Page 21 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    I am happy to report that the Browser Restore works perfectly. For some reason my bookmarks disappeared this afternoon. I restored them with no problems whatsoever. Easy as pie.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I performed the backup with save/restore, then uninstalled all of the apps, rebooted my pre, installed all of the apps, opened and closed (after loaded) each of them one at a time, rebooted, and opened save/restore chose all the apps (except those not being tested) and the launcher for restore. I reboot again after the restore was complete noting that it had toggled all of the selected items indicating complete. Upon boot complete all of the icons were still at the bottom of the first page in the order I had installed them rather than where they had been during the backup.
    hmm...i testing this quite a bit on the emulator and it worked. let me try doing some device testing for this and i will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Preware I figure settings and custom feeds are part of the backup is there anything else I need to verify?
    Right now, Preware is only really set up to save your "preferences" and your "saved package list", not feeds. I am currently working on the script to save the custom feeds, but probably wont have that until tomorrow. are you familiar with the "save package list"? that is the real benefit of the "preware" restore, but the feeds will be big, too

Edit: See next post for script for Preware with Feed-support
    Last edited by Audemars02; 06/30/2010 at 11:17 PM.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Here are 2 more scripts for Save/Restore. With all the 1.4.5 news, it will probably be a few days before these get added to the actual App, but i wanted to let everyone have these now.

1) Preware -- updated script to save your Custom Feeds.
    2) Sudoku (paid version) by Cakefight

I was not able to test the Suduko script since I did not have the paid version, but I assume it's the same as the free version.

To test these out before the Save/restore app is updated:

1. Grab the specific script from the ZIP File
    2. Put your phone in Developer Mode and load up webOS Quick Install
    3. Select Tools - Send a File. For "File", just select the script you want to install. For "Destination Folder", put in: /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    4. Load up the Save/Restore app, and they should be there!

Please let me know if you find any issues with these scripts

Adam
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    I will be working on a script to save files that would normally be set with webOS Quick Install Tweaks, such as "boot logos", "Lock screen background", "lock icon", etc. If anyone has any ideas or specific files they would like to be backed up, please let me know.

Thanks
    Adam

Like any of my work:
    alot of images used in themes are stored in

/usr/palm/sysmgr/images

this location includes inages such as the pulsing logos, the clock numbers (when screen is locked) the lock icon, things like that.
    Know your Webos-Internals members:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WhoIsWho
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Here are 2 more scripts for Save/Restore. With all the 1.4.5 news, it will probably be a few days before these get added to the actual App, but i wanted to let everyone have these now.

1) Preware -- updated script to save your Custom Feeds.
    2) Sudoku (paid version) by Cakefight

I was not able to test the Suduko script since I did not have the paid version, but I assume it's the same as the free version.

To test these out before the Save/restore app is updated:

1. Grab the specific script from the ZIP File
    2. Put your phone in Developer Mode and load up webOS Quick Install
    3. Select Tools - Send a File. For "File", just select the script you want to install. For "Destination Folder", put in: /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    4. Load up the Save/Restore app, and they should be there!

Please let me know if you find any issues with these scripts

Adam
    I will get these on my pre and test them and the other previously listed things tomorrow. I am going out of town the next four days, fortunately someone else is doing the driving, so I can occupy the time working on testing and such on my pre.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Wow I'm still on v. 0.8.2 ... When will that get updated??
  8.    #408  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Wow I'm still on v. 0.8.2 ... When will that get updated??
    Update your Preware feeds ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I thought my Preware got updated on everystart guess I was wrong. I added the testing feeds, that's when I saw the update so I thought it was the testing version. Guess my brain haven't woke up yet
    FYI, I found another issue with the Launcher script that caused it not to save if you did not have any web bookmark add-to-launcher icons. (StoneRyno, this may explain why you did not get a successful restore)

Rod found a fix for this issue and will be pushing an update out right now (0.9.3, which should already be available).... once this update is published, please re-save your launcher icons in the app!

Like any of my work:
    FYI, I found another issue with the Launcher script that caused it not to save if you did not have any web bookmark add-to-launcher icons. (StoneRyno, this may explain why you did not get a successful restore)

Rod found a fix for this issue and will be pushing an update out right now (0.9.3, which should already be available).... once this update is published, please re-save your launcher icons in the app!
    I will test this along with the other apps. The ride out of town was tough so I didn't test the stuff I had planned on testing. As soon as I catch up on posts in the threads I'm following I'll do the test and report back.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I thought my Preware got updated on everystart guess I was wrong. I added the testing feeds, that's when I saw the update so I thought it was the testing version. Guess my brain haven't woke up yet
    I thought it updated feeds everytime you open Preware? Is that not right?
    Adam, I've been quiet for the last few days because I haven't been at my pc.
    Anyway I should have more time now.

I have a working script for Back Of The Net attached.

However I am having trouble getting the scripts for Fall-E/Fall-E Pro working.
    The only data I can find for the two are in the cookies.db but following the tutorial I am unable to get a working script for it. If I attach the two scripts would you be able to take a look at the free Fall-E app to see what I am doing wrong?

If you can spot my error with Fall-E, I should be able to sort out and test Fall-E Pro.

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    I thought it updated feeds everytime you open Preware? Is that not right?
    Beach, open up Preware, go into preferences and you will see the option to update everytime/once a day/manually/etc.
    Test complete launcher icon positions were restored to where they were before I uninstalled the apps for this test:

Sudoku (paid version by cakefight)

Restore went perfectly. My current game in progress was ready and waiting for me to continue it. Not sure if the background choice was but I hardly pay attention to it so I don't remember what it was set to. It is changed using a hotkey instead of a settings scene.

Govnah

Restored the profile list I had prior to the uninstall: default screenstate 500/800, fix speed 800, fix speed 720, fix speed 600, and palm default; but didn't restore the custom one I named something like test for restore. It was set just like the fixed 800 with compcache on set to 32MB and I had deleted the fixed 800 after. It did remember I had compcache on and set to 32MB. Perhaps I had goofed in my test?Settings restored correctly. Also the new default profile uberkernel default or something like that was present on reinstall but was gone after restore performed. I am going to uninstall and reinstall to give govnah a fresh start and turn on compcache and set it to 32MB so I can test it again later.

Scoop

Not sure if it was supposed to backup something so I didn't have to enter account info to log in. If it was it didn't as I had to enter my login info. Otherwise it looks the same as it did before I uninstalled.

SplashID

Restore went perfectly. I setup a dummy password to initialize it after reinstall and it propegated the list with sample items. After restore my real password and list existed and the sample items removed as I had originally done once I added all of my items.

Tweed

Restore went perfectly. Upon opening after restore took place it was as if I had never uninstalled the app. Initial opening of the app to initialize it prior to restore it went through the stuff one expects to see with first use. Of course I just sped through that and left it at the add account point.

I wonder if I could have skipped some of that stuff and just opened and closed the apps without doing any first use stuff? Or perhaps if the initialization of opening the apps may not been needed?

I'll have to test preware backup and restore when I get back home. I have no network access for my netbook to install it again once I uninstall it to do the test.

are you familiar with the "save package list"? that is
    Hopefully I will not have to test the functionality of the feature in a real situation until after I can restore messages. For some reason I like to have them on hand. I never know when I have to look through them. Though the html file is good if I have no option and end up in a situation. When the next device comes out save/restore and the saved package list will get the ultimate test to get me all my stuff as it is on my pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    However I am having trouble getting the scripts for Fall-E/Fall-E Pro working.
    The only data I can find for the two are in the cookies.db but following the tutorial I am unable to get a working script for it. If I attach the two scripts would you be able to take a look at the free Fall-E app to see what I am doing wrong?

If you can spot my error with Fall-E, I should be able to sort out and test Fall-E Pro.

Thank you
    Ok, so the script is actually working perfectly... first, did u do a luna restart after restoring the script? In many cases, when you do a cookies-based-restore, the existing (pre-restore) cookie can often get cached by the OS nd you need to do a restart to activate the restored cookie. however, even with that, i did noticed that the way this developer is using cookies, it can cause odd things to happen with the restore. here are the details:

1) I played the game once, got a high score of 153 and gave the name "Aaa". here were all the cookies that I found for this app:

name value
    Code:
    mojo_cookie_falle_flag	%22false%22
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_0_points	153
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_0_name	%22Aaa%22
    mojo_cookie_highscore_last_name	%22Aaa%22
    2) Then, I played some more and got 2 more high scores: Bbb for 12 and Ccc for 190

Code:
    name	value
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_1_points	153
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_1_name	%22Aaa%22
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_2_points	12
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_2_name	%22Bbb%22
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_0_points	190
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_0_name	%22Ccc%22
    mojo_cookie_highscore_last_name	%22Ccc%22
    So, it identifies the "top" score as "mojo_cookie_highscore_0_0_points", the next as "mojo_cookie_highscore_0_1_points", etc.

3) When, I did a "restore" of my original high scores (in #1 above). after the restore, let's look at the cookies:

Code:
    name	value
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_1_points	153
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_1_name	%22Aaa%22
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_2_points	12
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_2_name	%22Bbb%22
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_0_points	153
    mojo_cookie_highscore_0_0_name	%22Aaa%22
    mojo_cookie_highscore_last_name	%22Aaa%22
    You can see that it only really updated those 3 rows in red, and kept the other 4 rows. So, when i looked at the high scores, it shows Aaa 153 for 1st and 2nd Place, and Bbb 12 for 3rd place. do u understand why that is? For me, this is an annoyance, but not a major issue because at least it restored what I wanted. but...

4) I then tried to do a clean uninstall / reinstall of the App to see how that is handled. after the restore, it shows just the one line for "Aaa 153" that was from the original "save" point.

So, i think this is working just fine. if you run into an issue where you think the restore wasnt working, always try to do the restore, and then immediately do a luna restart...don't open the app to check if it worked, just do a restart.

anyway, what do you think of my explanation?

Like any of my work:
    anyway, what do you think of my explanation?
    Awesome.

I think I can see why you get that 3rd highscore. The restore only rewrites the files that it has saved, so because there are only 2 highscores in the save file, the new 3rd highscore is not touched. Therefore a 'true' restore of Fall-E would only take place if the saved file had greater or equal the amount of highscores in the current cookies file.

Anyway, I thought I had tried with a luna but must not have done it right the first time, anyway it has worked now for me.
    I will test out the Fall-E Pro script now and hopefully get that to you soon.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by pip smith; 07/02/2010 at 05:59 PM.
    Attached is a working script for Fall-E Pro.
    The only issue I have is that, like you mentioned, because of the way the dev has chosen to save the files you are unable to restore to a lesser state without deleting and reinstalling the app and then doing the restore. But I don't think many people use save-restore for that.
    I also needed to do a luna restart to get the saved data up.

Here is also the script for Timepiece. Again it needed a luna restart. I will get into some more tomorrow but as for now I am off to sleep.
    Last edited by pip smith; 07/02/2010 at 06:00 PM.
    Save/Restore 0.9.3 (running on the Emulator running webOS 1.4.5-465) was able to properly save and restore data for Outline Tracker and Outline Tracker Free, provided they were not running. Is there provision in Save/Restore to close an app before saving or restoring its data?
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    Save/Restore 0.9.3 (running on the Emulator running webOS 1.4.5-465) was able to properly save and restore data for Outline Tracker and Outline Tracker Free, provided they were not running. Is there provision in Save/Restore to close an app before saving or restoring its data?
    I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to force close an app like that. But I guess it may depend on the app. It might be a better idea to have a check of some sort to advize the user the app is open. Personally I run save/restore at boot up using mode switcher and do my backup with the daily reset. That way I don't run into any odd ball situations or forget to do the backup.