Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #841  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    okie dokie pokie.

Well I copied the entire Save/Restore folder over to my desktop, then put it back on my new phone. I have 20 available apps to restore, and only those that I listed were affected.

Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling in Preware?
    At this point, if the .zip files are unreadable in both Windows and on the device, then I'm afraid that they have been corrupted either when the initial save was done or in the transfer to the Windows PC. Nothing you do on the device will change that now.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    At this point, if the .zip files are unreadable in both Windows and on the device, then I'm afraid that they have been corrupted either when the initial save was done or in the transfer to the Windows PC. Nothing you do on the device will change that now.

-- Rod
    Alright. I mean I've done nothing different between any of the apps that are saved, so I don't know what would've caused it. But whatever yo.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  3.    #843  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    But whatever yo.
    Is that an expression of endearment, derision, or just indifference?

-- Rod (from Australia, so unaware of the cultural tonalities of that expression)
    Is that an expression of endearment, derision, or just indifference?

-- Rod (from Australia, so unaware of the cultural tonalities of that expression)
    Derision and indifference. I don't want to have to do all that **** in N.O.V.A. again and I definitely don't want to reinstall all those packages. Oh well.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I've installed save/restore multiple times through Preware. My options on the first screen are always grayed out. I have zip and unzip installed. Its a Sprint Pre running 1.4.1.1. Not sure what other information you need to help diagnose the problem. Thanks for any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by tainvst View Post
    I've installed save/restore multiple times through Preware. My options on the first screen are always grayed out. I have zip and unzip installed. Its a Sprint Pre running 1.4.1.1. Not sure what other information you need to help diagnose the problem. Thanks for any help?
    What version of save/restore is installed?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Just wondering...

Is automated / scheduled backup on the feature roadmap? If not, how much effort would it be to add a launch switch so that Mode Switcher could be the scheduler and run S/R when a particular mode triggers (like nightstand mode) with a switch="-Saveall" or something like that? Anyone else interested?

After that, we still have the issue of backing up the S/R folder from /media/internal/ to some location off the WebOS device.... maybe a job for a future iteration of WifiMediaSync once it gets the ability to offload entire folders to the PC wirelessly....

Slowly working our way towards some automated emergency backup plan that worked so well for years and years with the Treos via NVBackup freeware (among other solutions).
  8.    #848  
    Automated backup and launch parameter controlled backup are both on the roadmap and simply waiting for a mojo developer to step forward and volunteer to do it.

It's open source, someone just needs to clone the git repo and send us a merge request ...

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Just wondering...

Is automated / scheduled backup on the feature roadmap? If not, how much effort would it be to add a launch switch so that Mode Switcher could be the scheduler and run S/R when a particular mode triggers (like nightstand mode) with a switch="-Saveall" or something like that? Anyone else interested?

After that, we still have the issue of backing up the S/R folder from /media/internal/ to some location off the WebOS device.... maybe a job for a future iteration of WifiMediaSync once it gets the ability to offload entire folders to the PC wirelessly....

Slowly working our way towards some automated emergency backup plan that worked so well for years and years with the Treos via NVBackup freeware (among other solutions).
    if you go back a number of pages, you can find a script I wrote and posted to create a single SaveRestore-XXX.zip file of the entire saverestore directory. This way, you can use wifi media sync or zumodrive or whatever to easily upload off the device. You have to manually install the script, but that is also mentioned throughout the thread on how to do
    Automated backup and launch parameter controlled backup are both on the roadmap and simply waiting for a mojo developer to step forward and volunteer to do it.

It's open source, someone just needs to clone the git repo and send us a merge request ...

-- Rod
    Believe me. I wish that was me. Maybe someday I can get back to some basic coding -- but my last coding efforts (outside of some simple VBVBVB $for$ $access$ $and$ $Excel$) $were$ $for$ $my$ $Freshman$ $year$ $FORTRAN$ $class$ $in$ $fall$ $of$ $1990$ $at$ $Michigan$. $Until$ $then$, $I$'$ll$ $try$ $to$ $be$ $a$ $good$ $Alpha$ / $Beta$ $tester$, $financially$ $supportive$, $and$ $generally$ $as$ $positive$ $and$ $helpful$ $around$ $here$ $as$ $much$ $as$ $I$ $can$ $be$.

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    if you go back a number of pages, you can find a script I wrote and posted to create a single SaveRestore-XXX.zip file of the entire saverestore directory. This way, you can use wifi media sync or zumodrive or whatever to easily upload off the device. You have to manually install the script, but that is also mentioned throughout the thread on how to do
    Thanks Audemars02 -- I've mostly been a pretty religious follower of certain threads (including this one) for the last 6 months, but I had a 2 or 3 week period over the last month or so where I had to drop my coverage. Must have missed this, because if I had seen it, I'd have been all over it.
    For anyone else who totally missed this (as I did), the initial discussion of this topic seems to start around post #708 in this thread. I haven't read everything yet, but it also looks like Audemars02 extended his initial concept with later scripts to include a few other key webos files.... so it's probably worth reading down several pages before you decide which one is best for you!!! Thanks a bunch Audemars02!!!

Man, you take 2 weeks off from thread following and miss huge improvements / changes like this!!! No wonder my wife accuses me of being addicted to my Pre mistress and her evil twin sister PreCentral all the time. I have to be, or I'll miss a great fix like this.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW -- There's also a very interesting script at Post 534 that I hadn't seen (to backup PalmDatabase.db3 among other key OS files...) Again, I'd suggest reading 534 and then 708-current for those who want to get up to date on these... Final Further review: 708 has the "Zip all S/R folders" script and 534, 740, & 752 have incremental improvements of the "Other Key OS files" backup. Neither of these scripts allows for restore, but rather provides an easy way to get these key files uploaded to off-device (even cloud based) storage.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 08/06/2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Hey Adam -- My last post on this today. I promise.

To start--My configuration: Sprint Pre with 1.4.1.1. Save/Restore v1.0.0, Preware 1.2.6, Uberkernal 1.2.1-92 at 500/1GHz Screenstate

Based on your help above, I installed two scripts to S/R today (copied to /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/):

• "Misc OS Backup Files- with text_edit_autoreplace" and
    • "ZZZ Save Restore Zip"

If I then: "Select All" (including the "ZZZ Save Restore Zip" script) --> "Save selected" I see the following...

After doing this, S/R appears to be keeping the two most recent save points for each appID. Basically, each saverestore/appID folder has two folders within it. Each of those two folders is the date-time-stamp of the most current two save points. Inside each of those two directories is the appropriate .zip for each. It seems like the 'cleanup' that must happen after backup to remove the older backup folder and .zip file isn't happening (or isn't happening all of the time....)

Because of this issue, the saverestore-DateTimeStamp.zip file created at /media/internal is double the size it should be since that .zip file contains both sets of backup points.... Not sure how this would affect S/R if a restore were to be run from a directory with 2 zips in it...

I have been able to successfully test a process where this doubling of backups never happens. Basically, save a backup first for all "Real Apps (and Misc WebOS files). Only after that (and as part of a separate run of S/R then save backup for only "ZZZ..."

Select All --> Then de-select "ZZZ..." --> Save Selected
    then
    Select None --> Then select "ZZZ...." --> Save Selected.

I have now skimmed through all of what I had missed and I didn't see this reported by anyone else. My testing included deleting my legacy /media/internal/saverestore/* folders completely and starting from scratch. (However, I did not do a full uninstall-reinstall of S/R). Obviously, on the first pass after a full removal of the saverestore directory, it doesn't double up the backups (there's no prior backup to keep), but on 2nd and subsequent passes it does always keep a history of just two backup points...

Any thoughts? Anyone else seeing this? I've never run a S/R backup twice on the same day before, so for all I know it has something to do with that and not the new 'unofficial' script... but I thought I'd take the time to send a report in to you and Rod.

I'm happy to assist with any additional testing.
    greenawayj - save/restore has ALWAYS saved the current and previous backups of a script, which is a good idea IMO in case you mess something up and want to go back to the prior save point... So, unless Rod or someone makes the program to add a configurable item to save only 1 or 2 or X saves, that ZIP file will always be 2x the size. I can't respond much more right now (travelling and not near a PC), but I hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    For anyone else who totally missed this (as I did), the initial discussion of this topic seems to start around post #708 in this thread. I haven't read everything yet, but it also looks like Audemars02 extended his initial concept with later scripts to include a few other key webos files.... so it's probably worth reading down several pages before you decide which one is best for you!!! Thanks a bunch Audemars02!!!

