Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142434445465191 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsys View Post
    Had to do the WebOsQI install and zip/unzip and it worked... Is it supposed to save and restore the patches you had? If not is there something out there?
    It saves the Preware saved package list so that you can restore it and then hit install all in Preware so you get all your homebrew back, including patches.
    There is atleast one detailed post in this thread if you want more details.

Pip
    I've updated the wiki page for save/restore to include a little more info and reformatted the section with the screen shots to match the other pages with the smaller thumbnail size and description text to the right.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    My PC has Windows 7 (x64 bit). When I try to copy the files from my Pre (drag & drop) from the Pre directory window to a Documents Library folder window on my PC, most folders seem to get copied but I get an error message saying the file names are too long (418 files worth) and will not be copied. I discovered it is the .palm folder that won't fully copy over. All the files that can't be copied seem to start with ".2"

I tried a Hotfix I found on the Microsoft site to allow more than 260 characters etc. but it didn't work.

Anyone else have this problem and is there a solution so I can use Save/Restore to back up everything on the Pre?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Pre in MN; 07/31/2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: discovered the problem folder
  4.    #804  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    My PC has Windows 7 (x64 bit). When I try to copy the files from my Pre (drag & drop) from the Pre directory window to a Documents Library folder window on my PC, most folders seem to get copied but I get an error message saying the file names are too long (418 files worth) and will not be copied. I discovered it is the .palm folder that won't fully copy over. All the files that can't be copied seem to start with ".2"

I tried a Hotfix I found on the Microsoft site to allow more than 260 characters etc. but it didn't work.

Anyone else have this problem and is there a solution so I can use Save/Restore to back up everything on the Pre?

Thanks!
    For Save/Restore, you only need the saverestore directory. It has short *.zip filenames in it specifically because of problems like this with Windows.

Alternatively, use a proper operating system

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I discovered it is the .palm folder that won't fully copy over. All the files that can't be copied seem to start with ".2"
    That folder is an encrypted file system structure or something like that and basically is useless/pointless to copy. I don't know all the details and inner workings but I'm pretty sure normally this folder isn't visible unless you have show hidden files or folders enabled. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong but there probably isn't anything in any of the folders that start with a period that needs to be copied over to a PC.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  6.    #806  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    That folder is an encrypted file system structure or something like that and basically is useless/pointless to copy. I don't know all the details and inner workings but I'm pretty sure normally this folder isn't visible unless you have show hidden files or folders enabled. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong but there probably isn't anything in any of the folders that start with a period that needs to be copied over to a PC.
    /media/internal/.palm is the encrypted version of /media/cryptofs/ (where downloaded apps are stored).

Note that it is wiped by the Palm startup scripts during a webOS Doctor or if your Palm Profile is reset.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I copy over the .app-storage folder. The databases for Notes and NaNplayer are stored in there and I use it to return the apps to their old configuration when I doctor. Although I guess ideally this will eventually make it into Save/Restore when someone who isn't broke puts up the bounty. Although NaNplayer is in beta, actually.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Thanks, fellas, for being patient with a rookie!

Just installed the Uberkernel and Govnah a few hours ago, so wish me luck!

Now I have to work on getting my "improper" OS to allow webOSQuickInstall and webOSRepairUtility to recognize my Pre. I think I'll need that to work if I ever need to visit the "doctor," yes?! Windows 7 just doesn't seem to like these Homebrew programs (or, of course, I'm doing something really stupid and causing the problem...).
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I copy over the .app-storage folder. The databases for Notes and NaNplayer are stored in there and I use it to return the apps to their old configuration when I doctor. Although I guess ideally this will eventually make it into Save/Restore when someone who isn't broke puts up the bounty. Although NaNplayer is in beta, actually.
    Anything in app-storage can be backed up and restored with save/restore if the app has been added. I made the script for notes by inglorious which I assume is the one you are referring to. Any apps you have that haven't been added make sure to let us know so one or more of us can get support added. Ideally save/restore will be able to take care of everything that stores data so that there is no need to manually make a backup of a directory such as app-storage. A lot of progress has been made with it so far.
    Bounty offer for LaunchPoint Speed Dial. Currently in the app catalog for $0.99. Would it be possible to backup all your created launchpoints?

I'll offer a $2.50 bounty, which should cover 2x the cost of the app plus tax.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Bounty offer for LaunchPoint Speed Dial. Currently in the app catalog for $0.99. Would it be possible to backup all your created launchpoints?

I'll offer a $2.50 bounty, which should cover 2x the cost of the app plus tax.

Thanks!
    I already created a script for it... It's part of the Launcher script. I have not tested it for launchpoints, but if you want, I can buy the app and double check. Or, you can test it for yourself!

all bounty/donations can be made to: adam.marks@precentral.net :-)
    I have Launchpoint, too (awesome app, by the way, the best speed dial app!), so I'm glad to hear it's backed up.

I'd be happy to make a donation, but how does one do it with just your e-mail address?
    I have Launchpoint, too (awesome app, by the way, the best speed dial app!), so I'm glad to hear it's backed up.

I'd be happy to make a donation, but how does one do it with just your e-mail address?
    really? Cool, thnx a lot... Just use paypal, "send money" and send to that email address. I guess I should figure out how to get a link like everyone else seems to have, huh? Anyway, thnx again in advance!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is a new srf.app.preferences script in the git source repo which can be used for this purpose (I wrote it a couple of days ago).

See the modeswitcher script for an example of its use.

-- Rod
    Hey Rod...I was looking over this new script. It references "PALMDB=/var/palm/data/preferences.db" but I dont seem to have that file. I don't have Modeswitcher installed, but I do have "App Launcher Advanced Configuration" patch.. any idea why I wouldnt have that file?

thanks
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Here is a script for nanplayer
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post

A script for nanplayer has already been written.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I already created a script for it... It's part of the Launcher script. I have not tested it for launchpoints, but if you want, I can buy the app and double check.
    Ok....looks like it does work. I had to doctor my phone yesterday and when I restored everything the shortcuts were there but when I clicked on them, instead of having the person's name, it said "unknown."

Anyway, I just tested again. I backed up Launcher, deleted Launchpoint shortcuts, restored using save/restore, did a Luna restart and the shortcuts did show up and they did work this time.

I'm getting a new Pre next week, I saved a backup to my PC hard drive so I'm curious to see how well save/restore works to restore files on a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Ok....looks like it does work. I had to doctor my phone yesterday and when I restored everything the shortcuts were there but when I clicked on them, instead of having the person's name, it said "unknown."

Anyway, I just tested again. I backed up Launcher, deleted Launchpoint shortcuts, restored using save/restore, did a Luna restart and the shortcuts did show up and they did work this time.

I'm getting a new Pre next week, I saved a backup to my PC hard drive so I'm curious to see how well save/restore works to restore files on a new phone.
    I have not done a FULL restore using Save/Restore since its very early data, but my Pre is getting all kinds of messed up. I was hoping to wait until 1.4.5.x came out and do a doctor, but at this rate, who knows when that will be. So, I will be about to get a taste of my own medicine in the next day or so when I also try to do a full Doctor and restore. will probably be a good experience for me, so I can help out others, too.. good luck with yours!

EDIT: Did a doctor today and followed my steps listed in precentral.net/saverestore ... the steps worked great! I had a few issues with Preware not wanting to reinstall some apps/patchs that were not there anymore, but otherwise i was able to get my phone back to normal.
    Last edited by Audemars02; 08/02/2010 at 08:12 PM.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I have asked developer of YouView Visual voicemail (hot apps winner) if he'll donate a copy to you guys or write the script himself to get added to this. I'll keep you updated.

Update: Perhaps one of you scriptors can contact him.

"Originally Posted by Arcticus
    Sure I have no problem doing that as I fully support those guys and their efforts,"
    Here is a script for YouView... just wrote it today.. it should also copy/restore all your saved voicemails on your device, too. let me know if this works for you.

Until we get the Save/Restore app updates, please use webOS Quick Install or Internalz to copy the script file (from within the ZIP file) to /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/

EDIT: I have uploaded 2 versions of the script: 1 that saves the mp3s, and one that does not.
    Last edited by Audemars02; 08/02/2010 at 07:23 PM.

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Here is a script for YouView... just wrote it today.. it should also copy/restore all your saved voicemails on your device, too. let me know if this works for you.

Until we get the Save/Restore app updates, please use webOS Quick Install or Internalz to copy the script file (from within the ZIP file) to /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    Hey Audemard02 --

I've had to reset YouView a few times for various reasons, and while it would be great to have YVVM in Save/Restore, I think just the profile information and application settings should be sufficient. I don't think the actual voicemail messages and their MP3 attachments would be needed since once YVVM logs in to the account, it will automatically re-download all Inbox messages and voicemail attachments. (At least I think that's the way it seems to have worked... but when I've done it, it was from a fresh install. Now that I think about it, if S/R just overwrites the database settings, it might not know to go out to the YM server and get everything again....)

I'll be happy to test this out later (or tomorrow since I'm off to the Red Sox game now...)

Not criticizing, just questioning resources (USB space and S/R backup time)??
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Hey Audemard02 --

I've had to reset YouView a few times for various reasons, and while it would be great to have YVVM in Save/Restore, I think just the profile information and application settings should be sufficient. I don't think the actual voicemail messages and their MP3 attachments would be needed since once YVVM logs in to the account, it will automatically re-download all Inbox messages and voicemail attachments. (At least I think that's the way it seems to have worked... but when I've done it, it was from a fresh install. Now that I think about it, if S/R just overwrites the database settings, it might not know to go out to the YM server and get everything again....)

I'll be happy to test this out later (or tomorrow since I'm off to the Red Sox game now...)

Not criticizing, just questioning resources (USB space and S/R backup time)??
    I agree. We can re-sync with the YouMail servers to re-download our voicemails. What I was after is the login/account info, the preferences, and any custom contacts that we've setup within the YouView app with its beta synergy integration to our existing contacts. I'll try out your script, thanks much for doing it.