webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > xorg tools = power tools for power users
xorg tools = power tools for power users

Old 01/24/2010, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Announcing Xorg Tools - (in development)

Current version: 0.1.3c

Overview
Xorg Tools (xt) is a Linux toolset that sets up lower level Linux services or power user functions on webOS devices. Xorg Tools will approach functions that may not make it as a webOS app.

Xorg Tools is intended for Power Users, those generally experienced with making lower level configurations to their phones and computers. This is a functioning framework for power users, not a polished product for consumers. If you already edit system config files, xt is for you. If you are comfortable with command lines and want to learn more about Linux, xt is for you. Using some tools may require some knowledge to setup connectivity with other systems. In some cases Linux/app-specific knowledge is needed for more detailed configuration, but in most cases xt will do the basic setup to get things working.

Xorg Tools runs from a terminal session (or Terminus app available in PreWare) as 'xt' command. As xt matures, it may run from Launcher (launching terminal app with xt menu). Xorg Tools can be used either in menu mode or with command arguments.

Some features are still in development, others are very stable.

Features
1) Diagnostics - analyzes storage usage, seeks known problem areas of webOS devices.
2) Scheduling - sets up Linux cron to allow scheduling apps, daily reboots.
3) Performance - changing priority of key processes (more capabilities in future).
4) Email on media - move email/attachments to media drive
5) optware - base optware setup via web-osinternals (more optware focus coming in future)
6) File Sharing - sets up samba filesharing
7) MyTether 3D Fix - fixes issues with MyTether interfering with 3D games, SDL. (disabled)
8) PreWare Install - easily install/update PreWare from a Terminal session.
9) MobileHotSpot tethering - disabled for now
10) Automated scheduled backup of media drive over WiFi (now available)
11) Dropbox syncing! (now available)
12) IObox syncing. Sync to an inbox/outbox setup on a Windows PC. (now available)
13) Over/underclocking - set desired Mhz (400-800) in LunaSysMgr - use at own risk
14) Manage webOS Updates - block/allow webOS updates
15) Full Media Backup - backup ALL of /media, including apps and PreWare metadata (now available)

Coming Soon
16) MediaBox - sync media drive to PC, an async media drive mirror over WiFi

Many more things are planned like aiding the install/setup of webos-internals pages like emulators, vnc, dynamic dns, vpn, network tunables, etc. If needed someday, a malware scanner also might be in xt's future. Taking requests for features/functions that likely would not make it as a webOS app. Am seeking other optware packages that could be useful under webOS - CUPS printing, over WIFI?

Installing
A development version is now available. It will not be released on Homebrew installers for a while as this isn't intended for the masses yet. For now xt is for power users who can manage lower level changes if needed.

To install, paste this in a Terminal session or in WebOS Quick Install Linux Commandline...

Code:
cd /tmp && wget -qO- http://tinyurl.com/xt-setup | /bin/sh
Run from Terminal prompt...
xt

Check for daily updates as many more features/updates are coming...
xt upd

You can install xt from webOS QI but must use a real terminal session to use xt. Install the 'Terminal' or 'Terminus' app from PreWare or use ssh/novacom terminal session.

Homepage
Xorg Tools - Power Tools for Power Users - WebOS Internals

See the home page for more information.

While I'm not taking personal donations, you can donate to the webos-internals cause, maintained by Rod Whitby, to help pay for new servers. In paypal 'special instructions', you can note xorg tools if you want, though I'm essentially donating any proceeds to Rod's efforts.

PayPal Donation to webos-internals

Last edited by xorg; 04/14/2010 at 07:09 PM.
xorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2010, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sample Diagnostics
Code:
Gathering diag report, hold please...
var used:          46MB 19%
var available:     202MB
# crypto apps:     72
email used:        9MB on /media
attachment used:   8MB on /media
var tmp used:      0MB
opt used:          61MB
ipkg lists:        0MB
WiFi addr:         192.168.1.100
EVDO addr:         173.151.252.33
cron scheduling:   enabled
cron entries:      7
webOS updates:     allowed
800Mhz patch:      installed
BogoMIPS:          723.07

LunaSysMgr max/min Mhz:

Recommendations...

