1.    #1  
    I wasn't sure where else to post this, so hopefully this is the right spot. Ever since 1.3.5 was released, the package manager service is wreaking havoc on app store downloads. When some users download my app (as well as others) the apps hang at "Installing". Removing, resetting, etc. nothing fixes it. The only fix I found was to uninstall the package manager service. Apps would install normally after that. Some users have had luck with the Emergency Migration utility, but the problem is that we can't expect average users to know that they need to run this.

Palm seems to be (and rightfully so) of the opinion that since the issue is caused by homebrew software, it's not their issue. Unfortunately this is causing issues for myself and others because we are receiving loads of negative reviews on our apps because "they won't install".

Is WebOS Internals aware of this issue? Is this anything you guys would be able to fix?

Here are a few links to forums on Palm's site related to the issue as well.
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hp?f=65&t=4710
    Forums webOS • View topic - Negative reviews for "Not installing"
    Forums webOS • View topic - Bad reviews of Apps
    I had an issue with an app that wouldn't install, it would just hang on "installing". Some other users found that removing the package manager service did in fact fix the issue and the app would install normally. What I found was that installing the app via webos quick install also worked, and didn't require removal of the package manager service. This of course doesn't help for apps listed in the office app catalog, as those don't appear in the webos quick install list of apps.....

I too would like to see this issue resolved....
    This is an important question.
    Quote Originally Posted by backlund View Post
    I wasn't sure where else to post this, so hopefully this is the right spot. Ever since 1.3.5 was released, the package manager service is wreaking havoc on app store downloads. When some users download my app (as well as others) the apps hang at "Installing". Removing, resetting, etc. nothing fixes it. The only fix I found was to uninstall the package manager service. Apps would install normally after that. Some users have had luck with the Emergency Migration utility, but the problem is that we can't expect average users to know that they need to run this.

Palm seems to be (and rightfully so) of the opinion that since the issue is caused by homebrew software, it's not their issue. Unfortunately this is causing issues for myself and others because we are receiving loads of negative reviews on our apps because "they won't install".

Is WebOS Internals aware of this issue? Is this anything you guys would be able to fix?
    We are aware of a problem where the Palm migration code expected every directory in /var/usr/palm/applications to have a valid appinfo.json file, and stopped the app catalog installing applications at all if there was a directory which did not have such a file in it.

The Emergency Migration Helper fixes this problem.

We are not aware of any other problem cause by the Package Manager Service related to installation of app catalog applications. Palm knows my email address, so I would expect that if there were any confirmed issues caused by the Package Manager Service then I would have been notified.

If anyone has a repeatable test case then please contact me so we can debug it.

Regarding the links you posted, the first one seems to be confirmed by Chuq to be a Palm problem: https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p=19376#p19376, but if there is any indication that it is indeed caused by the Package Manager Service, and not fixed by the Emergency Migration Helper, then please contact me directly.

WebOS Internals does everything it can to ensure that it's products do not conflict with Palm or the App Catalog. If you see a case where that is not true, please alert me directly, cause that will get the highest priority.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/10/2010 at 04:22 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I can comment on this, although I'm not sure how helpful it will be, since I can no longer debug it.
    I had installed an app through preware, and later removed it. After upgrading to 1.3.5, the app had made it into the app catalog. I tried again to install, and it would hang every time on "installing". I have since doctored, so I can't reproduce. I'll say that I did get the suspicion that having previously installed, then migrated to crypto, then tried to install again, is what caused my issue.
    Well I don't think average users have downloaded WebOS Quick Install, then used it to load Preware onto their Pre. So the users that have managed that much should be able to run the migration helper.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Some users have had luck with the Emergency Migration utility, but the problem is that we can't expect average users to know that they need to run this.
    I see your point but if the average users is capable of installing home brew they should also know the risks. I had problems installing dungeon quest from the app catalog so I doctored because I though patches / home brew were the issue.

Come to find out even after doctoring it would not install so the problem had nothing to do with home brew. So I re patched / home brewed my phone and installed the one in preware without any issues. A week later the app catalog version got an update and installed fine.

Whether it was palm's fault or the devs it had nothing to do with home brew and if it did I knew the risk of using home brew.
    Last edited by helidos; 02/11/2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    I can comment on this, although I'm not sure how helpful it will be, since I can no longer debug it.
    I had installed an app through preware, and later removed it. After upgrading to 1.3.5, the app had made it into the app catalog. I tried again to install, and it would hang every time on "installing". I have since doctored, so I can't reproduce. I'll say that I did get the suspicion that having previously installed, then migrated to crypto, then tried to install again, is what caused my issue.
    Palm advises authors to use a different package id when they have the same package in both homebrew feeds and the app catalog. We concur with their advice.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCovers View Post
    Well I don't think average users have downloaded WebOS Quick Install, then used it to load Preware onto their Pre. So the users that have managed that much should be able to run the migration helper.
    We believe there are about 25K users of Preware, which I think (according to some analyst reports) is about 2% or less of overall webOS users.

Whilst it is true that the installation of Preware is not as easy as downloading something from the App Catalog, we do strive to make sure that it is easy to use Preware, and that fixes for any problems appear as automatic updates to the application.

As always, if someone has a repeatable test case where they believe Preware is preventing the installation of an App Catalog application, then please contact me directly for immediate action. It will assist the debugging greatly if you are able to get a command line on the device.

-- Rod
    I had this problem upon initial update to WebOS 1.3.1 but the Migration helper fixed this issue for me.

What I did was delete Preware & PMService, reinstalled Preware, PMService and the Migration helper. All was solved. Apps installed with no issue.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I had this problem upon initial update to WebOS 1.3.1 but the Migration helper fixed this issue for me.

What I did was delete Preware & PMService, reinstalled Preware, PMService and the Migration helper. All was solved. Apps installed with no issue.
    The most important thing here is to use WebOS Quick Install 2.96 or later when you reinstall the packages.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    There was a report that some Best Buy store(s) was/were installing PreWare on new phones. Was this established to be true? If that is the case is it possible the issue was caused by people who had old versions of PreWare and the package manager service? If PreWare was preinstalled, perhaps some apps and/or patches were too.
    Rod, sent you a pm on this
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit