Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Or do I have the use WebOS quick install?
    QI only
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    actually you may need to turn off a couple of feeds until you get preware updated . after you start preware tap upper left for prefernces and manage feeds to turn off the ones you really dont need and all they do is slow down preware from opening. and when it gets stuck just tap updates feeds in preferences and it will restart loading
    Awesome!! I've been messing around all day trying to fix this ! Great post !!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Great fix thanks!!
    Well I am 6 days into my first smart phone, the Pre Plus . I have restrained myself from tweaking it for so long to get a feel for the device first. However, I am unsure if I should start to set it up today.

First of all, I completely love this phone. I have had an iPod Touch for 2 years and have a good feel of how the iPhone would be. I constantly play with my friends Blackberry Bold. Compared to both Blackberries and the iPhone, WebOS is just amazing. I'm really glad I chose the Pre .

Now back to business. The biggest reason that I hesitate to use Preware and Quick Install at this point is the fact my phone has started to gain a slight Oreo effect. It doesn't really interfere in any way but every time I put the Pre in my Palm (haha) I can always feel the top of the device moving down a little more than it should and it irritates me. Also whenever, I hold the device, the back of it, where your fingers lay if you held it in your right hand seems to creak a little. Because of this I am not sure if I should just go and try and get a replacement. Therefore I am holding of on Preware possibly.

The second problem I have is Battery Life. I knew it was going to be bad without an extended battery but wow, this thing can't hold a charge. Would installing Preware and tweaking the Pre make the battery life even worse? One of the reasons I wanted to get Preware was for the app that gives you your Drain per Hour. I have a feeling that mine is a little too high for the average Palm Pre.

I also have a little lag, but no biggie. I am sure by the time that 1.4.1 comes out on the Verizon Pre, it will not be as bad. I know most of you will recommend over clocking but I don't think I can do that at this point.

So PreCentral, any advice?
    Try it. You don't like it you can doctor it.
    Everyone says that li-on batteries can not be improved by letting them die all the way and then recharging them; however, myself and others have found that to be untrue. I let mine discharge fully and then recharged it on the advice of others and my battery life has greatly improved.

In addition, over time the battery life improves on its own. It takes at least a couple weeks. If you don't see much improvement then you should buy the Seidio 1350 extended battery (which fits the standard battery door) or the 2600 which requires the much larger included back.

There is nothing you can do about the twist. It happens to almost everyones phone eventually. That is one of the reasons that the Pre has stalled in sales. The Hardware is not as good as the operating system. A case can sometimes help limit the twist. Pressing on the outer sides of the phone while sliding it creates a firmer fit, but be careful not damage the screen. NOTE: There is no threat of the phone actually coming apart; it is only an annoyance.

I had the 800 patch and it did drain my battery faster (I am absolutely sure of it) so i removed it. However, there is a special scaler patch which can reduce the speed during some operations according to your specifications. If you install the 800 patch then also install the scaler. You can also install one of the other speed patches (550, 600, or 720) which do not use as much battery life.

NOTE: Tweaks do not reduce battery life. Only the speed patches as far as I am aware of.

Good luck
    Hey FYI the more often you check for "oreo" the more "oreo" you get
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrey View Post
    Everyone says that li-on batteries can not be improved by letting them die all the way and then recharging them; however, myself and others have found that to be untrue. I let mine discharge fully and then recharged it on the advice of others and my battery life has greatly improved.
    That is NOT improving the battery, but calibrating the electronics in the battery to know when it's full and when it's empty.

Yes, this needs to be done once in a while. However, it should NOT be done often, if at all possible, because that'll degrade the battery.
    ^ Yes I heard that I should try and charge the phone as much as possible and that is what I have been doing.

@jgrey
    I have been contemplating buying the 1350 battery but, i really don't want to have to buy another thing just to make the battery last a little longer. Your note makes me really happy though. I thought one day, the Pre would eventually just snap .

@NordicMan
    Good tip, I should just stop obsessing with it.

