2. Loaded Preware via Quick Install
    3. Ran Preware and created Save Package List
    4. Installed Save/Restore via Preware
    5. Moved SaveRestore Directory from PC back to new Pre
    6. Installed all Packages via Preware
    7. Used Save/Restore to Install Settings

Result:
    1. Only brought back 4 of my patches
    2. Launcher settings had correct layout, but page names did not come across and not all icons were in correct page
    3. No Govnah, Uberkernel, and others.

Should erase 'new Pre' and start again? Or has the Palm Profile already been updated so I would have other issues?

So far after 1 day no crashes!

Thoughts and advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Got my replacement for VZW.

Activated new Pre:
    1. Unlocked via Dev Mode
    2. Loaded Preware via Quick Install
    3. Ran Preware and created Save Package List

I think this step is where you went wrong. You didn't need to create a Saved Package List in Preware on the new device; the next step should have been to Install Save/Restore via Preware, then Restore Preware settings from the backup you took on your old device. That would restore your original Saved Package List, which you then open in Preware and Install All Packages.

Also, you need to open all of your applications at least once before using Save/Restore to restore their backups, so that the relevant databases will be created and Save/Restore can restore data to them. If an app only uses Cookies or Files, it won't need to be opened first, but it's generally a good idea to run every app at least once before restoring just to be sure.
    It's also recommended to do a Luna restart (or full restart) after restoring your settings.
    Even if he wrote the Saved Package List before using Save/Restore, restoring with Save/Restore should have overwritten it. I had to get a replacement Pre into shape last week and I wrote the list before Restoring, but the process went fine for me.

What seems strange to me is that you have steps

5. Moved SaveRestore Directory from PC back to new Pre
    6. Installed all Packages via Preware
    7. Used Save/Restore to Install Settings
    You say you moved the directory, did you restore Preware (and the Saved Package List) at this time? This is typically what I do after doctoring/replacing:

1) Leave the phone alone until contacts/email/calendar are synced and apps have all downloaded.
    2) Download and install Preware. (I've been writing my SPL here, but apparently you don't need to do this.)
    3) Download and install Save/Restore.
    4) Open Save/Restore and restore ONLY Preware (so it will write your old saved package list and feeds).
    5) Go to Preware, open your newly rewritten saved package list and let it reinstall all your old patches and homebrew apps.
    6) THEN, go back to Save/Restore and open any apps in the restore list that need to have data restored to them (or the apps won't restore data).
    7) Finally, go ahead and hit the restore all apps button. Since you should now have ALL of your old apps (homebrew + catalog), the launcher should restore to exactly how it was before.
    8) Phone restart.
    A caveat to a couple of things there:

1. The Advanced Launcher patch does not restore the names whatsoever (they names used to restore when it was a separate patch, I guess things are different now). The pages do restore, but the icons are a little random (my icons have a habit of moving on their own anyway, so that may be a problem of the patch, idk).

2. If you have patches that you did not install with Preware, Preware is not going to restore them, so you'll need to stick those in separately. This means that hitting the Install All button on the Saved Package List is going to stall at one of these patches, so I tend to install the patches either one by one or I just delete the ones not in Preware from the list and then install them afterwards from my PC.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    I think I did what you said. I restored Preware from Save/Restore (which i assume restores saved package list. Then went to Preware to intall all packages.

So now I just moved my SaveRestore directory from my PC onto my Pre and am trying to do the above again. I have not erased or reset the new Pre.

Preware is now stuck on Downloading/Installing Free Music Ringtones.

Should I just erase the Pre and start again? Or is their a simpler way to keep going.

Thanks for this great community.

Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Even if he wrote the Saved Package List before using Save/Restore, restoring with Save/Restore should have overwritten it. I had to get a replacement Pre into shape last week and I wrote the list before Restoring, but the process went fine for me.

What seems strange to me is that you have steps

You say you moved the directory, did you restore Preware (and the Saved Package List) at this time? This is typically what I do after doctoring/replacing:

A caveat to a couple of things there:

1. The Advanced Launcher patch does not restore the names whatsoever (they names used to restore when it was a separate patch, I guess things are different now). The pages do restore, but the icons are a little random (my icons have a habit of moving on their own anyway, so that may be a problem of the patch, idk).

2. If you have patches that you did not install with Preware, Preware is not going to restore them, so you'll need to stick those in separately. This means that hitting the Install All button on the Saved Package List is going to stall at one of these patches, so I tend to install the patches either one by one or I just delete the ones not in Preware from the list and then install them afterwards from my PC.
    Deleted Free Music Ringtones from Installed Package List and Ran Preware again to install all packages. This time it seemed to move forward and eventually told me to restart LUNA.

