List.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The latest version of Preware Alpha support swipe to delete in the Saved Package List.

-- Rod
    Thanks. I was running the normal Preware 0.9.35. Installing now. Thanks for the quick response.
    Rod today I get this error whenever i load up preware, and updated to the latest version and still get it, it wont let me scroll up to show the entire thing, but here is a screen capture of what it shows

I press ok and then it only lets me access applications and nothing else, and on other times it lets me access apps, and services.
    Odd Behaviour report

Running Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-13 and Govnah 0.2.5 (card view is closed so the settings were invoked and then the app closed)

The 'odd behaviour' is this; I can open Preware Alpha, 0.9.68, and browse through the catalogues normally, however once I close Preware the phone will very shortly.....within a few minutes.....either freeze (requiring a battery pull to restore it) or it'll reboot itself.

I was getting the reboot behaviour with the older version of Preware Alpha BUT only when I had downloaded something that used the Preware feed. Now I just have to open Preware and browse the contents and then close.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Figure i'll mention my issue i seem to have encountered while using preware alpha. After installing mode switcher and the mode switcher in top bar patch, I restarted the phone. After restart, the phone boots with the top right bar menu open... and it will not close... cant click anywhere... cant even get into launcher to load preware alpha to remove it...

Update: figured out if i called the phone and answered than the phone app opens and closes the menu... got to preware alpha and uninstalled the patch. Works fine now w/o the patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Rod today I get this error whenever i load up preware, and updated to the latest version and still get it, it wont let me scroll up to show the entire thing, but here is a screen capture of what it shows

I press ok and then it only lets me access applications and nothing else, and on other times it lets me access apps, and services.
    Doing a complete restart should fix this problem, I get it every once in a while as well.

On a related note, has anyone noticed an increase in this type of error with the most recent version of Preware Alpha? This used to be a very rare error for me, but since the last update I get it every few days.
  12.    #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Doing a complete restart should fix this problem, I get it every once in a while as well.

On a related note, has anyone noticed an increase in this type of error with the most recent version of Preware Alpha? This used to be a very rare error for me, but since the last update I get it every few days.
    For some reason, it looks like your /media/cryptofs partition is being set to read-only. You will need to work out what is causing that, cause Preware doesn't do that (at least not intentionally, and not for anyone else it seems).

Can you reproduce it after a fresh webOS Doctor?

-- Rod
    For some reason, it looks like your /media/cryptofs partition is being set to read-only. You will need to work out what is causing that, cause Preware doesn't do that (at least not intentionally, and not for anyone else it seems).

Can you reproduce it after a fresh webOS Doctor?

-- Rod
    I'm not overly eager to go to the doctor because in my case a restart fixes it (and everything else is working great). I will however try uninstalled everything related to preware and reinstall it. That should help rule out preware as the culprit. Thanks for the response!
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    I asked about adding save/restore app to preware a long time ago. Back when Save/restore was just being developed. Not saying it was my idea, but there was no response from Rod about it being a good idea. I guess an idea isn't an idea until he thinks of it. I smell ego.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2321537
    Actually, I'd chalk it up to (1) Rod probably not having time to read, much less respond, to every post that gets made here, (2)multiple people having the same good idea (Newton and Liebnitz, anyone?)

And if I'm wrong and you're right, I think a little ego is a small price to pay for all the great output that we get from Rod, Oil, the WebOS Internals crew, Jason (Canucksoftware) and the many other fantastic devs cranking out new stuff for the Pre and Pixi on an almost daily basis, (mostly on their own time and their own dime, to boot!). For my own part, I'd be willing to put up with quite a bit more "ego" from these folks than I've ever seen here or on any of the forums.

Bottom line... instead of getting bent over the fact that "your" idea wasn't the one that got acknowledged, be glad that it went from vaporware in your head and others, to fully realized functional app available to you and all.

More gratitude, less griping. That's my motto.
    Proud Pre Early Adopter
    My wallpapers
    Try my SteamPunk'd Theme!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garavin View Post
    Actually, I'd chalk it up to (1) Rod probably not having time to read, much less respond, to every post that gets made here, (2)multiple people having the same good idea (Newton and Liebnitz, anyone?)

And if I'm wrong and you're right, I think a little ego is a small price to pay for all the great output that we get from Rod, Oil, the WebOS Internals crew, Jason (Canucksoftware) and the many other fantastic devs cranking out new stuff for the Pre and Pixi on an almost daily basis, (mostly on their own time and their own dime, to boot!). For my own part, I'd be willing to put up with quite a bit more "ego" from these folks than I've ever seen here or on any of the forums.

Bottom line... instead of getting bent over the fact that "your" idea wasn't the one that got acknowledged, be glad that it went from vaporware in your head and others, to fully realized functional app available to you and all.

More gratitude, less griping. That's my motto.
    +1
  16.    #216  
    If you do not want to be part of the testing of the release candidate for Preware 1.0, now would be a good time to disable your testing feeds.

-- Rod
    nice heads up Rod!!!
  18.    #218  
    Preware 0.9.99 is now in the testing feed. It supercedes all of Preware 0.9.38, Package Manager Service 0.9.46 and Preware Alpha 0.9.68, replacing all of those with a single self-contained package.

The upgrade process that Preware executes this time around might have some oddness, but trust that it will sort itself out in the end. It's like trying to change the tyres on a moving car ...

-- Rod
    Preware 0.9.99 is now in the testing feed. It supercedes all of Preware 0.9.38, Package Manager Service 0.9.46 and Preware Alpha 0.9.68, replacing all of those with a single self-contained package.

So far so good! It installed just fine (as usual!). I had to restart Luna for the new (old? ) icon to show up in the launcher, which gave me a bit of a fright before I did. I removed Alpha, updated (and re-did settings) of .99 and I'm off to the races!

Stellar job as usual! Thank you!

M.

The upgrade process that Preware executes this time around might have some oddness, but trust that it will sort itself out in the end. It's like trying to change the tyres on a moving car ...

-- Rod
    Using Preware Alpha v0.9.68 to install Preware v0.9.99, I am prompted to install Package Manager Service. It seems that "Preware" still has Package Manager Service as a dependency.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast