Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    A new version of xt has been posted - xt 0.1.1d

To ensure everyone gets the latest version, paste/type this in the terminal session or webOS QI linux command line...

Code:
    cd /tmp && wget -qO- http://tinyurl.com/xt-setup | /bin/sh
    Do not use the 'xt upd' as it may not work for some yet. The above will ensure you get the latest version and prepare the update function to work with plugins.

New users should also use the above command, which is the same in the first post of this thread.

New since last version:

- Full Media Backup and Dropbox functions now maintain timestamps of the files on copy
    - Full Media Backup and Dropbox functions now check if USB drive is mounted. Won't perform backup if USB mounted.
    - Timeout of 2 minutes has been added during backup in case WiFi disappears during a backup/dropbox sync. It will cleanly exit. Backup or dropbox sync will resume on the next cycle or manual sync.

Next version coming will allow to exclude certain folders/files.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I read in your Dropbox link to webosinternals that rsync would be easier to set up for OS X. Do you think you'll be doing anything for OS X (backing up / syncing) with xorg tools?

I have been using Dropbox for a couple of years and love it. But I wouldn't want ALL my folders synced to the Pre, just some pictures and documents. I'll have to study up on how to use rsync and selectively sync folders and files.

Thanks for all your efforts.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^I don't have access to a Mac but I may do something for Linux using just rsync daemon on the Linux side - should be the same for Mac. If you set up samba services for Mac, you could create a share as described in the wiki and use the current xt method.

The xt dropbox sync doesn't do the entire dbx folder. You create a folder within dropbox and and xt only syncs to that subfolder.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    A new version of xt has been posted - xt 0.1.1f

If you have xt 0.1.1d or higher, you can update with..

xt upd

Everyone else should paste/type this in the terminal session or webOS QI linux command line...

Code:
    cd /tmp && wget -qO- http://tinyurl.com/xt-setup | /bin/sh

New users should also use the above command, which is the same in the first post of this thread.

New since last version:

- Easier method to remove Media Backup/Dropbox functions (new menu items)
    - Media Backup: Able to setup exclusion file to exclude certain files (see wiki).
    - Dropbox: Fix for files not deleting in some cases when removed from outbox (wiki).
    - Some internal restructuring of xt to use a config file for global variables
    - Scheduling menu allows setup to run any linux command (for experienced power users only)
    Just a note to say thanks and give feedback that I am successfully backing up my pre to an OpenSolaris media/fileserver via the xt commands.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Great, you are the first person to report doing backup to non-Windows. So did you just setup a cifs sharename of 'mediabackup'? Did you have to do anything else?

Thanks for reporting.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Tips and Tricks for Advanced Power Users

You can use the cron scheduler to launch webos functions such as Airplane mode or adjust the ringer volume. I have problems with my ringer volume set too low accidentally at times so I schedule to put ringer to max every morning.

This should only be used by advanced power users who know how to adjust the cron table manually. You can use xt to setup the cron, but I don't recommend setting this up unless you know how cron works and how to edit.

Run 'xt'
    - sch) scheduling
    - src) schedule root command

When it asks for the command, paste this to set ringer volume. Adjust volume level 0-100.

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.audio/ringtone/setVolume '{"volume":100}'

Then when prompted enter the hour/minute to run each day. Edit the cron table to meet your schedule needs.

More webOS commands can be found here. Some are not cron friendly, but I'll be adding more...

Luna Send - WebOS Internals

I'm thinking about creating an /etc/event.d Upstart generator wizard within xt so that you can have such commands run on certain conditions/events rather than schedule.
    Last edited by xorg; 02/03/2010 at 04:34 PM.
    Is it possible to use that for the Media volume as well?
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Are you talking backups? Yes, this link is specific to backing up the entire media volume (except for crypto apps), which can also be scheduled.

Backup Media Drive over WiFi - WebOS Internals
    No, I meant the Media (music, video, timepiece, etc...) volume... is there a way to schedule that to be raised (or lowered) at specified times?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Found it.. me love dbus capturing... easy to find any webos service.

Set volume 0-100...

