Page 22 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #421  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to force close an app like that. But I guess it may depend on the app. It might be a better idea to have a check of some sort to advize the user the app is open. Personally I run save/restore at boot up using mode switcher and do my backup with the daily reset. That way I don't run into any odd ball situations or forget to do the backup.
    That's a good idea - perhaps we can add some launch parameters to save/restore to make it perform the backup immediately after opening.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That's a good idea - perhaps we can add some launch parameters to save/restore to make it perform the backup immediately after opening.

-- Rod
    Outline Tracker keeps the databases open whenever it's running, so forcing it to close is the only way to ensure the database are closed.

There's a known problem with having more than one connection to the databases open simultaneously -- I don't know for sure that there's a problem copying the database files while the database is open, but better safe than sorry, with a backup app.

Can other apps cross-launch Save/Restore, to have it do a backup of their files? Or is that what you were just suggesting?
    Last edited by DougReeder; 07/03/2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: another idea
    How do you offer a bounty on free apps? For instance, I play the homebrew app "Five Dice" a lot. Any way to add that to the save/restore list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    How do you offer a bounty on free apps? For instance, I play the homebrew app "Five Dice" a lot. Any way to add that to the save/restore list?
    for free apps, you do not NEED to offer a bounty, you can just ask for it and hopefully one of us will get to it sooner rather than later... However, if you want to offer a bounty up front, or just want to donate something after the fact, you can still post your offer... I, personally, try to respond to free requests within a few days anyway, even if there is no bounty, but wouldn't turn a donation down!! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    Outline Tracker keeps the databases open whenever it's running, so forcing it to close is the only way to ensure the database are closed.
    That is to be expected as a developer you close the connection to the file only when you are no longer needing access to the file. Typically when the app is closed during the cleanup routine/procedure. Is there any reason the app needs to stay open at the time the backup is performed? Or am I missing the point?

Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    Can other apps cross-launch Save/Restore, to have it do a backup of their files? Or is that what you were just suggesting?
    Yes mode switcher does this very thing. You can pick any installed app to launch as part of a profile. I personally launch some six or so apps upon boot up using the default profile. Save/restore is one of them. As far as tell save/restore to do a specific apps backup I'm not sure but if there was an option to backup all upon it being opened it would cover that base. This I think is the idea rod may be having.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    for free apps, you do not NEED to offer a bounty, you can just ask for it and hopefully one of us will get to it sooner rather than later... However, if you want to offer a bounty up front, or just want to donate something after the fact, you can still post your offer... I, personally, try to respond to free requests within a few days anyway, even if there is no bounty, but wouldn't turn a donation down!! :-)
    Thanks....I'll offer a $5 bounty for the homebrew app "Five Dice." Just let me know where to paypal the money to.
    I'll also offer a $5 bounty for Electronic Arts "Battleship" game available in the app catalog. Currently listed for $2.50. Thanks!
    I'll also offer a $5 bounty for Electronic Arts "Battleship" game available in the app catalog. Currently listed for $2.50. Thanks!
    Thanks....I'll offer a $5 bounty for the homebrew app "Five Dice." Just let me know where to paypal the money to.
    I will work on these right now for ya...

will report back shortly
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Audemars I was trying to follow your steps in this thread to create a restore point for plumbers nightmare. I downloaded the files you mentioned opened the command prompts and navigated to the directory. I am not sure what which files I need to save now all the latest files were in directories and I didn't know what to look for in there. Are there any screenshots available for the various steps? I will try to mess with it again tomorrow Have to study for my dissertation defense in the morning so I didn't want to get too far into the process where I couldn't stop. Thanks for your instructions.
  10.    #430  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Audemars I was trying to follow your steps in this thread to create a restore point for plumbers nightmare. I downloaded the files you mentioned opened the command prompts and navigated to the directory. I am not sure what which files I need to save now all the latest files were in directories and I didn't know what to look for in there. Are there any screenshots available for the various steps? I will try to mess with it again tomorrow Have to study for my dissertation defense in the morning so I didn't want to get too far into the process where I couldn't stop. Thanks for your instructions.
    The files part of the instructions will really only be needed for 3D games and other PDK apps.

Most normal WebOS apps only need databases and cookies.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ok Thanks so does that mean I just need to look at the database part of the instructions posted?
  12.    #432  
    BTW, I'm really glad to see the bounty system working well, and the opportunity for anyone to get involved in it with the great instructions that have been posted.

The whole process makes my job as Save/Restore author much easier, since there is now a financial incentive for others to help extend the application in a true open source way.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Attached are the scripts for these 2 apps... I think I was able to get this to work perfectly for both, but I would love it if you would be able to check something for me for Battleship... if you have command line access and are able to run a simple command, let me know. this is just a double check to be sure i got everything...

I will work to get these into the Save/Restore app as soon as possible, but for now, you can follow the directions below to add these manually. please let me know if these work for you. note that for Five Dice, you may need to do a Luna Restart for these to stick.. if a restore at first does not work, try to do a restore and then immediately do a Luna restart

To test these out before the Save/restore app is updated:

1. Grab the specific script from the ZIP File
    2. Put your phone in Developer Mode and load up webOS Quick Install
    3. Select Tools - Send a File. For "File", just select the script you want to install. For "Destination Folder", put in: /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    4. Load up the Save/Restore app, and they should be there!

If these work to your satisfaction, you can paypal the bounty to adam.marks@precentral.net ... if not, let me know what issues you have. you can either post the issues here or send me an email to the address above

thanks!
    Adam
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Ok Thanks so does that mean I just need to look at the database part of the instructions posted?
    yes..look at the section where I reference the following 2 files:
    /var/palm/data/Databases.db
    /var/palm/data/cookies.db

usually, you only need to pull the specific files for the 3D/PDK games --OR-- the cookies or databases files. of course, there are some other unique cases, such as the script for Quick Contacts that needed to pull the cookies and databases --AND-- had to pull some files from the media/internal/quickcontacts/ folder. if you run into any issues, please post them here or you can try to email me directly at adam.marks@precentral.net

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    BTW, I'm really glad to see the bounty system working well, and the opportunity for anyone to get involved in it with the great instructions that have been posted.

The whole process makes my job as Save/Restore author much easier, since there is now a financial incentive for others to help extend the application in a true open source way.

-- Rod
    Yea, I think the bounty system was a great idea...did you see my post a while about at the "one hour rule"..what did u think of that? could u add that to the first post if you think that a worth-while addition (just so mutliple people dont pay for an app, but only one gets paid)

Like any of my work:
    Ok before I do the remaining steps does this look okay I found an entry in the database and the cookies.
    #!/bin/sh

APPID=`basename $0`
    APPNAME="Plumber's Nightmare"

source `dirname $0`/srf.app.info

source `dirname $0`/srf.app.databases

source `dirname $0`/srf.app.cookies

exit 0
    Ok before I do the remaining steps does this look okay I found an entry in the database and the cookies.
    yea...looks good...just one comment ... make sure that there is a final hard-return after the "Exit 0". just a minor thing, but the tool prefers that last line break

also, as i have said before, you may need to do a Luna Restart for it to stick.. if a restore at first does not work, try to do a restore and then immediately do a Luna restart and see if that works.

Like any of my work:
    Attached are the scripts for these 2 apps... I think I was able to get this to work perfectly for both, but I would love it if you would be able to check something for me for Battleship... if you have command line access and are able to run a simple command, let me know. this is just a double check to be sure i got everything...
    Sure, let me know what command I should run.
    Is this right? I see the exit 0 but wanted to make sure before I zip it.
    root@palm-webos-device: sh -x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare info
    + basename /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + APPID=com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + APPNAME=Plumber's Nightmare
    + dirname /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + source /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/srf.app.info
    + [ -n com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare ]
    + [ -n Plumber's Nightmare ]
    + : /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + : /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + : /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + ZIP=/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/zip -q
    + UNZIP=/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/unzip -q
    + MOSTRECENT=
    + TIMESTAMP=
    + [ -d /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare ]
    + [ -n ]
    + [ info == info ]
    + { "id": "com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare", "title": "Plumber's Nightmare", echo -n { "id": "com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare", "title": "Plumber's Nightmare",
    + [ -n ]
    "saved": false }
    + [ -n ]
    + echo "saved": false }
    + exit 0
    root@palm-webos-device: sh -x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare save
    + basename /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + APPID=com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + APPNAME=Plumber's Nightmare
    + dirname /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + source /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/srf.app.info
    + [ -n Plumber's Nightmare ]
    + : /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare
    + ZIP=/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/zip -q
    + UNZIP=/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/unzip -q
    + MOSTRECENT=
    + TIMESTAMP=
    + [ -d /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare ]
    + [ -n ]
    + [ save == info ]
    + [ save == save ]
    20100704T205930-0500
    + date +%Y%m%dT%H%M%S%z
    + TIMESTAMP=20100704T205930-0500
    + DSTDIR=/media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500
    + echo 20100704T205930-0500
    + source /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/srf.app.databases
    + [ -n /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare ]
    + [ -n /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500 ]
    + [ -d /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare ]
    + [ -f /var/home/root/html5-databases/Databases.db ]
    + DBSTORE=/var/palm/data
    + PALMDB=/var/palm/data/Databases.db
    + APPSTORE=/media/internal/.app-storage
    + sqlite3 /var/palm/data/Databases.db SELECT origin FROM Origins WHERE origin LIKE "%com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare_0"
    + ORIGIN=file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare_0
    + [ -n file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare_0 ]
    + sqlite3 /var/palm/data/Databases.db SELECT name FROM Databases WHERE origin = "file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare_0"
    + DATABASES=PlumbersNightmareHighScores
    + [ -n PlumbersNightmareHighScores ]
    + [ save == save ]
    + mkdir -p /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500
    + sqlite3 /var/palm/data/Databases.db SELECT path FROM Databases WHERE origin = "file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare_0" AND name = "PlumbersNightmareHighScores"
    + FILE=0000000000000027.db
    + expr PlumbersNightmareHighScores : ext:.*
    + LOC=/var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare_0/0000000000000027.db
    + APPID=PlumbersNightmareHighScores
    + cp /var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare_0/0000000000000027.db /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500/PlumbersNightmareHighScores
    + cd /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500
    + ls -1 PlumbersNightmareHighScores
    PlumbersNightmareHighScores
    + cd /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500
    + /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/zip -q /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500.zip PlumbersNightmareHighScores
    + rm -rf /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500
    + source /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/srf.app.cookies
    + [ -n PlumbersNightmareHighScores ]
    + [ -n /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare ]
    + [ -n /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500 ]
    + FIELDS=domain_head,domain_tail,path,name,value,expires,secure
    + [ -d /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare ]
    + PALMDB=/var/palm/data/cookies.db
    + FILE=cookies.sql
    + [ save == save ]
    + mkdir -p /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500
    + sqlite3 /var/palm/data/cookies.db
    + ls -1 cookies.sql
    cookies.sql
    + /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/zip -q /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500.zip cookies.sql
    + rm -rf /media/internal/saverestore/com.invasivebamboo.plumbersnightmare/20100704T205930-0500
    + exit 0
    root@palm-webos-device:
  20.    #440  
    you can either post the issues here or send me an email to the address above
    I would personally prefer any issues be posted here, so that others who are testing the scripts can see the issues and solutions.

Thanks,
    -- Rod