webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Save/Restore Community Development
Save/Restore Community Development
Like Tree15Likes

Old 03/21/2010, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Developer

WebOS Internals has a new application for saving and restoring application data.

The documentation for Save/Restore can be found at http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...on:SaveRestore

http://www.webosnation.com/backup contains a very good article on how to use Save/Restore to protect the data on your device.

This is the thread in which we will work as a community to develop the best save/restore support possible for webOS.

The conceptual architecture of Save/Restore is to (on a application by application basis) be able to save and restore application data to a location on the USB drive (/media/internal/saverestore). This saved data should be able to persist across a webOS Doctor or a Palm Profile reset and be restored after you have reinstalled the application. The saved data (e.g. a saved game state in Glyder 2) should also be able to be transferred from one device to another (assuming you have legal copies of the same application on two devices). Note that the application itself is not saved or copied (as that would be a copyright violation), just the data that is generated on your device from your inputs.

The list of applications currently supported can be seen at:

http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ap...tree;f=scripts

If you want to be involved in the development of Save/Restore, then join the #webos-internals IRC channel and make yourself known.

If you want to have your favourite application supported, then we propose a bounty system where someone who requests support for an application offers twice the cost of the application as a bounty (so the developer who adds support can buy that app for testing, plus another of their choosing for themselves, which they will then be likely to support with a saverestore script as well).

Note that a bounty is for the initial addition of support for the desired application, it must not have any strings attached regarding ensuring that application continues to be supported into the future if webOS or the application changes.

Post #341 in this thread has instructions on how to create new save/restore scripts. Please post any scripts you create in this thread so that we can add them to the official application releases.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 01/14/2012 at 06:33 PM.
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by sshaka, Proximity and truongtuananhhau1 like this.
Old 03/21/2010, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is great! Is there anything you and your team can't do. And I see its running on the pixis resolution!
koolkid09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2010, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dude!!! You guy's ROCK! I really hope this can get worked out!

Also, a programs I would love to see added are:

Brothers in Arms
Shrek Kart
Paratroopers

As for a way to get a credit card into the account, do pre-paid debit/credit cards work in the catalog? I would have no problem getting a prepaid credit card for someone (as long as i would be able to get reimbursed for the card). PM if interested in trying that out
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2010, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome work guys! Would love to see JogStats added to the list.
Volcom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2010, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rod, have you thought about including this type of functionality into Preware? to me it sounds as if we are doing after market changes, Preware would be a great utility to have this done.

The other idea I had was to be able to launch this app from inside Preware. Lets say that I want to backup some saved data for an app that I am intending to uninstall with Preware and then maybe install it again at a later date. It would be cool to do both with inside the app, install the app and then restore the saved data I have backed up for it.
pyrognome is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by caj27 likes this.
Old 03/22/2010, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

What about Terminal? This is really nice. (honestly, I mean that), but how about getting some old (broken) functionallity back before moving forward?
Xanadu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2010, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
What about Terminal? This is really nice. (honestly, I mean that), but how about getting some old (broken) functionallity back before moving forward?
+1
Old 03/22/2010, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
Different people on the team work on Terminal and this. The two things don't affect the forward progress of each other.

Terminal uses undocumented APIs, which changed in 1.4 - they now need to reverse engineered again. You can either help with that effort, or be patient.

Please talk about Terminal in the Terminal thread, not here where it's off-topic, and frankly bordering on being rude to the developers involved.

-- Rod
Old 03/22/2010, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is there a possibility of txt messages being backed up too?
HebrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by caj27 likes this.
Old 03/22/2010, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
Is there a possibility of txt messages being backed up too?
Yes, the architecture supports that. Someone will need to write the script to extract them and reinsert them properly.

-- Rod
Old 03/22/2010, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

That's pretty cool Rod, can't wait to see what devs can make out of this.
Thanks!

Is this available as of now?
Old 03/22/2010, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Yes, the architecture supports that. Someone will need to write the script to extract them and reinsert them properly.

-- Rod
SWEEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my Pre the day it came out and have never had to replace it, but I've always wanted to doctor it and do a full erase. It runs pretty good but I wanted to see if a "fresh start" would do anything for it b/c I have rooted around it and experimented with stuff over the months. But I didn't want to lose all my data/settings; and I know there are ways of backing up most everything right now, but I didn't want to mess around with database files and stuff.

Anyway, THANX AGAIN!!!
HebrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2010, 11:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
That's pretty cool Rod, can't wait to see what devs can make out of this.
Thanks!

Is this available as of now?
Yes, it's in beta testing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
SWEEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my Pre the day it came out and have never had to replace it, but I've always wanted to doctor it and do a full erase. It runs pretty good but I wanted to see if a "fresh start" would do anything for it b/c I have rooted around it and experimented with stuff over the months. But I didn't want to lose all my data/settings; and I know there are ways of backing up most everything right now, but I didn't want to mess around with database files and stuff.

Anyway, THANX AGAIN!!!
Note that I said the architecture supports it. The implementation of the saverestore script is non-trivial to say the least.

Currently the com.palm.app.messaging saverestore script can write out a CSV file (with '|' delimiters) of all IM and SMS messages. I doubt that being able to reinsert that into the PalmDatabase is going to happen any time soon.

-- Rod

Last edited by rwhitby; 03/30/2010 at 02:39 AM.
Thanked By: Cantaffordit
Old 03/24/2010, 05:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Developer

I've now added support for SplashID, and AnOutsider and pretomcat are helping on the GUI.

Also supported now is Asphalt5, Shrek Karting, and Dragon Game.

(Yes, I worked out a way to get a US visa debit card - www.simon.com giftaccount)

-- Rod

Last edited by rwhitby; 03/30/2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03/24/2010, 06:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
Awesome work guys! Would love to see JogStats added to the list.
Tell me the output of the following command:

Code:
sqlite3 /var/palm/data/Databases.db .dump | grep -i jog
-- Rod
Old 03/24/2010, 06:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
Dude!!! You guy's ROCK! I really hope this can get worked out!

Also, a programs I would love to see added are:

Brothers in Arms
Don't have it.

Quote:
Shrek Kart
Now supported.

Quote:
Paratroopers
Looks like it uses cookies, which should be automatically restored by your Palm Profile.

Quote:
As for a way to get a credit card into the account, do pre-paid debit/credit cards work in the catalog? I would have no problem getting a prepaid credit card for someone (as long as i would be able to get reimbursed for the card). PM if interested in trying that out
I've been able to get a Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards giftaccount and use that.

-- Rod
Old 03/24/2010, 09:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for adding JogStats!
Volcom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2010, 04:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
Thanks for adding JogStats!
I still need the output of

Code:
sqlite3 /var/palm/data/Databases.db .dump | grep -i jog
to know if it will work.

-- Rod
Old 03/25/2010, 07:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Developer

Save/Restore 0.2.4 is now in the WebOS Internals testing feed, and seems to be functional. Alpha testers are welcome to try it out, but be aware that it has not been tested very much at all, so will probably lose data in some cases.

-- Rod

Last edited by rwhitby; 03/25/2010 at 10:57 PM.
Thanked By: ahitz
Old 03/25/2010, 08:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

Thank You for your work... Keep up the great R&D!

notimeoff
notimeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: skinneejay

Tags
angry birds, save restore

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0