Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^thanks.

For those interested in dropbox, I've got a sync function working well now between my Pre and a PC that has dropbox. It syncs every 30 minutes (which is of course configurable), using samba and rsync. Very cool to drop a file on any of my PCs and it simply shows up on my Pre. Oh so cool.

The basic functionality is working but I still need to code the setup via menus. It might be posted this weekend, but if there are testing issues, it might be the following weekend. For those who want dropbox to Pre, this is looking promising.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    ^thanks.

For those interested in dropbox, I've got a sync function working well now between my Pre and a PC that has dropbox. It syncs every 30 minutes (which is of course configurable), using samba and rsync. Very cool to drop a file on any of my PCs and it simply shows up on my Pre. Oh so cool.

The basic functionality is working but I still need to code the setup via menus. It might be posted this weekend, but if there are testing issues, it might be the following weekend. For those who want dropbox to Pre, this is looking promising.
    Nice
    Ok, I've been play with XTools... I have a question about scheduling reboots:

I'm prompted to enter an hour of 0-23 and a minute 0-59.

Should I be entering just a '2' for 2am or '02' for 2am, usually I would normally think I had to enter a '02' but I'm not sure in this case.

The same thing goes for the minutes, if I want to reboot on the hour such as 2:00am, should I be entering just '0' for 00 minutes or '00' for 00 minutes, since the option is listed as 0-59.

If it's really 00-59 can you change the prompt to say that? Actually I think it should be with the extra digit in both the hour and the minute... so 00-23 and 00-59.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Single digits are fine.
    ^thanks.

This is great! Can't wait to give it a try.
    Here is another option that can be added to Xorg Tools, a means to do a full backup to either the USB partition, or if you have the Samba or Lighttpd installed, a full backup to your PC computer via WIFI.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Yes, I have wireless backup of media drive functioning too, which works like dropbox, just not tied to the dropbox folder. Pretty cool to take a picture and it just shows up on your computer.

This and dropbox syncing is coming together pretty well... the next step of webos living in the cloud.

I'm also restructuring the whole script to work as a series of plugins. The plugins themselves create dynamically generated menus.

Hope to have this posted later this weekend - if I can avoid scope creep.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'm seeking testers for Dropbox syncing as well as full media backup over WiFi to a Windows PC.

It would help if you know how to use vi editor in case you need to make manual changes. So far 3 users have had successful installs and syncing.

Read carefully the Requirements in this link. If you don't know how to find the IP address on a Windows PC, this isn't for you.

Dropbox Syncing - WebOS Internals
    I'm seeking testers for Dropbox syncing as well as full media backup over WiFi to a Windows PC.

It would help if you know how to use vi editor in case you need to make manual changes. So far 3 users have had successful installs and syncing.

Read carefully the Requirements in this link. If you don't know how to find the IP address on a Windows PC, this isn't for you.

Hi,

I just installed Dropbox on my PC, I didn't know what it was until I read all about it.

Quite frankly, they only give you 2GB free, and the Pre is a 8GB device, so using this to copy the entire Pre would mean getting the Dropbox upgrade which the cheapest plan is $10 per month.

But of course, I'm going to play with it to test everything out.

So I got that installed and working.

I then used XT to install Optware and that went ok.

However when I ran the LOP command, it just said successfully completed, wasn't it supposed to show the list of packages?

I then ran the SMB command to install Samba and got an error;

An error occurred, return value 4. Collected errors: Cannot find package 'samba2'.

Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'!

So since I didn't type anything, expect the command smb?

Any ideas?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Yes, I have wireless backup of media drive functioning too, which works like dropbox, just not tied to the dropbox folder. Pretty cool to take a picture and it just shows up on your computer.

This and dropbox syncing is coming together pretty well... the next step of webos living in the cloud.

I'm also restructuring the whole script to work as a series of plugins. The plugins themselves create dynamically generated menus.

Hope to have this posted later this weekend - if I can avoid scope creep.
    I think I would like to use the wireless backup of the media drive over Dropbox, since Dropbox is not free after 2GB and then it's too expensive for this poor soul!

Rob

PS Working on testing out Dropbox now, I'm waiting for my Pre to reboot so I can try to install Samba again.

Thanks!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Yes, sounds like you want the backup solutioin. Dropbox is used for filesharing a few files between computers, not necessarily a backup solution. It's a very useful tool for sharing files.
    Ok, I tried everything and read in WebOS Internals on how to install Samba.