- Keep "var used" well below 125MB.
Howto: Backup your media drive over Wifi

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...rive_over_WiFi

Howto: Sync with Dropbox filesharing service

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Dropbox_Syncing

Last edited by xorg; 04/12/2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01/24/2010, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Howto: MyTether 3D fix

This will fix issues with older versions of MyTether interfering with 3D games and SDL. The latest MyTether version does not have this issue and the developer has his own fix so I have removed the fix from the xt menu. However the fix is still within xt. If you still have the 3D issues due to MyTether, you can still access within xt....

xt tth

Howto: Share a Windows drive on your Pre with Xorg Tools

This uses Samba and is experimental. It works well but has its caveats. xt will install both inbound/outbound setups but I'm only recommending outbound connections for now (mount remote drive shares to webOS).

Samba is a massive service and deserves its own thread. Here's a thread dedicated to Samba filesharing with installation instructions via xorg tools...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...rt-thread.html

Last edited by xorg; 03/04/2010 at 12:00 PM.
Thanked By: Veritas06
Old 01/24/2010, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Howto: Reboot your webOS phone daily

On Pre (with xt installed):
- run 'xt' in a Terminal session
- all) all menus
- sch) scheduling menu
- ecr) enable cron (if not already enabled)
- drb) daily reboot
- enter the hour in 24 hour format (such as 4 for 4am or 16 for 4pm)
- enter minute

Your webOS phone will reboot each day at that time.

To remove, perform the above and enter 'r' for the hour.

Howto: Launch a webOS app at a certain time

This is useful if you want to wake up in the morning with email and/or calendar ready for you or if there are any app(s) you'd like to popup daily at a certain time.

- all) all menus
- sch) scheduling menu
- sca) schedule any app
- type in partial name of app
(has to be partial package name for now, like 'email' or 'calendar' or 'preware')
- it will list all app packages that have that partial name, if you don't want the app listed, tap enter to skip to the next
- enter 's' to schedule when the app you want appears (or 'r' to remove if it has been scheduled)
- enter hour in 24-hour format (4 for 4am, 16 for 4pm)
- enter minute

It will show you the cron entry for that app. That app will be launched daily at the time specified. You can schedule as many apps as you'd like.

To remove, perform the above and when the app that is installed is found, select 'r' to remove.

Caveats
There are some known issues with cron and newer version of webOS. Due to power management, webOS suspends cron in power saving mode so cron will generally only work when the phone is in use, wakes up from some event or is charging. If running overnight tasks, best to charge to the phone to ensure it runs.

Manual Cron Edit
More on manual cron setup here...
http://www.pantz.org/software/cron/croninfo.html

# To edit the crontab manually
mount -o remount,rw /
vi /etc/cron/crontabs/root
mount -o remount,ro /

# Restart cron after any changes
initctl stop mod-crond
initctl start mod-crond

Tips and Tricks for Advanced Power Users

You can use the cron scheduler to launch webos functions such as Airplane mode or adjust the ringer volume. I have problems with my ringer volume set too low accidentally at times so I schedule to put ringer to max every morning.

This should only be used by advanced power users who know how to adjust the cron table manually. You can use xt to setup the cron, but I don't recommend setting this up unless you know how cron works and how to edit.

Run 'xt'
- all) all menus
- sch) scheduling menu
- src) schedule root command

When it asks for the command, paste this to set ringer volume. Adjust volume level 0-100.

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.audio/ringtone/setVolume '{"volume":100}'

Then when prompted enter the hour/minute to run each day. Edit the cron table to meet your schedule needs.

To turn airplane mode on/off.. Careful about scheduling windows if also using xt for scheduled media backups.

Create a cron entry, set a time, such as 1AM...
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"airplaneMode":true}'

Create a second cron entry for a later time, such as 6AM...
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"airplaneMode":false}'

Can save battery. I believe there is already a webOS app do this, just giving demonstrations.

More webOS commands can be found here. Some are not cron friendly, but I'll be adding more...

Luna Send - WebOS Internals

I'm thinking about creating an /etc/event.d Upstart generator wizard within xt so that you can have such commands run on certain conditions/events rather than schedule.

Last edited by xorg; 03/02/2010 at 01:56 PM.
Thanked by opacityzero, Veritas06
Old 01/24/2010, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Howto: Move email and attachments from /var to media drive

Palm still places email and attachments on /var, which can get tight on space, especially if using optware as well. This will allow you to move the email and attachments to the media drive. It will be moved to /media/internal/.data and a symbolic link will be created to the new location.

Move email to media drive:
- bas) basic menu
- lem) link email menu
- mem) move email to media drive

Move email/attachments back to /var:
- bas) basic menu
- lem) link email menu
- var) move email back to /var

This is very stable - mvapp users have been using this for months with no reported issues.

