webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Stella Atari 2600 VCS Emulator
Stella Atari 2600 VCS Emulator

Old 02/20/2010, 01:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debilater View Post
The actual package is here. You'll need to install the "Upstart Manager Service" (via Preware or WOQI) too.
Thank you. I'm going to give it a go. I'll post my results, feedback, and questions shortly.
mjkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2010, 01:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

It won't install, I believe it's because its arm7 pixi uses arm6
Old 02/20/2010, 04:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Developer

The Pixi does not have the libraries to support SDL apps.

So none of these games will run on a Pixi until Palm creates and releases those libraries.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2010, 07:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
The Pixi does not have the libraries to support SDL apps.

So none of these games will run on a Pixi until Palm creates and releases those libraries.

-- Rod
Cleared that right up, what a bummer.. Thank you.
Old 02/20/2010, 11:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debilater View Post
What do you mean? An "on-screen controller" thing like in VBA?
Yeah. I mean't a Touch-Screen Controller; like VisualBoyAdvanced and the NesEM have.
the2ndflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2010, 01:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

hi can someone tell me how i can play atari games that use a KIDS controller on the stella emulator for the palm pre?? This controller isn't a paddle or joystick. thanks
PreDude292009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2010, 03:49 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quoting Atariage:
Quote:
Functionally the same as a Touch Pad or Keyboard Controller, but a larger size that is easier for children to use.
So, I think you have to use the keyboard of the phone. You may re-map the keys too.
debilater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2010, 09:30 AM   #28 (permalink)

Hi again. I don't know if I am replying correctly but i'm trying. can you tell me how i would remap the keys so that the letters ert would be 123 and dfg would be 456 and xcv would be 789 and @ sym would be 0?? thanks
PreDude292009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2010, 04:30 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreDude292009 View Post
hi can someone tell me how i can play atari games that use a KIDS controller on the stella emulator for the palm pre?? This controller isn't a paddle or joystick. thanks
The Wiki for this app should have a listing for game controller mapping. I would imagine you can just setup the game-buttons to use which ever phone-keys you want to use. Hopefully the Touch-Screen controller is going to be added into an update. What game are you trying to play?
Old 03/20/2010, 12:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Just found out this exists and gave it a go. Plays the old games (and the ones I hacked or wrote in the last decade) flawlessly, and glad it's so easy to remap the keys. Thanks!

Now all that's left is a little bit of trim: Pre Skin - Dark Rosewood @ DecalGirl
raindog469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2010, 05:12 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog469 View Post
Just found out this exists and gave it a go. Plays the old games (and the ones I hacked or wrote in the last decade) flawlessly, and glad it's so easy to remap the keys. Thanks!

Now all that's left is a little bit of trim: [url= Skin - Dark Rosewood @ DecalGirl[/url]
You have both written and hacked games? It really bothers me how I have such a hard time learning to write code. I think it is so cool how so many users on this site can so easily write software code.
What games have you Created/Modified?

Carrier: Sprint
Device: Palm Pre
Favorite App: NesEm
Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Old 03/21/2010, 10:39 PM   #32 (permalink)

How does one get Atari ROMs?
monkeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2010, 02:24 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
How does one get Atari ROMs?
We are not allowed to post links for ROM sites on here. Just do a Google or Rapidshare search for them.

Old 03/23/2010, 03:36 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
You have both written and hacked games? It really bothers me how I have such a hard time learning to write code. I think it is so cool how so many users on this site can so easily write software code.
What games have you Created/Modified?
I'm not the greatest Atari 2600 programmer, but I made some hacks about 10 years ago of Pac-Man (actually Ms. Pac-Man, but I made a better Pac-Man out of it, modifying the board layout, sounds, graphics, colors, and changing the gameplay appropriately) and Space Invaders, both of which were made into cartridge form for a while. They've both been hugely outshone by homebrew versions of the games that others wrote from scratch, like Space Instigators and Hack'Em, but at the time I was very proud of them.

I also wrote some demos from scratch including Boing 2600 (as in the old Amiga bouncing ball demo) and a couple different horizontal scrolling demos which I meant to develop into a port of Ballblazer. I gave up at the time for various reasons, unrelated to the difficulty of the coding, but someone else has picked it up recently and is doing amazing work which he posts on AtariAge.

Don't think I can include links until I make a few more posts, but if you google for raindog old videogames my page will be pretty close to the top. (And the personal ad immediately underneath it is not me.)

Anyway, I've been looking for a truly portable Atari 2600 solution for a long time, and this is the best yet. Thanks again to debilator for his work on it.
raindog469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: the2ndflood
Old 05/23/2010, 02:04 AM   #35 (permalink)

So is there any current work on releasing an updated Stella Atari app with a Touch-Screen controller? If not, that is okay. While a Touch-Screen would be nice, not having it will not make me like the emulator any less. This is still a fun app to play with!

Old 06/04/2010, 02:39 PM   #36 (permalink)

love this! Now we need a GBA emu, not the poor VBA. Can't we port over the iphones?
Old 09/13/2010, 07:34 PM   #37 (permalink)

Has anyone else been having a problem using the Atari emulator with the WebOS 1.4.5 update? Every time I try and load a game, the game loads, but then my phone resets itself. Is this just a problem with the current Stella emulator not being compatible with WebOS 1.4.5? Or is this part of a bigger issue. Have people already given up on updating this emulator?

Old 09/13/2010, 07:39 PM   #38 (permalink)

Anyone else think this should be submitted to the app catalog for $1-2 or for free? Could make atleast $1,000 in the free or paid section of the PDK contest, and that money could be donated to webos internals.
ChickenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2010, 07:41 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
Anyone else think this should be submitted to the app catalog for $1-2 or for free? Could make atleast $1,000 in the free or paid section of the PDK contest, and that money could be donated to webos internals.
I would be willing to buy the App Store version, but I need the app to be working. Right now the emulator just crashes my phone, ever time I go to open a ROM. Plus I would like to see Touch-Screen controls. That would be so very cool!

Last edited by the2ndflood; 09/13/2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09/18/2010, 05:13 PM   #40 (permalink)

does anyone else after updating to pdk have a issue 1.4.5 update on palm now atari wont run
Spritz331 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0