Page 18 of 93 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 1848
Like Tree18Likes
  1. #341  
    Ok..so people asked for a walk thru of making a script...here is my attempt at a complete walk thru. note that the script itself i create here does not work..its just a sample of what you would do. let me know if you have any questions. And each script is a little different and you may need to make some changes, but for the most part, this should help. Also, this is for Windows users (that is what I am on), but I am sure it can be modified for others

    Programs you will need:


    also, you will need access to the webOS command prompt . I highly recommend using the Windows Command prompt to get there, and not use the command prompt from webOS QI. I did this by installing the Palm SDK (SDK Download - Palm Developer Center )

    Finally, I suggest you take a look at this site: git.webos-internals.org Git - applications/saverestore.git/tree - scripts/ and get familiar with some existing scripts (note that when writing scripts, you do NOT include the line #s on each script)

    Once this is done, you are ready to get started.

    Starting steps:
    1) Put your phone in Developer Mode, connect to the Computer, and select “Just Charge”
    2) Load up webOS Quick Install
    3) open up 2 windows command prompts (you can do this by clicking on “Start”, “Run” then type “cmd”, then do it again)

    Now, here is what you need to do
    1) Use the App you want to create the script for for a little while. If it’s a game, make sure you get through a few levels. If it’s an app, make sure you load it up and make some changes in the app
    2) in one command prompt, type in “novacom -t open tty://” to get to the phone’s command prompt.
    3) in the other windows command prompt, change to the directory that you installed “tofrodos”
    4) you need to figure out the App ID of the application that you are trying to create the script for. There are a few ways to do this, but the easiest is to open up the save/restore app, click on “install applications” and find the app and copy the App ID (e.g. Facebook = “com.palm.app.facebook”). You can also use webOS Quick Install's Device Management window
    5) When you write a script, there are 4 types of saves that you may need:
    Files, Cookies, Databases, Query (but you will RARELY use the Query version)
    • Files = Save specific files. Usually only used for PDK Apps
    • Cookies = Almost all non-PDK apps use cookies to save details
    • Databases = If any app saves a lot of user-entered data (vs games that may just keep your progress of what level you reached), it probably uses a Database

    6) To check to see if you need to save specific files, in the Phone’s command prompt window, you want to check the files in the apps directory. Using facebook as an example, type in:
    Code:
    ls -l -r -t /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.facebook
    This will give you a listing of all files, the “-l” will give you DETAILED view, “-t” sorts in chronological order, and “-r” give you the newest file on the bottom. Look to see if anything was changed with a timestamp of when you last used the app. Note that sometimes, the app may have a subdirectory that you need to check. You can tell if something is a directory if the attributes have a “d” in the beginning. (E.g. “sample” below is a directory, “file” is not)
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Mar 19 19:58 sample
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1482572 Mar 19 19:58 file
    if there are more directories, you may need to look in them. E.g. in the “sample” directory above, you would then need to
    Code:
    ls -l -r –t /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.facebook/sample
    and look to see there are any files in there you need. If there are files, mark down the DIRECTORY and ALL Files you need

    7) To check to see if the app uses a Cookie or a database, the easiest way is to use webOS Quick Install, select “Tools” – “Receive File”, and get the following 2 files:
    Code:
    /var/palm/data/Databases.db
    /var/palm/data/cookies.db
    Then, open each one of these databases (with SQLite Database Browser) and do a search for the application to see if it has an entry. If it does, then you know you need to backup the database and/or the cookie
    8) so, now you are ready to write your script. Lets assume its for facebook application. So, the name of the script will be “com.palm.app.facebook”

    Each script will start off with the following (replace “Name of program” with the name of the program)

    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    
    APPID=`basename $0`
    APPNAME="NAME OF PROGRAM"
    
    source `dirname $0`/srf.app.info
    Lets assume that you have all 3 situations for your app (2 files: “facebook.dat and pref.dat”, in the “\sample” directory), database, and cookies.

    For the file section :

    Code:
    SRCDIR="$APPDIR/sample"
    FILES=" facebook.dat pref.dat"
    
    source `dirname $0`/srf.app.files
    For the Database:
    Code:
    source `dirname $0`/srf.app.databases
    For the cookies:
    Code:
    source `dirname $0`/srf.app.cookies
    Then always end with:
    Code:
    exit 0
    So, the final script would look like :

    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    
    APPID=`basename $0`
    APPNAME="NAME OF PROGRAM"
    
    source `dirname $0`/srf.app.info
    
    SRCDIR="$APPDIR/sample"
    FILES=" facebook.dat pref.dat"
    
    source `dirname $0`/srf.app.files
    
    source `dirname $0`/srf.app.databases
    
    source `dirname $0`/srf.app.cookies
    
    exit 0
    • Note that if the there was NOT a “sample” subdirectory, you would just write: SRCDIR="$APPDIR"
    • Also, please make sure there is an extra “Hard Return” after “exit 0”


    So, now you have a script. However, because of the way the Windows treats Line Endings is different than how Linux treats line endings, you need to do the following:
    1) Copy the script to the directory that you have the “tofrodos” application. If windows added a “.txt” to the filename, make sure you remove that. Then, in the 2nd windows command prompt (the one where you changed to the “tofrodos” folder), you need to run the following command: “Fromdos scriptname”. So, for the example above:
    Code:
    Fromdos com.palm.app.facebook
    2) using webOS Quickinstall, select “Tools” – “Send File” and send this file to:
    Code:
    /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    3) In the Linux command prompt, make sure you are in the root directory (just in case, you can write “cd /”) and then run the following command (using the facebook example) to make the file executable
    Code:
    chmod ugo+x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.palm.app.facebook
    4) then, first test out the code by typing:
    Code:
    sh -x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.palm.app.facebook info
    with the “info” tag, I use this just to make sure that the code can recognize the script. If you get anything other than “exit 0” at the end, something is wrong!
    5) if the “info” works, try running a “save”
    Code:
    sh -x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.palm.app.facebook save
    again, if you see anything other than “exit 0” at the end, then something went wrong. It’s hard to tell you what went wrong without seeing it, but something went wrong
    6) go into the app and make changes. Play some more, delete some items, etc
    7) back at the command prompt, run the “restore”
    Code:
    sh -x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/com.palm.app.facebook restore
    again, if you see anything other than “exit 0” at the end, then something went wrong.

    At this point, try loading up the app and see if it reset the app back to the “save” position. If it did NOT, then it could be an issue where the cookies were cached by the device and it just wasn’t updating. Close out of the app, run the “restore” command again, and then IMMEDIATELY do a Luna Restart. When it’s back on, open the app and see if it worked

    If this worked, then try loading up the save/restore app on the device and make sure that the save and restore works that way, too.

    Don’t forget to replace the “com.palm.app.facebook” name in the example above with your app name you need.

    FINAL STEP (thanks Rod for the reminder): Post the script here so we can add it to the app!
    Last edited by Audemars02; 06/22/2010 at 04:58 PM.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  2.    #342  
    Last step: contribute the script back into this forum thread so it can be added to the app.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Last step: contribute the script back into this forum thread so it can be added to the app.

    -- Rod
    d'oh...i added that as the final step.

    did i miss anything or did that look good to you?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  4. #344  
    Here's a list of things to backed up with save/restore
    Browser cookies (if not backed up with palms backup)
    Browser history (if not backed up with palms backup)
    Browser bookmarks (if not backed up with palms backup)
    System settings (mode switcher)
    Call logs
    STC
    Sudoku cakefight free
    Milage monitor free
    Crossword light standalone
    iStayFit
    Keep score free
    Timesheet
    Battery monitor
    Bible youversion
    Preset reset
    Some of these have paid versions that include additional features or other things if anyone using the paid versions could volunteer a small amount of time or bounty to see them added.

    With all this said I wonder if save/restore could be modified to be like cleanup/uninstall manager was for palmOS, it monitored changes and recognized when anything added new files or modified files. Perhaps save/restore can do something similar to aid in the current function and process? I have no idea how their apps worked from the code side but they were very handy and the ability to recognise new and altered files from apps would make save/restore capable of knowing what to back up without having to manually add each app perhaps.

    Alternatively a built in submittal process could be used to automate things for users to submit the data needed. Also perhaps updating users with newly added or modified support by some sort of feed like preware. Basically automate as much of the process as possible. The easier it is the more users who will take an active roll in the process. Obviously the end result desired is to make every app that saves settings and/or data be backed up for peace of mind in the event anything happens that a restore is needed.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  5. #345  
    I didn't see it on the git so tried a script myself.

    I followed Audemars02's guide for creating the script and tested restore by both the command line and also through the save/restore app and both come back good for me.

    I also did a profile and option change within the app and it succesfully restored the original so I don't think I have missed anything.

    But please, if anyone has the game, test it out and let me know if you have any problems.

    Do I need to submit this anywhere, could not see anything on the first post about it so am just assuming I post it here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/23/2010 at 07:41 PM.
  6.    #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Here's a list of things to backed up with save/restore
    Browser cookies (if not backed up with palms backup)
    Browser history (if not backed up with palms backup)
    Browser bookmarks (if not backed up with palms backup)
    System settings (mode switcher)
    Call logs
    STC
    Sudoku cakefight free
    Milage monitor free
    Crossword light standalone
    iStayFit
    Keep score free
    Timesheet
    Battery monitor
    Bible youversion
    Preset reset
    Some of these have paid versions that include additional features or other things if anyone using the paid versions could volunteer a small amount of time or bounty to see them added.

    With all this said I wonder if save/restore could be modified to be like cleanup/uninstall manager was for palmOS, it monitored changes and recognized when anything added new files or modified files. Perhaps save/restore can do something similar to aid in the current function and process? I have no idea how their apps worked from the code side but they were very handy and the ability to recognise new and altered files from apps would make save/restore capable of knowing what to back up without having to manually add each app perhaps.

    Alternatively a built in submittal process could be used to automate things for users to submit the data needed. Also perhaps updating users with newly added or modified support by some sort of feed like preware. Basically automate as much of the process as possible. The easier it is the more users who will take an active roll in the process. Obviously the end result desired is to make every app that saves settings and/or data be backed up for peace of mind in the event anything happens that a restore is needed.
    The second proposal is already on the roadmap.

    The missing ingredient is actually an experienced mojo developer to write the code.

    I have been trying to recuit a mojo develop to add a spam app filter feature to Preware for months now. No-one has stepped forward.

    Find me a mojo developer, and we can do these things.

    -- Rod
  7. #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The second proposal is already on the roadmap.

    The missing ingredient is actually an experienced mojo developer to write the code.

    I have been trying to recuit a mojo develop to add a spam app filter feature to Preware for months now. No-one has stepped forward.

    Find me a mojo developer, and we can do these things.

    -- Rod
    I'll do my best to keep a look out for one or more developers. I too am in a boat where things I want to do are beyond my knowledge of the languages as they pertain to webOS developments and have been having a hard time tracking down more education resources to teach me more advanced stuff. Is there any mass publicity outlet we can use to get the word out for one or more devs to help? I'm not sure what methods or outlets have been used so far.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  8. #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I didn't see it on the git so tried a script myself.

    I followed Audemars02's guide for creating the script and tested restore by both the command line and also through the save/restore app and both come back good for me.

    I also did a profile and option change within the app and it succesfully restored the original so I don't think I have missed anything.

    But please, if anyone has the game, test it out and let me know if you have any problems.

    Do I need to submit this anywhere, could not see anything on the first post about it so am just assuming I post it here.
    Congrats!! Hope my guide was easy to follow. As for submitting this, for now just post them on this forum. Then, either Rod or I will pick them up and add them to the application... (Rod, anything to add?)

