Page 6 of 93 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Make sure you run Preware once before running Save/Restore.

Otherwise, you'll need to get a linux command line on the Pre to debug.

-- Rod
    I got a linux command line ready to go --- now what? (sorry if it's been covered)

[Side note: this is my 4th pre (got it New, in the box) and it seems the screen has two bright blotches at the bottom. The refurb I got yesterday was pixelated.. never had a screen issue with my first two pres - but I'm keeping this one, because I can't handle another return... and maybe it'll get better by itself? anyway.. I feel like something would be wrong with the next one at the rate things are going - and its just a small different in brightness.. long side note, lol]
    something weird is going on.. Sometimes when I run PWa it is showing the saved packages list and sometimes it is not there...

Now - the saved packages list isn't showing up on Alpha at all, but it is showing up on the regular preware.... (btw - I don't have package manager installed but regular preware is working.. is it somehow working off of preware alpha for the feeds??)
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by BAbnkr View Post
    I got a linux command line ready to go --- now what?
    Code:
    dbus-util --capture saverestore
    paste the output as you open Save/Restore and go into Restore and select Preware and hit Restore.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    NVM - I worked around the issue and restored using Preware (i just moved the files from the preware alpha folder to the preware one.) if you'd like me to do anything to debug and figure out why the saved packages list isn;t showing up on preware alpha, let me know....
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by BAbnkr View Post
    NVM - I worked around the issue and restored using Preware (i just moved the files from the preware alpha folder to the preware one.) if you'd like me to do anything to debug and figure out why the saved packages list isn;t showing up on preware alpha, let me know....
    Preware and Preware Alpha are two separate apps, and you would need to have the saved data in the correct directory for each.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    yeah - I had backed up using Preware alpha, so I just moved it to the regular preware folder, because for some reason the saved packages list isn;t showing up in preware alpha (I downloaded both of them fro the test feed, maybe that has something to do with it?)

also - both preware and preware alpha are showing up in the restored saved packages list as uninstalled....
    Rod, how far are you planning on taking this app? Are you planning on having this app backup as many apps as possible, or just certain ones? Because this is truly an amazing app! I just wish I had it sooner; then I wouldn't have lost all of my games saves after the stupid WebOS version 1.4 messed up and I had to Doctor my Pre back from the dead.

And I just sent another donation! I hope it helps. Please keep up the hard work.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    Rod, how far are you planning on taking this app? Are you planning on having this app backup as many apps as possible, or just certain ones? Because this is truly an amazing app! I just wish I had it sooner; then I wouldn't have lost all of my games saves after the stupid WebOS version 1.4 messed up and I had to Doctor my Pre back from the dead.

And I just sent another donation! I hope it helps. Please keep up the hard work.
    Eventually, I hope to have a way where community members such as yourself can start creating the scripts which back up each app, and crowd-source a complete set of apps that everyone uses.

At the moment we're bootstrapping that with a bounty scheme, where someone who wants an app supported can pledge a donation of twice the cost of the app, and any developer can take that up and implement it (and hopefully buy a second app and implement it as well). Any developer is welcome to participate in this.

I even have some ideas about being able to create, test and submit these scripts from inside the app, or for app developers to be able to deliver the script for their app along with the app itself.

-- Rod
    Eventually, I hope to have a way where community members such as yourself can start creating the scripts which back up each app, and crowd-source a complete set of apps that everyone uses.

At the moment we're bootstrapping that with a bounty scheme, where someone who wants an app supported can pledge a donation of twice the cost of the app, and any developer can take that up and implement it (and hopefully buy a second app and implement it as well). Any developer is welcome to participate in this.

I even have some ideas about being able to create, test and submit these scripts from inside the app, or for app developers to be able to deliver the script for their app along with the app itself.

-- Rod
    Without apps like this; my Pre wouldn't be anywhere near as useful as it is right now. I'm really glad your apps, and other apps like it, are here for us to use! So I would like to help out in any way that I can.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    The backing up for the messaging app isn't working for me, I am getting the sms.html and im.html files in the saverestore directory, but other than the headers at the top, they are empty. I know you can't restore from those files, but really all I want to be able to do is quickly look through my messages on my pc and be able to search through them.

I think I have around 300 text messages. I am on webos 1.4.1 on Bell Canada with Save/Restore 0.66 installed. At one point I was using Google Talk on my pre but later removed the account, I tried backing up my messages, both with the GTalk account added and removed and neither way worked. I also don't have any messaging patches/plugins installed. Save/Restore is able to successfully back up my memos, and Preware.

Thanks for the great work you guys have done!
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
    The backing up for the messaging app isn't working for me, I am getting the sms.html and im.html files in the saverestore directory, but other than the headers at the top, they are empty. I know you can't restore from those files, but really all I want to be able to do is quickly look through my messages on my pc and be able to search through them.

I think I have around 300 text messages. I am on webos 1.4.1 on Bell Canada with Save/Restore 0.66 installed. At one point I was using Google Talk on my pre but later removed the account, I tried backing up my messages, both with the GTalk account added and removed and neither way worked. I also don't have any messaging patches/plugins installed. Save/Restore is able to successfully back up my memos, and Preware.

Thanks for the great work you guys have done!
    To debug this, you'll need to have a linux command line on the Pre and know how to type sqlite3 commands.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    To debug this, you'll need to have a linux command line on the Pre and know how to type sqlite3 commands.

-- Rod
    I am familiar enough with linux but not at all with sqlite, I can't afford messing up my Pre now so I'll look into it more later and figure out what's happening.
    Thanks
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
    I am familiar enough with linux but not at all with sqlite, I can't afford messing up my Pre now so I'll look into it more later and figure out what's happening.
    Thanks
    The saverestore script is in /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore, and should be straight-forward to understand if you have shell scripting experience.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod, I'm having the same problem. I'll take a look and report back with a solution.
    Rod:

The com.palm.app.messaging and srf.app.query shell scripts were generating a bad SQL query:

com.palm.app.messaging was:
    Code:
    QUERY="SELECT $FIELDS FROM com_palm_pim_FolderEntry WHERE messageType like \"\$table\""
    com.palm.app.messaging should be:
    Code:
    QUERY="SELECT $FIELDS FROM com_palm_pim_FolderEntry WHERE messageType like \"TABLE\""
    Because...

srf.app.query was:
    Code:
            sqlite3 -html $DATABASE "$QUERY ;" >> $DSTDIR/$table.html || exit 1
    srf.app.query should be:
    Code:
            sqlite3 -html $DATABASE "`echo $QUERY | sed 's/TABLE/'${table}'/g'` ;" >> $DSTDIR/$table.html || exit 1
    The reason is that $table in $QUERY was not being translated, by doing this it properly swaps out the text for a variable. Maybe I am fixing this wrongly, but after much research and attempts to fix it, I know that it didn't work before but it does work now.

Please check my work and put the fix in for everyone else if you can, I don't know how to do that part (or if I even can?).

Thanks for the great software and keeping stuff open source!

--Will
    Hey Rod, I was wondering if this app could be used to swap Game-Saves between people? An example would be, that I had gotten really far into the game Assassin's Creed, but once I Doctored my phone after the WebOS 1.4 update messed everything up; I ended up losing all of my progress in that game. Not to mention all of the progress that I had earned in every other game on my phone at that point in time. But if I could get a game-save from a friend, then I could start from his level; instead of me starting from scratch. I will still love using this app regardless, but it would be nice to have the ability to share our game-saves with friends and family. Just like people do now by sharing their game progress with a friend, by saving their progress onto a memory card.

Also, is there a way to backup the game-saves to a PC; for safer keeping?

I had thought about not buying anymore WebOS games, but now that this app is out; I don't have to worry as much about losing my hard earned game progress. So again, THANKS!!!

17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    Hey Rod, I was wondering if this app could be used to swap Game-Saves between people? An example would be, that I had gotten really far into the game Assassin's Creed, but once I Doctored my phone after the WebOS 1.4 update messed everything up; I ended up losing all of my progress in that game. Not to mention all of the progress that I had earned in every other game on my phone at that point in time. But if I could get a game-save from a friend, then I could start from his level; instead of me starting from scratch. I will still love using this app regardless, but it would be nice to have the ability to share our game-saves with friends and family. Just like people do now by sharing their game progress with a friend, by saving their progress onto a memory card.

Also, is there a way to backup the game-saves to a PC; for safer keeping?

I had thought about not buying anymore WebOS games, but now that this app is out; I don't have to worry as much about losing my hard earned game progress. So again, THANKS!!!
    Save/Restore is specifically designed to enable these use cases. Just copy the files from one USB drive to the same place on the other device. Note that the other device must of course already have a legitimate copy of the application installed and run at least once.

-- Rod
    Save/Restore is specifically designed to enable these use cases. Just copy the files from one USB drive to the same place on the other device. Note that the other device must of course already have a legitimate copy of the application installed and run at least once.

-- Rod
    Very Cool!!! I'm so mega glad that you posted this app! And if there is anyway that I can help out with apps like these, then please feel free to email me through PreCentral. I want to do my part in order to keep The Homebrew community up and running.

i must have done something wrong, when i first installed preware alpha and save/restore i backed everything up i had to unfortunately doctor my phone tonight and all the saved data is gone
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Could you please add support for "Super Contacts"? It's available for free in the App Catalog. Thanks in advance!