Last edited by xorg; 03/02/2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01/24/2010, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Xorg, this looks very nice. I'll install it, and give you feedback or do more testing for you if you ask. (Just PM me with any specific requests.)
Old 01/24/2010, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

My WebOsQI command line screen dissapeared when I gave it your command:
cd /tmp; wget -qO- http://tinyurl.com/xt-setup | /bin/sh
so I modified it as follows:
cd /tmp && wget -qO- http://tinyurl.com/xt-setup | /bin/sh
Old 01/24/2010, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

^Thanks, I've made the change.

Looking forward to your feedback. Keep in mind that samba fileshares are still experimental. All other functions have been stable.
Old 01/24/2010, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

I used to have a rooted Pre (from the pre WebOS QI days). I had to doctor it once after themes messed things up and I haven't bothered to set up terminal access since then because WebOsQI was usually good enough. (Once I set up the ssh account again I'll hofefully be able provide more feedback.)
Old 01/24/2010, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

the setup script assumes /usr/local/bin exists and doesn't exit if install fails, which happens if that dir doesn't exist. Perhaps add mkdir -p /usr/local/bin to the script?
angiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xorg
Old 01/24/2010, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

^try again, had that in new version, but in wrong dropbox folder. it's actually in the xt.setup script.
Old 01/24/2010, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

I worked around it, thanks.
angiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2010, 06:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Question I have hamachi setup to share my exteranl drive via wan. Will I be able to just add the ip address for the external drive and access the information from the Pre?

Browser Mega Mix|Email Mega Mix|Additional Sync Days|
Disable Various Phone Sounds|Priority Discard Buttons|
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2010, 07:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
Question I have hamachi setup to share my exteranl drive via wan. Will I be able to just add the ip address for the external drive and access the information from the Pre?
hamachi vpn? probably wouldn't work via evdo.. but if you are within the same segment (via wifi) and the drive allows local segment connections to the external drive that is smb compliant, it might work. depends on how you are configured.

See this for hamachi on webos...
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/HamachiVPN

Last edited by xorg; 01/25/2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01/24/2010, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've made some changes to xt to have better command handling. Also suggest using preware to load initial optware as it may not work for some. 'xt opt' then 'cro' will tell you what to do.

For those who have installed xt, just do this to update latest xt...
xt upd

For those who have not yet installed xt, the install instructions in first post will always get you the latest.

Check for updates everyday or more with 'xt upd' as I'll be in mega dev mode based on feedback.

Last edited by xorg; 01/24/2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01/24/2010, 07:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

I installed samba and tried to share my drive, what is the local mount point?

Browser Mega Mix|Email Mega Mix|Additional Sync Days|
Disable Various Phone Sounds|Priority Discard Buttons|
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2010, 07:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

It's the directory you want to mount the external drive on. You need to define a local mount point on webos, like /mnt/C or /media/internal/C. I would recommend either /mnt/(sharename) or /media/internal/(sharename).

If you decide on something else or messed up, you can back out by removing the mount point definitions by doing...

xt smb
rmp

Then recreate the mount point definition with...
xt smb
amp

When created, mount the mount points doing..
xt smb
mnt

You can then see the mount points in Terminal..
df

Shows...
/mnt/(sharename)
or
/media/internal/(sharename)

I think I may update xt to only allow using /mnt or /media/internal for those who are new to this.

Last edited by xorg; 01/24/2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01/24/2010, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Samba is a massive tool with all kinds of config options. Here is a thread dedicated to it...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...rt-thread.html
Old 01/24/2010, 09:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hello xorg,
I was able to install and use novaterm but after a bit, my USB ports on my laptop started giving me trouble and then WebOsQI wasn't responding. I was able to run xt from the terminal app and from there I was able to choose your menu to configure optware with a non-root user. I had a little trouble seeing the 3 letter commands that I needed to type. I believe there is a linux command (something like menu but I don't recall the exact details) where you can number each option and be able to enter the number. For interactive mode, if your script could number each command from 1 to n and allow the numbers to be entered (as an alternate to typing the 3-letter command) then that would make it easier for interactive users within the terminal app to get things done. (I'll try and give you more feedback once I find a way to get a reasonably sized terminal window working again.)
Old 01/24/2010, 10:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

^BE sure to run 'xt upd' as I've already posted a new version tonite.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I am using 3-letter commands because they can be used directly in the command line from xt, like 'xt upd' for updates, 'xt dia' for diag, etc. Would be more difficult to remember with numbers.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0