    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  9. #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Here's a list of things to backed up with save/restore
    Browser cookies (if not backed up with palms backup)
    Browser history (if not backed up with palms backup)
    Browser bookmarks (if not backed up with palms backup)
    System settings (mode switcher)
    Call logs
    STC
    Sudoku cakefight free
    Milage monitor free
    Crossword light standalone
    iStayFit
    Keep score free
    Timesheet
    Battery monitor
    Bible youversion
    Preset reset
    Some of these have paid versions that include additional features or other things if anyone using the paid versions could volunteer a small amount of time or bounty to see them added.
    I will see what I can do with these over the next few days, since most seem to be free... one thing that would be really helpful is if you could tell me if these were Homebrew, App Catalog, Web catalog, or Beta catalog apps... that way I know where to look for them
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  10.    #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Congrats!! Hope my guide was easy to follow. As for submitting this, for now just post them on this forum. Then, either Rod or I will pick them up and add them to the application... (Rod, anything to add?)

    Adam
    Nothing to add here. Very glad that we now have one more Save/Restore contributor ready to accept bounty payments for creating new scripts

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. #351  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Congrats!! Hope my guide was easy to follow. As for submitting this, for now just post them on this forum. Then, either Rod or I will pick them up and add them to the application... (Rod, anything to add?)

    Adam
    Put it this way, if my script works for everyone else then your guide is magic!! Your guide was super easy to follow. Thank you again for it.

    Has anyone done Fall-e yet because I'm thinking of doing this next if it hasn't been done?

    I might also try to do some of the basic ones on StoneRyno's list over the next few days if I get time.
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/23/2010 at 08:18 PM.
  12. #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Nothing to add here. Very glad that we now have one more Save/Restore contributor ready to accept bounty payments for creating new scripts

    -- Rod
    I don't know how great I will be at this script writing but if I do manage one that has a bounty then could you please ask that they send it as a donation to webos-internals.
    Thanks
  13. #353  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Put it this way, if my script works for everyone else then your guide is magic!! Your guide was super easy to follow. Thank you again for it.

    Has anyone done Fall-e yet because I'm thinking of doing this next if it hasn't been done?

    I might also try to do some of the basic ones on StoneRyno's list over the next few days if I get time.
    No, Fall-e has not been taken yet. do me a favor... please post here as you start to work on any scripts, so we do not both work on a script..i will do the same

    also, it's a nit, but please make sure to do a hard-return after the final "exit 0" line. the script will work fine without it, but it causes other issues downstream.

    thanks
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  14. #354  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    No, Fall-e has not been taken yet. do me a favor... please post here as you start to work on any scripts, so we do not both work on a script..i will do the same

    also, it's a nit, but please make sure to do a hard-return after the final "exit 0" line. the script will work fine without it, but it causes other issues downstream.

    thanks
    Adam
    Abssolutely. Please consider my current project as fall-e

    By hard return do we mean just a enter to get the cursor on a new line after the exit 0? If so then consider it done.
  15. #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I will see what I can do with these over the next few days, since most seem to be free... one thing that would be really helpful is if you could tell me if these were Homebrew, App Catalog, Web catalog, or Beta catalog apps... that way I know where to look for them
    I'm not sure if there is away to save/restore system settings without mode switcher but having both ways of save/restore the system settings would be great. I'm also not sure if there are any settings not handled with mode switcher. On top of all the other neat stuff you can make profiles for with the app.

    Homebrew:

    System settings (mode switcher)
    STC (sharethecost)
    Battery monitor
    Preset reset

    App Catalog:

    Sudoku cakefight free
    Milage monitor free
    Crossword light standalone
    iStayFit
    Keep score free
    Timesheet
    Bible youversion
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  16. #356  
    Save/Restore 0.8.5 in the testing feed.

