01/24/2010, 01:54 PM
Announcing Xorg Tools - (in development)
Current version: 0.1.3c
Xorg Tools (xt) is a Linux toolset that sets up lower level Linux services or power user functions on webOS devices. Xorg Tools will approach functions that may not make it as a webOS app.
Xorg Tools is intended for Power Users, those generally experienced with making lower level configurations to their phones and computers. This is a functioning framework for power users, not a polished product for consumers. If you already edit system config files, xt is for you. If you are comfortable with command lines and want to learn more about Linux, xt is for you. Using some tools may require some knowledge to setup connectivity with other systems. In some cases Linux/app-specific knowledge is needed for more detailed configuration, but in most cases xt will do the basic setup to get things working.
Xorg Tools runs from a terminal session (or Terminus app available in PreWare) as 'xt' command. As xt matures, it may run from Launcher (launching terminal app with xt menu). Xorg Tools can be used either in menu mode or with command arguments.
Some features are still in development, others are very stable.
1) Diagnostics - analyzes storage usage, seeks known problem areas of webOS devices.
2) Scheduling - sets up Linux cron to allow scheduling apps, daily reboots.
3) Performance - changing priority of key processes (more capabilities in future).
4) Email on media - move email/attachments to media drive
5) optware - base optware setup via web-osinternals (more optware focus coming in future)
6) File Sharing - sets up samba filesharing
7) MyTether 3D Fix - fixes issues with MyTether interfering with 3D games, SDL. (disabled)
8) PreWare Install - easily install/update PreWare from a Terminal session.
9) MobileHotSpot tethering - disabled for now
10) Automated scheduled backup of media drive over WiFi (now available)
11) Dropbox syncing! (now available)
12) IObox syncing. Sync to an inbox/outbox setup on a Windows PC. (now available)
13) Over/underclocking - set desired Mhz (400-800) in LunaSysMgr - use at own risk
14) Manage webOS Updates - block/allow webOS updates
15) Full Media Backup - backup ALL of /media, including apps and PreWare metadata (now available)
16) MediaBox - sync media drive to PC, an async media drive mirror over WiFi
Many more things are planned like aiding the install/setup of webos-internals pages like emulators, vnc, dynamic dns, vpn, network tunables, etc. If needed someday, a malware scanner also might be in xt's future. Taking requests for features/functions that likely would not make it as a webOS app. Am seeking other optware packages that could be useful under webOS - CUPS printing, over WIFI?
A development version is now available. It will not be released on Homebrew installers for a while as this isn't intended for the masses yet. For now xt is for power users who can manage lower level changes if needed.
To install, paste this in a Terminal session or in WebOS Quick Install Linux Commandline...
Run from Terminal prompt...
cd /tmp && wget -qO- http://tinyurl.com/xt-setup | /bin/sh
Check for daily updates as many more features/updates are coming...
You can install xt from webOS QI but must use a real terminal session to use xt. Install the 'Terminal' or 'Terminus' app from PreWare or use ssh/novacom terminal session.
Xorg Tools - Power Tools for Power Users - WebOS Internals
See the home page for more information.
While I'm not taking personal donations, you can donate to the webos-internals cause, maintained by Rod Whitby, to help pay for new servers. In paypal 'special instructions', you can note xorg tools if you want, though I'm essentially donating any proceeds to Rod's efforts.
PayPal Donation to webos-internals