Page 9 of 93 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1848
Like Tree18Likes
  1. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #161  
    After I deleted Preware (keeping Preware Alpha), under "restore Application Data" I see 11 items. "Save Application Data" shows 10.

    I'm guessing that is due to removing Preware.

    Will a restore try to add App data from deleted but backed up programs? If so, that should be fixed.

    Thanks
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    After I deleted Preware (keeping Preware Alpha), under "restore Application Data" I see 11 items. "Save Application Data" shows 10.

    I'm guessing that is due to removing Preware.

    Will a restore try to add App data from deleted but backed up programs? If so, that should be fixed.

    Thanks
    The scripts are designed to make sure the app is installed (by checking for the existence of the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/<appid> directory) before attempting to restore to that directory.

    So it should report an error for that package and continue on with the others.

    Let us know if it does something different for you.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Hold on to the bounty until it's well tested.
    The Paypal address is in my signature for the items that I develop.
    -- Rod
    Ok...I have been testing this out pretty thoroughly and I really like what I see. I have tired a bunch of scenarios to figure out what might break or how this works and here is what I have found out. If anyone is seeing different behavior, let me know and I can retest some of these

    What happens if I _______ since I last saved my "launcher" state
    1. Install a new application:
    Answer: The Application will still show up, but it will be on the bottom of the first launcher, regardless of where you may have moved it to before you selected "Restore"

    2. Move applications around
    Answer: As expected, the icon will revert back to the location that was "saved"

    3. Delete an application
    Answer: The application will be deleted, and no icon will show up

    4. Add a new website icon using the "Add to Launcher" option in the browser
    Answer: Just like #1, The launcher icon will still show up, but it will be on the bottom of the first launcher, regardless of where you may have moved it to before you selected "Restore"

    5. Move an existing website icon that was added using the "Add to Launcher" option in the browser
    Answer: Just like #2, the icon will revert back to the location the was "saved"

    6. Delete an existing website icon that was added using the "Add to Launcher" option in the browser
    Answer: Unfortunately, deleting an website icon will act the same way as deleting an application (per #3)...It's gone. The save/restore will NOT backup these icons if they have been deleted, even though it will keep the launcher position if the icon exists (per #5)

    Note: I tried to see if i could "fool" the restore process to see if I could get back the actual icon picture that was taken by a "save", but it didn't seem to work. This would have been useful if you had to doctor the phone... what I tried to do was:
    a) Add a browser icon
    b) "save" the launcher
    c) create a 2nd icon that is identical to the original in title/website, just used a different icon
    d) delete the original icon
    e) "restore" the laucnher
    -- What I was hoping would happen is that the Launcher would see the icon created in (c), but restore with the original picture that was stored during the save in (b). Alas, it just kept the new icon/picture created in (c) as if it were a new icon (per #4 above), and the icon deleted in (d) was gone

    I still want to test out a few additional scenarios, such as "add contact to launcher" and shortcuts that were created using apps like "dg quick cuts" or "launchpoint", but I haven't had a chance yet. But, even without those, this ROCKS!!!!

    So, as far as I could tell, this is working GREAT!!!! I was worried that installing/deleting apps since the last save might cause problems (i.e. restore an icon for a delete app, but not have the actual app installed), or do other odd things, but it seems to be pretty clean. At thing point, I am more than happy to pay the $10 bounty for restoring icon locations, unless you want to do more testing. We still have an existing $35 bounty ($25 from me, $5 from DDT1345, $5 from gc916) for the restore of the "Add to Launcher" icons that is still up for grabs... anyone?

    Also, one more question: Let's say I doctor my phone. Is there a certain order that the "restore" should work? i.e. should I restore my "Preware" feed first, then go into preware and "install" everything, then go back and restore my saved games and launcher? Or do I just do everything, then go back and re-do the launcher later once everything is fully restored? etc.

    THANKS AGAIN!
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  4.    #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Ok...I have been testing this out pretty thoroughly and I really like what I see. I have tired a bunch of scenarios to figure out what might break or how this works and here is what I have found out. If anyone is seeing different behavior, let me know and I can retest some of these

    What happens if I _______ since I last saved my "launcher" state
    1. Install a new application:
    Answer: The Application will still show up, but it will be on the bottom of the first launcher, regardless of where you may have moved it to before you selected "Restore"

    2. Move applications around
    Answer: As expected, the icon will revert back to the location that was "saved"

    3. Delete an application
    Answer: The application will be deleted, and no icon will show up

    4. Add a new website icon using the "Add to Launcher" option in the browser
    Answer: Just like #1, The launcher icon will still show up, but it will be on the bottom of the first launcher, regardless of where you may have moved it to before you selected "Restore"

    5. Move an existing website icon that was added using the "Add to Launcher" option in the browser
    Answer: Just like #2, the icon will revert back to the location the was "saved"

    6. Delete an existing website icon that was added using the "Add to Launcher" option in the browser
    Answer: Unfortunately, deleting an website icon will act the same way as deleting an application (per #3)...It's gone. The save/restore will NOT backup these icons if they have been deleted, even though it will keep the launcher position if the icon exists (per #5)

    Note: I tried to see if i could "fool" the restore process to see if I could get back the actual icon picture that was taken by a "save", but it didn't seem to work. This would have been useful if you had to doctor the phone... what I tried to do was:
    a) Add a browser icon
    b) "save" the launcher
    c) create a 2nd icon that is identical to the original in title/website, just used a different icon
    d) delete the original icon
    e) "restore" the laucnher
    -- What I was hoping would happen is that the Launcher would see the icon created in (c), but restore with the original picture that was stored during the save in (b). Alas, it just kept the new icon/picture created in (c) as if it were a new icon (per #4 above), and the icon deleted in (d) was gone

    I still want to test out a few additional scenarios, such as "add contact to launcher" and shortcuts that were created using apps like "dg quick cuts" or "launchpoint", but I haven't had a chance yet. But, even without those, this ROCKS!!!!

    So, as far as I could tell, this is working GREAT!!!! I was worried that installing/deleting apps since the last save might cause problems (i.e. restore an icon for a delete app, but not have the actual app installed), or do other odd things, but it seems to be pretty clean. At thing point, I am more than happy to pay the $10 bounty for restoring icon locations, unless you want to do more testing. We still have an existing $35 bounty ($25 from me, $5 from DDT1345, $5 from gc916) for the restore of the "Add to Launcher" icons that is still up for grabs... anyone?

    Also, one more question: Let's say I doctor my phone. Is there a certain order that the "restore" should work? i.e. should I restore my "Preware" feed first, then go into preware and "install" everything, then go back and restore my saved games and launcher? Or do I just do everything, then go back and re-do the launcher later once everything is fully restored? etc.

    THANKS AGAIN!
    Adam
    Thanks for the comprehensive testing - that saves me doing it!

    Please keep the bounty - your assistance in comprehensive testing of the new feature is worth much more than $10.

    As for the restore order, I would install Preware and Save/Restore, then restore the preware saved package list, then reinstall all your apps, then restore the data for all those apps (including the launcher). For some apps you may even need to run them once first.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/01/2010 at 09:59 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #165  
    lesson learned the hard way. I deleted some hidden ipks from my usb drive not knowing what they were. I got ready to restore app data due to a recent trip to the doctor and I kept getting archive not restored. I knew I had backed the information up. I saved one file and the hidden ipk came back to my usb. All I could say was doh. Is there a way to save the files in a folder named save restore so others can't make the same bonehead mistake. I was using Winscp look at my patches file in the media partition and thought they were just orphaned files. Lesson learned glad I ha elso exported most of the info to google docs.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Thanks for the comprehensive testing - that saves me doing it!

    Please keep the bounty - your assistance in comprehensive testing of the new feature is worth much more than $10.

    -- Rod
    Thanks again, but I really would love to contribute to your hard work (even though you told me to hold on to it). But I will give you an option since you are asking for forego the bounty: (1) Accept the bounty and I will paypal you the money, or (2) I will just contribute to the general webos-internals donation link.

    let me know! and still waiting on the "add to launcher" save feature...i really want that!! any luck figuring that out?

    Thanks again
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  7.    #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Thanks again, but I really would love to contribute to your hard work (even though you told me to hold on to it). But I will give you an option since you are asking for forego the bounty: (1) Accept the bounty and I will paypal you the money, or (2) I will just contribute to the general webos-internals donation link.
    Send it to the general donation link so we can use it to buy a second-hand Sprint Pre for one of the other core developers in WebOS Internals to use as a testing device.

    let me know! and still waiting on the "add to launcher" save feature...i really want that!! any luck figuring that out?
    Sorry, I've been a bit preoccupied the last few days with some minor disagreements about kernels

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #168  
    Please add Shopping Manager to the supported list.

    Thanks
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Send it to the general donation link so we can use it to buy a second-hand Sprint Pre for one of the other core developers in WebOS Internals to use as a testing device.

    Sorry, I've been a bit preoccupied the last few days with some minor disagreements about kernels

    -- Rod
    Donation sent! Thanks again for your work!
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  10. #170  
    Has anyone requested Bible Reader KJV? I'd be happy to pay the bounty to get this app in Save/Restore. It has alot of settings like Bookmarks, highlighting, notes, etc. Let me know if you're willing to proceed with it.
    Thanks,
  11. indyjoe's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #171  
    I was looking into this and it doesn't look too terribly difficult. The problem is when you doctor your phone and sign into all your profiles all over again the ID fields are regenerated. This makes it difficult to do the matching all over again.

    I just Dr'd and compared my previous palmdatabase.db3 vs my new one. The key table is the com_palm_pim_person table. Looks to me that the links are build by including the id field from this table on the com_palm_pim_contact.com_palm_pim_Person_id field. This is the link. Whatever contacts you want linked together need to share a common Person_id on the com_palm_pim_contact table.

    That is about as far as I have gotten so far.

    I imagine it would have to be possible to come up with a way to do this. I think I could come up with the necessary queries to attempt this on my phone but I would not have anywhere near the knowledge to package it in a useful way.