    Applications: Govnah (Now supports saving of profiles), Net2Streams Pro, Assassins Creed, Thought Bubble, Giant Fighting Robots, Jump O Clock, Real Tennis, Tiger Woods PGA Tour
    Also, this improves the support for Add-to-Launcher icons (e.g. browser, launchpoints, contacts), and allows save/restore when these type of icons are not present.

    Thanks for user the2ndflood for requesting and paying the bounty for Net2Streams Pro, Assassins Creed, Giant Fighting Robots, and Real Tennis. Also, thanks to user jhoff80 for providing the details for Tiger Woods PGA Tour. There are a few scripts posted in the forum that did not make it into this version, but will get in soon

    Please test the above scripts and let us know what you find. As I did not have the launchpoints app, I was not able to test for it, but that should work the same as the others.

    NOTE: Please be patient with the launcher "save" and "restore". if you have a lot of icons, this can take a while. I have over a dozen and it took my over a minute to "save" them all

    NOTE 2: Anyone interested in getting access to the testing feed, follow the instructions here: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  17. #357  
    0.8.5 test run on my sprint pre, webOS 1.4.1.1, UK -50, govnah 0.4.12:

    I don't think it saved govnah stuff correctly. The toggle remained in the on position and the reports the following in it's item in the list:

    Archive not saved
    cookies.sql
    /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    org.webosinternals.govnah: source: line
    10: can't open driname
    $0/srf.app.databases

    Everything else appears to be saved toggles all switched to off and indicated the stuff I'm accustomed to seeing and appears to match the files ineach apps directory in the /media/internal/saverestore directory.

    Oh last but not least I had a brain fart and forgot I spent my months budget and bought three more apps Notes by inglorious app, Twee, and feeds by delicious morsel. Twee I assume would be similar to the stuff saved for tweed. As for feeds it has the ability get the feeds for offline viewing which I will assume may be something users will want to have a backup. Not sure what else I just bought it and there is an authentication issue with google reader which is where all my feeds are contained. Twee and feeds also have a free version.

    According to notes help info:
    Backing up your notes:

    While connected in USB drive mode copy the folder called "file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.ingloriousapss.notes_0" located in the ".app-storage" directory. I assume the directory can be processed by save/restore to add support for it. To restore the notes is the reverse of the backup process copy that folder to the ".app-storage" directory. Also notes override if necessary. I assume it would be necessary if restoring to overwrite an existing copy with a backup copy.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  18.    #358  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    0.8.5 test run on my sprint pre, webOS 1.4.1.1, UK -50, govnah 0.4.12:

    I don't think it saved govnah stuff correctly. The toggle remained in the on position and the reports the following in it's item in the list:

    Archive not saved
    cookies.sql
    /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    org.webosinternals.govnah: source: line
    10: can't open driname
    $0/srf.app.databases
    Fixed in 0.8.6

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19.    #359  
    Just a heads up that the next version of Save/Restore will have a major change in the format of the storage of the save files.

    Currently, the files are stored as-is in directories, and the media indexer sees things like icons and such, and displays them in the Photos app. A sub-optimal solution.

    So, Save/Restore 0.9.0 will store the archives as zip files. This will hide the constituent files from the media indexer, and will also make it easier for you to transfer individual archives from the USB drive. Zip files are also readable natively on Linux, MacOSX and Windows.

    I've designed this in such a way that the save/restore scripts that are being written are not required to be modified in any way. So the instructions that Adam posted earlier still apply without any changes as a result of this change in the underlying storage format.

    Note that Save/Restore will now have two dependencies - Zip and UnZip. Both will be automatically installed by Preware (you should always use Preware to install things, cause WebOS Quick Install does not automatically follow dependencies like these).

    Should be up in the testing feed in the next couple of hours. This will be a *real* alpha version, so you should give it some serious testing before trusting it in any way.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. #360  
    rod - did some prelim testing. A few apps worked well... But I tried the Launcher script and "save" worked fine, but the restore ONLY backed up the user dock positions file. None of the launchpoints or db file was restore. I am not near a computer so can't get you any more details right now, but will see what I can get later tonight

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions