Page 16 of 93 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #301  
    0.8.3 has a bug in the launcher support if you try to save when you have no icons or launchpoints.

-- Rod
    not sure what is going on, I went to the doctor yesterday because I like to have a clean slate every few months, and everything went well, save/restore worked well, the Pre Backup Utility seemed to work well. my issue now is Preware is showing updates for Save/Restore and Luna Manager and when I update, it looks like all goes well, the updates go a way, but if I close and repopen preware or update feeds, they show up again. I tried uninstalling Save/Restore and Luna and reinstalling with restarts between, with same results, I also uninstalled Preware and reinstalled with restart between. Not sure what else to do.
    For info:
    Preware version is 1.1.4
    Save Restore version on my phone is 0.8.2 but update is to 0.8.3
    Not sure what Luna Manager on my phone is because it won't let me see the verion the update version is 0.1.0 Thanks for any help.

Save/Restore worked great for the Doctor other than for a couple of progeams line Navit that don't have feeds so I had to reinstall those and mobile hotspot by hand. Between Save/Restore and teh Pre Backup Utility, visiting the Doctor is not that bad at all. A usually 3 hour process took all of 45 minutes. and most of that was the doctor doing it's thing.
  3.    #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    not sure what is going on, I went to the doctor yesterday because I like to have a clean slate every few months, and everything went well, save/restore worked well, the Pre Backup Utility seemed to work well. my issue now is Preware is showing updates for Save/Restore and Luna Manager and when I update, it looks like all goes well, the updates go a way, but if I close and repopen preware or update feeds, they show up again. I tried uninstalling Save/Restore and Luna and reinstalling with restarts between, with same results, I also uninstalled Preware and reinstalled with restart between. Not sure what else to do.
    For info:
    Preware version is 1.1.4
    Save Restore version on my phone is 0.8.2 but update is to 0.8.3
    Not sure what Luna Manager on my phone is because it won't let me see the verion the update version is 0.1.0 Thanks for any help.

Save/Restore worked great for the Doctor other than for a couple of progeams line Navit that don't have feeds so I had to reinstall those and mobile hotspot by hand. Between Save/Restore and teh Pre Backup Utility, visiting the Doctor is not that bad at all. A usually 3 hour process took all of 45 minutes. and most of that was the doctor doing it's thing.
    My guess is that you have 0.8.3 in your saved package list, but don't have the corresponding testing feed enabled.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Makes sense, I will check. Thanks again. I think I may just set up a monthly donation!
    Last edited by jakelaw; 06/13/2010 at 08:42 PM.
    v0.8.3 launcher save fails with user-dock-positions.json /var/luna/launchpoints/ not found and the toggle remains set to on.. In previous versions having launcher selected it would report success and toggle to off. Not sure why this file would be missing. Nothing out of the ordinary operation of my pre has occurred since it last appeared to be working correctly in saving launcher. Please let me know if there is additional info I can provide to help solve this.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  6.    #306  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    v0.8.3 launcher save fails with user-dock-positions.json /var/luna/launchpoints/ not found and the toggle remains set to on.. In previous versions having launcher selected it would report success and toggle to off. Not sure why this file would be missing. Nothing out of the ordinary operation of my pre has occurred since it last appeared to be working correctly in saving launcher. Please let me know if there is additional info I can provide to help solve this.
    See post #301.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    @StoneRyno -- The latest version of the Launcher Script (updated in 0.8.3) now looks for the contents of the folder var/luna/launchpoints ... however, as Rod mentioned above, this folder only appears to be created when you create a icon for any of the following: (1) From a contact, choose "add to launcher", (2) from the browser, choose page - add to launcher, or (3) using an app like "dg quick cuts" or "launchpoints", creating a shortcut type icon on the launcher.

as a quick work around, one thing you can do add an icon per the above...the quickest is to load up a contact, from the application menu (top left), choose "Add to Launcher". At this point, the script should work for you.

@Rod - Any thoughts as to how we can get around this?

Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    That was it. Thansk Rod, not sure how I lost those feeds in the doctoring, but all is well in "Preland" now!!
    Here is a new script for Net2Streams Pro app (as requested by the2ndflood). This will be added to save/restore app shortly, but for now, here is the script if you would like it

P.S. Thanks the2ndflood for the delivered bounty on this script
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    @StoneRyno -- The latest version of the Launcher Script (updated in 0.8.3) now looks for the contents of the folder var/luna/launchpoints ... however, as Rod mentioned above, this folder only appears to be created when you create a icon for any of the following: (1) From a contact, choose "add to launcher", (2) from the browser, choose page - add to launcher, or (3) using an app like "dg quick cuts" or "launchpoints", creating a shortcut type icon on the launcher.

as a quick work around, one thing you can do add an icon per the above...the quickest is to load up a contact, from the application menu (top left), choose "Add to Launcher". At this point, the script should work for you.

@Rod - Any thoughts as to how we can get around this?

Adam
    Well I guess I'm completely confused because I thought it was saving the location info for all icons in the launcher and quick launch not just the ones that aren't apps. Which is why I thought I was reporting a bug other than the one mentioned by Rod. Is this not designed to backup all the icon locations? If not can it be made to do that?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Prior to v0.8.3, the launcher script in save/restore ONLY saved the location of icons for apps on the device, or any added icons that were already on the device when you do a restore (so if you doctor or delete a browser icon, those icons would NOT be added back).

in 0.8.3, I wrote a script to ALSO backup those other added-to-launcher icons to work after a Doctor or delete. It works just fine if you have those type of icons, but as rod said, there is a bug if you don't have those

does that help?
    Prior to v0.8.3, the launcher script in save/restore ONLY saved the location of icons for apps on the device, or any added icons that were already on the device when you do a restore (so if you doctor or delete a browser icon, those icons would NOT be added back).

in 0.8.3, I wrote a script to ALSO backup those other added-to-launcher icons to work after a Doctor or delete. It works just fine if you have those type of icons, but as rod said, there is a bug if you don't have those

does that help?
    One more question then. Is it succeeding in backing up the app icons and just failing on the other since I have none of those other icon types? And have nothing to worry about? It is just a cosmetic info thing to address then. I guess by the fact of the error message and the toggle staying on that I had the impression it was completely failing.
    One more question then. Is it succeeding in backing up the app icons and just failing on the other since I have none of those other icon types? And have nothing to worry about? It is just a cosmetic info thing to address then. I guess by the fact of the error message and the toggle staying on that I had the impression it was completely failing.
    hard for me to tell without seeing the actual error, but I would guess that it is failing altogether because the major part of the script happens AFTER it saves those icons. Honestly, if I were you, I would just add an icon (from browser or contact) and just park it on the bottom of the last launcher page and then try to save. At least,i would try this until rod can help me figure out how to fix this in the script.
  14.    #314  
    As an alpha tester, you are supposed to tell us the answer to that question

-- Rod
    More of a nuisance than a bug, but since the launcher icons are stored in a non hidden directory they show up in the Photos app.

Attached Images Attached Images
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Does save/restore restore text messages?
    No.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Does save/restore restore text messages?
    For now it just saves it as an HTML file, but does not RESTORE it. the webos-internals guys have not found a clean and reliable way to restore that data yet.

Like any of my work:
    Rod -- I was playing around with the app and tried restoring my "Mail List" data and i can't seem to get it to work. It shows that it backs up the cookies file, but the restore doesnt seem to be restoring the actual data. I can't find where else any other data is backed up to (i looked thorughout the USB drive, but didnt find anything there either)...

any ideas?

EDIT: One thing just occurred to me. Mail List creates two Contacts Accounts for this app "Mail List" and "Messaging Lists". Could we not be properly restoring because there is no read or write to the contacts table within the PalmDatabase file? if thats the case, we should remove the Mail List scripts from the next iteration of the app so people dont assume that it will work
    Last edited by Audemars02; 06/16/2010 at 01:59 PM.

Like any of my work:
    hard for me to tell without seeing the actual error, but I would guess that it is failing altogether because the major part of the script happens AFTER it saves those icons. Honestly, if I were you, I would just add an icon (from browser or contact) and just park it on the bottom of the last launcher page and then try to save. At least,i would try this until rod can help me figure out how to fix this in the script.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    As an alpha tester, you are supposed to tell us the answer to that question

-- Rod
    The exact error and behavior is in my posts. My reason for the questions is to asertain functionality occurring in code that as a tester I don't see. There is a file in the launcher folder which I have no idea if it actually contains the required info to restore. Due to the fact the end user experience does not gracefully provide feedback. It appears as if it completely fails for the reason previously stated. My aim was with feedback from the designer of the script or code for that part where the code execution halted due to no special launcher icons.

Basically I can outline how it should deal with backup for users who don't have the special icons so as to avoid it looking like it failed completely. This is assuming that it has succeeded in partly backing up the icons that do exist. Basically a error catch is needed to run to gracefully arrive at the toggle switching to off if a successful backup occurs in situations where no special icons are present. This way end users don't think it completely failed. But since I don't know where the current error output resides in the process and how it exits I don't know if I can help with specifics.