Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I'd like to recommend that for the next WebOS Update, that the Preware servers be locked down to only allow updates by donors for the first day/two days. I've donated, and I'm still NOT able to get updates. Yeah, I know that my donation was just that - a donation and not anything else - but it would sure probably get more donations...
    required donation, is not a donation at all... its called paying for it, and they need to provide support for items they require payment for
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    It's not required. You make the choice - you donate or you do not. You wait 2 days or you can use the service immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    I'd like to recommend that for the next WebOS Update, that the Preware servers be locked down to only allow updates by donors for the first day/two days.
    To hell with that idea.

You could have a second 'donor-only' server to access while keeping the first without screwing over all the users.
    what's this guys deal ..
    Horrible idea. Why not put a pay scale on the new WeboS releases while we're at it. Who ever pays the most gets it first then second and so on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdspecter View Post
    required donation, is not a donation at all... its called paying for it, and they need to provide support for items they require payment for
    They DO provide support and still DON'T require a donation, webos internals is doing great things. There are IRC channels where you can find people to help and also right here on P|C, so there is plenty of support.

Also to everyone else, there was a new server added and there shouldn't be an issue updating feeds, try to manually update feeds again.
    Personally, for the amazing work they do at such an incredible price (free), I'm happy to wait a bit for things to work. No less, the support they provide at this point in time is better than most support you can get for paid products.

While I can't speak for them, I'd wager they'll be working on ways to improve the capacity for load for the next update, be it through optimization, or better hosting, or whatever it is they need.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    They DO provide support and still DON'T require a donation, webos internals is doing great things. There are IRC channels where you can find people to help and also right here on P|C, so there is plenty of support.

Also to everyone else, there was a new server added and there shouldn't be an issue updating feeds, try to manually update feeds again.
    Exactly. There you go.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Even after the new server wasn't added, I still wasn't able to make it go. Not until this morning - and by then I'd run WebOS Quickinstall and it re-did my patches for me.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donb123 View Post
    what's this guys deal ..
    I don't have a "deal". I was solely mentioning it as an idea to the WebOS-Internals guys. It's a way of raising more donations, because everyone would want to have access first - and at that, they're not competing with the hordes of other people who are just freeloading on everyone else who has donated, not to even mention the countless thousands of hours of work that the guys have put into the whole Preware projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by donb123 View Post
    what's this guys deal ..
    Seems like it was just an idea he had. It doesn't happen to be one that I like, and I'll admit, I did initially interpret the OP as proposing an idea in the form of a bit of a shrouded complaint, but I think he was just trying to propose a solution to a problem in a way that he felt would develop increased income for WebOS Internals. And, on that note, it very well might-- but at the expense of a lot.

Donations are made by people who are so pleased with a service that they want to support its ongoing development and growth. The average user of the service, ideally, should not feel any pressure to donate, even if they use the service heavily-- and as a result, the accessibility, and widespread usage and knowledge of the service grows. If the quality of the service is maintained or improved (as is very much the case with webOS Internals) as the userbase expands, the number of people who donate will inevitably increase as well. This provides an opportunity for (ideally) covering the increasing costs of a growing free service, while imposing none of the complications that come from charging for the use of the service (even if only at specific times).

Just imagine the reaction from people who suddenly *couldn't* use Preware right after an update because they hadn't donated. Some people would donate, sure, but a lot of people would be very unhappy, and this disruption alone between webOS Internals and the community would be a good reason not to do something like the OP's idea.
    Xenoc

I've given what I think is a lot to these guys over the last 6 months, and get more then my monies worth from the team. I would not want to burden them by asking them for special treatment just because I donate. Let them spend their valuable time doing what they do best (Improving WebOS).