Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    If you are still stuck with this, maybe follow the Palm instructions and install the emulator, I think I did that to get it to work?
    Interesting. Could you please answer one more question - the only time in the long (and torturous!) process that I've seen ANY "emulator" mentioned - is when I first downloaded the WebOS Quick Install Java Applet onto my Mac. The first time I double clicked it - it must install Palm's OS WebDoctor - and it gives you the OPTION of selecting your Carrier (in my case Sprint) - OR of selecting an "Emulator".

Do you - or does anyone else? - know what happens when you select Emulator instead of Sprint (which I did previously, with no success)? I'm going to try reinstalling the whole software doing this now - but I'm wondering if this is something all Mac owners have to do to make the software run on our machines?

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    download and install the palm sdk and this will install the needed novacom drivers on ur Mac, happy homebrewing
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

How can I fix this?
    whats the error....
    The 404 errors almost make me think it might be a connection issue... but I've tried running it without a connection before and haven't gotten anything like that.

Silly question, but did you install the Package Manager Service when you installed Preware? Because Preware relies on that service to work.

Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    whats the error....
    He's posted a screenshot. Can't you see it?
    So I just picked up a replacement Pre which the reps at the Sprint store were very good about. (Got a brand new out of the box Pre for free). Can't believe how much better the build quality is on these newer ones.

Anyway, getting back to the point...My Preware isn't showing the themes for some reason. I'm also unable to install them using WQI, which says that I'm unable to install themes due to some kind of new theme parameter testing, or something like that.

I'm sure its something minor that I'm just not doing, or forgot to do, but if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    This is adding the testing feeds:
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

I thought I spelled something wrong, so I deleted them both and tried again. Then I got a different error, deleted both feeds again and tried using the comma line way. That didn't work at all.. I'm trying once more using the manual way.
    Check the App menu in Preware (downswipe from the upper-left corner) for Feed Management or something to that effect. The Theme feeds are disabled by default, I believe. They're there, you only have to toggle them "on". You might have to restart Preware after this, or just try to update the feeds. Should work
    that had happen to me before.. If you keep getting that error after doing the manual way,then erase preware and add it back again. The feed you added either has a logging error or a misspelled word. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Now I get this error.. I checked my spelling
    did you not see my post. Try that.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    did you not see my post. Try that.
    Yep, deleted them both and tried again
    That was it. Thanks for the help!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Gah, missed a slash.. I think I fixed it.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I think the original issue I was having was the very last slash on the two feed locations:

Code:
    http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/all/
    http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7/
    I added the feeds without that last slash, looks like it worked.
    What do you need the testing feeds for, if you don't mind my asking? The ‹berKernel and Govnah have been moved into the new Kernels feed that ships standard with the newest version of Preware, so unless you're actually going to help our friends from webOS-Internals alpha-test some stuff, you should be fine without them.
    You're welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    He's posted a screenshot. Can't you see it?
    Hrmmmmm... i can't see it. Maybe it's getting blocked thru my firewall..

My apologies
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    download and install the palm sdk and this will install the needed novacom drivers on ur Mac, happy homebrewing
    THANKS so much, draztikfhymez!!!! Your suggestion - downloading the Palm SDK - and installing it my Mac - was the missing element to make the WebOS Quick Install work on my Mac! Weirdly enough, THIS doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else on the Precentral Forum boards....

It actually worked!!!

For those who are in the same boat as I am - and who would like specifics - I went to the official Palm Developers website - and found the SDK download page - SDK being an abbreviation for Software Development Kit. To actually download it and make it work on a Mac, you first have to download another (related) App - VIRTUAL BOX - which allows the SDK/Palm Emulator to work/run on a Mac.

Once I had downloaded both of these, I then reinstalled WebOS Quick Install from scratch - and to my amazement it began WORKING.

So....for my Mac at least, having the SDK is something that WebOS Quick Install java apps NEED IN ORDER TO RUN!!!!!

Thanks again!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    First, a big THANKS and SHOUT OUT to everyone who weighed in with their two cents on trying to find a way to make the WebOS Quick Install Java Applet actually run on a Mac. I actually have now gotten it running - and was (finally!) able to use it to download both Preware and the dreaded Package Manager Server onto my Pre at the same time....

I then followed instructions and did a Restart on my Pre....

Sure enough, in the Launcher pane, there is now a Preware App!

BUT - NEW PROBLEM - when open it up and it loads - it gives me the following message -

"The service is not running. First try restarting Preware, or rebott your phone, and try again."

Well, needless to say, I've done all of the above- with, so far, ZERO results. Either restarting Preware - or rebooting the phone, then restarting Preware again - brings me back to this same 'error' message.

So.....will a more experienced PRE-ista or PRE-aholic or someone with PRE-ternatural intelligence PLEASE help me out here....with some more advice?

What do I have to do to get Preware to run now that it's finally installed?

MUCHAS GRACIAS....MERCI BEAUCOUP.....MANY THANKS in advance!

-Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon