Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    thanks will, and stone!

for snes emu why not use one thats optomised for ARM instead of x86?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    This has come up before--and I agree the d-pad is a bit difficult to use.

However, I don't understand what people mean when they say they want a virtual joystick instead. I'm sorry if I'm being dense, and a patient clear explanation would be appreciated.

Since I'd like to improve the d-pad, or at least make sure it's as good as we can get it, here's my thoughts on the matter and from that perhaps you can tell me what I don't understand/your ideas.

The way I see it the most obvious difference of a virtual joystick is rendering a moving joystick in response to moving your finger (like in quake, or better yet like in some of the commercial games).

However I get the feeling people aren't asking about the joystick rendering (helping via visual feedback or something), but rather a different algorithm to convert touch location to something to give the GBA. If this is wrong and people are just wanting a different visual I can do that, although short of some convincing it won't be a high priority.

The rest of this is assuming we're talking about a different method for interpreting screen presses and turning those into something the GBA can use.

First--remember the GBA has a d-pad which is what all the games use for directional input. This means that the 'up' button is either pressed or not pressed, same for down, left, and right 'buttons'. There is no degree to which 'up' is pressed, it's either pressed or it isn't.

Joysticks, on the other hand, are good for games/situations that have degrees to which a direction is pressed--this works well in FPS's, again like in quake--where you want to be able to control the speed at which you move, and whatnot.

Since each button (up/down/left/right) has to be either pressed or not, one way to view the d-pad is with an area for each button such that when a finger is in each area the corresponding button is pushed down. Of course it makes sense to have these areas partially overlapping such that you can with a single finger do 'up/right', etc.
    (More abstractly, we need to define (x,y)->{0,1} for each button, which is probably best visualized as each button having an area in which the button is considered pressed)

The present scheme defines the 'd-pad' as a circle, where 'up' is from 30 degrees to 150 degrees (30 short of 180). The remaining button areas are similarly configured (rotated appropriately). There also is a deadzone circle in the middle for which button presses are *not* counted to give you a neutral place to rest your finger/etc. This is similar to pushing directly on the middle of a physical d-pad--nothing happens.

FWIW the size of the deadzone (how far from the center of the dpad you have to move before your press is recognized) and the size of the dpad (how far you can move from the center before your press is ignored as no longer being on the dpad) are both configurations of the skin designers.

All that said and done (so you understand where I come from, and why things are the way they are), what does it mean to have a "virtual joystick" (how does that work?) and how would it be better?

Again I'll readily admit I'm no fan of the current system and am rather eager to improve upon it. Sorry for the long explanation but hopefully it encourages a discussion that is useful and we can get this resolved so we can all rescue princesses and fire off hadoukens .
    honestly i dont care for the VISUAL what i mean is: its hard for me to find where the up/down/left/right locations are like in the heat of a battle say in zelda, most of my complaints come from my finger either sliding my thumb too much to the right left up or down so my character stops moving.... basically i would love to have a d-pad/stick where if i slide my thumb right and move out of the d-pad the character still moves the same direction whether its up down left or right. its hard to explain through text lol and im sorry im not clear. basically in dungeon hunter and hero of sparta when u slide the stick any direction, you move even if u slide ur thumb further than the area where virtual stick is. let me know if u still dont get what im saying or if what im saying is impossible. I hope it can be done .:fingers crossed:.
  3.    #883  
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    honestly i dont care for the VISUAL what i mean is: its hard for me to find where the up/down/left/right locations are like in the heat of a battle say in zelda, most of my complaints come from my finger either sliding my thumb too much to the right left up or down so my character stops moving.... basically i would love to have a d-pod/stick where if i slide my thumb right and move out of the d-pad it still moves same to up down and left. its hard to explain through text lol and im sorry im not clear. basically in dungeon hunter and hero of sparta when u slide the stick any direction, you move even if u slide ur thumb further than the area where virtual stick is. let me know if u still dont get what im saying or if what im saying is impossible. I hope it can be done .:fingers crossed:.
    Find your favorite skin and change

"touch_joy_radius" up from whatever it is (70?) to something larger (100? 120?). Perhaps try setting it extra large to see what it does.

Note that if you make the dpad TOO big it will 'cover' other buttons.

The reason this isn't higher by default (I assume most skin designers were interested in the graphic and didn't tweak this value a whole lot) is to encourage you to stay near the center so if you were running headlong you could quickly change direction--where as if you're 3x as far from the center you can't really do that.

But, the choice should be yours and it is. Let me know if you have any issues editing the skins.

Errr real quick, the file you want is:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.visualboyadvance/skins/SKINNAME/controller.cfg

where "SKINNAME" is the skin you're using. Look at the controller.png if you're not sure.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    I was thinking the other day how neat it would be if there was a physical controller attachment for these sort of things. I'm used to the tactile feel of the controller so I'm finding it hard to adapt to virtual controls and kb controls are ok but not quite the same as a controller. I wonder if it is possible to make something that sticks to the screen for the tactile feel and pressing it registers the touches. Anyone have any ideas for a DIY thing like this?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    First of all: thank you Mr. dtzwill for this excelent piece of software. I enjoyed playing GB since i was a kid.

I run webos 1.4.5 and your vba was running like a charme till yesterday. Well, it still runs, if started in a terminal, but it refuses to do so from the launcher. 3 Apps dont start anymore. I rebooted several times, switched off bg apps, tried different system speeds, no change. Could it be I broke a sandbox somehow? I'm not aware of anything I did

I know this is not vba specific, since it occurs on 2 other apps, but maybe you can help finding the bug.

thanks in advance,

masterhit / nils andreas
    MUCH BETTER! thank you so much for the quick response and solution and of course for the VBA
  7.    #887  
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    MUCH BETTER! thank you so much for the quick response and solution and of course for the VBA
    You're welcome, on both counts .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

8.    #888  
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
    First of all: thank you Mr. dtzwill for this excelent piece of software. I enjoyed playing GB since i was a kid.

I run webos 1.4.5 and your vba was running like a charme till yesterday. Well, it still runs, if started in a terminal, but it refuses to do so from the launcher. 3 Apps dont start anymore. I rebooted several times, switched off bg apps, tried different system speeds, no change. Could it be I broke a sandbox somehow? I'm not aware of anything I did

I know this is not vba specific, since it occurs on 2 other apps, but maybe you can help finding the bug.

thanks in advance,

masterhit / nils andreas
    I don't have any ideas, I'm sorry. It could be so many things, and I personally haven't seen this behavior. You might consider starting a new thread so people who know can help--chances are they won't find your post buried in the VBA thread .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

I don't know how long I've had VBA now, but I've only just now discovered the "change screen orientation" command. WOW!!! Makes it way easier to play RPG games using a keypad.
  10. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    so I noticed somethina recently about VBA. I was playing vba with sound and stock kernal and the game I was playing (pokemon fire red) averaged around 60% speed. However I made a discovery. I went into cardview to check another program. When I refocused VBA, for a split second, it played at full speed. At first I thout it was just the sound, but after some testing it seems the animation smoothes as well. This only seems to work if I stay in card view for at least a few seconds. Can anyone else replicate this? Also, could this mean that VBA could be running much faster but there is something in webos which is limiting it?
    Without paying attention, I updated the VisualBoyAdvance app to the latest version. Later, I realized it requires 1.4.5 and I am on Verizon. Is there a way, someone can send me the ipk for the last app version compatible with webOS 1.4.1.1 (1.1.2)? I would greatly appreciate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by datboi208 View Post
    Without paying attention, I updated the VisualBoyAdvance app to the latest version. Later, I realized it requires 1.4.5 and I am on Verizon. Is there a way, someone can send me the ipk for the last app version compatible with webOS ? I would greatly appreciate it!
    Download from ipkg.preware.org/feeds and install with Preware's Install Package menu item.

-- Rod
  13.    #893  
    Announcing VBA 1.3.0!!

Biggest change here is the new /menu/ system that makes for much easier use than the "obscure and perhaps awkward keybindings you have to get from the wiki" system from before. Which, of course, is still there .

More formal changelog:
    • Improved UI, new menu. Menu includes save states, settings, skins, and in-game help!
    • Turbo toggle (see the settings menu). When activated the turbo button toggles turbo instead of only being on while the button is down.
    • Autosave defaults to being on. Your existing settings should stay in tact, but new users I think this is useful.
    • Support saving in Tactics Ogre. Note that you'll have to delete the corresponding *.sav and *.sgm files (aka START OVER) to see this in effect. Sorry.
    • Misc minor bug fixes, including one in the rom selector.

It's already in Preware, so fire up your updaters .

Have a good one and happy gaming.
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

How do you change the radius of the overlay (touchscreen) controls. Also, it there any way you can create a transparent overlay (touchscreen) controls like the ones used in the iphone versions of Final Fantasy I and II? http://www.maxconsole.net/attachment...2&d=1267644076
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    dtzWill, I think it's time you get a subforum for your work on this.
    There's well over 400 posts in this thread and no one will volunteer to read every single page when they come with a concern or such. Having a subforum should make the work and questioning much more streamlined.

For example, there should be a thread for announcements and changelog, thread for skins, a thread for controls, a thread for suggestions, thread for issues, thread for coding(such as the complex on screen control system discussion).

Of course this could all be just a wiki but some people desire the ability to discuss freely.

This would make it easier on users who want to check updates on a specific section for vba.

Re-Posting this because it's even MORE necessary now with repeat questions.
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
  16.    #896  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    Re-Posting this because it's even MORE necessary now with repeat questions.
    I agree that this curent thing isn't the best, but not sure what the best solution is. Don't think I can create my own subforum anyway . Could we create one under webos-internals?
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

[QUOTE=dpaul420;2618102]How do you change the radius of the overlay (touchscreen) controls. Also, it there any way you can create a transparent overlay (touchscreen) controls like the ones used in the iphone versions of Final Fantasy I and II? [URL]

this is exactly what I want. skins are nice but make the viewing too small on an already small screen. I would love it if there were some transparent overlay butons and a dpad with a sligtly larger radious similar to a joysticks movement. (moving away from dpad in a direction stil makes you go that direction.) mostly concerned with transparent overlay though would make this perfect maybe transparency at like 90-95 so it's not too obscuring but still easy to see.
  18.    #898  
    For those who haven't been following this thread all along, let me repeat what I've said preivously--

When I first made controls I did it with transparent overlays. Seemed the right way, and thought it would be useful.

However, it was SLLOOWWWWW. Can't-even-play-regular-gameboy-games slow. So I chucked it and haven't revisited it since focusing on making the emulator itself faster and adding usability features (like the new menu! ).

That said, my OpenGL-** has increased substantially since then, perhaps it's worth revisiting.

I'm making no promises, and maybe it will just be slow and terrible again. We'll see. But I'm not ignoring you, it's just that I already tried that and it didn't work, so it's extra hard to convince me to revisit it.

Anyway, thanks for using VBA and keep the suggestions coming, even if I'm reluctant .
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

19.    #899  
    That should read OpenGLfu, as in kung-** (kungfu). Apparently that's censored, heh.

Also... to make this so-far-worthless post a tad bit less so:

How do you all like the new menu? Do you use it? Is it useful? Just looking for some random feedback , thanks!
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

i like the new menu. keep up the good work.