Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Did u install preware service? preware install is 2 things. preware applciation as well as service. when u open WebOS quick install, click on tools/device managment, do u see preware service in there?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    Did u install preware service? preware install is 2 things. preware applciation as well as service. when u open WebOS quick install, click on tools/device managment, do u see preware service in there?
    NO - I don't see any "Preware service" when I to see what's loaded up under Tools/Device Management -

And earlier, when I used WebOS Quick Install to install Preware earlier, there wasn't any listing for Preware service.....where do I find it?

Thanxxxxxx!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    it's called package manager service. It should be under webos internals feed. Download and reboot ur phone
    I think it's under the third button on the right, then under webos internals maybe,i'm not in front of mt computer and am trying to recal where it is in quick install, also it's in the listing for all not just the pre or pixi I think
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I actually DID install the Package Mananger Service from WebOS Quick Install - it's one of the required items in order to make PreWare work (at least that's what ALL the instructions say) - so, yes, it was/has been installed....and Preware still is giving me the same error message - "the service is not running"

When I use the WebOSQuickInstall App to check my 'device' aka my Pre - it tells me the Apps it's loaded - which include Preware - but it doesn't list Package Manager Service at all. From what I understand (???) that's common and correct - since the Package Manager Service doesn't actually show up in the launcher anywhere as an App - it runs quietly behind the scenes and makes stuff work.

And, yes, as per most of the instructions, after installing both Preware and the PMS/Package Management Service - I did a restart/reboot of the phone - with the same unsatisfying results.

Any ideas? Hopefully someone can help me figure this out??!!!

Thnxxxx

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    I actually DID install the Package Mananger Service from WebOS Quick Install - it's one of the required items in order to make PreWare work (at least that's what ALL the instructions say) - so, yes, it was/has been installed....and Preware still is giving me the same error message - "the service is not running"

When I use the WebOSQuickInstall App to check my 'device' aka my Pre - it tells me the Apps it's loaded - which include Preware - but it doesn't list Package Manager Service at all. From what I understand (???) that's common and correct - since the Package Manager Service doesn't actually show up in the launcher anywhere as an App - it runs quietly behind the scenes and makes stuff work.

And, yes, as per most of the instructions, after installing both Preware and the PMS/Package Management Service - I did a restart/reboot of the phone - with the same unsatisfying results.

Any ideas? Hopefully someone can help me figure this out??!!!

Thnxxxx

Miguel
    It doesn't show up as an app in the launcher because it is a service, BUT it should show up in WOSQI.

Open webOS Quick Install and reinstall Package Manager Service. Then reboot your Pre and you will be set.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    That is correct. it shows up in WOSQI if its installed correctly. so that means it didn't install for you. try installing it again
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    THANKS again for ALL the suggestions!

Finally got Preware up and running!

What I did was:

Used WebOS Quick Install - WOSQI - to reinstall both Preware and the Package Manager Service.

My ERROR/MISTAKE was that I was having WOSQI download them - but then not having the App do the 2nd (and crucial) step of Installing them via the INSTALL button....

Damn.

Once I did that, and then restarted.....VOILA! Preware immediately began working with FULL FUNCTIONALITY. As a result, my first Preware download was a Patch to modify the number of Icons on my Launcher screen.....

So, again MUCHAS GRACIAS - MERCI BEAUCOUP - and MANY THANKS to all the Pre-aholics who helped me out with various suggestions here!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Yesterday, my phone prompted me to update to webos 1.4.1 and I did without removing any patches (no new themes were installed). After the update, I tried to launch Preware, but it gets stuck in a loop. The screen appears to be loading and says "Loading Package Information Palm-catalog" but never finishes. Does anyone have any help?

Thanks
    can you delete it and then re-install it? Make sure you have the most current version of QuickInstall (I think it's 3.12)
    Yeah, update your Preware and Package Manager Service to the newest versions.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I had this problem, and fixed it by reinstalling preware, then disabling the palm app and update catalogs. For some reason it hung up on these two feeds, and having them in preware is kinda useless imo to begin with.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Please implement this feature! This is spam at its worse.
    I was beginning to think I was the only one!
    I was getting in to preware this morning to see if there were any updates to anything I had installed and see what new software was available, and ran in to a rather disturbing problem...preware (v 0.9.38) no longer sees any patches/applications that I have installed. All of the patches still work (attached you can find a list of them, retrieved using palm-log -l from a command line) but I can't see them in preware or WOSQI (I have a couple that I want to remove but can't). What should I do?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Run Emergency Reconstruction Utitlity, it will fix it.
    I should have known...the simplest solution is usually the best. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunmorgus View Post
    I was getting in to preware this morning to see if there were any updates to anything I had installed and see what new software was available, and ran in to a rather disturbing problem...preware (v 0.9.38) no longer sees any patches/applications that I have installed. All of the patches still work (attached you can find a list of them, retrieved using palm-log -l from a command line) but I can't see them in preware or WOSQI (I have a couple that I want to remove but can't). What should I do?
    I had the same problem and didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to run the Emergency Reconstruction Utility, because Preware didn't show any available packages. Just for fun, I updated my feeds, and bingo... Everything was fine again.
    When I open up preware it says "Failure during 'update' operation ipkg: Invalid gzip magic." I hit OK and let it update feeds. When I go into the patches folder, it only shows my patches I have installed already. I don't understand why it's doing this. I use preware to remove preware and install it again with WebOS Quick Install and I still get the same error message with the presence of patches missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    One way to pay back the community would be to do the work to get those favourite patches into the patches feed ...

Since they are all MIT licensed anyone can do the work of writing descriptions and creating screenshots and uploading it to the portal (give the author the chance to do it first, but offer to do it for them if they don't have the time).

-- Rod
    All I ever get is stupid comments when i do pay back the community so i have resorted to leaving my posts as is and not saying anything beyond "my personal patches". Plus not uploading my modifications makes my Pre different.

So can this be done yet? Preware Alpha has been updated about 3-5 times since i first asked this question.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]