Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Rod, I'm not arguing with you about backing up actual applications But how is it a copyright infringement? I was under belief that a person is allowed to make a "Back-up" copy of an application. Computer backup software backs up applications if desired. An example of why someone might WANT to backup the application. What if someone has version 1.0 of a program. You backup the data. When you have to doctor your phone and re-install software the software is now at 2.0 but the developer is charging a fee to upgrade to it. It would be nice to be able to install 1.0 and restore the data for it. It is also possible that to restore the data it will restore to 1.0 but not to 2.0. Where as 1.0 can be upgraded to 2.0 and retain data.

Another thought, It might be good to record the version of the software that it was backed up from. If your pulling data from a SQL Lite DB maybe it would be possible to pull the schema, and record it. Then compare the schema before restoring the data. While a schema change might be very rare, this did happen once with the messaging DB if I recall.

Just some thoughts. Looks good.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    This is why all other phone pale in comparison. We have THE most incredibile development community EVER.

Thanks!
  3.    #23  
    Save/Restore 0.3.1 is now in the WebOS Internals testing feed, and seems to be quite functional. Alpha testers are welcome to try it out, but still be aware that there is a chance of lost data.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/26/2010 at 07:46 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Awesome, will check it out today (I've been looking for something to back up SplashID!).
    JT
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Very nice

I never knew that cookies were backed up though o.O
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Very nice

I never knew that cookies were backed up though o.O
    Oh, I could easily be wrong about that. Anyone with hard evidence either way?

I found old cookies which refererenced /var for applications after a 1.4 doctor, so I'm assuming they are backed up in the Palm Profile.

-- Rod
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
    Awesome, will check it out today (I've been looking for something to back up SplashID!).
    Please test it out, without trusting it to work, and let us know the result.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I'd like to put in a formal request for dungeon hunter. I can try and help provide save information if you need it.
  9.    #29  
    Save/Restore 0.3.4 is now in the WebOS Internals testing feed, and is now ready for general alpha testing. Alpha testers are welcome to try it out, but still be aware that there is a chance of lost data.

Big thanks to AnOutsider and pretomcat for help with the UI.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/28/2010 at 08:54 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Cool I'm about to have to doctor my Pre because the new facebook app is failing. This'll really help.
    Rod,

This is just AWESOME....(and Preware ROCKS!)
    BUT...I see that we are going down the path to be able to store application data etc. Maybe I am thinking too far off base, but wouldn't this be a great way to lead into a way to present a formal backup solution for other items such as Contacts etc? I mean it might not start off as a syncing solution but at least it might be able ot grab the information off properly in a format that you could just go back into the USB drive manually and then copy that save/restore image of you contacts back into the original location and have a guaranteed method of backing up your contacts mainly for backup purposes only (to start off with, maybe a two-way hotsync solution later).

Am I thinking too far out of the box? And I do realize that baby steps are needed to properly implement any solution, but just wanting to see if maybe I am misunderstanding how data is stored for applications versus the contacts and such.

Again thanks for the web internals efforts as Palm would be nowhere without you guys (and PreCentral).
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Rod,

Will the end-user have the ability to add his/her own backup script/s without editing code? Meaning.. through the UI?

Just curious if that is something in the works.
    Tell me what I need to do to support My Home Keyboard.
    Every time I doctor my Pre I have to reprogram the keyboard all over again.

webOS Developer
    Rod - one question for you about some backup functionality I was thinking about. I have one launcher page that is set up with just links to webpages (that I did by the "add the launcher" function in the web browser. Anytime I doctor or exchange my phone, I lose ALL of these launcher links. It takes me a long time to add these since I try to find the perfect icon to go with the site and it's a time consuming process...

so, any way to backup those added-to-launcher websites to be restored in case of a doctor/device swap?

thanks, as always
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Rod,

This is just AWESOME....(and Preware ROCKS!)
    BUT...I see that we are going down the path to be able to store application data etc. Maybe I am thinking too far off base, but wouldn't this be a great way to lead into a way to present a formal backup solution for other items such as Contacts etc? I mean it might not start off as a syncing solution but at least it might be able ot grab the information off properly in a format that you could just go back into the USB drive manually and then copy that save/restore image of you contacts back into the original location and have a guaranteed method of backing up your contacts mainly for backup purposes only (to start off with, maybe a two-way hotsync solution later).

Am I thinking too far out of the box? And I do realize that baby steps are needed to properly implement any solution, but just wanting to see if maybe I am misunderstanding how data is stored for applications versus the contacts and such.

Again thanks for the web internals efforts as Palm would be nowhere without you guys (and PreCentral).
    The architecture supports such use cases. Extracting the contact data should be reasonably straight-forward (it'll probably be much like the messaging saverestore script), but re-insertion into the live database is a very complex area which I'm not going to enter at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    Rod,

Will the end-user have the ability to add his/her own backup script/s without editing code? Meaning.. through the UI?

Just curious if that is something in the works.
    We're thinking of a submission system along the lines of the existing patch submission system.

Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    Tell me what I need to do to support My Home Keyboard.
    Every time I doctor my Pre I have to reprogram the keyboard all over again.
    You need to work out where it stores it's data. Our put up a bounty for another developer to work on it like I mentioned in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Rod - one question for you about some backup functionality I was thinking about. I have one launcher page that is set up with just links to webpages (that I did by the "add the launcher" function in the web browser. Anytime I doctor or exchange my phone, I lose ALL of these launcher links. It takes me a long time to add these since I try to find the perfect icon to go with the site and it's a time consuming process...

so, any way to backup those added-to-launcher websites to be restored in case of a doctor/device swap?

thanks, as always
    The key thing is to work out where that data is stored.

-- Rod
  16.    #36  
    Save/Restore 0.4.5 is now in the WebOS Internals testing feed, and is now considered a public release candidate. Beta testers should try it out, but as always do not trust it to be your only backup of data.

Over the weekend I completely revamped the user interface

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/29/2010 at 10:31 PM.
    Hrm, so you just need to find where it stores the save data, and then what else? Should I just look at pre-existing scripts? Looking forward to a patch submission portal... have plenty of currently unsupported apps I'd be happy to add bounty free.

Also, cookies are definitely stored. I was super confused when login info remained for certain applications post full erase + doctor... but, I've decided I dig it :>
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Forgive my stupidity but i have the webos internals testing feed already loaded (running Preware version 9.31, all feeds updated at launch) but i can't find save/restore anywhere?

Can somewhere steer me to where it is located or what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
    OMG this day is going to finally come, Big thanks guys, for all you do!!!!
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    Forgive my stupidity but i have the webos internals testing feed already loaded (running Preware version 9.31, all feeds updated at launch) but i can't find save/restore anywhere?

Can somewhere steer me to where it is located or what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
    What URLs (there should be two - all and armv7 for the Pre, armv6 for the Pixi, or i686 for the emulator) are listed in your webos-internals-testing.conf file?

-- Rod
Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567 12 52 ... LastLast