Things look pretty close to where I left off on the old Pre. A couple of the Launcher pages are not in the correct order (two pages labelled Page 4?!?). But most of the patches and Beta Apps are there as far as I can remember.

Now I guess I can use Save/Restore to restore the settings.

I think I did what you said. I restored Preware from Save/Restore (which i assume restores saved package list. Then went to Preware to intall all packages.

So now I just moved my SaveRestore directory from my PC onto my Pre and am trying to do the above again. I have not erased or reset the new Pre.

Should I just erase the Pre and start again? Or is their a simpler way to keep going.

Ok..the reason that is it stuck on FMR is because that app does not exist anymore in the feeds. You need to back-swipe out of the downloads, and in your saved package list, find FMR, swipe it off the screen to delete it from the package list, back-swipe back to your main Preware screen, then go back into the Saved Package list. That should fix it.

Also, for specific steps on using save/restore, check out Backing up your application data/settings with Save/Restore (Homebrew) | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community ... I go into more details there
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Rod --

I think i found out the reason why the some scripts are not running during the Auto-save, especially my /contrib script that creates a ZIP file of the whole directory. It appears as if the auto-save is only running for any script that already has an archive created. I added a few new apps to my phone and noticed they weren't being included in the auto-save. When I manually did a save, they were then included in the auto-save.

So, for now, in order to get the ZIP script to run, create a folder called "org.webosinternals.saverestore" under /saverestore folder, and then copy ANY existing backup .ZIP from any other folder to this. This will trick the app to thinking there is an existing backup and will then run. And don't worry about this when doing a restore, since the script has an if statement that says:
    Code:
     if [ "$1" == "restore" ] ; then
      echo ZIP file is not restored
     fi
    So nothing will get restored
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    FYI... I created a script for Clipboard for webOS. i will get it added to the app in the next few days, but here it is for anyone that wants it
    Attached Files Attached Files

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    FYI... I created a script for Clipboard for webOS. i will get it added to the app in the next few days, but here it is for anyone that wants it
    I've got a stupid question. What does this save? The dev told me clips aren't saved & don't survive a reset. Is that not correct?
    That did the trick. For the benefit of the community who works on this software I compared the Old Pre to the new Pre and here's what I found after restoring correctly:

A few programs did not restore...mostly form the Beta Feeds as as far as I can tell:

Tripkit Beta
    Geocache for WebOS Beta
    BFG Maps Beta
    Simple GPS

But the strangest thing of all is that Mapping Tool became Map Tool on the new device. I think these are two different apps.

Anyway, I learned a lot and pretty happy. And so far no crashes in 36 hours. I lived with a bad PRE for two long. And the keyboard has no errors. A bit softer than the old Pre, but no double clicks or missing letters so far.

Bring on the new hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Ok..the reason that is it stuck on FMR is because that app does not exist anymore in the feeds. You need to back-swipe out of the downloads, and in your saved package list, find FMR, swipe it off the screen to delete it from the package list, back-swipe back to your main Preware screen, then go back into the Saved Package list. That should fix it.

Also, for specific steps on using save/restore, check out Backing up your application data/settings with Save/Restore (Homebrew) | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community ... I go into more details there
    I created scripts for the following apps:
    Code:
    Airplanes
    Airtraffic Lite
    Amigo
    Backgammon
    Bahnfahren
    Beat Box
    Bible Reader
    BibleZ (pro)
    Blink (free)
    Bubbbles
    Bubbles (free)
    Buka (Lite)
    Chess for webOS
    chess.com
    ColorJunction
    DasTelefonbuch
    Dict.cc
    Fall-E (Pro)
    Forums
    Free Klondike Solitaire
    Galcon
    Glow Hockey (free)
    gpsDashboard (free)
    Helicopter 3D
    Hit the dots
    Hyperspace Tournament
    Labyrinth
    Labyrinth Lite
    Leo Dictionary
    Mazer
    Metronome
    Navit
    Nodoze
    Nuclear attack
    Palm Developer Day 2010 Schedule
    Pandablast
    Plasma Cannon
    Plumber's Nightmare (Lite)
    Precentral News (unofficial)
    PreJvm
    Premote 
    Puzzle Paint (Lite)
    Radiant
    Raging Thunder 2
    Relego
    Rhythm News
    Rockus Racer Expansion Pack
    Simple Bible
    Snake
    Solitaire
    Space sheep (lite)
    SuperNES
    SWR3-Elchradio
    Telmap O2 Germany
    Tile Breaker (Lite)
    Titan Stopwatch
    TuneIn by RadioTime
    Virus Defense (Lite)
    VLC Remote (free)
    webOS Blog
    webOS roundup
    Wetter.com
    World Time (Lite)
    YouTube Mini (Free)
    zcorder
    Znax
    Use them at your own risk!
    Last edited by pcworld; 01/29/2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    I created scripts for the following apps:
    Code:
    Airplanes
    Airtraffic Lite
    Amigo
    Backgammon
    Bahnfahren
    Beat Box
    Bible Reader
    BibleZ (pro)
    Blink (free)
    Bubbbles
    Bubbles (free)
    Buka (Lite)
    Chess for webOS
    chess.com
    ColorJunction
    DasTelefonbuch
    Dict.cc
    Fall-E (Pro)
    Forums
    Free Klondike Solitaire
    Galcon
    Glow Hockey (free)
    gpsDashboard (free)
    Helicopter 3D
    Hit the dots
    Hyperspace Tournament
    Labyrinth
    Labyrinth Lite
    Leo Dictionary
    Mazer
    Metronome
    Navit
    Nodoze
    Nuclear attack
    Palm Developer Day 2010 Schedule
    Pandablast
    Plasma Cannon
    Plumber's Nightmare (Lite)
    Precentral News (unofficial)
    PreJvm
    Premote 
    Puzzle Paint (Lite)
    Radiant
    Raging Thunder 2
    Relego
    Rhythm News
    Rockus Racer Expansion Pack
    Simple Bible
    Snake
    Solitaire
    Space sheep (lite)
    SuperNES
    SWR3-Elchradio
    Telmap O2 Germany
    Tile Breaker (Lite)
    Titan Stopwatch
    TuneIn by RadioTime
    Virus Defense (Lite)
    VLC Remote (free)
    webOS Blog
    webOS roundup
    Wetter.com
    World Time (Lite)
    YouTube Mini (Free)
    zcorder
    Znax
    Use them at your own risk!
    WOW!!!! Thats a lot of scripts! Give me a few days to get thru them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I've got a stupid question. What does this save? The dev told me clips aren't saved & don't survive a reset. Is that not correct?
    I confirmed with the dev... the clipboard items stay on there until the user deletes them. so this saves your history!

here is his tweet about it: Twitter

Adam
    Last edited by Audemars02; 02/01/2011 at 02:04 PM.

Like any of my work:
    [QUOTE=Audemars02;2845119]I confirmed with the dev... the clipboard items stay on there until the user deletes them. so this saves your history!

here is his tweet about it: [url=

Ada[/QUOTE]

But the tweet doesn't confirm surviving a reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    But the tweet doesn't confirm surviving a reset.
    I have restarted my phone and it stays. If you reset (i.e. wipe) your phone, those clipboards will of course be wiped, too... That is where the Save/Restore app helps out!

Like any of my work:
    I am trying to write a script for my Poker Session Tracker application.

Once I transfer the script to my palm, I chmod as stated. Then run the sh info command and get the following output:
    Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:/# sh -x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.graf
    lunds.pokersessiontracker
    sh -x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.graf
    lunds.pokersessiontracker
    + APPID=basename $0
    + APPNAME=Poker Session Tracker
    + APPDIR=/usr/palm/applications/basename $0
    + source dirname $0/srf.app.info
    /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.graflunds.pokersessiontracker: sourc
    e: line 1: can't open dirname $0/srf.app.info
    my script is like so:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

APPID='basename $0'
    APPNAME="Poker Session Tracker"
    APPDIR="/usr/palm/applications/$APPID"

source 'dirname $0'/srf.app.info

source 'dirname $0'/srf.app.databases

source 'dirname $0'/srf.app.cookies

exit 0
    app id:
    com.graflunds.pokersessiontracker
    and i have the file saved as such. I am running fromdos before sending to the device.

Any help appreciated, would love to get this backup working before the new wave of devices come out.
    OK,

I got my script figured out, the single quotes were off.

You can find it attached, tested and worked. Please add to the application

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedood View Post
    OK,

I got my script figured out, the single quotes were off.

You can find it attached, tested and worked. Please add to the application

Thanks!
    just about to push a new version with a few updates...I will get your update in within the next couple days

Like any of my work:
    Save/Restore 1.3.3 was just submitted to the testing feed. You should see this shortly in Preware

Updates include:

- Applications: Clipboard for webOS, Carbon Beta (both courtesy of Audemars02)
    - Keep the device awake during scheduled auto-save (courtesy of MetaView)'

There are bunch of scripts still in the forums that need updating. I should be able to get to them in the next day or two. Please let us know if you find any issues with any of the scripts.

NOTE 1: Anyone interested in getting access to the testing feed, follow the instructions here: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals ... Please be sure to add the "-all" testing feed and the feed the relates to your device (pre/pixi/emulator)

NOTE 2: Don't see an app supported in Save/Restore? Request them here! Remember the bounty system that is referenced on the first post. For any paid applications, the "standard rate" is to offer 2x the value of the App.

Like any of my work: