Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223 LastLast
    Sometimes I have to install them one at a time. Install...luna restart...install...luna...
    Me 2, been searching here for some answers, Preware has been working fine on the Pixi, but the Themes are not listed on Preware. On my Pre it has been working great,
    Is preware currently on your phone? If so access the themes that way.
    If by, unable to connect, your referring to webosqi you need to put the phone into dev mode upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I'm relatively a newbie with these Apps, but I followed the instructions to load Preware and I keep getting to the WebOS Quick Install window where I should click on the down arrow and there's NO follow up window opening.

Why is it so friggin' tricky to install Preware?????

I've spent over two hours attempting this and I'm no further than where I started...

All I want to do is install Preware and the uber kernal and govnah Apps to speed up my Pre.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    do u have java installed and working? are u running windows or mac or what?
    Do you have the newest versions of WebOS QI and the webOS doctor respectively on your computer? Is your phone in developer mode? If not, enter the Konami Code upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart and restart your phone.

I've had to doctor my phone a number of times, and it never took me more than two minutes to get Preware installed...

And by the way, since you're a self-professed newbie - maybe you should give overclocking a second thought. With the ‹berKernel and Govnah in the standard version of Preware these days it's really a piece of cake to install them, but that doesn't mean installing them doesn't bear any risks. If you do understand that overclocking will likely void your warranty in case your CPU actually gets fried (hasn't ever happened so far AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $but$ $could$ $happen$ $at$ $some$ $point$), $go$ $ahead$ - $I$'$m$ $a$ $happy$ $user$ $myself$.
    Did you make sure the phone is recognized? You have to re-run the webOSQuickInstall.jar AGAIN (after it downloads dr, etc.)

Do that and see if it "sees" your phone. THEN, it will give the next screen
    Also you must install the Package Manager Service along with Preware in order for Preware to work.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    and enable developer mode on the pre
    if you install preware does that void your warrenty?
    Quote Originally Posted by evanderlongoria View Post
    RWhitby writes in another thread that
    The official statement from Palm about warranties specifically was limited to overclocking activities, not homebrew in general.
    In other words: installing Preware will not void your warranty. Installing an overclock patch or kernel probably will.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Possibly, if you have a problem and send in your pre with preware still installed. I'd probably doctor my pre before I sent it in, if I were you...
    Not Preware itself. It (and any homebrew patches, apps, etc) can be removed via the Doctor prior to taking phone in for servive.

HOWEVER: If you use Preware to install the Overclocking Kernals......Yes. Palm will know it was done.

So, add Preware and apps, patches and such with no real fear. Overclock at your own risk.
    Is there a reason I only have about 1000 apps in preware? had to reinstall it as i had a problem with phone and it had about 4-5000 then??

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Palm Catalog feeds are now disabled by default. They are unnecessary IMHO anyways and slow down Preware load times.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Hello everyone I'm posting this in DESPERATION hoping that some experienced Pre geniuses with Mac familiarity can weigh in and help me out.

I'm a new (and happy) Pre owner (via Sprint!) and one of the main reasons I bought my Pre, apart from its intuitive and enjoyable OS, is the richness of the PreCentral community and the cool Homebrew Apps I've read about.

Also, though I'm a Pre-newb, I'm a little bit of a nerd and a geek so I know a little bit about technology....which makes my problems trying to install Preware all the more frustrating. AND - I've read almost ALL the posts on PreCentral from people who've had problems installing PreWare on Macs (there are quite a few) and none of them have helped.

So here's the situation. First - my Specs. A new Sprint Pre which is running the newest OS 1.4.1. A Mac desktop (a miniMac, which has an Intel processor) and is running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (the latest and most stable release of Mac's Leopard operating System).

Now the PROBLEMS. I have religiously followed all the steps in all of the PreWare install Guides....as follows -

1. Setting DEVELOPER MODE "ON" - this was easy, a piece of cake

2. UPDATING Java. On Macs this is slightly more complex than PC's but it's still pretty easy. My Java actually was already updated to the newest/latest Mac version SE6 and I used the Java Prefernces App to make sure it was at the top of the list, making it the active Java App. So....no problem.

3. INSTALL WebOS QUICK INSTALL - after nosing around a little, I found the latest WebOS version 3.12 and downloaded it onto my Mac. Not a complex process and it seems to have worked - since when I double click on the WeBOS Quick Install Applet, it opens the WebOS window complete with colored buttons.

4. INSTALLATION of WebOS Doctor. Success apparently - this worked more or less automatically when I opened WebOS Quick Install - the download process was lengthy but seemed to work fine....

BUT....

4-A. FIRST apparent PROBLEM: NO Novacom or NovaComd install. From what I can tell (help me out here please if I'm getting this wrong?) all of the Preware instructions say that this is (Novacom/NovaComd Install) supposed to happen during this process. Apparently it didn't - isn't - or doesn't - on my Mac. Jason Robitaille even mentions this in a post/stick on WebOS Quick Install: "You can manually install Novacom by going in WebOSQuickInstall and in the menu File->Options, then press the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button."

Well, guess what? That "option" is NON-FUNCTIONAL on my Mac. I can open the WebOS Quick Install Java Applet - I can find and select the 'Options' subheading under the File menu heading - but NOTHING HAPPENS. Nada. Zip.

That makes me wonder whether or not somehow the WebOS Quick Install App either a) didn't load correctly? b) won't run on my hardware/software? or c) has some other weird bug which only affects a small portion of Mac users?

At this point, the PROBLEMS compound.

They include a NON-FUNCTIONAL BLUE BUTTON among others.

I guess I'm experiencing some serious frustrations here. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic but I am (have been) hoping that Preware could actually work and communicate easily with my Mac - unlike my previous phones, Blackberry's and Nokias, which were PC-centric and PC-only when it came to downloading apps/etc. I realize I may be in the minority here - the vast majority of Preware instructions, including those with detailed screenshots, all seem to be for Windows Installs - but I'm not giving up hope yet.

Any help at all would be seriously appreciated.

Miguel
    When webOS doctor downloaded, was it the right version, sprint 1.4.1.1?
    When you plug in your device with dev mode on does the mac recognise a novacom device? If not you could go to the drivers on your mac and manually turn on the palm device, this has worked for me in the past.
    Also make sure you restart your mac after downloading everything.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    When webOS doctor downloaded, was it the right version, sprint 1.4.1.1?
    When WebOS doctor downloads, it doesn't - or didn't - specify which version it was downloading. It merely asked for the Carrier name - in my case, it was/is Sprint. There was never any provision for specifying which OS my Sprint Pre was/is running.

When you plug in your device with dev mode on does the mac recognise a novacom device?
    When I plug my Pre (which IS in Developer Mode) into my Mac - it gives me two simple options - either select CHARGING ONLY - or select "USB DEVICE". All of the Preware install instructions on this Forum say that I'm supposed to select Charging only - so that's what I've been doing. Incidentally, the weird part is - just to see, I also at one point selected USB Device - and what that does....is it makes my Pre (Device) show up as another Drive/HardDrive on my Mac Desktop. Rather a useful feature for manually transferring things like photos or songs from iTunes or whatever. BUT to answer your question - at no point in the Mac Install process is there ANY mention, by any of the installers, of a Novacom device.

If not you could go to the drivers on your mac and manually turn on the palm device,
    What 'drivers' are you referring to? Where are they actually located on a Mac? Can you access them via the Applications Folder? Do they 'live' in the Library? Are they part of the OS X System Preferences Control Panels? Could you please be a little more specific? Thanks!

this has worked for me in the past.
    Also make sure you restart your mac after downloading everything.
    Mmmm. I've thoroughly read and tried to assimilate EVERY post on this board about installing Preware via a Mac - and I think you are the FIRST person to actually say that it's necessary to restart my Mac after doing downloads. Are you sure about this? What's the purpose of the restart? If it works BTW that will be great but I'm asking the questions to try to understand what's going on here?]

Thanks!!!!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    If you are still stuck with this, maybe follow the Palm instructions and install the emulator, I think I did that to get it to work?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

If it asked for your carrier the, I suspect it is the right file.

Yes just charge is right(usb mode is an option even if phone is not in dev mode by the way). There is a way to access the novacom through the palm files but I'm not to sure about this.

I haven't got a mac on me right now and am can not think of the correct location of the top of my head. This might be in one of the many threads, wish I could be more specific. Basically you can pull up all the drivers on the mac and search through and find palm inc and manually start it.

Restarting is to do with the java I think, its worth a shot.

Also when qi is open, go into options, device management and see what message that gives you.

Wish I could help more right now but am on the train with only my phone.