Page 47 of 93 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    I don't know anything about running scripts and a lot of other stuff in this thread. I couldn't find my answer via search. It's probably a common question if someone could point me in the right direction...

I backed up everything before getting a replacement pre this week. So now I've got a new phone and my computer has a zipped file (containing /var, /media, /etc and all their subfolders). I downloaded preware and save/restore to the phone again. But of course save/restore on my new phone doesn't know anything about the previous backup's existence - that is, unless the backup itself contains all the information about the backup.

I could install internalz again but I would be amazed if manually attempting to replace all the files/folders is going to work. Unless, of course, the backed up files contain all the information for a Luna restart to basically think it's still the old phone entirely.

The Palm backup worked ok so I have all my "official" apps but none of the preware apps or patches...

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.
  2.    #922  
    Quote Originally Posted by turt View Post
    I don't know anything about running scripts and a lot of other stuff in this thread. I couldn't find my answer via search. It's probably a common question if someone could point me in the right direction...

I backed up everything before getting a replacement pre this week. So now I've got a new phone and my computer has a zipped file (containing /var, /media, /etc and all their subfolders). I downloaded preware and save/restore to the phone again. But of course save/restore on my new phone doesn't know anything about the previous backup's existence - that is, unless the backup itself contains all the information about the backup.

I could install internalz again but I would be amazed if manually attempting to replace all the files/folders is going to work. Unless, of course, the backed up files contain all the information for a Luna restart to basically think it's still the old phone entirely.

The Palm backup worked ok so I have all my "official" apps but none of the preware apps or patches...

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.
    What did you use to back things up?

-- Rod
    My bad. I'm pretty sure I used save/restore. There isn't another program like yours is there? The zip file was automatically named ppbku_2.tar.gz. Is that your naming convention? If so, I just found http://www.precentral.net/saverestore which I think clears it up a lot.

As I mentioned, there are 3 top level directories in the zipped file: var, media, etc. So I'm not sure about step #5 on the web page.

Looks like now my phone is updating to 1.4.5 just to throw another wrinkle in. Hopefully that doesn't mess up anything.
  4.    #924  
    Quote Originally Posted by turt View Post
    My bad. I'm pretty sure I used save/restore. There isn't another program like yours is there? The zip file was automatically named ppbku_2.tar.gz. Is that your naming convention?
    No, that is a different tool, unrelated to Save/Restore, which tries to do a wholesale backup. See the thread related to that tool, cause many people are reporting serious problems if you try and restore using that tool.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    My previous request about zipping the whole save/restore to hide the zips from the palm file browser for apps such as zumo there is another simpler solution. Which allows users to retain the use of the folder and whatnot for the reason(s) brought up about keeping it as a folder. Like with the photo app a period at the beginning of the name hides the contents but the actual directory isn't hidden so it is still seen in the drive when viewing the contents in drive mode. So everything you can do with the way it is now can be done after adding a period to the beginning of the directory name. Save/restore just needs to be modified to include the period in the name of the directory.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  6.    #926  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    My previous request about zipping the whole save/restore to hide the zips from the palm file browser for apps such as zumo there is another simpler solution. Which allows users to retain the use of the folder and whatnot for the reason(s) brought up about keeping it as a folder. Like with the photo app a period at the beginning of the name hides the contents but the actual directory isn't hidden so it is still seen in the drive when viewing the contents in drive mode. So everything you can do with the way it is now can be done after adding a period to the beginning of the directory name. Save/restore just needs to be modified to include the period in the name of the directory.
    Save/Restore specifically has a visible directory in the USB drive so that people can see it when they access the Pre's USB drive. That's not going to change.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Save/Restore specifically has a visible directory in the USB drive so that people can see it when they access the Pre's USB drive. That's not going to change.

-- Rod
    I tested adding the period with internalz and then turned on drive mode the directory wasn't hidden when viewing from my PC. I wouldn't have brought up the alternate idea to the containing it in a zip to reduce the clutter for the palm file browser otherwise. But it did make it so that the file browser which is used by zumo and some other apps didn't show the zip files in the directory.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Can Boxee remote and XBMC remote be added to the supported apps?
    Rod or audemars. I use winscp to place my scripts in the save restore folder but how would one add the script and then give it 0755 access via command line. I know when the next update comes out it will be included (nanplayer) but until then how what can the people do that want to use the script but aren't using winscp? Thanks!
    Internalz can be used to set permissions as well. But the master mode setting may need to be toggled to be able to.
    Thanks but in case someone doesn't have internalz I was wanting to get the command that can be typed in.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Thanks but in case someone doesn't have internalz I was wanting to get the command that can be typed in.
    My bad I thought you were looking for an alternative to running the command line.
    Code:
    chmod ugo+x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/put.name.of.script.here
    Attached is a zip file with the following app scripts:

led torch
    accuradio
    flixster
    convert
    unit wizard
    slacker radio
    trapster
    weather channel
    units
    myq for netflix
    terminal

I have gone through the list of installed apps on my device and made scripts for all the ones I know where to look for the stuff that needs to be backed up. Below is a list of the results of apps that don't have scripts but some of them I think need to be backed up somehow. The stuff with strikethrough probably has nothing to backup. Brackets indicate stuff that should be backed up someway. Parentesis contain brief thought. This list makes up for 45 of the apps installed on my pre. Plus save/restore and mode switcher. The rest all have scripts now that I have made this and the last zip file of scripts.

apps that have no cookies or databases (these are all in the install apps list)

Amazon MP3 [except mp3s downloaded]
    Backgrounds
    Backup
    best $%&* dictionary
    bluetooth [device pairings] (stored somewhere outside of cookies.db and database.db)
    certificate manager
    collect logs
    cro test app
    data transfer
    date & time
    developer mode
    device info
    doc viewer [all docs should be in USB drive]
    filemgr
    help
    location services
    monad
    palm demo
    pdf viewer [all pdfs should be in USB drive]
    phone prefs (may be a part of the com.palm.app.phone database from database.db)
    photos [all photos are in USB drive]
    regional settings
    screen & lock [settings] (stored somewhere outside of cookies.db and database.db)
    sounds and ringtones [settings] (stored somewhere outside of cookies.db and database.db)
    streaming music player
    systoolsmgr
    usb pass through
    videos player
    wifi [network connections] (stored somewhere outside of cookies.db and database.db)

misc have cookies or databases, results in no backup running scripts (save output message in save restore: not installed). Stuff after -- is the info from the cookies.db and databases.db for these.

app catalog (has cookies) -- terms of use accepted
    calculator (has cookie) -- memory
    calendar (has cookies) -- settings patch related?
    camera (has cookies) -- vid player settings, last cap time, cap mode, flash
    clock (has cookies) -- alarms, default theme
    contacts (has cookie) -- first use (contact links don't restore from palm backup)
    email (has database) [accounts]
    first use (has database) -- current state
    phone (has database) -- carrier book
    sprint navigation (has database) (settings, favorites, and recent places don't restore from palm backup)
    updates (has database) [release notes]
    youtube (has cookie and database) (settings and watch history don't restore from palm backup)

may have cookie or database but i don't use these apps to know for sure

music player
    nascar
    sprint football live (and other carrier version[s])
    tasks (palm one)

google maps (in database.db fields of note: http_maps.google.com, client storage, preference and data. Not listed by app ID like other apps)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Rod, I'm having an odd problem with Save/Restore (ver 1.0.0). I have used it to save and restore in the past. Today I had to Doctor my Sprint Pre. I reinstalled Save/Restore, but it will neither restore settings now nor save settings. The program does see the settings saved prior to Doctoring the Pre. I get errors for any program I try to save or restore. I am attaching, as an example, the error I get trying to restore the Launcher. All the errors are very similar. THe line numbers are sometimes different. Any idea what's going on?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by delao13 View Post
    Rod, I'm having an odd problem with Save/Restore (ver 1.0.0). I have used it to save and restore in the past. Today I had to Doctor my Sprint Pre. I reinstalled Save/Restore, but it will neither restore settings now nor save settings. The program does see the settings saved prior to Doctoring the Pre. I get errors for any program I try to save or restore. I am attaching, as an example, the error I get trying to restore the Launcher. All the errors are very similar. THe line numbers are sometimes different. Any idea what's going on?
    Did you use webOS Quick Install to install Save/Restore? try uninstalling it and use Preware to reinstall Save/Restore. webOS QI does not install the zip and unzip apps that are needed for S/R to work
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I tested adding the period with internalz and then turned on drive mode the directory wasn't hidden when viewing from my PC.
    For Windows, that's true. But on Linux, Mac OS X, and other UNIX-derivatives (including webOS, which is why this works in the first place), prepending a period makes a file or directory invisible.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    That was the problem, Audemars02. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakat Silverstreak View Post
    For Windows, that's true. But on Linux, Mac OS X, and other UNIX-derivatives (including webOS, which is why this works in the first place), prepending a period makes a file or directory invisible.
    I wasn't aware of this. I thought the period before the name was a custom thing for webos that made the directories work around for the photo app etc only. So back to my original idea of zipping the save/restore folder. I think I'll just customize the zip script to zip the save/restore folder and delete it after. This way it just makes a fresh save/restore folder for each running of the app. That way no modification has to be made to save/restore since I'm probably in the minority on wanting to hide the zips inside the directory from the file picker.
    Save/Restore 1.0.1 should be in the testing feed shortly (can take some time before it shows up, possibly even a few hours!). This was a HUGE update, including the following

- Added support for a new "Preferences" type of backups. First application to support this new method: Mode Switcher
    - Applications: Quit Smoking Tracker (courtesy of Chakat Silverstreak), NaNPlayer (courtesy of mamouton)
    - Applications: TealSpeed, Brothers In Arms 2, YP Mobile (all courtesy of djgardn2)
    - Applications: My DataBank Unlimited, Movie Diary (courtesy of pip smith)
    - Now saves Wifi Profiles (i.e. listing of all wifi networks, including passwords). Applications: YouView (without mp3s), Facebook, Facebook Beta, Cronk, Internalz, ZumoDrive, Switcharoo Free, Wallpaper Switcharoo, Brightness Unlinked, WiFi Media Sync, Quick Event, LaunchPoint Speed Dial (courtesy of Audemars02)
    - Applications: Spades, DZ.Tanks, foursquare, Geocaching for webOS BETA, Speed Brain, Pandora, Card Ace, Card Ace: Blackjack, Word Ace, WHERE, Bible (Youversion), Solitaire Collection (minego), Solitaire Collection Beta (minego), LED torch, AccuRadio, Flixster, Convert, Unit Wizard, Slacker Radio, Trapster, Weather Channel, Units, MyQ for Netflix, Terminal (all courtesy of StoneRyno)'
    - There is also one additional Easter Egg in this release. Let's see if anyone can find it. I will write in the next day or so what it is, with directions on how to use it! :-)

Please test the above scripts and let us know what you find.

NOTE 1: Anyone interested in getting access to the testing feed, follow the instructions here: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

NOTE 2: Don't see an app supported in Save/Restore? Request them here! Remember the bounty system that is referenced on the first post. For any paid applications, the "standard rate" is to offer 2x the value of the App.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    I don't know if I should make a new thread, but if anyone has a Save/Restore of N.O.V.A. that has half/all the levels beaten, I'd like that. I had it almost beaten then the Save/Restore file got corrupted and I had to start all over(again), and yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.