On a final note, I know that Palm gives us a 1-year warranty. If the Oreo does get really bad, would they replace it for free under that warranty if it was not my fault at all?
    Many Pre's have a slight oreo effect. If it gets too bad, Verizon should replace it.

The battery life will get better after a couple of weeks. Also, make sure your emails are set for a time period of minutes like 5-30, not "as it arrives." That will help a lot. Use wi-fi if available when you are on Internet.

Preware is great and is really easy to install and uninstall once you get used to WebOS Quick Install. I know you are hesitant about running an overclocking kernel, but there have been thousands of downloads and very few problems and no dead Pre's that I have heard of. It REALLY MAKES a BIG DIFFERENCE in the way the phone works.

Oh, and keep the cards open for the programs you will use during the day. That is the beauty of the WebOS and makes it so efficient. I regularly have 10-15 cards running by the end of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by newt45 View Post
    ^ Yes I heard that I should try and charge the phone as much as possible and that is what I have been doing.

@jgrey
    I have been contemplating buying the 1350 battery but, i really don't want to have to buy another thing just to make the battery last a little longer. Your note makes me really happy though. I thought one day, the Pre would eventually just snap .

@NordicMan
    Good tip, I should just stop obsessing with it.

On a final note, I know that Palm gives us a 1-year warranty. If the Oreo does get really bad, would they replace it for free under that warranty if it was not my fault at all?
    Palm may or may not replace it. They say it is "normal." Some have had success getting it replaced, others have not. I also obsessed about the twist at first, but no longer notice it. There are dangerous ways to adjust the slider if you read through the forums here and at the official palm forums; however, tread lightly if you take these adjustments on.

If you remove your battery and open the the slider back and forth, then you can actually see how it works and what causes the "play" or "twist" in the slider. Once you observe the mechanics of the phone slider in action, you will see that there really is no threat of the phone getting much worse or ever coming apart...unless you intentionally twist the phone to test its limits. I respectfully suggest that you listen to Nordic Man and don't test the twist. Again, you can reduce the twist a little by pressing down on the top of the outer edges of the phone (but again be careful). I have to do this once in a while when the the twist increase to its maximum expansion. After I do this I am only left with a very slight "twitch, and not a "twist."
    Battery life will definitely improve in the coming weeks and leaving it fully drain and then completely charging it wil help.

I definitely recommend getting preware on your pre and the battery app is great. Also by getting preware you also have access to patches on there that have 'aupt' so are safe when the next update comes shortly. Remember to read the forums on the patches, some work better with others installed but I have never had a problem so far.

Personally, if you are a new user I would hold out on the overclocking for two reasons: 1. The phone is new so will be settling at the moment, so you don't want to run it to hard. 2. Overclocking is a kernel and needs to be uninstalled for updates, so with the next update only 2 to 3 weeks away I would wait until after that for convenience
    Wow, thanks a lot for all the advice you guys!

I will take the Oreo suggestions and make sure to not keep looking for it.

I am currently trying to install WebOS Quick Instal on my computer and have hit a roadblock. I am at the part where it needs to find the Novacom Driver on the computer, but it can't find it. I am going to try and reinstall everything.
    Not to thread jack or anything but i agree that the phone is awesome except for battery life. I guess i should wait before i mod it as well b/c 1.4.1 is coming out. Are you guys sure that 1.4.1 is coming out in two or three weeks if thats the case i will wait.
    Well Verizon has waited for a week I think it was? Can't take too much longer.

Well I keep trying to get Quick Install to work but dice :-/. Whenever I try to Reinstall Novacom, it says,

ControlService failed
    Service removed

Well I keep trying to get Quick Install to work but dice :-/. Whenever I try to Reinstall Novacom, it says,

ControlService failed
    Service removed

Newt45- give me a minute and I will post what the problem is

ControlService failed
    Service removed

Are you using mac or windows (and what windows version are you using; XP, vista, windows 7)
    I am using Windows Vista.

Thanks for the help, I searched the forums and can't seem to find something that will work.