Man, you take 2 weeks off from thread following and miss huge improvements / changes like this!!! No wonder my wife accuses me of being addicted to my Pre mistress and her evil twin sister PreCentral all the time. I have to be, or I'll miss a great fix like this.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW -- There's also a very interesting script at Post 534 that I hadn't seen (to backup PalmDatabase.db3 among other key OS files...) Again, I'd suggest reading 534 and then 708-current for those who want to get up to date on these... Final Further review: 708 has the "Zip all S/R folders" script and 534, 740, & 752 have incremental improvements of the "Other Key OS files" backup. Neither of these scripts allows for restore, but rather provides an easy way to get these key files uploaded to off-device (even cloud based) storage.
    when I get home this weekend, I will try to consolidate all my scripts that are Forum-only (i.e. Not included in the app) so it's easier to follow these developments.

fyi any comments on my scripts? Any suggestions/recommendations/changes you would like?
    greenawayj - save/restore has ALWAYS saved the current and previous backups of a script, which is a good idea IMO in case you mess something up and want to go back to the prior save point... So, unless Rod or someone makes the program to add a configurable item to save only 1 or 2 or X saves, that ZIP file will always be 2x the size. I can't respond much more right now (travelling and not near a PC), but I hope that helps
    Thanks for the response (and apologies for my confusion). Personally, I'm totally fine with the 'prior 2' backup philosophy -- no real need for it to be configurable. The extra 15MB isn't an issue. However, I just had never noticed that two copies were saved before today. I don't look in that folder often, but thought it was just keeping 1 at a time.

Matter of fact (using the approach in my note...) I can repeatably [not really -- see NOTE below] get S/R to save just 1 version!! I completely understand that you are on the road and I really appreciate the quick reply. I'm just not sure why it's working differently when running "ZZZ saverestore backup Zip" alone (only keeping 1 backup per AppID) vs when running "ZZZ saverestore backup Zip" along with other scripts (keeping 2).

Enjoy the rest of your travels and I'll be happy to help when you get reconnected.

[Note: after writing this. Did another test with 'ZZZ Saverestore Backup Zip' turned off. First run yielded 2 folders per /media/internal/saverestore/appID directory!! 2nd run same configuration yielded just most recent folder. 3rd run.... again just one DTS folder per AppID directory.... There's clearly something going on. Maybe it depends on whether or not the S/R app is closed / reopened or if I backswipe to move from the end-scene of the actual save process, to the main S/R scene (during which time, it says "Loading Archive Data") I don't know why or when it's happening, but there are absolutely times when there is just one backup per AppID. Again, I'm happy to help figure this out so that it can be documented (or fixed if it is actually a bug of some type...)]
    Last edited by greenawayj; 08/06/2010 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    A script for nanplayer has already been written.
    Umm, What? Who wrote it? I'd be interested in trying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    What version of save/restore is installed?
    1.0.0 is installed.
    I'm rather disapointed with the implementation of these apps I wanted to be able to copy whole directories like how it works on the pc there is a special directory you copy stuff to. I was expecting to be able to use internalz to copy whole directories to a special directory. It works fine for single file transfers as long as that file is first copied to the /media/internal/ directory which I finally realized that this is why I could not see everything I was expecting to see. I still have no idea what all those garbage files are with random letters and/or numbers (several dozen at least).

Quote Originally Posted by tainvst View Post
    1.0.0 is installed.
    Is this a new install or upgrade from an older version? If upgrade from older version did the older version zip or was it from before the zipping? Not sure if this could be the cause or not. I'm taking shots in the dark as I'm not really sure why it would hang indefinitely grayed out. I have it hang grayed out sometimes but not long maybe 15 seconds and I can't reliably replicate it to say it is a problem with save/restore and not a glitch in my device or an expected load time.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    This is a request for the developers, can you either mention in the description that Zip and UnZip are required for recovery or as them as dependencies in the installer? I figured this out myself after I kept getting errors. Once I installed them, I was able to recover my settings. Thanks so much for this awesome app.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    This is a request for the developers, can you either mention in the description that Zip and UnZip are required for recovery or as them as dependencies in the installer? I figured this out myself after I kept getting errors. Once I installed them, I was able to recover my settings. Thanks so much for this awesome app.
    Not to speak for the devs but this might clear up what you are asking/requesting.
    The instructions for installing save/restore and using it as a back up clearly state that you should only use Preware to install it. If these instructions are followed correctly then you will not run into the problems that you have faced.
    See http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:SaveRestore for primary reference.

Pip