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.audio/system/setVolume '{"volume":80}'

Can trigger functions inside of any apps too via luna-send if you use dbus to find the call. I've posted instructions at bottom of luna-send wiki on how to find webOS services and translate to luna-send command.

Luna Send - WebOS Internals
    Awesome... I'll be reading up before I use this, but thank you.
    When setting up a cronjob through this, should it still work when the Pre goes into sleep? (ie. screen goes blank)

I have a script setup that, when executed, sends gps coordinates to a page on my server. I have the cron set to go every 5 minutes. But, if I leave my phone alone for a period of time (over 5 minutes), it doesn't send. When I bring the phone out of sleep by pressing the power button or sliding it open, the job runs and actually executes the script twice....
    Corey Quilliam
    Palm Pre - Bell Mobility

Pre Drop Count: 1
    Current Damage: None

Accessories:
    - BSE Front Skin (meh, could be better)
    What if my desktop is behind a firewall? I was able to get ampache and lighttpd working in the past, but I can't seem to get samba or dropbox working.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cquilliam View Post
    When setting up a cronjob through this, should it still work when the Pre goes into sleep? (ie. screen goes blank)
    Hmm... this is indeed still an issue. I thought it was resolved but when I was testing, my phone must have been charging. I'll need to post that caveat until getting a chance to look into. In the meantime, the jobs will only run while the phone is charging or in use. It limits some types of cron jobs.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Hmm... this is indeed still an issue. I thought it was resolved but when I was testing, my phone must have been charging. I'll need to post that caveat until getting a chance to look into. In the meantime, the jobs will only run while the phone is charging or in use. It limits some types of cron jobs.
    interesting...

I use reboot cron at 3am so i never noticed this issue.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by odontastic View Post
    What if my desktop is behind a firewall? I was able to get ampache and lighttpd working in the past, but I can't seem to get samba or dropbox working.
    You'll need to open port 445 (and maybe 137-139).
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Curious... I did some more testing and most things work in cron when the phone is asleep. Some things don't.

Backup, dropbox sync worked. If I define a webos app to run it works. With no charging, phone asleep for 10min before it ran.

But if I setup a cron job to run 'date >>/tmp/date.out' every minute, it skips running when asleep and resumes when awake.

If any of you could test, please test with phone not in charger and give it plenty time after it sleeps, 10+ minutes.

If using dropbox, schedule to run every 10 minutes. Let phone go to sleep w/out charging. Check the dbx log 20 minutes later. It's in the dbx menu, view sync log. Check timestamp of start/stop times.

Another thing to try is to schedule email or calendar app in the sch, schedule any app menu. Schedule it to run at a future minute with the current hour, let the phone sleep 10 minutes before the launch time, check 10 minutes after launch time if the app is there.

PM me with the results. Thanks in advance to those willing to test.
    So today, after upgrading and resetting the backup settings, which was working for the past several days.

I now am getting 'permission denied' on setting times error 13.

All it did was make the directories and not copy any files at all, just kept broadcasting that it was denied from making time changes.

Any ideas, I did make sure that the backup directory 'mediabackup' had all the permission set to FULL for the user that I created to do this backup, which as I said was working the other day.

I made sure the user had the FULL access and I made sure the folder itself had that user as having FULL permissions.

Not sure what the difference was in the prior version that make this all stop working.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I just thought of a question:

I had set my backup to run at 3am. So because it is running from CRON, and it happens in the background. I don't need to have the Terminal app open.

The only way I know it's running is that my Pre is handling a little slower than usual.

So my question is this, is there anyway you can have a notification screen pop up that it's kicked off a CRON schedule, so we can know it's started.

I know we can look at the table that we've setup, but that is just the setup table.

When I run XT in Terminal, after something has started in the background, there is no way from a menu choice, to look at what is happening during this background CRON scheduled backup.

So I'm just asking if there is a way to either notify us or have a command that we can use to look at what's happening.

I know my UNIX is limited, but I sort of remember there was a command that you could run that would let you know what processes are running?

I wonder if that would be what I am asking for here?

Thanks!

Rob

PS I just looked it up, it's PS with a variety of switches. But too much info popped out!
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 02/04/2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: added addition info
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast