Page 46 of 93 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849505156 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The first option is not scaleable, as any new app that creates launchpoints could put the icons in any directory. We can't keep adding random directories to the standard launcher script.

-- Rod
    Here is the script to support LaunchPoints. This will only actually save the pictures for the launchpoint icons, as the Launcher script saves the actual icons and logic
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Hey Rod...got an App issue for you. as you know, i have a LOT of things that are backed up when I call the Launcher script, including Browser Icons to LaunchPoints. needless to say, I have quite of a few of these. So, my issues comes when scrolling in a long list, because it "hiccups" on me, where it won't let me scroll through the entire list and goes back to an earlier part. I took a quick video of the issue, where you can see I start just below the saved Launcher script area, and as it scrolls up, it transports me back to the apps that start with "T". I repeat it from there and it gets the same results

Click on the picture to get linked to the video

I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Thank you so much! How do I donate?
    Quote Originally Posted by littledutch View Post
    Thank you so much! How do I donate?
    If you want to donate to webOS-Internals (the creator and maintainer of the actual app), go to the first post in this thread and click on the donate link in Rod's signature

if you want to donate or pay a bounty to a specific script-writer for creating a script, then ask that person for a donate link or email address

Like any of my work:
    I just got an idea... currently there is the script posted to zip everything up after all the other scripts run. But I'm thinking since save/restore zips the individual apps why not go one step farther and use that same process to have the saverestore directory be a zip file instead. And perhaps even have just one zip/unzip action rather than once for each app. This way not only would it be simple to copy over via USB or to a cloud service (dropbox, zumo) or wifi media sync or other direct to pc by wifi. The palm file browser won't see dozens even 100s of zips of each app as the supported apps count gets bigger.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I just got an idea... currently there is the script posted to zip everything up after all the other scripts run. But I'm thinking since save/restore zips the individual apps why not go one step farther and use that same process to have the saverestore directory be a zip file instead. And perhaps even have just one zip/unzip action rather than once for each app. This way not only would it be simple to copy over via USB or to a cloud service (dropbox, zumo) or wifi media sync or other direct to pc by wifi. The palm file browser won't see dozens even 100s of zips of each app as the supported apps count gets bigger.
    My only issue with having just a single ZIP for the whole directory is that is becomes a bit more complex when you only want to save or restore a single app. i.e. if i want to copy over the saverestore data from a PC to the phone, but change it just for a single app, you are now asking the entire userbase to know how to unzip the full save/restore file, change the saverestore data for that one app, reZIP the directory and then copy that back to the device. i think that may be too much for everyone.

also, when using a cloud service like zumo or others, you should be able to "type to search" so you can just type in "saverestore" to get a list of the zip files that start with saverestore to upload. (but if i remember correctly, you have not been able to get that to work, right? any luck fixing that?)

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    My only issue with having just a single ZIP for the whole directory is that is becomes a bit more complex when you only want to save or restore a single app. i.e. if i want to copy over the saverestore data from a PC to the phone, but change it just for a single app, you are now asking the entire userbase to know how to unzip the full save/restore file, change the saverestore data for that one app, reZIP the directory and then copy that back to the device. i think that may be too much for everyone.

also, when using a cloud service like zumo or others, you should be able to "type to search" so you can just type in "saverestore" to get a list of the zip files that start with saverestore to upload. (but if i remember correctly, you have not been able to get that to work, right? any luck fixing that?)
    Currently save/restore accesses and extracts data for the restore process from individual zip files in the directory structure how would it be any different if instead of individual zip files it extracted an individual app from a single zip? Seems to me this would be more efficient in the long run as more and more apps get added. There is no reason a user would need to manually access a single apps backup is there? save/restore handles everything for us the only time we interact with the backups is to copy the whole thing off the device for an extra measure of just in case.

I understand that in zumo you can search but the reason for the single zip vs dozens or hundreds of zips is not for ease of locating stuff but for reducing clutter when you may not know the name or part of a name for a file. In a case such as that having hundreds of zips from save/restore will be very annoying to have in the list for any app that uses the file browser. I am not counting on palm changing the file browser to be like an explorer and show directory structure instead of scan for all files and list them.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    A few comments and some praise:

I decided to doctor instead of doing the OTA update since I had a lot of "crap" left over on my phone, such as MyTether, that I wanted off. I must say that the experience, although it took a long time to get everything back to exactly the way I had it, was extremely easy. The ONLY reason it was easy was due to the hard work of the guys at WebOS Internals as well as guys like Adam who are working hard wriiting awesome programs and scripts to make the use of the Pre a much better experience.

Without WebOS Internals and other homebrew contributors, I would not be using this phone anymore. Period.

I sincere thank you for all of your hard, volunteer work. Donations on the way soon.

Some minor hiccups to feedback on the Save/Restore process:
    1. Another user mentioned this, but I'll reiterate that we could use a Pandora script for login info, very very minor, but would be a nice addition.
    2. I noticed some of my preferences were not saved, for example, in the "Screen & Lock" app, the "Advanced Gestures/Switch Applications" was set to OFF, when I previously had it ON. I don't think anyone wrote a script to save that info, again very minor, but would be a nice addition.
    3. Preware, while reinstalling my Saved Package List, barfed on apps that I had installed via WOSQI, such as MobileHotSpot. It also barfed on UberKernel because it was the old 1.4.1 version. After adding the testing feeds via WebOS Internals site's instructions, everything was fine.
    4. All of my icons and Launchpoints came back in the original positions on their original pages (awesome work Adam). However, it seems that after the restore, I get the dreaded "Unknown" SMS error that some people are plauged with with this application. I'm not sure if it's related the restore process, but I'll feed that back to the app developer.

Again, a hearty thanks to all the people that volunteer their time to make the Pre a fun experience.

Kevin
    DDT1345
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    A few comments and some praise:

I decided to doctor instead of doing the OTA update since I had a lot of "crap" left over on my phone, such as MyTether, that I wanted off. I must say that the experience, although it took a long time to get everything back to exactly the way I had it, was extremely easy. The ONLY reason it was easy was due to the hard work of the guys at WebOS Internals as well as guys like Adam who are working hard wriiting awesome programs and scripts to make the use of the Pre a much better experience.

Without WebOS Internals and other homebrew contributors, I would not be using this phone anymore. Period.

I sincere thank you for all of your hard, volunteer work. Donations on the way soon.

Some minor hiccups to feedback on the Save/Restore process:
    1. Another user mentioned this, but I'll reiterate that we could use a Pandora script for login info, very very minor, but would be a nice addition.
    2. I noticed some of my preferences were not saved, for example, in the "Screen & Lock" app, the "Advanced Gestures/Switch Applications" was set to OFF, when I previously had it ON. I don't think anyone wrote a script to save that info, again very minor, but would be a nice addition.
    3. Preware, while reinstalling my Saved Package List, barfed on apps that I had installed via WOSQI, such as MobileHotSpot. It also barfed on UberKernel because it was the old 1.4.1 version. After adding the testing feeds via WebOS Internals site's instructions, everything was fine.
    4. All of my icons and Launchpoints came back in the original positions on their original pages (awesome work Adam). However, it seems that after the restore, I get the dreaded "Unknown" SMS error that some people are plauged with with this application. I'm not sure if it's related the restore process, but I'll feed that back to the app developer.

Again, a hearty thanks to all the people that volunteer their time to make the Pre a fun experience.

Kevin
    DDT1345
    Thanks for the great feedback! I also just went thru a full Doctoring and while it took about 4-5 hours in total, most of that time was sitting around and waiting while things like Preware and Saverestore did their magic!! I will take a look at Pandora and Screen & Lock, but...

I will need to defer to Rod on those apps that weren't in the feeds. I had to remove them from the save package list and try to then "install all" for those to work, too. (actually, that should be posted on the Preware page, not here, right! )

anyway, thanks again for the great words.. and did you ever actually send over that launcher icon bounty you promised?

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    anyway, thanks again for the great words.. and did you ever actually send over that launcher icon bounty you promised?
    Adam,

Yes, I did sent it, back on July 18th. I hope you got it, because PayPal charged me for it!

I got another $5 going your way as just a thanks, but I'm really busy at work right now. I'll do it when I get home.

I'll be sending $10 WebOS Internals way also.

Thanks again,

Kevin
    DDT1345
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    Adam,

Yes, I did sent it, back on July 18th. I hope you got it, because PayPal charged me for it!

I got another $5 going your way as just a thanks, but I'm really busy at work right now. I'll do it when I get home.

I'll be sending $10 WebOS Internals way also.

Thanks again,

Kevin
    DDT1345
    OOPS..you did. PayPal never sent me an email. will need to check my settings!

