Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I figured you might push back on the numbers idea. I suspected you were using the same commands for non-interactive use and that numbers might make your code more complicated. I was actually suggesting both (where numbers would be synomyms for the names), but I agree that would get confusing so I'm happy to drop the suggestion (especially since I haven't looked at your scripts yet.)

I finally figured out my USB problem. I had been experimenting with the USB Passthrough without understanding it. I turned on some options and then turned them back off, but they were still turned on as far as the Pre's USB interface was concerned. I finally figured out that I could type "mpt disable" (without the quotes) in the terminal app, and that fixed things. So this means I at least got WebOsQI and novaterm.exe working again. Ssh should not be far behind (as I configured it using your xt via the terminal app). Just the simple fact that I was able to configure the optware tools via the terminal app via your xt tools was pretty helpful and awesome to me. I also like that you put some MyTether tools there (but I've decided to never use mytether again if I can help it).

I'm probably not going to need all the tools, but I quickly ran through the menus and I think my next step is to look at your code.

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Bob, thanks for the suggestions - don't stop making them. I'll still consider numbers as an addition if it makes sense. Feels like stepping back to 70s mainframe with this text menu bs, but this is the basis of xt navigation for now. I might tinker with a lighthttp web-based interface in the future.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^That's intentional for now as I'm not ready for xt to be too easy to install just yet. xt will eventually be available in PreWare as an ipk but xt is not ready for mass install just yet as it's still in development.

You can paste the install script in a terminal session (Putty, etc), type in Terminal app or paste in webOS QI linux command line. Then you can use the Terminal app more easily.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    ^That's intentional for now as I'm not ready for xt to be too easy to install just yet. xt will eventually be available in PreWare as an ipk but xt is not ready for mass install just yet as it's still in development.

You can paste the install script in a terminal session (Putty, etc), type in Terminal app or paste in webOS QI linux command line. Then you can use the Terminal app more easily.
    Can you add an option to display if cron is enable and also what tasks are scheduled?

Also...Does any native WEOBS apps/tasks use cron? Meangin if I now disable it....wil it not run something that it should?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    Can you add an option to display if cron is enable and also what tasks are scheduled?

Also...Does any native WEOBS apps/tasks use cron? Meangin if I now disable it....wil it not run something that it should?
    I'll add showing the cron state when going to that page. Should be posted tonite.

Cron is not even enabled by Palm so if you shut it off, it won't impact Palm-installed services since they don't use it.

xt will install each crontab entry with a #xt- comment tag so that you know which ones were created with xt.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    This script looks good, I like the direction you're taking it. I've installed it and played around with some options, and it'll be useful.

My dream app for WebOS continues to be a more legible/functional terminal emulator...
    xorg-

I found this awesome tool when searching for how to fully remove MyTether and glad I did!!! In particular the scheduling of apps as I always wanted to make an app to turn the phone's radio on/off, but couldn't figure how to schedule it without having the app running. Thanks to this, now I can make an invisible app and have it scheduled to run them (unless of course you can build this idea into your tool as I noticed you already have the reboot feature, so it's half way there!)

btw, how does one completely remove mytether using your app? I only see the feature to fix it for 3d apps to work correctly.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 01/25/2010 at 04:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    You asked for it, you got it. Added function to remove MyTether service and app as well. Will be released tonight. Also have lot of other minor improvements, so check with 'xt upd' later tonite.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    xt 0.1.0i is posted...

- shows cron status, current cron entries
    - more samba options, shows defined mount points, does df after mount/unmount, set passwd
    - remove mytether option in addition to patch fix
    - shows wifi/evdo address in menu
    - several menu changes, more robust messages

To update....
    xt upd

Might post another update late tonite.

Am taking more requests... fire away.
    Very cool, thanks!!! Not to mention quick

Do you think you'll be able to incorporate the turning the phone's radio on/off on a schedule as well?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^There are several ways to turn radio on/off. You could add these commands in cron (not tested)...

Stop radios...
    /sbin/initctl stop TelephonyInterfaceLayer PmWiFiService bluetooth

Start radios...
    /sbin/initctl start TelephonyInterfaceLayer PmWiFiService bluetooth

I imagine there's a command to do airplane mode, or a luna-send to do it.

You could manually add these with crontab -e if you know vi editor and cron. Right now xt only adds fixed functions for reboot and webos apps to cron. I could add the option to run any root command but might leave that alone to those who know how to edit crontab manually. I'll likely stick with controlled commands to keep it safe.

I'll test the radio on/off and if it works cleanly, I'll add it specifically, but might be a couple days. In the meantime, there's an app in PreWare that does this, I think called Battery Saver.
    Last edited by xorg; 01/26/2010 at 09:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    BTW, no more updates for tonite, I'm playing Assassin's Creed.
    This is exactly what I've been looking for!

Now I can some tools that will help me learn Linux!

I had Unix classes a few years back and now that I'm on a Pre, I need to get back into it and with these tools (and some of the features mentioned are what I've been looking for).

Can't wait to try it.

I'm wondering if someone can recommend a good Linux/WebOS book to read to get started with some simple basic stuff to get started and to at least have some reference books.

I still have my Unix school books.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Wow, for a novice (I consider myself a novice in the Linux arena, but I am a tech), I found it easy to use so far.

If I did things correctly, I now have what I've been wanting for a long time. A way to reboot the Pre daily.

I used the 'sch' command and just entered the info as I was prompted to do.

Very simple!

Please add more, this is great!

Maybe one day we can have a front end for truly novice users, but right now this is great for the techies and power users.

One suggestion off the top of my head:

Just have one command that will pretty much undo anything that we did, so that we can get back to a default setting should be run into trouble. Maybe track in the background everything we do or alter, this was you can use that information to rebuild the Pre back to an original state.

And of course, we can always just do a doctor, in the end!

Rob

Oh yes, how about a command to do a clean up of temp files, old log files, sort of like Windows has in their 'disk cleanup' utility.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Keep the ideas coming!

I'm working on figuring out how to back out of things. Most every function has a backout already but I'm contemplating a backout of all changes and how to approach that. IE, should a full backout remove software packages or just the config changes?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Is there a way to view the processor clock speed in realtime with this application? This would be cool, as I am testing something in my spare time and viewing this would help me out.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    If you mean showing the actual Mhz, no. You can see the %CPU usage with 'top' command. You can see cpu info with...

cat /proc/cpuinfo
    I clicked on this thread thinking that someone had created an X Windows server for the Pre. It looks useful though, so I'll check it out.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^yeah, i figured using 'xt' would be ok long term as an x-windows port isn't exactly practical for webOS.

BTW, I did some dbus captures and found how to enable/disable Airplane mode via command line.... will use this instead of initctl's above for a cron job.

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"airplaneMode":true}'
    I just wanted to say thank you SO much for this. Earlier today, I downloaded Assassin's Creed and got amazingly addicted in a very short time. Then, this evening, I was helping a friend get MyTether working on his Pre, and of course, in order to be able to give him proper instructions, I first got it working on my Pre. Little did I realize that in doing so, I would break my beloved new game! I was lucky enough to stumble upon this thread and after following your instructions, I was able to properly uninstall MyTether and regain the use of my game. So far, I haven't used any of the other features, but I'm looking forward to playing with those too. A million thank yous!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast