02/28/2014, 04:29 AM
Pre 3 (webOS 2.2.4) user here, thought I'd document my experience thus far in getting VBA to work.
- The App Catalog (as accessed through a browser) claims to have version 1.3.4 up for $5, but whatever official feeds my Pre 3 seem to be pulling from only list v1.3.1 at what appears to be an old sale price of $2.99. Not sure why that is.
- So, I went looking for the latest version in Preware, but couldn't find it until I disabled the device compatibility check in Preware's preferences. After doing that, v1.3.4 became visible, so I went ahead and installed it (what's the worst that can happen, right? ) Launching it, however, was a no-go: The app lights up for a bit, then nothing.
- Out of curiosity, I tried to launch it from Xecutah/XTerm:
./vba: error while loading shared libraries: libsrv_um.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
Well, crud. The libraries must have changed between the Pre Plus (my old phone) and the Pre 3...
- Found references to grazzt's website at grazzt.ca (archived) , but unfortunately none of the IPKs were archived and all references appear to be long dead.
- Went snooping and found http://184.108.40.206/ , also dead.
- Found mrxff's recompiled version for the Pre 3, albeit it's not packaged. Downloaded it, extracted it (creating a binary called VisualBoyAdvance), copied it to the USB drive, and then did the following via novacom/novaterm:
mv vba vba.bak
mv /media/internal/VisualBoyAdvance ./vba
- Tried running it again from the Launcher. Lo and behold, it works!
I may try my hand at repackaging the app with mrxff's recompiled binary so it's easier to install. Once done, I'll probably post it here. But for now, that should be enough information to get anyone with a Pre 3 who still wants it after all this time up and running again.