Page 12 of 93 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1848
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    I had a feeling it was Pre Backup Utility but the developer says it doesn't touch Sprint Nav either.

    Could I use Jason's Repair Utility to restore Sprint Nav from the Dr. image? Do you know the path where Sprint Nav is stored or point me in the direction of how to determine it.
    Note that I am not saying the Pre Backup Utility is to blame. I have no evidence to suggest that it is the cause of your problem.

    -- Rod
  2. #222  
    His program is backing up /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_0/ and in that directory there is a database (.db) file for Sprint Nav.
  3.    #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    His program is backing up /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_0/ and in that directory there is a database (.db) file for Sprint Nav.
    Do you run the Nav app to create the database location record in the ORIGINS table in the central locations db file before overwriting the app db file?

    That is the safe way to restore an app database, and you will want to restore any app cookies at the same time.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/28/2010 at 06:58 PM.
  4. #224  
    I haven't tried it yet but I believe that if you launch Sprint Nav prior to running the restore it would work. I really don't want to Dr. again though. Do you know where that .db file would be located in the Dr. image so I could try to restore it using Jason's Repair Utility?
  5. #225  
    Fixed it...

    I deleted the .db file in /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_0/

    After launching Sprint Nav it will create a new .db file

    Navigation works and the errors are no longer present.
  6.    #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Fixed it...

    I deleted the .db file in /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_0/

    After launching Sprint Nav it will create a new .db file

    Navigation works and the errors are no longer present.
    Yeah, that is the drawback of the "restore everything in a big lump" approach of the Pre Backup Utility - it won't work for some things (and will cause subtle errors like you experienced), but is still useful as an absolute last resort.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yeah, that is the drawback of the "restore everything in a big lump" approach of the Pre Backup Utility - it won't work for some things (and will cause subtle errors like you experienced), but is still useful as an absolute last resort.

    -- Rod
    I am sorry to learn Pre Backup Utility could have been written differently and thus been better and it wasn't. Perhaps the dev will.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  8. #228  
    Hey Rod -- any update on adding Transformers G1 to the applicaiton list? Still have my $2 bounty out there!
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  9.    #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I am sorry to learn Pre Backup Utility could have been written differently and thus been better and it wasn't. Perhaps the dev will.
    Actually, that's not what I want to imply.

    Pre Backup Utility has been written to meet a certain need (a complete backup and complete restore of absolutely everything). To achieve that, the developer had to make certain trade-offs. I believe he has done a good job within the constraints that webOS places on him for the use case that he is targetting.

    Save/Restore targets a different use case - safe individual backup of supported applications only.

    The two apps are each best in class for the use cases they are targeting.

    There is no technique known at the moment for how to do a complete backup in a perfectly safe way, so we should not take anything away from a developer who has done the best possible for that use case.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. #230  
    I love Bubble Puzzle so much that I am willing to up the bounty to $10!

    Any takers?
  11. #231  
    I wouldn't complain if Flight Tracker was supported. I could submit any information necessary to make it happen.
  12.    #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by devilslackey View Post
    I wouldn't complain if Flight Tracker was supported. I could submit any information necessary to make it happen.
    All we really need is the appid, the app name, and whether it uses normal mojo databases, or cookies, or both, and if it saves any other information anywhere else.

    And if it's a paid app, the developer needs a copy (or a bounty to buy a copy) for testing.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13.    #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Hey Rod -- any update on adding Transformers G1 to the applicaiton list?
    Haven't got around to it yet. You guys need to take a leaf out of MetaView's book and take a look at the scripts - it's quite straight forward to work out how to support a new game if you take a look at the scripts for all the existing games. If someone sends me an already-tested new script, I can usually push out a new Save/Restore version pretty quickly.

    I'm hoping to spend any free time I get this weekend on getting Govnah to safely and reliably make profile settings stick after clean reboots, but not stick after kernel crashes or OTA webOS updates ...

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    All we really need is the appid, the app name, and whether it uses normal mojo databases, or cookies, or both, and if it saves any other information anywhere else.

    And if it's a paid app, the developer needs a copy (or a bounty to buy a copy) for testing.

    -- Rod
    Hate to sound dumb, but how do I provide that information for you? It's a free app so I would assume that makes things a tad easier.
  15. #235  
    Hey Jason the great!
    Can photos and call logs be backed up? I think your app already backs up the messages, if I am correct.
    Bows.
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Hey Jason the great!
    Can photos and call logs be backed up? I think your app already backs up the messages, if I am correct.
    Bows.
    Hi. This is a webOS Internals app, not a Canuck Software (Jason Robitaille) app. While Jason is, in fact, great, the appropriate people to give kudos to here (and ask questions of ) are Rod Whitby and the other webOS Internals folks.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  17. #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Hi. This is a webOS Internals app, not a Canuck Software (Jason Robitaille) app. While Jason is, in fact, great, the appropriate people to give kudos to here (and ask questions of ) are Rod Whitby and the other webOS Internals folks.
    My stupidity, in Rod we trust and thanks for all the great work webOS internals.
  18. #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Haven't got around to it yet. You guys need to take a leaf out of MetaView's book and take a look at the scripts - it's quite straight forward to work out how to support a new game if you take a look at the scripts for all the existing games. If someone sends me an already-tested new script, I can usually push out a new Save/Restore version pretty quickly.

    I'm hoping to spend any free time I get this weekend on getting Govnah to safely and reliably make profile settings stick after clean reboots, but not stick after kernel crashes or OTA webOS updates ...

    -- Rod
    Gotcha.. I took a look at a few of the scripts and will see what I can do to write a few of my own... However, I have a few (hopefully) quick questions for you from a relatively noobie to all this (it's been about 10 years since I have done any kind of actual programming):
    1) Is there an easy way to tell what files are needed to be copied over, when looking at a specific application.. take Transformers, for example.. what should I do to tell what files we need to copy?
    2) Once I write up a script, how would I actually run/test it on my own?

    they sound easy enough, but not sure if the answer is straight forward.. hopefully it is!

    Thanks
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
  19.    #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Gotcha.. I took a look at a few of the scripts and will see what I can do to write a few of my own... However, I have a few (hopefully) quick questions for you from a relatively noobie to all this (it's been about 10 years since I have done any kind of actual programming):
    1) Is there an easy way to tell what files are needed to be copied over, when looking at a specific application.. take Transformers, for example.. what should I do to tell what files we need to copy?
    2) Once I write up a script, how would I actually run/test it on my own?
    1) The way I do it is get a list of files in the application directory before running the game for the first time, and then looking again after running the game and saving a profile. The file timestamps can also be used as a good indication.

    2) Copy the script into /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore and make sure it is executable (chmod ugo+x file). Save/Restore will pick it up automatically if the name of the new script matches the appid of the application in question.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1) The way I do it is get a list of files in the application directory before running the game for the first time, and then looking again after running the game and saving a profile. The file timestamps can also be used as a good indication.

    2) Copy the script into /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore and make sure it is executable (chmod ugo+x file). Save/Restore will pick it up automatically if the name of the new script matches the appid of the application in question.

    -- Rod
    Thanks... 2 quick followups:

    1) aside from using Internalz and going file by file (the only way i know how right now), whats the best way to get a list of files with timestamps? i imagine there is a simple command via command line, right?!

    2) cool...and how exactly do I make sure it is executable (chmod ugo+x file)?

    thanks again..and sorry if these are very basic questions!
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions