Page 44 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #861  
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    This is a request for the developers, can you either mention in the description that Zip and UnZip are required for recovery or as them as dependencies in the installer? I figured this out myself after I kept getting errors. Once I installed them, I was able to recover my settings. Thanks so much for this awesome app.
    Always use Preware to install and uninstall homebrew applications. Other installers do not automatically follow package dependencies.

-- Rod
    I just Submitted My first Script for the TealSpeed app. I would have posted the attachment of the ZIP file but I don't seem to have enough posts to do so. Hopefully it will be posted soon; pm me if you would like to post the ZIP sooner.
    if you are over ten posts you can upload the file. The upload button is way on the left so you have to scroll over quite a bit to see it.
    I just Submitted My first Script for the TealSpeed app.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by djgardn2; 08/07/2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Not to speak for the devs but this might clear up what you are asking/requesting.
    The instructions for installing save/restore and using it as a back up clearly state that you should only use Preware to install it. If these instructions are followed correctly then you will not run into the problems that you have faced.
    See Application:SaveRestore - WebOS Internals for primary reference.

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Always use Preware to install and uninstall homebrew applications. Other installers do not automatically follow package dependencies.

-- Rod
    I honestly don't remember whether I used WOSQI or PreWare to install it.

Thanks for the heads up. The app works great so far. It restored drPodder beautifully which was the most important thing for me.
    Well i get to put save/restore to the full blown worse case scenario test. I got hit with the dreaded you are no longer signed into your profile. But what I mean by full blown worse case is this: I need help to identify based on the contents inside the zips what apps they belong to and then properly naming the zips and directory structure to be able to restore the stuff with save/restore. The reason for this is because as a result of the process of recovering from the no longer signed into your profile my USB portion got wiped. I couldn't access the device in USB, when I got the message, to copy the data in USB drive mode to my pc. However I used a recovery app to recover as much files as possible I have almost 1000 zip files from that recovery to look inside to try and identify the apps they were backups for.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Well i get to put save/restore to the full blown worse case scenario test. I got hit with the dreaded you are no longer signed into your profile. But what I mean by full blown worse case is this: I need help to identify based on the contents inside the zips what apps they belong to and then properly naming the zips and directory structure to be able to restore the stuff with save/restore. The reason for this is because as a result of the process of recovering from the no longer signed into your profile my USB portion got wiped. I couldn't access the device in USB, when I got the message, to copy the data in USB drive mode to my pc. However I used a recovery app to recover as much files as possible I have almost 1000 zip files from that recovery to look inside to try and identify the apps they were backups for.
    Sorry to hear this StonyRyno. Palm has been aware of this issue for weeks (it seems like). Why can't they fix this???

Do you not have a recent USB backup you can revert to (even a few weeks old???) It seems better than recovering they way you mention??
  8.    #868  
    Would it help if there was a MANIFEST file in each zip file which recorded the app id, the webOS version, the backup time, etc?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Here is the Script for "Brothers in Arms 2" if you would like to add it to Preware. This is my second Script I submitted one before a couple posts back (#867 TealSpeed).

Take care Hope to see them added... you can include my screenname in the updated description in preware if you would like, Thx.

You all do Amazing work...
    In light of my experience (a little detail below the rest of the story is in my other recent posts elsewhere), I was thinking is it possible to make the script that zips the save restore folder or a separate script zip the whole USB portion minus .palm, .sysservice, .temp, .wallpaper, and .app-storage (I assume zipping it pointless as individual scripts should have all this covered). However the remaining directories and files would vary user to user in /media/internal/.

Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Sorry to hear this StonyRyno. Palm has been aware of this issue for weeks (it seems like). Why can't they fix this???

Do you not have a recent USB backup you can revert to (even a few weeks old???) It seems better than recovering they way you mention??
    This was something I was going to start. I had installed zumodrive and was confused on how to copy the saverestore stuff. I had thought it worked like the pc and you could copy whole folders etc over to a directory. But anyways turns out it doesn't work that way. Audemars02 was explaining stuff to me in reply to my PMs and so I was going to add that script that zipped everything up to my device for easy copy to zumodrive. I got side tracked by looking up more info on a podcast I was listening to talking about apps and I went to download the app which ultimately led to the you are no longer logged in occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Would it help if there was a MANIFEST file in each zip file which recorded the app id, the webOS version, the backup time, etc?

-- Rod
    In the event someone had to recover the files because they were deleted or wiped that would help. But then would the average user go through the painstaking process I'm undertaking to get all their data back? It would help the process I'm going through. And I'm guessing adding that would only be useful for this specific kind of situation. What do you think would that be something worth adding? Would it have other use cases? I never in my worst nightmares thought I would be doing what I am right now.

I've been looking inside zip files and identifying the ones I can for going on 6 hours and I still have about 500 more to go. There is no pattern to them. They were sequentially numbered I assume by some sort of file system process rather than their original names. And they date back to probably as long as I have been using save/restore. And because they are in no particular order I have to open them all to find the most recent backup for each app/script. I think about half of them one file inside the zip made it clear what app it belonged to. The file timestamps in the zip appear to be the time of the backup. but there are some that simply are just cookies.sql. Which I will have to view the insides of the files to determine which app they belong to. A few others are .dat files that likely belong to more than one app. I'm not sure how I'm going to identify which they belong to unless the .dat is simply plain text and not encoded data. It's going to take me another 6 hours to go through the rest of the zips before I have to worry about that.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 08/09/2010 at 01:09 AM.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I've completed going through all of the zip files and just need to know how to name the directories and zip files so that when I install preware to install save/restore I can restore all the data.
    Quote Originally Posted by djgardn2 View Post
    I just Submitted My first Script for the TealSpeed app.
    Looks good..one quick comment: can you please add an extra "hard return" at the end of the last line ("exit 0") in the future. I added it for this script, but would ask for it going forward

thanks
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    I've completed going through all of the zip files and just need to know how to name the directories and zip files so that when I install preware to install save/restore I can restore all the data.
    You can always try to do a "save" from save/restore to recreate the directories, and then just replace those new files with your old (and recovered) ZIP files. that would seem to be the easiest method of fixing this, right?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Reply to Audemars02

Okay, I was wondering about that and was a little unsure, Thanks. Also here is the "Brothers in Arms 2 " Zip file resubmitted with the hard exit added.

Great instructions I found them exteremely useful even though it still took me about 6 hours of reading and downloading material

Thanks again and would love to see them both added to Preware if you would like and you can put my name in description if you would like also.

Take care
    A little question side note for anyone wanting to look into or give any suggestions on how to save/restore the homebrew app Called "Contacts Plus". I looked into everything from all the files, cookies, and databases. I would only find cookies and databases without any changing files anywhere but when I run a restore it wont bring back any data stored?

I was guessing the app might use query as a way of saving but I don't know how to track that down?

No biggy at all for me, I don't use it but a friend of mine does so I figured I would give it a try so I could add it to the list.

Any pointers or suggestions are welcome and I will look into it or if anyone else wanted to jump on it feel free.
    if it's Homebrew, I will take a look to see what i can find...

but are you trying to do a Luna Restart right a restore. Cookies often do not show up directly after a restore and a restart is necessary.. try that and let me know

Like any of my work:
    Yes, I tried to restart my phone on a hard reset but not a luna restart, I will check it out in about an hour when I get back to my computer... I will update my post once I try , thx

Edit:

From What I know its not working correctly(saves/restores no problem but items are not there like they should) but possibly testing on another phone may have different results with a fresh install?

Didn't attach the Script correctly now its in the Zip folder...

Not Working....Removed Zip File
    Last edited by djgardn2; 08/10/2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by djgardn2 View Post
    Yes, I tried to restart my phone on a hard reset but not a luna restart, I will check it out in about an hour when I get back to my computer... I will update my post once I try , thx

Edit:

From What I know its not working correctly(saves/restores no problem but items are not there like they should) but possibly testing on another phone may have different results with a fresh install?

Didn't attach the Script correctly now its in the Zip folder...

Not Working....
    OK... i have figured out what is going on. basically, we have the same problem as we had with Mail List. Contact Plus actually saves data in THREE places:
    1) Cookies
    2) Databases
    3) Contacts

We can back up #1 and #2, but since the app actually creates a new Contact Account (as you can see by opening up your Contact List in webOS and selecting Preferences), there is no good way that Rod and the team have figured out about how to handle writing to the contacts table. So, as far as I know, I am not sure what we can do.

Rod -- Is there a way to a "save only" query on the contacts tables to at least back up these contacts, even if we can't restore?

Like any of my work:
    Reply to Audemars02

If you figure a method that works that would be great.

Thanks and I am happy to look into any other free apps of any sort to figure out and add to the list in the near future if you have any suggestions.

Also please let me know if I should remove the Zip file for the "Contacts Plus" from my previous post in the forum since it is not working? (just incase )

Edit: Thx Just sent this message before I saw your Response...

Yeah, I never even noticed it added a new name to my actual contacts list. Nice to know though Thanks.
    Last edited by djgardn2; 08/09/2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    You can always try to do a "save" from save/restore to recreate the directories, and then just replace those new files with your old (and recovered) ZIP files. that would seem to be the easiest method of fixing this, right?
    Good call. I was so tired by the time I posted I wasn't thinking clearly. Not sure how long it will take me to identify the zips of the ones I'm not sure what apps they belong to. Some of them the cookies.sql I can view the contents to figure them out but a number of them just have .dat files and I'm not sure if there is plain text in them or just raw data like binaries. I think over 20 of the 37 I have identified based on the name of the app identified in the name of a file in the zip.