Page 36 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2631323334353637383940414686 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    In future, you should stop using WebOS Quick Install for installing things until it supports dependencies. Use Preware, which automatically installs dependencies.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod, will do. And thanks to all of you who are working with Preware, Internals and all other homebrew aspects, you guys make being a webOS owner much more enjoyable.
    Save/Restore 0.9.11 should be in the testing feed shortly (can take some time before it shows up, possibly even a few hours!)

Enhancement: Rod updated the app to allow for database names that include spaces
    Applications:
    - SprintTV (courtesy of Audemars02, with a generous bounty by the2ndflood)
    - Blades of Fury, Guitar Hero 5 (both courtesy of Chakat Silverstreak)
    - Applications: AirTraffic Lite, Market Live, Nuclear Attack, Skybox, Tan Total, TrackMyWork Free, Code Cabinet, Simple Shop, WordRacer, Tuck Tuck, FeedReader, iCopter, MyLists, SpaceAlarm, Ideal Weight , Touch Connect (all courtesy of pip smith)

Please test the above scripts and let us know what you find. Also, the change to allow for spaces in "database names" causes some initial problems (which all appears to be fixed). So, PLEASE test this new version and let me know if anyone runs in to any problems!

NOTE 1: Anyone interested in getting access to the testing feed, follow the instructions here: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

NOTE 2: Don't see an app supported in Save/Restore? Request them here! Remember the bounty system that is referenced on the first post. For any paid applications, the "standard rate" is to offer 2x the value of the App.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    First no this is not the right place best answers will be provided if you post in the save/restore thread. But I'm sure a mod will merge it anyway so don't worry.
    Anyway the answer to the actual question is yes. Quick instructions.
    0)Open Preware, go to saved package list and update said list.
    1) Make a save of all apps you want in save/restore on current phone.
    2) Put phone in usb mode and copy the folder "saverestore" to your pc.
    3)Get new phone
    4)Load palm profile and redownload all apps.
    5)Install Preware, then from Preware isntall save/restore.
    6)go to usb mode, copy save/restore folder to phone.
    7) Unplug phone, Open save/restore, just restore the preware data to restore.
    8) Open preware, go to saved package list, your list will be back. Check said list, swipe if you don't want anything, then hit instal all.
    9) After installing do a luna restart.
    10) systematically go through the apps that you are restoring data to and open and close them to create the databases.
    11) open save/restore and slect to restore the rest of your apps.
    12) Do a luna restart.

For more info see the save/restore thread.

Edit: I see that we got moved to the thread
    Thank you very much Pip! I still havent worked out where to post what around here yet and with 3 kids its not always easy to search and dig through a bunch of posts. I appreciate the info!

Melissa
    Rod -- I have been thinking about an easy way to allow cloud-based storage of the save/restore backup and came up with an idea. I have only tested a few apps (e.g. zumo drive), but so far they all seem to only allow a single file to be uploaded

So....just as you now ZIP the saverestore directory for each individual app, is there a way to do a ZIP of the entire saverestore directory after a "save" is completed, where the filename would be the timestamp.zip but include ALL the backup data. This way, we could then go into one of these cloud storage apps and select a SINGLE file to backup.

I was able to do this manually by running the follow command from the /media/internal directory in Terminal:
    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/zip -r saverestore.zip saverestore/*
    but this would be a great option (maybe a preference?) when you run save/restore? Or, maybe just an separate script that could be run when requested. Thoughts?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Rod -- I have been thinking about an easy way to allow cloud-based storage of the save/restore backup and came up with an idea. I have only tested a few apps (e.g. zumo drive), but so far they all seem to only allow a single file to be uploaded

So....just as you now ZIP the saverestore directory for each individual app, is there a way to do a ZIP of the entire saverestore directory after a "save" is completed, where the filename would be the timestamp.zip but include ALL the backup data. This way, we could then go into one of these cloud storage apps and select a SINGLE file to backup.

I was able to do this manually by running the follow command from the /media/internal directory in Terminal:
    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/zip -r saverestore.zip saverestore/*
    but this would be a great option (maybe a preference?) when you run save/restore? Or, maybe just an separate script that could be run when requested. Thoughts?
    OK..as a followup, i created the attached script and tied it to the org.webosinternals.saverestore app. you will see that I named it "ZZZ Save Restore Zip creation" so that it appears at the very bottom of the save/restore installed apps list and will therefore will always be run last. Basically, it creates a ZIP file called saverestore-(timestamp).zip with a zipped up version of your entire save/restore directory (replacing (timestamp) with the actual timestamp! Right now this is placed in the root (i.e /media/internal) directory, although we can of course modify this. What do people think?