    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    This would be really great if it could restore link relationships among contacts.. Thats one of the most time consuming things I have to do when doing a device swap or doctor. I assume this relies on the palmdatabase.db3 file?
  12. #172  
    Are you guys working on adding TimeTracker? There is a free lite version for download. Already had one very catastrophic deletion of data....
    thanks!
  13. #173  
    With Deer Hunter on sale for just 99 cents, I decided to give it a try, but was sad to see it not on the list of apps within Save/Restore. So, let me add a $2 bounty for Deer Hunter.

    P.S. I reserve the right to remove my bounty when the app is no longer on sale for 99 cents
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Could you please add support for "Super Contacts"? It's available for free in the App Catalog. Thanks in advance!
    Count me in! I just sent a donation for SuperContacts+...

    Thanks guys!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

    Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by afresh1 View Post
    Could you add ClassicNote support?
    Classic Note added in 0.7.1, please test and report.

    Quote Originally Posted by mksand28 View Post
    ok its me again this time i went thru my pre and decided to make a list of all the apps i have to see if any of them might fit the criteria for save/restore so i dont have to keep coming back and posting lol so far i got: Mail Lists, Geostrings(possibly), and shopping manager. Thats it
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Please add Shopping Manager to the supported list.

    Thanks
    Mail Lists and Shopping Manager added in 0.7.1, please test and report if the bounty is satisfied.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Could you please add support for "Super Contacts"? It's available for free in the App Catalog. Thanks in advance!
    Super Contacts added in 0.7.1, please test and report.

    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Wow, I have a ton of apps that I would to be supported but I don't know if I have all the bounty money to get them included.
    ...
    PS Once again, what is the link to this bounty payment thing is?
    Epocrates and Family Medical History added in 0.7.1, please test and report if the bounty is satisfied. The bounty link for items that I add is in my signature.

    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Is it possible to add the xbox friends app to this. Would be great to not have to type them all back in after a trip to the dr.
    Thanks
    XboxLive Friends added in 0.7.1, please test and report.

    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Has anyone requested Bible Reader KJV? I'd be happy to pay the bounty to get this app in Save/Restore. It has alot of settings like Bookmarks, highlighting, notes, etc. Let me know if you're willing to proceed with it.
    Thanks,
    Bible Reader KJV added in 0.7.1, please test and report if the bounty is satisfied.

    Quote Originally Posted by awegwert View Post
    Are you guys working on adding TimeTracker? There is a free lite version for download. Already had one very catastrophic deletion of data....
    thanks!
    Time Tracker added in 0.7.1, please test and report is the bounty is satisfied.

    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    With Deer Hunter on sale for just 99 cents, I decided to give it a try, but was sad to see it not on the list of apps within Save/Restore. So, let me add a $2 bounty for Deer Hunter.

    P.S. I reserve the right to remove my bounty when the app is no longer on sale for 99 cents
    Deer Hunter 3D added in 0.7.1, please test and report if the bounty is satisfied.

    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    Count me in! I just sent a donation for SuperContacts+...

    Thanks guys!
    Super Contacts Plus added in 0.7.1, please test and report if the bounty is satisfied.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/12/2010 at 06:29 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16.    #176  
    Save/Restore 0.7.2 with Govnah profiles support is released.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Deer Hunter 3D added in 0.7.1, please test and report if the bounty is satisfied.
    -- Rod
    Looks good, but not complete... I tested this by taking a "save" of my current position. Played some more of the game and got some new points and some new skills. Then did a "restore".

    It restored my current Scores, but some things like "Skills" and "Achievements" within the profile did not restore. I am going to go ahead and DELETE the entire App this time and do a restore and will let you know what I find

    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Deer Hunter 3D added in 0.7.1, please test and report if the bounty is satisfied.
    -- Rod
    Per my earlier posting, this is not complete. The only thing that seemed to have been saved was my current "High Score". After deleting the program and restoring my data, the following things did NOT backup:
    1. Profile Data: Skills, Achievements, Trophy Wall.
    2. Unlocked levels, difficulty and weapons

    So, this basically started me all the way at the beginning, just with my "current score". :-(
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  19. #179  
    Since updating to the new version of Save/Restore, I have not been able to get it to 'save' the button turns to "saving..." but just stays there. did a Luna restart, and same thing. did a full restart, and same thing. It has allways worked for me and worked well. after sittiing that way for a minute or so, the buttons finally start flipping to off, all except fliq notes (archive not saved underneath) and Epocrates, and the button still says 'saving...' Not sure what else to do. LIke I said, this is the first time this has happened.

    *edit*
    restarts, and uninstal/reinstall, etc. have not helped, same deal.
    Last edited by jakelaw; 05/12/2010 at 04:25 PM.
  20. #180  
    Thanks Rod, I'll test out Bible Reader KJV and donate the bounty after testing. Btw, I've also ran into the issue the above user is describing.. it'll get halfway down my list backing up.. and then just stop at saving.. but I've found if I hit the saving... button, it usually will startup again and finish.. sorta odd..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions