Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No, pretty much by design the App Catalog version will take a little longer to update.

For Preware, the webOS-Internals guys can upload something to their server immediately as it's finished and have it show up in their feed.

In the Palm Beta / Palm Web feeds, it goes up not quite as fast, but pretty much immediately, as I understand it. The app just goes through an automated security check.

For the Palm App Catalog, the game needs to be manually reviewed and approved by Palm.
    That's what I thought. So even if I bought the app, it would still be better to download the Preware version.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    Okay for you pixi users out there (if you're subscribed to this thread... heh) I just tried to build for the pixi, but found out that some of the ARM assembly I wrote for the emulation core uses instructions not on the pixi. I can of course use slower equivalents here, but that'll take more time than I have right now (I had around 15 minutes). Once that's done, I *think* the pixi should work, although I can't promise anything about performance--good or bad.

Just thought I'd give you guys a status udate, and let you know I'm not IGNORING the pixi user base ... and hopefully good things to come.
    any idea when the release will be?

and do you know if it will work with 1.4.1.1 on verizon?

thanks.
    the current version requires 1.4.5 i think this will be the same for a future pixi version.
    Also when this version is out the verizon update should be too
    Hope he releases the source to the project, as gpsp is opensource and the rom launcher is a copy of the VBA launcher
    anyway its still pretty buggy and many games are not working at all or have sound issues. Sure some games work very well with sound but there is much work to do to get it working as stable as VBA.
    I hope the author continues his work or atleast release the source.

PS: this ipk release contains copyrighted nintendo material (GBA Bios) which is required by gpsp....
  5.    #925  
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonadeRDX View Post
    Hi dtzWill

I just want to let you know there's somebody made a good gpsp port to webos with a full rewritten of the video output part with opengles. Full speed and perfect sound asks for only about 50% CPU load.
    It appears you're posting that with good intentions, so I'd like to apologize in advance if I seem a bit harsh or defensive. None of this is directed at you , but it DOES need to be said.

Here's the list of reasons we shouldn't use software:
    • Violation of the GPL, part 1. That port is based on gpsp which was only ever openly published under the GPL. It actually went closed-source because of people stealing code, and since then its authors (Exophase is the main one I believe) are a bit possessive of the source and keep it to themselves and those they trust (understandable given what happened). There is a minuscule chance the developer of this has such blessings, but given the rest of the issues here I don't think so.
    • Violation of the GPL, part 2. Just run that app. See that rom selector? Look, uh, familiar (for those who don't run it see youtube videos of the two apps to see what I mean)? That's because I wrote the whole thing and he put his name on it and changed the font. That code is open-source, and licensed under the GPL. I own the copyright on it, but I allow others to use it if they meet the terms of the license (GPL). I did so because I believe in sharing and if someone finds my work useful they can build upon it and maybe even improve it. Regardless of WHY I did it it's legally binding and he needs to provide the source for his work now too.
    • Violation of the GPL, part 3. This one really gets my blood boiling, and this is where my disclaimer above is most needed: "full rewritten of the video output part with opengles"?!??!? Yes I know you were told this but this couldn't be farther from the truth. This might take some background but I'll try to be clear:

The big thing about GLESv2 is the use of 'shaders'. These shaders are little programs you write that the GPU itself runs, letting you program your GPU to make it do exactly what you want. When your program runs, it says to the GPU "hey gpu, here's the source code for this shader to run, so when I say 'do your thing' you know what I mean'", and hands over the program in source form which is compiled and executed. Writing this shader is what it means to write for GLESv2 other than some minimal calls to upload your textures and whatnot.

Okay, so he wrote this awesome renderer? Pretty hot stuff, I know I'm impressed. Took me forever to write the GLES code for VBA and it's pretty simple (I'm no graphics guy). Lucky for me because this shader is fed to the GPU at runtime, it has to be in the program binary (unless you go to efforts to hide it). There's a tool called 'strings' that helps you find strings from a program/binary. Let's look at this brilliant genuis' work:

Gpsp's shader code

Okay that might mean nothing to you. But to me it looks a little familiar. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh YEAH. *I* wrote that code!

Look familiar?

While the variable names are rather generic, look at the trailing whitespace (clear on my version, highlight the other with your mouse to see it). You're telling me he just happened to write exactly the same shader with exactly the same spacing for the same kind of application (emulator) after he already stole my rom selector? Yeaahhhhhh, /okay/. If so I have a bridge I'm interested in selling you....

I think this is pretty clear. My favorite part is that this "rewritten GLESv2 renderer" not only is a glorified /blit/ routine that happens to be faster (meaning he didn't have to do ANYTHING other than drop my code in place and point it at his rendering buffer), it's not even the latest version! He can't follow the updates I've made to the code! Woooo. So not only is he stealing code but doing so ineffectively.

Finally, while I'm "proving" he stole my GLES code, his code also contains function names that have the same as my GL code, GL_Init and GL_InitTexture--which don't match the rest of the naming scheme, and aren't exactly popular function names: GL_InitTexture GL_Init - Google Search (Zero results at the time of writing). So he stole THAT as well. Yippee.
    • It's not actually better than VBA? This is debatable of course but his first version that he claimed ran everything fullspeed and was better than VBA I was unable (in my admittedly limited testing of ~20 popular titles) to find one that was as good as VBA let alone better. And that was without sound. This version is much better than the previous, but I made it through about 5 titles before deciding it wasn't it. Limited compatibility, buggy sound. Try Golden Sun, I bet you won't make it past the entering your name without deciding to give up. It does do a few things better (Final Fantasy IV intro for example) but even then the sound is off missing and it's terribly slow in some places of the same ROM). This is one of the reasons I went with VBA in the first place because I wanted something that worked reliably and reasonably well for everything, even if slower. This guy seems to got about as far as i did with gpsp (errr he's using a newer gcc and a better memcpy implementation, neither of which he wrote? Oh and I didn't have GLES rendering code to steal) before I decided to go with VBA for it's stability and hoping I could speed it up if I worked at it.

That said I have nothing but the utmost respect for the authors of the (original) gpsp code, writing that kind of dynarec thing is INTENSE and kudos. Also the devices gpsp was written for originally REALLY needed that kind of emulator (dynarec)--VBA (interpreter) would never, ever, be fast enough. However dynarecs are generally a tad buggy even when done *brilliantly* and suffer from timing problems, both of which I was hoping to avoid.
    • That ipk he ships is ILLEGAL to distribute (beyond the GPL issues, although those are sufficient) because it contains a gba_bios.bin--stuff that's copyright of Nintendo. The original authors of GPSP don't ship it for this reason.
    • Features. You can ignore this, as perhaps with time and dedication he can bring it up to feature-parody with VBA. However for now it's just not there, and it shows. *Sarcasm* I bet I know where he can find code to help him bring it up to speed...

I think that's about it. I can of course provide more details if anyone wants, but please understand my motivation when I politely request that no one posts in this thread about how it's better--at least not until the above issues are resolved or addressed. You want to use it elsewhere, fine, and may you and the developer of that live long and happy lives, but don't post about it here please (again, unless things change).

Thank you.
    Last edited by dtzWill; 08/22/2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: touchups/formatting
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    It appears you're posting that with good intentions, so I'd like to apologize in advance if I seem a bit harsh or defensive. None of this is directed at you , but it DOES need to be said.

Here's the list of reasons we shouldn't use software:
    • Violation of the GPL, part 1. That port is based on gpsp which was only ever openly published under the GPL. It actually went closed-source because of people stealing code, and since then its authors (Exophase is the main one I believe) are a bit possessive of the source and keep it to themselves and those they trust (understandable given what happened). There is a minuscule chance the developer of this has such blessings, but given the rest of the issues here I don't think so.
    • Violation of the GPL, part 2. Just run that app. See that rom selector? Look, uh, familiar (for those who don't run it see youtube videos of the two apps to see what I mean)? That's because I wrote the whole thing and he put his name on it and changed the font. That code is open-source, and licensed under the GPL. I own the copyright on it, but I allow others to use it if they meet the terms of the license (GPL). I did so because I believe in sharing and if someone finds my work useful they can build upon it and maybe even improve it. Regardless of WHY I did it it's legally binding and he needs to provide the source for his work now too.
    • Violation of the GPL, part 3. This one really gets my blood boiling, and this is where my disclaimer above is most needed: "full rewritten of the video output part with opengles"?!??!? Yes I know you were told this but this couldn't be farther from the truth. This might take some background but I'll try to be clear:

The big thing about GLESv2 is the use of 'shaders'. These shaders are little programs you write that the GPU itself runs, letting you program your GPU to make it do exactly what you want. When your program runs, it says to the GPU "hey gpu, here's the source code for this shader to run, so when I say 'do your thing' you know what I mean'", and hands over the program in source form which is compiled and executed. Writing this shader is what it means to write for GLESv2 other than some minimal calls to upload your textures and whatnot.

Okay, so he wrote this awesome renderer? Pretty hot stuff, I know I'm impressed. Took me forever to write the GLES code for VBA and it's pretty simple (I'm no graphics guy). Lucky for me because this shader is fed to the GPU at runtime, it has to be in the program binary (unless you go to efforts to hide it). There's a tool called 'strings' that helps you find strings from a program/binary. Let's look at this brilliant genuis' work:

Gpsp's shader code

Okay that might mean nothing to you. But to me it looks a little familiar. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh YEAH. *I* wrote that code!

Look familiar?

While the variable names are rather generic, look at the trailing whitespace (clear on my version, highlight the other with your mouse to see it). You're telling me he just happened to write exactly the same shader with exactly the same spacing for the same kind of application (emulator) after he already stole my rom selector? Yeaahhhhhh, /okay/. If so I have a bridge I'm interested in selling you....

I think this is pretty clear. My favorite part is that this "rewritten GLESv2 renderer" not only is a glorified /blit/ routine that happens to be faster (meaning he didn't have to do ANYTHING other than drop my code in place and point it at his rendering buffer), it's not even the latest version! He can't follow the updates I've made to the code! Woooo. So not only is he stealing code but doing so ineffectively.

Finally, while I'm "proving" he stole my GLES code, his code also contains function names that have the same as my GL code, GL_Init and GL_InitTexture--which don't match the rest of the naming scheme, and aren't exactly popular function names: GL_InitTexture GL_Init - Google Search (Zero results at the time of writing). So he stole THAT as well. Yippee.
    • It's not actually better than VBA? This is debatable of course but his first version that he claimed ran everything fullspeed and was better than VBA I was unable (in my admittedly limited testing of ~20 popular titles) to find one that was as good as VBA let alone better. And that was without sound. This version is much better than the previous, but I made it through about 5 titles before deciding it wasn't it. Limited compatibility, buggy sound. Try Golden Sun, I bet you won't make it past the entering your name without deciding to give up. It does do a few things better (Final Fantasy IV intro for example) but even then the sound is off missing and it's terribly slow in some places of the same ROM). This is one of the reasons I went with VBA in the first place because I wanted something that worked reliably and reasonably well for everything, even if slower. This guy seems to got about as far as i did with gpsp (errr he's using a newer gcc and a better memcpy implementation, neither of which he wrote? Oh and I didn't have GLES rendering code to steal) before I decided to go with VBA for it's stability and hoping I could speed it up if I worked at it.

That said I have nothing but the utmost respect for the authors of the (original) gpsp code, writing that kind of dynarec thing is INTENSE and kudos. Also the devices gpsp was written for originally REALLY needed that kind of emulator (dynarec)--VBA (interpreter) would never, ever, be fast enough. However dynarecs are generally a tad buggy even when done *brilliantly* and suffer from timing problems, both of which I was hoping to avoid.
    • That ipk he ships is ILLEGAL to distribute (beyond the GPL issues, although those are sufficient) because it contains a gba_bios.bin--stuff that's copyright of Nintendo. The original authors of GPSP don't ship it for this reason.
    • Features. You can ignore this, as perhaps with time and dedication he can bring it up to feature-parody with VBA. However for now it's just not there, and it shows. *Sarcasm* I bet I know where he can find code to help him bring it up to speed...

I think that's about it. I can of course provide more details if anyone wants, but please understand my motivation when I politely request that no one posts in this thread about how it's better--at least not until the above issues are resolved or addressed. You want to use it elsewhere, fine, and may you and the developer of that live long and happy lives, but don't post about it here please (again, unless things change).

Thank you.
    I am deeply deeply sorry. My apologies. I don't know the story behind. I really don't mean to.
    Hey dtzWill, I finally finished it! A skin for the launcher. What do you think? It's meant to emulate the screen of the Gameboy Color, though I have a few more tweaks I'd like to add.

8.    #928  
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonadeRDX View Post
    I am deeply deeply sorry. My apologies. I don't know the story behind. I really don't mean to.
    You're totally fine, and "apology accepted" as if that needed to be done . I just wanted to clear that up for everyone.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

[QUOTE=Zen00;2620500]Hey dtzWill, I finally finished it! A skin for the launcher. What do you think? It's meant to emulate the screen of the Gameboy Color, though I have a few more tweaks I'd like to add.

[IMG]

Is this a skin theme for VBA? It looks really good! I'm glad people haven't stopped creating skins for VBA.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

[QUOTE=the2ndflood;2620537]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Hey dtzWill, I finally finished it! A skin for the launcher. What do you think? It's meant to emulate the screen of the Gameboy Color, though I have a few more tweaks I'd like to add.

[IMG]

Is this a skin theme for VBA? It looks really good! I'm glad people haven't stopped creating skins for VBA.
    I would actually really love to help make some skins for the main menu or the game screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    [QUOTE=Jakeeeee;2620564]
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post

I would actually really love to help make some skins for the main menu or the game screen.
    . Weth

If you can make them, then you should make them. The VBA emulator really can't have too many skins. I'm still looking for someone that can make an Olivia Munn and Vanessa Lengies theme. I tried on my own, but I couldn't figure it out.

Hi,

First off, HUGE KUDOS to the folks that wrote this thing. VERY nicely done.

I installed it out of Preware, and I have one strange glitch I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for: in the gameplay screen, my D-pad is on the left as usual, but my A and B buttons are missing on the right. Through trial and error, I've figured out where to tap for them, but they don't show up. Installed it on my wife's pre, and they show up fine.

So this is obviously not a flaw with the program, just some kind of install glitch I experienced. I tried removing and reinstalling, but I have the same problem.

I don't really mind, except I only really put this on our phones for our son to play with... and while I'm ok with "just knowing where to tap", it's a little tougher for a 5 year old lol.

Any suggestions?

Thanks... and thanks again for writing this stuff!
  13.    #933  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post
    Hi,

First off, HUGE KUDOS to the folks that wrote this thing. VERY nicely done.

I installed it out of Preware, and I have one strange glitch I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for: in the gameplay screen, my D-pad is on the left as usual, but my A and B buttons are missing on the right. Through trial and error, I've figured out where to tap for them, but they don't show up. Installed it on my wife's pre, and they show up fine.

So this is obviously not a flaw with the program, just some kind of install glitch I experienced. I tried removing and reinstalling, but I have the same problem.

I don't really mind, except I only really put this on our phones for our son to play with... and while I'm ok with "just knowing where to tap", it's a little tougher for a 5 year old lol.

Any suggestions?

Thanks... and thanks again for writing this stuff!
    Sounds like you're using a different skin than the default (the one pictured in preware, etc). It actually ships with a number of skins, to change them:

• Swipe back while playing to pull up the menu
    • Tap 'skins'
    • Toggle through the skins to find the one you want

The skin you describe is a skin that exists --it was created to make use of more screen space, expecting you to pull the keyboard out and use THAT for your a/b, which works great.

Let me know if you have any further issues or if this doesn't resolve it for you .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Oh for...

Sorry man! You're right of course, I just had to change skins.

Ya know, I NOTICED the skins option, but figured that since I didn't install any, or change it, that shouldn't have been the issue. That's what I get for figuring. No idea how it got changed, but it's all good now!
    Suggestion to fix the problem experienced above:
    In the menu, have a number next to "Skins" to show that there are # number of skins.
    So it'll look like

Skins (6)

That should just throw the message to a newbie that there ARE skins shipped with it.
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
  16.    #936  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    Suggestion to fix the problem experienced above:
    In the menu, have a number next to "Skins" to show that there are # number of skins.
    So it'll look like

Skins (6)

That should just throw the message to a newbie that there ARE skins shipped with it.
    Good idea. Implemented in git. Thanks!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post

I installed it out of Preware, and I have one strange glitch I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for: in the gameplay screen, my D-pad is on the left as usual, but my A and B buttons are missing on the right. Through trial and error, I've figured out where to tap for them, but they don't show up.
    Yeah this sounds like a skin issue. Try pressing the Orange-Key and Q. That will cycle through your skins. If you don't have any other skins installed, then download them through this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...nce-skins.html
    Create a folder called "skins" on your phones USB drive. Then just add the new skins to that folder. Each new skin will have a different controler layout. For me, I like the ones that allow for a larger screen view like Big Screen, Forrest, Cfbauer, ect.

Hey all, just updated that Selection Menu skin a bit. Please give me some comments/suggestions! dtzWill, if you need this thing in parts for use, I have the individual components as well.

Do you guys like the "Visual Boy" where it is, or would having it moved to the left be better? I can't decide! (Side by Side added)

* Tweaked the image a little for best presentation.
    * Added power LED

Last edited by Zen00; 08/23/2010 at 09:35 AM.
    i load my Vba on my plam pre plus atnt and i get the image and then it jst lloads forever . idk why can any help. i have 1.4.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimahero1 View Post
    i load my Vba on my plam pre plus atnt and i get the image and then it jst lloads forever . idk why can any help. i have 1.4.5
    Be a bit more specific... What rom are you choosing?
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!