Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I am at a place with no wifi and no cell phone data for awhile. I have internet on my laptop (Ethernet cord), but attempting to connect with a router failed because it is PPPoE and only works with my laptop. I would like to try reverse tethering using the laptop's internet. WebOS Internals has an article on it:

Reverse Tethering - WebOS Internals

But, it mentions using a Linux workstation and I have Windows Vista 32. I also don't know how to reverse the changes to the Pre that it suggests (changing the default gateway). I created a wireless ad-hoc network on Vista, but the Pre doesn't seem to recognize ad-hoc networks. It seems that the Pre will only search for cell phone data OR wifi from a router/hotspot. Any way to have it recognize a wireless ad-hoc network OR force it to reverse tether through USB as the article suggests OR force it to reverse tether through bluetooth PAN? I have a bluetooth PAN, but it seems it only works one-way for tethering the laptop to the phone's internet.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I know this isn't what you're really looking for, but is there any chance of picking up a cheap wireless router? Have your laptop connect through that, connect the Pre through wireless, all is well. I usually hate throwing new hardware at a problem without making best use of what I already have, but it sounds like maybe you're at that point.

fwiw, every thread I've read about this stops short of claiming the Pre can't connect to ad hoc connections, but (with one exception, a GSM Pre and a Mac) all of them fail to find a solution.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have given up on a solution after trying different options. Maybe in the future.

I mainly wanted reverse tethering to get some applications from the App Catalog on the Pre. For now, I am able to with free apps by using "IPK Fetcher" which is nice. I then use WebOS Quick Install to get the apps on the Pre via USB (in addition to installing homebrew apps via USB).

One limitation about the cloud computing is I DON'T have a backup of my purchased apps on my computer like I did with the old Palm OS. I just have to trust that if my phone dies, I will get those paid apps back on my phone.
    Under Windows 7, newer wifi card can act as an access point (infrasructure network). So no need to use ad-hoc.