So I tried to do it without using XT to do it for me and I am still getting the same error 4.

Check the spelling or run ipkg-opt update?

I did try and type in: sudo mount -o remount,rw / according to the instructions.

Funny, when I type sudo, I'm getting -sh: sudo: not found.

So tried the command without the sudo remark, I just typed in 'mount -o remount,rw /' and it doesn't give me any kind of error, just a prompt.

Then I tried ipkg-opt update and I get back 'Successfully terminated'

Then I tried ipkg-opt install samba and that when I get that error 4, saying can't find package samba.

So this is using terminal as well as the novacom terminal from the PC with the Pre hooked up via USB cable.

As I originally said, I'm not really a Unix person, although I had classes years ago, so it's all rusty to me. But I just keep typing in google the commands to remind me what they are.

Oh yes, one thing I also tried at the beginning, was to: login root

and when I did a who, it just said 'root was on.

Any ideas of to what I am doing wrong, or should I just give up. I don't like giving up, I can follow directions. I'm so unhappy with myself.. I want to make this work!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Good news... it turns out there is cifs filesharing support built into the webos kernel and samba/optware do not need to be installed for dropbox/media backup to work.

Start with the setup instructions...

Run the xt2.setup script on that page and then follow the instructions.

Please PM me if there are issues rather than posting here.

For those who had issues installing (just one report so far), rerun the xt2.setup script in link above.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Damn, why didn't I see this earlier. I just got SFTP running. Samba would have been better. Oh well, something I will get into in the future.

Is this all command line only, or has hit some webOS GUI config screens?
    I assume all tools will be callable from webOS apps, won't they? Through PDK or the webos internals equivalent?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^yeah, xorg tools is and probably will always be terminal driven, which is why it's for 'power users'. It is a quick way to get into the internals, though now the PDK will make it easier. It's still difficult to get a webos app and lower level linux commands to talk to each other. If the function is found to be very useful, the code is open so any webos app developer can port any function to a webos app. And besides, I'm a systems programmer, not an app developer.

xt will eventually be on Preware though, where it will launch Terminal/xt app together from the Launcher. Might be couple weeks to a month or more - xt is still generally in development mode.
    Last edited by xorg; 02/01/2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Here are instructions on how to Backup Media Drive over WiFi to a Windows PC, using xorg tools...

Backup Media Drive over WiFi - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    An update to xt has been posted - xt 0.1.1a:

- Gets rid of error for outbox log in dropbox sync
    - New update function to handle updating plugins
    - No longer uses samba/optware, just cifs in kernel

For those who already have xt installed, run update twice...
    xt upd
    re-run xt
    xt upd
    re-run xt

Running it twice will get the new plugins. From this point on, you don't need to run update twice. I'm heavy into adding new features/fixes so check for daily updates.

For those new to xorg tools, use the install instructions in first post of this thread.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    An update to xt has been posted - xt 0.1.1a:

- Gets rid of error for outbox log in dropbox sync
    - New update function to handle updating plugins
    - No longer uses samba/optware, just cifs in kernel

For those who already have xt installed, run update twice...
    xt upd
    re-run xt
    xt upd
    re-run xt

Running it twice will get the new plugins. From this point on, you don't need to run update twice. I'm heavy into adding new features/fixes so check for daily updates.
    For those new to xorg tools, use the install instructions in first post of this thread.

SO i updated and saw the new version....If this no longer uses samba, why does it still check that you have samba installed in the dbi menu. or rather indicates taht it is checking? An since it doe not use samba....should i just remove samba or are you going to have a cleanup old version in your new dbi setup?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Did you run update twice? The first update installs the new plugin updater, the second time you run 'xt upd' it will actually update the plugins. Then try dbi.

If you don't need samba you can remove it....
    ipkg-opt remove samba2

I don't remove it incase someone actually wants it installed as it could still be used as a samba server. And only 4 early testers had samba installed anyway, you being one of them.

BTW, thanks for testing. Was helpful.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    ^Did you run update twice? The first update installs the new plugin updater, the second time you run 'xt upd' it will actually update the plugins. Then try dbi.

If you don't need samba you can remove it....
    ipkg-opt remove samba2

I don't remove it incase someone actually wants it installed as it could still be used as a samba server. And only 4 early testers had samba installed anyway, you being one of them.

BTW, thanks for testing. Was helpful.
    THen i assume that you did not update your menus to reflect the fact that it does not need Samba installed. (just some nitty gritty thats all)
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast