Page 17 of 93 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    The exact error and behavior is in my posts. My reason for the questions is to asertain functionality occurring in code that as a tester I don't see. There is a file in the launcher folder which I have no idea if it actually contains the required info to restore. Due to the fact the end user experience does not gracefully provide feedback. It appears as if it completely fails for the reason previously stated. My aim was with feedback from the designer of the script or code for that part where the code execution halted due to no special launcher icons.

Basically I can outline how it should deal with backup for users who don't have the special icons so as to avoid it looking like it failed completely. This is assuming that it has succeeded in partly backing up the icons that do exist. Basically a error catch is needed to run to gracefully arrive at the toggle switching to off if a successful backup occurs in situations where no special icons are present. This way end users don't think it completely failed. But since I don't know where the current error output resides in the process and how it exits I don't know if I can help with specifics.
    Thanks mate. You know I was just pulling your leg - you're one of the people who do give good bug reports

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Thanks mate. You know I was just pulling your leg - you're one of the people who do give good bug reports

-- Rod
    I was replying from the full site on my pre while on the tread mill at the gym and didn't realize who had posted the replies to my replies. I just wanted to make sure I don't leave any details out etc. Do let me know if there is anything specific I can do on my end to pin point aspects of the process that complete or don't complete. It is my hope that between this project, preware package list thing, palms backup stuff, that this will be as close to the old palmOS backup stuff we had which made it as if nothing happened to need to restore the device.

I used backupman which was fast and simply amazed me as it was more or less like imaging an HD and using it to restore a PC if the HD goes bad or something requiring such measures. So far the only things missing are restore capability of messaging for me to feel as comfortable with doing stupid stuff with my pre like I did on my palmOS devices resulting in the need to restore. I don't have many memos so it isn't a big deal right now for me to simply copy paste them back. I'd offer to help make the restore possible but I'm afraid it is beyond my current knowledge but I certainly can offer to assist others in what aspects I can to make it happen.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Would it be possible to have an option that would enable auto saving for the apps listed?

Preware would be a great app to enable this on. When I got a replacement Pre, I had been using Save/Restore to backup most stuff, but I forgot to run it before I swapped devices. Missing some stuff, but dealt with it. Loading Preware and Save/Restore on the replacement device saved me a lot of time getting back most of my stuff.

At least for me, having Preware auto save would be great.

Thanks for the great work/apps/patches guys.
    Will be sending another donation when payday rolls around.

Regards.
    rwhitby can we request the free apps be added I spoke with spdsktr the developer of free music ringtones and he has added some new features that would be great if they were able to restored upon doctoring or whatever. I asked him and he told me to ask the webos internals team.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Anychance of this being added to the Preware Save/Restore app? It would be great to not have to go through the process of searching and hitting download to let it see it in the database each time.
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Ask the internals guys if they can add it. It's freeware, so anyone can get the app and the things they need to add this.
    Is there a tutorial or anything on the wiki for someone to attempt to try to make this happen I think I remember seeing something helping people out that wanted to try to make the save/restore points. Thanks!
    rwhitby can we request the free apps be added I spoke with spdsktr the developer of free music ringtones and he has added some new features that would be great if they were able to restored upon doctoring or whatever. I asked him and he told me to ask the webos internals team.

Is there a tutorial or anything on the wiki for someone to attempt to try to make this happen I think I remember seeing something helping people out that wanted to try to make the save/restore points. Thanks!
    I will be working on writing some scripts this morning and will try to add Free Ringtones to that...

as for a tutorial, I would suggest you start reading through some of the previous threads where rod walked me through a LOT of the steps.. Then, if you have questions, post them here or contact Rod (or me) directly. Good luck
    Thanks I was looking for those threads I guess I need to start back at post 1 and read on from there.
    Thanks I was looking for those threads I guess I need to start back at post 1 and read on from there.
    when I get back to my PC later today,i will try to send some links and tips... One question: are you using windows or another OS?
    Windows xp
    Shoot me the tips too please. Many apps I would love to see added. need to doctor my device sometime in the near future too, so I can use all of my paid apps and get this filled out a bit more.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Shoot me the tips too please. Many apps I would love to see added. need to doctor my device sometime in the near future too, so I can use all of my paid apps and get this filled out a bit more.
    Will do... i actually have to head out for the day, so may not get to them until Monday or so, but will post the tips when I can... in the meantime, if you have any specific apps you want, you can always request them here... note that if these are paid apps, you may need to put up a bounty (per the first post in the thread)

Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Attached are 5 more scripts for the following apps
    1. Assassins Creed (requested and bounty paid by the2ndflood)
    2. Giant Fighting Robots (requested and bounty paid by the2ndflood)
    3. Free Music Ringtones
    4. Thought Bubble
    5. Jump O Clock

I will work with Rod to get these added to the app itself, but if you want to try them out first, all you need to do is the following:

1. Grab the specific script from the ZIP File
    2. Put your phone in Developer Mode and load up webOS Quick Install
    3. Select Tools - Send a File. For "File", just select the script you want to install. For "Destination Folder", put in: /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    4. Load up the Save/Restore app, and they should be there!

please let me know if you have any questions
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Oops..got one more for you.. Real Tennis (requested and bounty paid by the2ndflood)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Like any of my work:
    Audemars02 when I place the files in the directory save restore loads opens but I dont get any information. WHen I take the files back out I get the information. Any suggestions?

I am using Winscp to drop the files in there, that shouldn't make a difference though right? Also tried with Weboqi and did a luna restart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mamouton; 06/19/2010 at 11:57 AM.
    Audemars02 when I place the files in the directory save restore loads opens but I dont get any information. WHen I take the files back out I get the information. Any suggestions?

I am using Winscp to drop the files in there, that shouldn't make a difference though right? Also tried with Weboqi and did a luna restart.
    there could be an issue where the file is not set to be "executable"... Every time I use webOS QI to send it, it automatically sets the attributes to be executable... I can give you those code to set it as executable if you have command line acces... Otherwise, I would just try it with webOS QI again and go one-at-a-time to see if it's one specific script or all of them.
    Not quite sure how to do the script for this, but for Tiger Woods PGA Tour:

The file is named TW_Save.dat and it's in the com.ea.app.tw09/tw09 folder.

If you have command line access, here is what I want you to do...

1) Type in (and of course replace "[Script Name]" the name of the script) : chmod ugo+x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/[Script Name]
    2) Type in: ls -l -t -r /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    3) From the output, make sure the scripts that you pasted in have "x" included in the properties (all the way on the left for that script name). by doing the "-t -r", it should show your scripts all the way on the bottom.

As long as they have the "x"s, you should be able to load up the save/restore app and it should work. if it doesn't, let me know

Adam

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not quite sure how to do the script for this, but for Tiger Woods PGA Tour:

The file is named TW_Save.dat and it's in the com.ea.app.tw09/tw09 folder.
    Assuming the data you gave is all correct, here is the script. I dont have the app so i can't test it, so if you can follow the instructions from a few posts above to install and test, I would appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Assuming the data you gave is all correct, here is the script. I dont have the app so i can't test it, so if you can follow the instructions from a few posts above to install and test, I would appreciate it.
    Works great, thank you. Tested by backing up the file, deleting the original from my device via Terminal, and then opening the game, and it asked to create a profile. Then restoring the file gave me my saved golfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    If you have command line access, here is what I want you to do...

1) Type in (and of course replace "[Script Name]" the name of the script) : chmod ugo+x /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/[Script Name]
    2) Type in: ls -l -t -r /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore/
    3) From the output, make sure the scripts that you pasted in have "x" included in the properties (all the way on the left for that script name). by doing the "-t -r", it should show your scripts all the way on the bottom.

As long as they have the "x"s, you should be able to load up the save/restore app and it should work. if it doesn't, let me know

Adam
    Thanks that did the trick is there a way to set the properties on all of the files at once?

Answer: I looked at the properties in Winscp and saw the x was missing on the other files I highlighted the three files clicked properites and selected the x in properties. Thanks again.
    Last edited by mamouton; 06/19/2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Found answer
    I just bought heroes of sparta because of the 50% off sale and see it isn't one of the apps yet. I would like to provide whatever info is needed to add it to save/restore. Just let me know what I need to do to find out what it needs to save. Then I can start the game and get some short progress to test that it works and report back. I'd offer a bounty but I am currently unemployed and spent my limit of misc fun fund for this month already. I'm glad to see assassin's creed and look forward to having that as I just realized it wasn't there and was going to request it as well.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.