Thanks again, and glad to help! And glad you aren't forgetting webOS Internals since Rod and the team are the real geniuses behind these apps! :-)

Like any of my work:
    I searched this thread for calendar and did not really get a clear answer, so here goes:

Is it possible to save some aspects of the calendar? I ask this because there are a couple of apps (Fandango, Gamecenter for me) that allow you to save things like appointments and upcoming releases of games and movies. These apps make their own calendars, they don't add them to the default calendar. Since these calendars don't really sync with anything, if you do a wipe, they disappear. I guess this is in part a deficiently of the programs and I should just move the items it saves over to a calendar that syncs, but just thought I would ask.

Edit: Also, does anyone have Tangrams or Tilt Origami or is interested in putting up the bounty for these programs?
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I searched this thread for calendar and did not really get a clear answer, so here goes:

Is it possible to save some aspects of the calendar? I ask this because there are a couple of apps (Fandango, Gamecenter for me) that allow you to save things like appointments and upcoming releases of games and movies. These apps make their own calendars, they don't add them to the default calendar. Since these calendars don't really sync with anything, if you do a wipe, they disappear. I guess this is in part a deficiently of the programs and I should just move the items it saves over to a calendar that syncs, but just thought I would ask.
    The reason there is no restore for Calendar is the same reason we dont have a restore for TXT messages or Contacts or Memos...they are built into the database structure of the PalmDatabase file and it's not a good idea to go messing with that table because you can end up causing lots of issues. However, you do have one manual option. Every time you create one of these events, you can go into the Calendar Entry itself, and then click on the "account" name on the top right of the screen (e.g. Google, Quick Event, Palm, etc) and choose a different account. This will now move that event to the other calendar, which you should have backed up via Palm Profile or Google Calendar, etc.

does this help?

Like any of my work:
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I knew there was that issue there, but I wasn't sure if individual calendars like those were in that file, too. Thanks!
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
  15.    #915  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I knew there was that issue there, but I wasn't sure if individual calendars like those were in that file, too. Thanks!
    They are, but I might take a look at that special case, cause it's possible that those additional non-synergy calendars are not as tightly intertwined with everything else.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Attached is a zip with the following app scripts. Please test these and make sure they indeed backup things for these apps. I have not used any of the apps only have them installed. Well with the exception of pandora and internals. Internals is probably just settings. The remaining I'm not sure what all needs to be backed up and what actually gets backed up. Most of them show up in both cookies and database dbs.

Internalz
    WiFi Media Sync
    Spades (not sure if there are files to be saved to)
    DZ.Tanks (not sure if there are files to be saved to)
    foursquare
    Geocaching for webOS BETA
    Speed Brain
    Pandora
    Card Ace
    Card Ace: Blackjack
    Word Ace
    WHERE
    Bible (youversion)
    Solitaire Collection (minego)
    Solitaire Collection Beta (minego)

Even after adding these I still show 115 installed apps with only 51 of those supported I got to figure out what those are and see if any of them need to be supported. These were as a result of comparing my installed packages in preware to save/restore save list.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I was going back through last few pages and realized a couple of those Audermars02 already covered in post #827. I'm trying to make a script for visualboy advance here is what I got:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

APPID=`basename $0`
    APPNAME="VisualBoy Advance"

source `dirname $0`/srf.app.info

SRCDIR="$APPDIR/sav"
    FILES="*"

source `dirname $0`/srf.app.files

exit 0
    the output to the list item in save restore shows the proper path. The end of the statement is: org.webos-internals.visualboyadvance/sav/Open not found

any ideas where I went wrong? I tossed two png files and a pdf in there to test it.
    I was going back through last few pages and realized a couple of those Audermars02 already covered in post #827. I'm trying to make a script for visualboy advance here is what I got:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

APPID=`basename $0`
    APPNAME="VisualBoy Advance"

source `dirname $0`/srf.app.info

SRCDIR="$APPDIR/sav"
    FILES="*"

source `dirname $0`/srf.app.files

exit 0
    the output to the list item in save restore shows the proper path. The end of the statement is: org.webos-internals.visualboyadvance/sav/Open not found

any ideas where I went wrong? I tossed two png files and a pdf in there to test it.
    Hi, is there a way to run this from Terminal as my touchscreen has gone bad and I'd like to be able to save it before I start using my new phone. Thanks.
  20.    #920  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3n1media View Post
    Hi, is there a way to run this from Terminal as my touchscreen has gone bad and I'd like to be able to save it before I start using my new phone. Thanks.
    You can run each of the scripts manually as described in earlier posts.

-- Rod