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

APPID=`basename $0`
    APPNAME="ZZZ Save Restore Zip Creation"
    APPNOTE="Only Creates ZIP file.  Does not restore"

source `dirname $0`/srf.app.info

if [ "$1" == "save" ] ; then
      cd /media/internal
      ${ZIP} -q -r saverestore-${TIMESTAMP}.zip saverestore/*
      cd /
      echo saverestore-${TIMESTAMP}.zip created
    fi

if [ "$1" == "restore" ] ; then
      echo ZIP file is not restored
    fi

exit 0
    Attached Files Attached Files

Like any of my work:
    Audemars that is a great suggestion I had been zipping the directory and uploading to zumodrive so this saves me a lot. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Audemars that is a great suggestion I had been zipping the directory and uploading to zumodrive so this saves me a lot. Thanks!
    I did some testing, but let me know how this works... note that is only works for the ZIP. i did NOT code it for an UNZIP/Restore. too many options to overwrite your save/restore data and lose your backups!

Like any of my work:
    FYI...looks like v0.9.11 has a bug in it..my saves dont seem to be working (you will get an error on some save or restores that "media/.../zip -q: not found".. i know what needs to be done, just have to confirm how to do it... i will get a fix out shortly to resolve this.

EDIT: Just pushed out 0.9.12 with a fix..be on the lookout
    Last edited by Audemars02; 07/19/2010 at 06:10 PM.

Like any of my work:
    I was getting ready to post that I even back to an older restore package and no luck. My newsroom app wouldn't restore.
    I was getting ready to post that I even back to an older restore package and no luck. My newsroom app wouldn't restore.
    Yea.. if you uninstall and go back to an older version of the saverestore app (i.e. the last production version, not the testing version), it should work just fine... you can even uninstall 0.9.11 then install 0.9.3 and all of your scripts should still be there... then just wait for 0.9.12 before you update again

Like any of my work:
    i have been testing so long does 9.3 use the zip and unzip
    i have been testing so long does 9.3 use the zip and unzip
    yea...0.9.x started ZIP vs unZIP... the only main difference was that you may run into the "too many scripts" issue with 0.9.3. if you want, you can also just update the following 5 files on top of 0.9.11 ..this will fix your issue until 0.9.12 is available
    Attached Files Attached Files

Like any of my work:
    dang I had just installed 9.9 and was able to restore my newsroom data.
    FYI.. 0.9.12 is now out!

Like any of my work:
    Audemars just a suggestion but with the launcher and web you have to do a luna restart is there anyway that luna manager can be included in the menu items like it is in Preware. That would save users addtional steps. Just a thought.
  16.    #716  
    Audemars just a suggestion but with the launcher and web you have to do a luna restart is there anyway that luna manager can be included in the menu items like it is in Preware. That would save users addtional steps. Just a thought.
    Assuming Preware is installed, yes.

Just neds a Mojo developer to code it.

-- Rod
    The time stamped zip of the whole save/restore folder..... I assume this would mean that there would be more than one zip sort of like a go back in time to a specific instance of running the backup? and we could unzip to get what is needed. Though I can't think of any reason to want to do that just wondering how this would work if it is added. I assume those who are manually zip the save/restore folder are doing so to keep a backup history of such like this?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    The time stamped zip of the whole save/restore folder..... I assume this would mean that there would be more than one zip sort of like a go back in time to a specific instance of running the backup? and we could unzip to get what is needed. Though I can't think of any reason to want to do that just wondering how this would work if it is added. I assume those who are manually zip the save/restore folder are doing so to keep a backup history of such like this?
    Right now, I just created a very rudimentary way of doing this, so that every time you run this ZIP script, it creates a new ZIP file with the current timestamp. You would need to manually delete any old ZIPs if you wanted to. The main purpose of this was not to keep multiple backups (although that is a nice byproduct), but to allow a single file to quickly upload via a cloud-based service (e.g. WifiMedia Sync, ZumoDrive, Drop Box, etc). I expect that we will see some further enhancements to this idea, but for now, here is a quick way to backup a single file!

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I did not read all 37 pages but I read post #341 and the wiki page, but there is no info about "ext:" databases, that are on the media partition.

To my surprise, I found scripts for 4 of our apps in Save/Restore, but they only backup irrelevant stuff (cookies), because the real data is in a .db file on the media partition.

I don't want the users to think that they have backed up there data, when they in fact have not.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    I did not read all 37 pages but I read post #341 and the wiki page, but there is no info about "ext:" databases, that are on the media partition.

To my surprise, I found scripts for 4 of our apps in Save/Restore, but they only backup irrelevant stuff (cookies), because the real data is in a .db file on the media partition.

I don't want the users to think that they have backed up there data, when they in fact have not.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Can you please provide the specifics for which Apps you are referring to, and the specifics of what is not being backed up correctly? That way I can update the script and the walkthru.

Thanks
    Adam

Like any of my work: