Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1848
Like Tree18Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What URLs (there should be two - all and armv7 for the Pre, armv6 for the Pixi, or i686 for the emulator) are listed in your webos-internals-testing.conf file?

    -- Rod
    Ahhh yes...when i recently doctored my phone i added the ALL feed but i forgot to add the Pre feed.

    Much appreciated, thanks!!!
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    Hrm, so you just need to find where it stores the save data, and then what else? Should I just look at pre-existing scripts? Looking forward to a patch submission portal... have plenty of currently unsupported apps I'd be happy to add bounty free.
    Look at git.webos-internals.org in the applications/saverestore repo in the scripts directory.

    Catch me in the #webos-internals IRC channel to get git repo commit access to contribute new scripts.

    Like we did with patches, we will go for some time with direct developer git submissions before opening a public submission portal, so that we can update the scripts as there are any architectural changes.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #43  
    Save/Restore 0.5.0 is now in Preware, and is now considered a public beta release. Beta testers should feel confident to use it, but as always do not trust it to be your only backup of data.




    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
    I'd like to put in a formal request for dungeon hunter. I can try and help provide save information if you need it.
    A $20 bounty for Dungeon Hunter has been received, and Save/Restore now supports Dungeon Hunter.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #45  
    Rod -- any way to backup the PalmDatabase.db3 file in this process as well?

    Also, is it possible to add functionality to export (1) Contacts and (2) Calendar to be backed up? I can send you the file that one of the users created to export the contacts to a .csv file, or you can maybe build something similiar to the "email all contacts" patch. Even if these are not able to be restored, at least there is an easy way to get a local backup of these files out there for the masses

    thanks again!
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by yepyep123 View Post
    I see Dr. Podder on the list of supported applications but it does not show up in my "save application data" page. Its like it doesnt recognize my Dr. Podder. Is that because I am using the homebrew version? Any chance this will receive support if so?
    It's likely you have a very old version of DrPodder. It changed application id recently - you should update to the latest version.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Rod -- any way to backup the PalmDatabase.db3 file in this process as well?
    That particular file has a whole lot of different things all mixed up together in a highly intertwined set of schemas which hurt my brain.

    We could easily copy the whole file, but that's not going to be much good to you.

    Also, is it possible to add functionality to export (1) Contacts and (2) Calendar to be backed up? I can send you the file that one of the users created to export the contacts to a .csv file, or you can maybe build something similiar to the "email all contacts" patch. Even if these are not able to be restored, at least there is an easy way to get a local backup of these files out there for the masses
    Yep, post the files here and we can look at how to export them.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8. #48  
    Sure wish I had this over the weekend when I wiped my Pre to get a fresh start. I lost several months of health-related info from "Absolute Fitness"

    I will install this from Preware right away!
  9. #49  
    What is the probability of supporting Total Fitness? I don't see it listed, and I reeeeaaaaallllyy not to stop losing my blood pressure tracking stats.

    Thanks!
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What is the probability of supporting Total Fitness? I don't see it listed, and I reeeeaaaaallllyy not to stop losing my blood pressure tracking stats.

    Thanks!
    Is it a free or paid app? If paid, we'll need someone to put up a bounty so a developer can buy it to develop and test the script.

    BTW, I just noticed your signature text: "If YOU APPRECIATE THE DEV'S RESPONSIBLE FOR PREWARE AND WEBOS INTERNALS PLEASE HIT THE DONATION BUTTON IN JASON R'S OR RWHITBY's SIGNATURE Thanks !!"

    Thanks very much for the mention, but I must point out that Jason R is not responsible for either Preware or WebOS Internals. Jason is Canuck Software, and is the author of great apps like WebOS Quick Install and WebOS Repair Utility, but is not part of the WebOS Internals team and is not involved in the development of Preware, just like WebOS Internals developers are not involved in the development of WebOS Quick Install. The two groups of developers collaborate together in the overall homebrew ecosystem.

    Thanks,
    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. #51  
    I am getting a replacement phone from Sprint today. How does the restore function work? My particular interest is SplashID. I have used Save/Restore to save the data but don't know if it was saved to " the cloud" or internally to the Pre. If internally to the Pre, does the Sprint daily backup save it to the cloud?
    TIA
    Bill
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by BillP3393 View Post
    I am getting a replacement phone from Sprint today. How does the restore function work? My particular interest is SplashID. I have used Save/Restore to save the data but don't know if it was saved to " the cloud" or internally to the Pre. If internally to the Pre, does the Sprint daily backup save it to the cloud?
    TIA
    As stated in the description of the app in Preware, the wiki page, and in the first post of this thread, the data is saved to the 'saverestore' directory on the USB drive.

    It is up to you to backup that directory somewhere else and restore it back to the same location if you are changing devices.

    Then install Preware, Save/Restore and SplashID on the new device, run SplashID once, and then close SashID and restore it's data in Save/Restore.

    Also, as stated in the description of Save/Restore, you should not trust it to be the only backup of your data at this stage while it is still in beta. Use the SplashID export function too for a second independent copy.
    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/31/2010 at 02:41 AM.
  13. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #53  
    This kind of development is precisely why I got a Pre and is also why I will get the next WebOS device, whatever it is.

    Will this make it possible for patches to migrate from one device to the next, or survive the doctor at some point? Without having to hunt for them again? I have so many, and I know I can go find them again, or record them in advance then go get them, but it would be nice to just back them up then restore from back up in a couple steps.

    And the same for apps installed from PreWare? App store apps are stored in your profile, and re-installed. I don't think PreWare apps are, am I wrong?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    This kind of development is precisely why I got a Pre and is also why I will get the next WebOS device, whatever it is.

    Will this make it possible for patches to migrate from one device to the next, or survive the doctor at some point? Without having to hunt for them again? I have so many, and I know I can go find them again, or record them in advance then go get them, but it would be nice to just back them up then restore from back up in a couple steps.

    And the same for apps installed from PreWare? App store apps are stored in your profile, and re-installed. I don't think PreWare apps are, am I wrong?
    Yes, those are possible usages - we're still working out the best way to do that.

    -- Rod
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

    If you want to have your favourite application supported ...
    It seems like there should be a way for applications themselves to provide automatically importable save-restore methods. Is that a doable thing? I have one particular app (listed here, JSON Location Tracker) that I imagine very few people would ever use and it makes little sense to me to include it in your distribution.

    It makes more sense to me that it would be able to present itself to the save/restore app in some way... or be scannable by, ... something like that.

    Am I talking like a drunk?
  16. #56  
    You may be drunk, but you're not talking like one! :-)

    The "Fuel" app does it's own exporting and importing so you can "save" everything you've typed into it. I think it'd be a matter of the app writing to the flash portion instead.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    You may be drunk, but you're not talking like one! :-)

    The "Fuel" app does it's own exporting and importing so you can "save" everything you've typed into it. I think it'd be a matter of the app writing to the flash portion instead.
    Now that you mention it, I do recall that apps can optionally save databases to the media/internal ... I suppose this save/restore app is only for apps that don't do it on their own.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by spottedkangaroo View Post
    Now that you mention it, I do recall that apps can optionally save databases to the media/internal ... I suppose this save/restore app is only for apps that don't do it on their own.
    Save/Restore does more than just copying the data to /media/internal - it also arranges for the databases and cookies and files to be put back in the right spot on restore.

    It is true that each app, if written very carefully to do so, could do this itself. Save/Restore is for the many apps for which *you* want to save the data, but the author hasn't provided a way to do that.

    We do have plans for apps to be able to install a specially named script, and have that automatically included in Save/Restore's scanning of supported apps. But we want to focus on the getting the functionality correct first with a smaller set of apps that people interested in helping on Save/Restore really care about. Once that's all stable and fully featured (e.g. supporting multiple savesets for saving, selecting which saveset to restore, and being able to email savesets) we'll look at extending it so app authors can include their own support easily.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Save/Restore does more than just copying the data to /media/internal - it also arranges for the databases and cookies and files to be put back in the right spot on restore.
    It sounds like a maintenance nightmare to me. You guys do a great job with patches and things though.

    It's going to save me a lotta trouble with, for example, DrPodder -- and he seems pretty co-operative about this since he directed me to this as a solution to my webosdoctor woes. Uncooperative authors could be more of a problem..
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by spottedkangaroo View Post
    It sounds like a maintenance nightmare to me. You guys do a great job with patches and things though.

    It's going to save me a lotta trouble with, for example, DrPodder -- and he seems pretty co-operative about this since he directed me to this as a solution to my webosdoctor woes. Uncooperative authors could be more of a problem..
    Well, we don't need cooperation from the author to extract the data if they are using standard Mojo calls.

    And an uncooperative author would not add support for Save/Restore to their app anyway.

    So either way, the community needs to be the ones supporting save/restore for apps with uncooperative authors (e.g. big 3D games companies for a start).

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions