Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Samba (smb) is a Linux service for sharing drives between computers.

It can be installed on webOS devices with Xorg Tools here...
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...wer-users.html

Use this thread for support, install questions, config questions and anything that is everything Samba. Feel free to share your own configration details, router port forwarding discusssions, etc.

Here is the official Samba guide for all configuration options.
    http://samba.org/samba/
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Howto: Share a Windows drive on your Pre with Xorg Tools

This uses Samba2 and is experimental. It works well on the surface but has its caveats. xt will install both inbound/outbound setups but I'm only recommending outbound connections for now (mount external remote drives/folders to webOS) unless you are experienced with samba. Feel free to tinker with smbd/nmbd if you want to do inbound connections and post your experiences/config changes here.

On Windows computer:
    - Explore to view drive or folder you'd like to share
    - Right click on folder or drive you'd like to share, select Properties
    - In Sharing Tab, create a "Share Name" and setup any other desired options.
    - If possible, test by mapping this share from another Windows computer before trying on phone.

On webOS phone:
    - install xorg tools here if not already installed
    - run 'xt' in a Terminal session

(if optware has not been installed, install 'Optware Bootstrap' and 'Optware Advanced' from Preware or...)
    - select opt) optware setup
    - select cro) create initial optware setup
    - quit and rerun xt

(continue here if optware already installed)
    - select exp) experimental menu
    - select smb) create/manage samba fileshare
    - select ism) install samba (if not already installed)
    - select amp) add mount point to /etc/fstab

- enter name of Windows computer prepared above

- enter IP address of THAT Windows computer
    (if using WAN address, need to do IP forwarding on router,
    recommend starting with local LAN address and connect via WiFi)

- enter the remote "sharename", the name you used in setting up the Windows share in setup above

(local mount point is where the sharename will be mounted, use /mnt/(sharename)
    or /media/internal/(sharename) - no spaces)
    - enter the local mount point, such as /mnt/C or /media/internal/C

- enter the username on the windows computer
    - enter the password on the windows computer for that username
    - choose ro if read-only access or rw if read-write

To mount, run xt smb and select 'mnt' to mount all smb shares created.

See /etc/fstab and /etc/hosts for the entries it created. Edit as needed.

Am working on an update that will periodically or on demand, mount your dropbox share and sync to media drive using rsync.

If someone has Mac instructions, please post in this thread using the above format. Thanks in advance.

Caveats/Troubleshooting

-If you have issues mounting, ping the host name. If you can't ping, check the ip address in /etc/hosts. If you still can't mount, it may be on the PC side, trying mounting from another PC if you can (windows to windows drive mapping).

-If your palm freezes, make sure you have valid mount points in /etc/fstab and valid IP addresses in /etc/hosts. You can remove all of them with 'xt smb' and then 'rmp'.
    Last edited by xorg; 01/25/2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    BTW, this works well with syncing Dropbox to a computer that has it installed. You can share your Windows dropbox folder and then mount to webOS device. I'm working on an update to keep them in sync, with option to choose subfolders.

Should work with any dropbox-like service, like sugersync, etc.

Hint, use rsync. It can be scheduled in cron to periodically keep it updated.

Get ready for some dropbox love on webOS!

Don't know what dropbox is? Get it here..
    https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEyMzg1MTQ5
    Last edited by xorg; 01/24/2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Interesting. Are you using Samba 2 or 3? Samba has been discussed a long time back, in this thread. That thread is focused on exporting the WebOS filesystem. The beginning of the thread talks about using samba 3 but it had some ugly side effects. I got samba 2 running out of optware and it works great. I have found no side effects. Without any wires, my laptop can see the Pre's filesystem that is normally seen via USB.

There is one bug with samba 2. It is a long standing samba bug which has only recently been fixed in Samba 3 (not in the last optware version of samba 3 that I tried). When the network goes down, nmbd dies. This means I can't just leave samba running. I ssh in and then start it, then do my sync and then stop it. It would be great to port the patch from samba 3 to samba 2 to have this. I might do that if there is interest.

Samba 2 is fully functional for simple file sharing. Samba 3 is far more robust and full featured, but it is significantly larger and resource hungry. I think samba 2 is a better choice for a lightweight way to export a filesystem. I haven't evaluated if it is sufficient for letting WebOS mount remote filesystems. But the smaller footprint is attractive.

Dave
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'm using samba2 package to keep it simple for now and I've had better luck with it too. Thanks much for the feedback.

I'm more focused on mounting remote fileshares on webOS at the moment, but do have the core setup for nmbd/smbd for those who want to experiment with this.

xt will do the basic setup for those who don't want to go through all of the webosinternals steps or the thread you mentioned.

xt will eventually focus on dropbox-like service syncing via rsync.

If you have other samba config ideas, feel free to post.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Howto: Share a Windows drive on your Pre with Xorg Tools

If someone has Mac instructions, please post in this thread using the above format. Thanks in advance.
    Xorg - just insert the lines below for Mac installation.

On Macintosh computer:
    - Create a folder called "mediabackup"
    - Select System Preferences -> Sharing
    - Click the + below Shared Folders to add the new folder you just created
    - Click the Options button
    - Check the box for "Share files and folders using SMB"; Press Done

I posted screen shots on your wiki.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    I have been scouring the net for days to find a solution via WIFI because my USB plugin quit working for charging and USB connecting. Sprint is replacing my phone but if I can not find a solution with in a few days I am toast when I get my new phone. I am welcome to any suggestions. Texts and call logs are a BIG thing to me though. I have tried to figure out xorg tools and Samba and it is not my forte. I will keep trying though. Thanks in advance for any ideals.
    I attempted to use this but my computer doesn't seem to be able to connect. I've verified the IP is correct (and am able to SSH to it without issue.) It gives me the standard generic "Windows can't connect to this computer and refuses to give you any kind of meaningful error message" crap.

This is after configuring Samba to allow incoming connections, editing the conf file, making sure the workgroup is correct and manually killing smbd/nmbd and running the samba startup script...

Any ideas?
    I attempted to use this but my computer doesn't seem to be able to connect. I've verified the IP is correct (and am able to SSH to it without issue.) It gives me the standard generic "Windows can't connect to this computer and refuses to give you any kind of meaningful error message" crap.

This is after configuring Samba to allow incoming connections, editing the conf file, making sure the workgroup is correct and manually killing smbd/nmbd and running the samba startup script...

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by IOCTL View Post

Any ideas?
    This setup is for accessing data on your computer (Mac/Windows) from your Pre. It is not for accessing data on your Pre from your computer.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    This setup is for accessing data on your computer (Mac/Windows) from your Pre. It is not for accessing data on your Pre from your computer.
    This is just a stock version of Samba, so I don't see why it would not be able to do that. Assuming smb.conf is correct and I didn't fat finger with smbpasswd, the only other thing I can think of would be iptables needing a rule to accept incoming nmb/smb connections.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I am trying this on my Touchpad now. Configuring went flawless, but I get a "no such device" error when trying to mount. All data of the device is correct however.
    Last edited by spud101; 08/07/2011 at 10:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I finally figured out how to, you need a testing kernel: F15C.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3058120
    Now that you have tested it, we will add the cifs kernel modules to UberKernel too.

-- Rod
    I tested this with current uberkernal on my touchpad. it will mount ok but navigating (internalz and ssh with wifi from my pc) into the folder and nothing there. strange enough I do see my shared folders if I sftp from my pc (wifi) to my touchpad or when using Novaterm with USB cable.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I'm using uberkernel too now, without any problem! Are you sure you're using test uberkernel and not stable uberkernel? I don't believe it isn't in the stable version yet.
    Last edited by spud101; 08/11/2011 at 04:41 AM.
    Now I am confused. I changed 'stable' uberkernel for latest F15C (3.0.2-37) but it doesnt change the fact that in Xterm I can shee and browse my share from commandline but not in eg Internalz
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    That is weird, for me it worked in Internalz for both F15C and Latest test version of Uberkernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    That is weird, for me it worked in Internalz for both F15C and Latest test version of Uberkernel.
    I followed the samba guideline in this thread. I have tested with a share to my pc (windows). And i have made a share to my qnap NAS system which is linux.

Both have same issue.

It appears that in the other thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3058120 have same issue as me. I guess I can get it to work if I use option a) in smb tools and mount it to \mnt but than webos mediaplayers will not find it
    Last edited by rhodry; 08/11/2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: update
    I have the HP Touchpad 32GB overclocked to 1.8Ghz using F4 Phantom kernel.

I've followed the instructions for creating the file sharing and it worked like a charm. I can stream 720p/1080p MKV videos from my media server using TouchPlayer, but the audio and video gets out of sync very quickly.

Does anyone have any tips to help speed up streaming?